Washington Claims Big Ten Freshman of the Week Award

GopherLady

Reaction score
Congrats to Jelly! He had a phenomenal week!

After a week in which he set new career scoring highs in back-to-back games, Minnesota guard Isaiah Washington was tabbed as the Big Ten Freshman of the Week, the conference announced Monday.

It is the first weekly award for the Harlem, N.Y., native and the first for the Gophers since junior Jordan Murphy was named Player of the Week in three consecutive weeks in November.

Washington averaged 20.5 points per game last week at Iowa and Michigan. On Tuesday in Iowa City, Washington scored 15 points along with seven assists, one rebound and a steal in 25 minutes of action. Four days later, the 6-1 guard exploded for a game-high 26 points on 11-of-16 shooting

(68.8 percent), adding six rebounds and three assists in 32 minutes of play.

His scoring total against the Wolverines marked the most by a Big Ten freshman in a conference game this season, and the second-highest by a newcomer in any game this year (Geo Baker – Rutgers, 29 pts. vs. Bryant).

Washington’s scoring in Ann Arbor was the most in a single game by a Gopher freshman since Amir Coffey had 30 points against St. John’s on Nov. 18, 2016, and the most by a Gopher freshman in conference play since Kris Humphries in 2004. Washington currently is third on the Gophers in assists (58) and sixth in scoring (7.7 ppg).

He becomes the first Gopher to win the top weekly freshman award since Coffey did so twice last year, most recently on Jan. 9, 2017.

The Gophers are back in action at home on Tuesday night, hosting Nebraska at 8:00 p.m.

Very deserving and a great builder of confidence! A smart kid as well and I especially liked the last game where he was careful not to overplay a great first half late in the second half. Mich was much more keyed in on him in the second half and you could tell that he saw that.

Congrats to IW !! That's awesome! Thank you for the post Nadine.

IW in last 3 games: 18 assists, 2 turnovers. 9:1 assist:turnover ratio while logging a lot of minutes

Love it. He was only 3 of 13 from the floor but the 9 assists make up for that. you can really see him figuring it out. gonna be fun to watch the next 3 years.

Wait. I thought he was going to transfer? :rolleyes:

Love it. He was only 3 of 13 from the floor but the 9 assists make up for that. you can really see him figuring it out. gonna be fun to watch the next 3 years.

He was 4/10 at one point then missed some late. I think his shot selection has been much much better. Once he learns to not get blocked on layups he'll shoot 20% better.

Congratulations to Isaiah.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom