PJ Fleck Interview on Sports Huddle 2-4-18

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher FB Coach PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle on WCCO on Sunday.

Sid: how do you like your appearance at Super Bowl deal?
PJF: first part of the week been out recruiting. had a few days to enjoy (Super Bowl) activities. wonderful how city embraces Super Bowl. special - city did tremendous job. very proud to have it here.

Sid: are you using the new facilities?
PJF: nice to have the Eagles here. good for players. lot of NFL players stopped by and talked to us. our facility is on display. Eagles saying it's one of the best facilities they've ever seen. should be proud to hear that. our players have bee in it for about 3 weeks. love it. lot of fun to share it with NFL.

Sid: the Eagles liked it?
PJF: huge statement. they've seen multiple facilities. they said it's just as good if not better than the top programs in America. everyone who's contributed should be really proud of what we have. you can tell the difference when you recruit. very excited.

Max: you have a coaching tree. any connection to Eagles staff or players?
PJF: lists some players from Patriots he knows (couldn't catch the names). knows a scout for the Eagles. fun to have people you know in town.

Sid: new setup with the coaches
PJF: change is healthy. part of being a head coach is making sure staff gets to where they want to be. I hire people, I ask them about their dreams. how can I help you accomplish them. proud of coaches when they move up. going to top-5 program. we want to make MN a place where nobody wants to leave because we're at that top level. excited for people we're bringing in.

Mona: when you hire people, how do you balance recruiting vs. coaching ability?
PJF: changes based on who's leaving. when we hire a coach, there are 5 categories we evaluate. we ask, are we too heavy in just coaching, or just recruiting? what do we need. we have tremendous coaches. not a guy on this staff who can't be a coordinator or a head coach some day. we have dynamic recruiters. they care about young people - invested in their lives. want them to be better husbands, fathers. like to find the young guys who are bright, brilliant minds - need a shot. bring guys in here and give them their shot. give them a chance - find the next generation of coaches.

Sid: the team has been top academically. what about last grades?
PJF: best GPA ever in history of Gopher FB after fall semester. the players have been through a ton of change and adjustment. give academic staff a lot of credit - coaching staff and players - being a true student-athlete. students first. that's what they're here to do - get education. give support staff lot of credit. players buy into that. getting results I want them to see. continue to change their best.

Sid: impression on new recruits who enrolled early
PJF: Dunlap, Faalele, Vic - getting a head start. involved in our winter development program. develop in all four areas of life. lot of demands in our program to be a better person every day. get a lot of growth.

Mona: (early enrollees) do they go back and graduate with HS class?
PJF: yes. that's really important.

Max: what about Prom? (ha, ha)
PFJ: if it's a weekend where they're off, they're welcome to go back. they're going through a big adjustment to college life, student life. going through a lot of changes.

Sid: appreciate you being on the air. Murray's.
PJF: RTB, Ski-U-Mah. enjoy the Super Bowl.

Thanks for the update Son, very much appreciated. I'm sure the players enjoy hanging around the Eagle Players. Don't know for a fact that their was a lot of interaction but assuming there was. Anyone know?

Thanks for the update Son, very much appreciated. I'm sure the players enjoy hanging around the Eagle Players. Don't know for a fact that their was a lot of interaction but assuming there was. Anyone know?
Thanks, shorty. Always a great job. Even cooler hanging out with Eagles since they won. Hope none of their thugs damaged our culture. LOL!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom