Pitino will have a long career here (and so will Washington for 4 years)

CPTMidnight

Reaction score
Sorry to break it to all the negative Patrick Reusse-fans on the Gopherhole but the most recent "Big Ten Coach of the Year" need not fear any backlash on the season from the University. He has had a string of issues to deal with and he is showing that he can find ways to not only stay competitive but also develop the freshman players. The number one biggest issue has been a young likable coach to restore recruiting instate for a long enough period so that the young kids can grow up wanting to play with him. He is in his 5th year and if the three locals (Omersa, Kalscheur and Oturu) that stayed in town to play for Pitino are any indicator we will are well on our way to restore instate since before Haskins debacle. Pitino (along with the rest of the coaches) also have the chops to add good players on a consistent basis from around the country.

Let me put it another way - the mess was created over 15 years with some bad decisions on the coaching side, the usual lack of support from University leadership, and the typical overly critical Minnesota fans demanding an immediate restoration of 1997. It is going to take some time to repair the damage and no amount of switching coaches will help it along any further - perhaps if we were Kentucky putting a coaching genius to tweek the raw talent that naturally flows to them would help matters... but we are not. We are building a program from the ground up. Foundational seasons, consistent face, recruiting, Athletic facilities, summer camps, getting to know all of the talented instate talent, drawing in some national talent, having some fun. All of you calling for Pitinos head this year are fooling yourselves. We will not improve, on Pitino as a whole, for now and in a few years Pitino and the program will be too valuable to part ways.

Tough year but I am loving watching the players progress, the coach progress, and the program progress - we are headed in a good direction. I hope Pitino will be here for a long time. Coyle - don't listen to any stupid fans here and try to rush things - Build the foundation and the success will come.

Enjoying seeing Washington progress. It will be his team for the next 3 years. Happy to have you here Isaiah!

“...demanding immediate restoration of 1997”?

It’s been 20 years.

Imagine this in 2 years: Jarvis, Oturu, Kalscheur (sophs.), Washington (jr), Coffey (sr.)

Hopefully those three as freshman can contribute next year so we can leverage McBrayer and Murphy's last year.

Sorry to break it to all the negative Patrick Reusse-fans on the Gopherhole but the most recent "Big Ten Coach of the Year" need not fear any backlash on the season from the University. He has had a string of issues to deal with and he is showing that he can find ways to not only stay competitive but also develop the freshman players. The number one biggest issue has been a young likable coach to restore recruiting instate for a long enough period so that the young kids can grow up wanting to play with him. He is in his 5th year and if the three locals (Omersa, Kalscheur and Oturu) that stayed in town to play for Pitino are any indicator we will are well on our way to restore instate since before Haskins debacle. Pitino (along with the rest of the coaches) also have the chops to add good players on a consistent basis from around the country.

Let me put it another way - the mess was created over 15 years with some bad decisions on the coaching side, the usual lack of support from University leadership, and the typical overly critical Minnesota fans demanding an immediate restoration of 1997. It is going to take some time to repair the damage and no amount of switching coaches will help it along any further - perhaps if we were Kentucky putting a coaching genius to tweek the raw talent that naturally flows to them would help matters... but we are not. We are building a program from the ground up. Foundational seasons, consistent face, recruiting, Athletic facilities, summer camps, getting to know all of the talented instate talent, drawing in some national talent, having some fun. All of you calling for Pitinos head this year are fooling yourselves. We will not improve, on Pitino as a whole, for now and in a few years Pitino and the program will be too valuable to part ways.

Tough year but I am loving watching the players progress, the coach progress, and the program progress - we are headed in a good direction. I hope Pitino will be here for a long time. Coyle - don't listen to any stupid fans here and try to rush things - Build the foundation and the success will come.

Enjoying seeing Washington progress. It will be his team for the next 3 years. Happy to have you here Isaiah!

+1,000. Too many so eager to jump on the negative bandwagon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Imagine this in 2 years: Jarvis, Oturu, Kalscheur (sophs.), Washington (jr), Coffey (sr.)

Hopefully those three as freshman can contribute next year so we can leverage McBrayer and Murphy's last year.

Aside from Coffey, we don't know whether any of those players will be any good. Hell, some of those players (including Coffey) might not even be here in 2 years.

+1,000. Too many so eager to jump on the negative bandwagon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Strongly agree. Washington is a special player and it is going to be fascinating to watch how much better he will get over the next three years.

And don't give up hope that Fitz can have a much improved Sr season, and Stockman as well, he may not pan out, but who knows, he may end up being a very good backup guy at his position?

