IW stats conference games

Block M

Reaction score
Slash line looking a lot better after today:

37% FG; 32% 3-Pt FG; 90% FT; ~2:1 A/T

These are quite respectable numbers for a freshman. Today had to really boost the confidence!

These are quite respectable numbers for a freshman. Today had to really boost the confidence!
The two free throws late in the game were nothing but net.

Two games in a row.... good for him!

Pitino did the right thing by benching him...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This is heavily misleading. This game he just had heavily skewed everything and doesn't represent how he's been playing in the 9 other games.

27.2% FG, 27.2% 3-pt FG, 85.7%, 1.5 A/T

This is heavily misleading. This game he just had heavily skewed everything and doesn't represent how he's been playing in the 9 other games.

What, it's skewing it how? He's getting better and that bothers you?

This board was very fast in writing Washington off. How about you give him credit for having a great game?

What, it's skewing it how? He's getting better and that bothers you?
Where did I say it bothers me?

All I'm pointing out is that when the OP stated "he's playing pretty good in conference play" that it's misleading to give these stats without context.

1 great game out of 10 isn't indicative of good play. 1 amazing game rose all of his percentages from absolutely terrible to respectable. If he is consistently better from here on out then great, that wOuld be awesome to see him make progress. But I the grand scheme of things 1 amazing game does not reflect his play in the 9 other games.

It's amazing on this board how if you criticize anything you get attacked

This board was very fast in writing Washington off. How about you give him credit for having a great game?

I don’t remember very many writing him off - mostly attributing (his poor play) it to growing pains and learning curve.

Washington just needs to continue to let the game come to him and be a little smarter with his shot selection. The biggest difference with the Michigan game was that his circus shots were falling in addition to his quality shots. Michigan does not block many shots and certainly does not have a premier shot blocker on the team. He had an easier time finishing in the paint because of this. Either way, it was great game to boost his confidence, he just needs to continue to find quality shots and everyone around him needs to be ready to catch a pass when he gets into the lane.

Washington just needs to continue to let the game come to him and be a little smarter with his shot selection. The biggest difference with the Michigan game was that his circus shots were falling in addition to his quality shots. Michigan does not block many shots and certainly does not have a premier shot blocker on the team. He had an easier time finishing in the paint because of this. Either way, it was great game to boost his confidence, he just needs to continue to find quality shots and everyone around him needs to be ready to catch a pass when he gets into the lane.

This * 1000. He had some “lucky bounces” on his circus shots in this game. But to be fair, it seemed to me that he had a lot of bad-luck bounces in prior games. Bottom line I hope he can learn better when it is a good time vs. a bad time to drive the lane. Also, as you say, the players better not only be ready for a dish, but move themselves to get into better position for one.
It seemed to me in the Michigan game that the offensive sets rarely produced good shot opportunities off of passes, and either Mason or Washington had no choice but to take a wild drive into the lane and create something. Was that due more to poor offense, or good defense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two games in a row.... good for him!

Pitino did the right thing by benching him...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hopefully the light has finally gone on and he is figuring things out. 2 games is a small sample size but he has played really well in both games and seems to be doing a much better job of shot selection.

He needs to continue to play smart so that Pitino feels comfortable putting him out there over the remainder of the season. The more minutes he logs now, in what has become a lost season, the better. Can only help him in terms of getting ready to be the starting point guard next season.

Updated conference-only stats for IW in 18.8 MPG: 38% FG; 38% 3-Pt; 86% FT; 2.2 rb; 7:4 A/T ratio.

Sample size is getting larger and he is getting better. Quickly.

had a nice game last night!! I thought Dakich was going to ask him to the dance after the game.

Where did I say it bothers me?

All I'm pointing out is that when the OP stated "he's playing pretty good in conference play" that it's misleading to give these stats without context.

