As Gophers found out, transfers can make a big impact to revive a team's fortunes

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Akeem Springs and Reggie Lynch with the Gophers had probably the biggest impact of any two transfers in the Big Ten last year.

Springs graduated, and the loss of Lynch, a 6-foot-10 senior center, to a suspension a month ago has taken the Gophers — 1-7 without him — out of NCAA tournament contention.

Where would Michigan be without Matthews this season? He helped lessen the loss of All-Big Ten guard Derrick Walton Jr. to graduation and forward D.J. Wilson early to the NBA.

“He’s been able to come in and give them significant minutes and be really good, so that’s important,” Gophers coach Richard Pitino said. “When you’re getting a transfer like we did — Reggie was one of those guys — you never know how the pieces are going to fit when you add a transfer. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Clearly it’s working [with Matthews]. He’s fitting right in with their team. Sometimes it takes some time.”

http://www.startribune.com/as-gophe...impact-to-revive-a-team-s-fortunes/472449183/

Go Gophers!!

Fitzgerald is finally coming on ( two years not playing took its effect) - stockman is now a year under the system and if he can give us anything as a rs senior we’ll be in good shape next year.

Fitzgerald is finally coming on ( two years not playing took its effect) - stockman is now a year under the system and if he can give us anything as a rs senior we’ll be in good shape next year.

Not ragging on you Thymanst, I hope Stockman provides something next year too. In order for a situation like this to be deemed successful, Stockman should be good, not provide some depth. He should be a good, solid player that can be in the starting lineup in my opinion. One year for two should give a team more than just some depth. (His roster management has been called into question often, so it's nothing new.)

Michigan has another transfer playing this year as well, Jaaron Simmons who played at Houston his freshman year then at Ohio University the past two seasons. He's a graduate transfer and the thinking was he would have a good shot to beat out the sophomore and freshman PGs for the starting role. He hasn't panned out at all, and despite his game experience barely gets any game time at all, and seems more like a liability when he's on the floor. Obviously a transfer from Kentucky (Matthews) is a much better bet than one from a MAC team, but sometimes players that seem like they should work out fall short, for whatever reason.

Not ragging on you Thymanst, I hope Stockman provides something next year too. In order for a situation like this to be deemed successful, Stockman should be good, not provide some depth. He should be a good, solid player that can be in the starting lineup in my opinion. One year for two should give a team more than just some depth. (His roster management has been called into question often, so it's nothing new.)

With Oturu and curry looking for minutes he’s going to need to be good to see the floor. His size will help them in practice (learning to shoot over big guys) out:lynch, konate, gas - in: Oturu, curry, stockman - pretty optimistic anyone would take that trade.

With Oturu and curry looking for minutes he’s going to need to be good to see the floor. His size will help them in practice (learning to shoot over big guys) out:lynch, konate, gas - in: Oturu, curry, stockman - pretty optimistic anyone would take that trade.

I like your “trade” analogy. Looks good to me. We mainly need Oturu to provide some interior defense and rim-protection as a freshman. Sounds like he is wired and ready for that. We know what we are getting back with Curry, and it’s all good. Stockman’s minutes will be interesting. He is so skinny, I wonder if he will be able to push those two for much playing time. My guess is that he will have to show some decent hands and post scoring to do so. Does anyone know how are his offensive skills? We haven’t had anyone over 7 feet since when?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is Lynch for sure out? Let’s say that he is yet vindicated. Why should he then lose his senior year?

Is Lynch for sure out? Let’s say that he is yet vindicated. Why should he then lose his senior year?

Next years big guys.... Lynch isn’t coming back - his hearing is end of feb. and his lawyer is saying that’s to soon....

Ok, I think I know what you are trying to say here, that since it was not Lynch's fault that he got falsely accused (SAYING he is found innocent), you are suggesting that maybe he could figure out a way to be found deserving or another season or half season of eligibility?

Wow, never even thought about that option. But honestly, for several reasons I just don't see that even being a possibility. #1, I doubt that is what Lynch would want, he is probably itching to get paid to play. #2, even if he got ruled innocent, would we want that stigma carrying on all through next season? And who is to say that there aren't more women out there for whatever reason waiting to make another accusation?