Also don't forget Hurt or Harris, or even more so, Curry!!! Curry will only be a Jr 2 years from now, Hurt a Sr and Harris a Jr? Right? If only 2 of those 3 pan out, we'll be in great shape!!!

I mean, the possibilities? IF Curry really pans out, at starting Center, Coffey and if Hurt develops, at the forward positons, and then IW and Harris at the guard positions, that COULD be an incredible starting five, 2 years down the road, and that is not even taking into consideration the frosh coming in next season. That wouldn't be their 1st season, but their 2nd, they might either do better than the five I listed, or might end up as great backups? Oh, and that also doesn't take into consideration the brand new recruits?

nm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aside from Coffey, we don't know whether any of those players will be any good. Hell, some of those players (including Coffey) might not even be here in 2 years.

OMG, and why would that be? Pitino going to **** their mother and make them not want to play for him? Give me a break. If one of those guys goes down to a season or career ending injury, or feels up a drunk coed, yeah, nothing we can do about it. And honestly, nothing Pitino can probably do about it either, to be honest, so your throwing it out there as if no one understands that could happen, is what? Your attempt to try to make yourself out to look so much more understanding of the situation than anyone else? No one is assuming all 3 of those guys are going to be super stars.

Don't need them to be, honestly.

And if we lose Coffey or Washington early to the NBA, GOOD!!! Because that means they had an AMAZING season next year, the kind that helps their team to some serious wins. But rarely are superstars picked off by the NBA when they are on a horrible losing team.

So I hope we lose BOTH Coffey and IW after next year, because they led us to a FF or something. But we both know that is not going to happen. And if its the opposite, if one or both go down to season or career ending injuries, who knows, maybe I will blame you for jinxing em? :)

This is just such a bizarre post. I am clearly watching a different team than you if you believe you have been watching the players and the coach progress this season and that Pitino "is showing that he can find ways to not only stay competitive but also develop the freshman players". I needed a break from this team after the Iowa debacle and haven't sat down to watch today's game yet. Since they were competitive, I will make time to watch it and hopefully that's a sign that things truly are moving in a different direction. Since the Lynch suspension, the Gophers are now 1-8 with 3 bad losses: home to Indiana and Northwestern and at Iowa. They've also set a modern Barn record for margin of defeat against Purdue, another terrible showing at Northwestern where the team not only looked lost, but also looked like they quit and Dupree and Nate took frustration T's like they were LeBron James and Kevin Durant and they also got outscored 50-20 after jumping out to a 20-10 lead against Ohio State. That's 3 flat out bad losses and another 3 performances where the team looked poorly coached and exhibited poor effort and/or behavior. That Iowa juggernaut that put up 94 points on the Gophers despite a week of rest for Pitino's group? They got back to doing what they've been doing all year: Penn State embarrassed them 82-58 today.

The original post would be appropriate if the Gophers were sitting with 6 or 7 wins in conference play and losing competitively most of the rest of the time, but that's not reality. This team has been fully capable of a much better performance than we've seen for most of this stretch.

As far as instate talent goes, Tubby was doing fine instate prior to the Jones/Vaughn/Travis (and Macura) class. The issue with Tubby's tenure when it came to instate talent was that there simply wasn't much of it. The state went through a dry spell of producing Rivals 150 type talent, so there were a few years there where there simply were not B1G scholarship worthy players during his tenure. He landed Royce and Rodney, he got Trevor as a transfer back home.

Is Pitino doing better as far as instate kids? I think that's up for debate. Landing Oturu was great, but missing out on Theo John and Jericho Sims was bad.

I hope you are right on Pitino and things progress if he stays, but I see far more warning signs than reasons for optimism.

They got back to doing what they've been doing all year: Penn State embarrassed them 82-58 today.

The original post would be appropriate if the Gophers were sitting with 6 or 7 wins in conference play and losing competitively most of the rest of the time, but that's not reality. This team has been fully capable of a much better performance than we've seen for most of this stretch.

I hope you are right on Pitino and things progress if he stays, but I see far more warning signs than reasons for optimism.

AND... We BEAT PSU, in their own Arena.

So what is your point, really?

And "this team is fully capable of a much better performance than we've seen for most of this stretch"?

Says who? Fully 1/3rd of the team, mostly from the best half, are either not able to play, or are playing injured.

OMG, are you that blind???

EG, you are usually one of the more intelligent and sensible posters here, how on earth is it that you can't see this???

You just aren't paying enough attention. The team isn't doing very well, so why would you, right? I can't blame you. But that's not an excuse.

Look at the schedule, see when they played, and who they played, and how often they played, and who was healthy enough to play, and who was playing despite not being healthy enough, and honestly come back after looking all of that up, and tell me that you think this team should be winning more of these games?