1 great game out of 10 isn't indicative of good play. 1 amazing game rose all of his percentages from absolutely terrible to respectable. If he is consistently better from here on out then great, that wOuld be awesome to see him make progress. But I the grand scheme of things 1 amazing game does not reflect his play in the 9 other games.

It's amazing on this board how if you criticize anything you get attacked

The game has slowed down for him. That is a sign of being coached well, making him sit, teaching him shot selection. Now if you grade him on every defensive possession he will score very poorly. Never going to win consistantly giving up 87. For the record the 87 is not on him it is on the staff.

The game has slowed down for him. That is a sign of being coached well, making him sit, teaching him shot selection. Now if you grade him on every defensive possession he will score very poorly. Never going to win consistantly giving up 87. For the record the 87 is not on him it is on the staff.

Agree on the shot selection. It was the thing that bugged me most about him earlier in the season, and has improved greatly over the last 5-6 games.

Yep the staff sucks. What were they thinking of putting that lineup out there last night? The coaching certainly has gotten way worse this year. I cannot figure out why Pitino benched Lynch, Curry, Coffey and McBrayer...all guys who seemed better at defense than these guys he is playing now. Any news on that?

Yep the staff sucks. What were they thinking of putting that lineup out there last night? The coaching certainly has gotten way worse this year. I cannot figure out why Pitino benched Lynch, Curry, Coffey and McBrayer...all guys who seemed better at defense than these guys he is playing now. Any news on that?

:clap::)

Your sarcasm is noted.
Your inability to admit that defense is less about athleticism and more about fundamental work ethic. Our Gophers may not be able to score efficiently due to loss of skills, but our Gophers are capable of locking down defensively. So, your sarcasm seeks to hide fixable problems.
I note that our defensive rotations and help have been poor regardless of who we have had on the floor at any time this season. The defensive struggle is something for which the coaching staff must take responsibility. Second, last night we saw four people standing still and watching the person with the ball dribble. Off ball movement was non-existent. Dakich made comment on this on more than one occasion. Is the lack of movement due to player failure to execute off ball or is it due to coaches failing to integrate an offensive scheme that integrates movement into the offensive scheme? As I have observed this season, I believe this is mostly a coaching problem in that the coaches have not done a good job adapting scheme to personale. Is that due to stubbornness by coaches or inability by coaches to adapt and change? I don't know. But, I believe the coaches deserve more scrutiny and accountability than you are demanding.

Your sarcasm is noted.
Your inability to admit that defense is less about athleticism and more about fundamental work ethic. Our Gophers may not be able to score efficiently due to loss of skills, but our Gophers are capable of locking down defensively. So, your sarcasm seeks to hide fixable problems.
I note that our defensive rotations and help have been poor regardless of who we have had on the floor at any time this season. The defensive struggle is something for which the coaching staff must take responsibility. Second, last night we saw four people standing still and watching the person with the ball dribble. Off ball movement was non-existent. Dakich made comment on this on more than one occasion. Is the lack of movement due to player failure to execute off ball or is it due to coaches failing to integrate an offensive scheme that integrates movement into the offensive scheme? As I have observed this season, I believe this is mostly a coaching problem in that the coaches have not done a good job adapting scheme to personale. Is that due to stubbornness by coaches or inability by coaches to adapt and change? I don't know. But, I believe the coaches deserve more scrutiny and accountability than you are demanding.

Last year we were the 22nd ranked defense. What's with that? I will say this, his defense is not suited to the group he has left. No way. With this group, I'd go with the "nolo contendre" defense. Seriously, I have thought about his options considering what he has left and wondered, why not pack it in or go zone or something? But then I think- no, he is in this for the long term he wants the players he has left to learn the system he plans to go forward with and recruit to. That's my guess at the lack of adapting you notice (correctly). Is there a type of defense we could have played last night to be competitive with MSU? I think not. Remember, a defense, or an offense can break down if one player misses his assignment (on defense or offense) or cannot convert (on offense). Now review our lineup again and tell me.... what could possibly go wrong?

Top Bottom