Help the Pride of Minnesota travel to an away game next year!

Taji34

Reaction score
Many Big 10 marching bands travel to away games, but due to lack of funds the University of Minnesota Marching Band hasn't traveled (with the exception of bowl games) since 1996, before most current band members were born. We can change that!

A generous Band supporter is offering a dollar-for-dollar match up to $100,000 for donations made to the band’s new travel fund until the end of March. If we can reach the goal, the band will be able to travel to one of two key away games to Nebraska or Ohio State during the 2018 season and save for travel for the 2019 season. The hope is to turn this fund into an endowment that can support travel for many years to come.

Hoping to ride on the excitement of the Super Bowl halftime, the band have started a crowd funding campaign to travel to an away game next year! Many of us here have talked about how we would love to see the band travel, and now is our time to help!

Donate here: https://crowdfund.umn.edu/PrideofMN

I donated - thank you for posting this! It would be great to get the entire band on a road game this year!

I donated - thank you for posting this! It would be great to get the entire band on a road game this year!

Just made my donation. Waiting on lottery winnings to build that offensive line facility and send the band on the road for 10 years! :)

Can someone put it on the local rags?

Can someone put it on the local rags?

Most local news stations have covered the band playing in the Super Bowl halftime, and I would assume its been mentioned to them, so maybe we'll see something? Maybe not a separate article though, just a sentence or two at the bottom of the Super Bowl halftime coverage.

$14,100 in days is pretty great though! Hopefully the trend stays that way.

Update: Only http://mspmag.com has mentioned the crowdfunding campaign in their Super Bowl Halftime coverage. WCCO embeded a tweet that mentions it as well.

Maybe someone who has a Twitter account contact Justin Timberlake to spread the news about the crowd funding for the U Marching Band.

It is sad that a Big Ten school has to have a fundraiser for this. This should happen once a year automatically. Penn State has a pep band that goes to every away game. I thought they were supposed to go to the Iowa game last year?

It is sad that a Big Ten school has to have a fundraiser for this. This should happen once a year automatically. Penn State has a pep band that goes to every away game. I thought they were supposed to go to the Iowa game last year?

They were, but I believe it was contingent on the Athletics Department being willing to provide enough money to cover costs. That didn't happen, so they didn't travel.

They were, but I believe it was contingent on the Athletics Department being willing to provide enough money to cover costs. That didn't happen, so they didn't travel.

It is so sad how little our Athletic Dept. cares about branding. Having a large, good Marching Band visible on TV one the road at least once a year counts for a lot, and brings a little energy to the road team and fans. The Iowa fans at least would have appreciated the band, as they seem to think the HMB has some shortcomings relative to the 80's.. I did like the Iowa Beer Band (played in Iowa City Taverns on game weekends) before the PC crowd killed them. Love the "alternate" fight songs starting with the "Rouser" at 4:15 followed by "across the field", "our Indiana", then 'the Victors". Crude but a great old tradition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3pVjsYr6NY

Even the Indiana Band and Northwestern bands travel. How much could it possibly cost to get 6-7 buses, load up the Berger equipment truck and head 4 hours south at 4-5 AM on gameday to Iowa City? The band goes through hell preparing all week, also in Spat Camp August, so a 16 hour day with 8 hours (sleeping some)in the bus is not going to kill anyone, one Saturday a year.

The Ohio State band rode in buses for 12 plus hours to get to Minneapolis in 2010, stayed one night in a hotel and then rode in those buses again for 12 plus hours after the game. It probably was not cheap, even a bare bones as that was, and they have more resources, but the Athletic Dept. needs to step up a little bit.

It is so sad how little our Athletic Dept. cares about branding. Having a large, good Marching Band visible on TV one the road at least once a year counts for a lot, and brings a little energy to the road team and fans. The Iowa fans at least would have appreciated the band, as they seem to think the HMB has some shortcomings relative to the 80's.. I did like the Iowa Beer Band (played in Iowa City Taverns on game weekends) before the PC crowd killed them. Love the "alternate" fight songs starting with the "Rouser" at 4:15 followed by "across the field", "our Indiana", then 'the Victors". Crude but a great old tradition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3pVjsYr6NY

Even the Indiana Band and Northwestern bands travel. How much could it possibly cost to get 6-7 buses, load up the Berger equipment truck and head 4 hours south at 4-5 AM on gameday to Iowa City? The band goes through hell preparing all week, also in Spat Camp August, so a 16 hour day with 8 hours (sleeping some)in the bus is not going to kill anyone, one Saturday a year.

The Ohio State band rode in buses for 12 plus hours to get to Minneapolis in 2010, stayed one night in a hotel and then rode in those buses again for 12 plus hours after the game. It probably was not cheap, even a bare bones as that was, and they have more resources, but the Athletic Dept. needs to step up a little bit.

Agreed. Iowa is probably the cheapest away game to send the band to, so it really was kinda embarrassing. Hopefully if the band can raise the money and travel there will be enough fan appreciation to coax the AD to spend a bit more money for the band traveling in the future.

Yes, the Iowa game should be possible every other year, and Nebraska or Northwestern would be reasonable to keep the cost down. For me a trip the Michigan Stadium would be nice as well (note band member at 9:34 below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNFvecE_NAo

We all should know that the UW Athletic Department for years had made it impossible for any visiting band to ever go to Camp Randall. (and I am not talking about security, and stupid fans throwing objects). The UW band should be barred from all Big Ten stadiums until they fix this. Illinois or Penn State tried a couple of years ago.

I hope the band goes to Nebraska instead of Ohio State this year, as the band seems to have some relationship with Nebraska (they have been here 2x, and our little pep band was treated well back in 201?) and I want to be there, rather than at OSU.

Top Bottom