I mean, yes, granted, Iowa is not very good. But we were in their house. We are short staffed. We are hobbled. We are tired. Pitino should have pulled the plug awhile ago and given up on this season, honestly. But the players didn't want that. They play in games that they shouldn't be playing in. They should be resting up and recovering from serious injuries.

But this team DOES NOT GIVE UP!!!!

It's either the quality of the guys Pitino brings in that don't want to give up, or its Pitino himself that directly has figured out how to inspire this NEVER GIVE UP attitude in his players.

Not many coaches can get their players to feel inspired enough to win an NIT tourney after missing the Big Dance. But Pitino was able to.

Not many coaches can get their players to feel inspired enough to beat a highly ranked team at the end of a conf season where they are 1-13 or 1-14 so far? But Pitino figured out how to get them up for that game.

Not many coaches can get their players to feel inspired enough to win 8 in a row after losing 5 straight early in conference play, but Pitino figured out how to get them up for doing that last year.

The only issue I have with pitino is not pulling the plug on gas and konate earlier than last night. He wanted to match up to size with them but our team was hampered with them on the court. IW actually had guys that could catch the ball inside yesterday and his game opened up. We had some defensive lapses at the end From inexperience (failure to take away right handed drive from Michigan) getting the players that return next year court time is paramount.

As disappointing as this season has been, I can't help but be optimistic for next year and beyond. With injuries and Lynch's suspension, I'm willing to give Pitino a pass this year. Stay the course, continue to sign top in-state kids...........the future looks bright.

I don't understand where all the negativity comes from.

Can anyone name me a team in the country that has lost three of its top 6 players (arguably it's most irreplaceable player in Lynch) and is still in the top 25?

I don't understand where all the negativity comes from.

Can anyone name me a team in the country that has lost three of its top 6 players (arguably it's most irreplaceable player in Lynch) and is still in the top 25?

2 out of 3 historically bad conference records 5 years into his tenure might have something to do with the negativity.

Lot's of questions next year; i'm optimistic but a .500 conference record probably is a reasonable goal. Is that what we were looking for after 6 years?

If it weren't for the injuries and suspension we'd be saying how wonderful of a coach he is, coming off a good season last year, coach of the year in the BIG, what most likely would have been a solid NCAA team this year, kept the majority of the top instate kids home the last couple years and would be trending upwards.

I don't believe the injuries or this suspension is a reflection on Pitino. No school has depth from 1-13. At some point the well runs dry.

I'm not sure who you're talking about, but your statement doesn't apply to the Gophers. The Gophers' top 6 players (including Lynch) are Murphy, Lynch, Mason, Coffey, McBrayer, and Washington. I watched 90% of the game yesterday and I saw 4 of the 6 playing at least 32 minutes. Anyone could've predicted that the Gophers would be worse without Lynch than with him, but one player (two counting the time that Coffey has missed) doesn't make you go from one of the top 2-3 teams in the conference to one of the 2-3 worst. We still have our 2 best players healthy and playing every game. They are both 1st-team All Big Ten kind of players, and just on those two we should be at worst an 8- or 9-win team in the Big Ten, not the one that has gone 1-8 and will likely end up with 4 or 5 Big Ten wins (if we're lucky). That's coaching, and it's unacceptable when the coach recruited the entire roster and has had 5 years to do so.

Shortening the rotation and actually playing the 6-7 best remaining players (regardless of position) led us to almost pulling a big upset win yesterday. Why did it take him 8 games to figure this out? That's coaching.

I'm not sure who you're talking about, but your statement doesn't apply to the Gophers. The Gophers' top 6 players (including Lynch) are Murphy, Lynch, Mason, Coffey, McBrayer, and Washington. I watched 90% of the game yesterday and I saw 4 of the 6 playing at least 32 minutes. Anyone could've predicted that the Gophers would be worse without Lynch than with him, but one player (two counting the time that Coffey has missed) doesn't make you go from one of the top 2-3 teams in the conference to one of the 2-3 worst. We still have our 2 best players healthy and playing every game. They are both 1st-team All Big Ten kind of players, and just on those two we should be at worst an 8- or 9-win team in the Big Ten, not the one that has gone 1-8 and will likely end up with 4 or 5 Big Ten wins (if we're lucky). That's coaching, and it's unacceptable when the coach recruited the entire roster and has had 5 years to do so.

Shortening the rotation and actually playing the 6-7 best remaining players (regardless of position) led us to almost pulling a big upset win yesterday. Why did it take him 8 games to figure this out? That's coaching.