Ok, those are the obvious issues. Then there is the issue of the guys he'd screw over next season. Next year Curry is going to come in hoping for the starting position and Oturu and Stockman are probably going to be hoping for, and competing for significant back up minutes and even starts. Throw Lynch back into the mix, and NO ONE is happy, not Curry, not Oturu and definitely not Stockman who sat out a year figuring he'd only have 1, maybe 2 to beat out for playing time, not a former B1G Def POY. Hell, he could have stayed at UL if he wanted to be 3rd or 4th string.

And then there is the obvious question, that I may have already basically asked, would we want him back even? Risk of further accusations, risk of looking bad, risk of pissing off all the incoming guys, etc.?

I'd say, Lynch is gone, done deal. To even ponder his return is just silliness.

I like your “trade” analogy. Looks good to me. We mainly need Oturu to provide some interior defense and rim-protection as a freshman. Sounds like he is wired and ready for that. We know what we are getting back with Curry, and it’s all good. Stockman’s minutes will be interesting. He is so skinny, I wonder if he will be able to push those two for much playing time. My guess is that he will have to show some decent hands and post scoring to do so. Does anyone know how are his offensive skills? We haven’t had anyone over 7 feet since when?

Hey, if he can just be a lot better than Konate or Gaston, we could honestly have incredible depth at that position, totally unlike this year.

Seems to me, our only concern is depth at PG. One great game by IW doesn't guarantee anything, I mean, what if he gets injured? Nice to see Fitz finally playing better. Mentioned a few games back if he might even come back next year, may have even put out the idea that maybe it would help if he didn't, and it seemed almost as a response to my suggesting that he had a really good game? Maybe he's just needed time to get back into the flow of things? Maybe we'll have good depth at that position next season? Would be great.

I'm feeling better and better about next year every day it seems.

Ok, I think I know what you are trying.....

Ok, those are the obvious issues. Then there is the issue of the guys he'd screw over next season. Next year Curry is going to come in hoping for the starting position and Oturu and Stockman are probably going to be hoping for, and competing for significant back up minutes and even starts. Throw Lynch back into the mix, and NO ONE is happy, not Curry, not Oturu and definitely not Stockman who

And then there is the obvious question, that I may have already basically asked, would we want him back even? Risk of further accusations, risk of looking bad, risk of pissing off all the incoming guys, etc.?

I'd say, Lynch is gone, done deal. To even ponder his return is just silliness.
nice analysis. Except, if he is innocent, why would his return be his fault for screwing over others? If he is innocent it is not his fault he (hypothetically) returns next year. If anyone is wondering, I don’t have any concrete reason to say that he is innocent. It is a bit intriguing though his attorney mentioning those text messages from the accused. Hard to fathom why Lynch’s attorney makes the text messages up.

nice analysis. Except, if he is innocent, why would his return be his fault for screwing over others? If he is innocent it is not his fault he (hypothetically) returns next year. If anyone is wondering, I don’t have any concrete reason to say that he is innocent. It is a bit intriguing though his attorney mentioning those text messages from the accused. Hard to fathom why Lynch’s attorney makes the text messages up.
one other thing, my understanding from what I have read, he hasn’t been banned from play by the NCAA but by the UM. Does that make him eligible for another season at another school? Without having to sit out making him a quasi grad transfer?

Oh, I wouldn't be mad at Lynch if he got another year of eligibility and tried to come back next year, but is there even a scholarship available to him? If he came back as a PWO, how could you be mad at him???

But why would he do that knowing people would have mixed feelings about him, and when pro teams in Europe are probably willing to pay him to play for them?

Oh, I wouldn't be mad at Lynch if he got another year of eligibility and tried to come back next year, but is there even a scholarship available to him? If he came back as a PWO, how could you be mad at him???

But why would he do that knowing people would have mixed feelings about him, and when pro teams in Europe are probably willing to pay him to play for them?
Anger and pride. Again, I am not saying he is innocent, but if it turns out that he is.... sure he may want to go someplace and get paid, but if he would get vindicated his first paycheck might likely be from a settlement from the UM.

Anger and pride. Again, I am not saying he is innocent, but if it turns out that he is.... sure he may want to go someplace and get paid, but if he would get vindicated his first paycheck might likely be from a settlement from the UM.

Why? lol what did the U do wrong?

He might have a better chance going after the people who started the Metoo movement?

I don’t see any way he can petition for another year of eligibility. He played much of this year.

Top Bottom