Yep. Konate and Dhoodoo should have never seen the floor unless it was a foul emergency. I just don't get why they have played at all, other than a blowout win or loss.

Starting the year the top six were: Mason, Murphy, Lynch, Coffey, Curry and McBrayer.

Curry has been out all year.

Lynch is suspended.

Coffey has missed 7 games.

Throw in that McBrayer isn't practicing and has missed 3 games with a leg injury. Along with Mason missing a game.

The only reason IW is in the top 6 is because Coffey and McBrayer have been hurt.

The negativity comes the fact they still should have more than enough talent to not lose 8 out of 9 conference games.

Absolutely no way the team should have fallen off this bad. Coach and team keep saying it’s not an excuse but every they time bring up who they don’t have it’s starting to sound like they’re making an excuse.

As disappointing as this season has been, I can't help but be optimistic for next year and beyond. With injuries and Lynch's suspension, I'm willing to give Pitino a pass this year. Stay the course, continue to sign top in-state kids...........the future looks bright.

I totally agree! This season is lost, but the future is still plenty bright. We honestly just need a little good luck for once instead of bad luck.

The negativity comes the fact they still should have more than enough talent to not lose 8 out of 9 conference games.

Absolutely no way the team should have fallen off this bad. Coach and team keep saying it’s not an excuse but every they time bring up who they don’t have it’s starting to sound like they’re making an excuse.

Nor should the Minnesota Vikings have fallen off the map in a very disappointing 2016 - one in which the even starting QB was healthy during the season - but they came back good enough to be the 2nd-best team in the NFC the very next (w/o their starting QB).

Shortening the rotation and actually playing the 6-7 best remaining players (regardless of position) led us to almost pulling a big upset win yesterday. Why did it take him 8 games to figure this out? That's coaching.[/QUOTE]

8 games ago these 6-7 players were probably not the 7 best players on the team. Certainly IW wasn't. Probably not Fitz.

If you look at each season Pitino has been here, his teams have improved to the end of the season. The fact that Pitino has signed some of these recruits is a bit remarkable when you consider the negative press he has had before last year. One year Kaler did all that he could to post neg press to get him ( a Teague holdover) out of here. There have been many pitfalls since he's been here. I believe he has handled most very well. I love everything about Pitino and his coaches. Hope there here for years to come

If you look at each season Pitino has been here, his teams have improved to the end of the season.

Aside from the other nonsense, this is objectively false. Pick two seasons ago. Early in the Big Ten schedule, they weren't winning, but were at least being competitive. Lost by 8 to #1 MSU, lost by 5 at Michigan, by 4 to #21 Purdue, by 6 at #19 Indiana, and so on. After somehow miraculously beating #6 Maryland at home and pounding Rutgers as they should, they ended the season losing 4 straight, including losing by 23 at Rutgers (one of the worst Big Ten teams in history, giving them their only conference win that year) and then losing by 33 to 12-seed Illinois in the BTT.

Aside from the other nonsense, this is objectively false. Pick two seasons ago. Early in the Big Ten schedule, they weren't winning, but were at least being competitive. Lost by 8 to #1 MSU, lost by 5 at Michigan, by 4 to #21 Purdue, by 6 at #19 Indiana, and so on. After somehow miraculously beating #6 Maryland at home and pounding Rutgers as they should, they ended the season losing 4 straight, including losing by 23 at Rutgers (one of the worst Big Ten teams in history, giving them their only conference win that year) and then losing by 33 to 12-seed Illinois in the BTT.

Cherry picking to to objectively make a point - I seem to remember a sex tape that pulled the plug on that season - we didn’t have the recruits (konate started most of the season with Dorsey,Morris and Buggs ) pitino did everything right that off season , speakers, trainings, etc. - the team ended up being much more together resulting in the season last year. They improved as the year went on and were one injury from making noise in the tourney. Having 4 players with btn recognition and COY tells you something must be right with the program.

Cherry picking to to objectively make a point - I seem to remember a sex tape that pulled the plug on that season - we didn’t have the recruits (konate started most of the season with Dorsey,Morris and Buggs ) pitino did everything right that off season , speakers, trainings, etc. - the team ended up being much more together resulting in the season last year. They improved as the year went on and were one injury from making noise in the tourney. Having 4 players with btn recognition and COY tells you something must be right with the program.

It isn't cherry-picking; one example disproves an absolute statement. He shouldn't have made an absolute statement if he didn't want to be corrected.

If Pitino can keep his players from personal actions that ruin seasons and school reputation then he could have a long run at Minnesota. However, most coaches at MN have been unable to do so.
Musselman, Dutcher and Haskins all failed. Monson simply couldn't win. Tubby, to his credit, ran a tight ship. Pitino...it's been a bumpy ride and so far he has two strikes against him, which is more than what Dutcher and Haskin's were given.
Pitino has to run a ship as tight as what Tubby ran or he's gone.

You have good points, but you are wrong about our top six (the original poster was correct). Curry was without doubt in the top six-not Washington.

Now that we can count on IW for 26 pts a game, I think the team’s going to be ok.

It's taken a long time, and probably a lot of coaching and instruction for IW's game to come along. There is NO WAY anyone considered IW one of the Top 6 players on this team, early in the season. No one really filled in and contributed like a 6th man should or normally does. But Harris got 2 starts and Fitz got 1 while IW had zero, going into the Michigan game. Fans were questioning whether IW would be able to take over for Mason next year and were already speaking doom and gloom and how next year's team wouldn't be any better than this years hobbled squad is playing. They were talking down Hurt, no one was even talking about Fitz, partly because most games he simply didn't contribute anything. In our losses to Miami, Neb and Ark, Fitz had a grand total of 0 pts, 0 rbs, 0 assts, but 5 PFs.

Washington was throwing up 3 ptr after 3 ptr with only a few ever going in. He was starting to show some ability to get to the basket, but not an ability to dish it to an open guy. Very few were bragging about IW's play, most were criticizing it or just talking about how they hoped he'd get better come next year. But I WAS talking him up. I saw his potential, and I posted about it here. I posted about how before Lynch and Coffey went down, I was seeing progress in his game. And in Hurt's and Harris' as well.

Then the injury/suspension, followed almost immediately by a run of 6 games in 14 days, 4 of them road games, so no time to get in the gym and figure out how best to manage the situation. Yet all of you brilliant coaching geniuses, from your armchairs, not a one of you that I remember was suggesting to cut the roster down to our best 6-7 players and go for it. Pitino is the one who figured that out, once he had time to get into the gym and work with the team.

As soon as the suspension happened, our next game was the home gave vs IU, a game that was only lost by 4 points. Not a ton of time to prepare for that game and to play without 2 of our best players.

Then 5 games in 11 days, 4 of them road games, the only home game vs arguably the #1 team in the country, Purdue, the road games vs Maryland, OSU and NW, none of whom are too shabby, and we had leads at halftime vs 3 of those 4 teams, but got tired and gassed and faded at the end. Simple as that. We did get a road win vs PSU.

Not sure when McBrayer aggravated his leg and stopped practicing, but that couldn't have helped in anyway.

So going 1-4 over that 5 game stretch may have happened even if we had Lynch and Coffey? Maybe we go 2-3? 3-2 possibly? But without those guys and with McBreyer hobbled as well, how hard is it to understand that they could lose 4 of those games?

We started out 2-1 in conference, those are the only 3 games Lynch played in. Coffey played in 2 of the next 8 games, and shouldn't have. He wasn't being allowed to practice, and wasn't supposed to come back until Feb 2nd. But he tried playing in those 2 games and ended up aggravating his injury, so was he even close to 100% in the 2 games he played? And Dupree hasn't been practicing, just playing in games, and he's clearly not even close to 100% and just can't defend well right now. If you watch him, you can see he's in pain and slowed down by his injury. Those are 3 of our Top 6 players. Add Curry not playing and that is 4 of our Top 6. 4 of our Top 7 if you must insist on IW being in the mix, or maybe 3.5, since Dupree at least contributes some on offense.

Coming home from the 5 games in 11 days mostly on the road stretch, we still had to play a NW team that isn't the pushovers they used to be, either, just 3 days after playing OSU in Madison Square Garden.

So the first time the team had time to rest and then get a couple practices in, were the week leading up to the Iowa game. And who knows, maybe Pitino just didn't feel ready to make the switch yet, maybe he felt that it wouldn't work vs Iowa? I've read people mention how Michigan had the perfect team to try it out on, that if it would work, it would work vs Michigan but that it won't or wouldn't work vs other teams, like Purdue especially. So just because it almost worked vs Michigan, doesn't mean its the key to beating other teams. Does it make me think that maybe we can win a few of our remaining games? It does. But now teams might prepare for that and figure out a game plan and a way to beat it. Michigan probably didn't see that coming.

And the Michigan game was the 1st game of a 3 games in 7 days stretch, and we'll finish the season with another 3 games in 7 days. All so that we can cram in our Conf tourney a week early.

Not the best season to pick to lose 3.5 of our best 7 players, while only starting with 12 before the Curry injury, because of Stockman.

So yes, dpodoll68, losing 3.5 of your Top 7 players WILL make any team drop from top 1/3-1/4 of the conf down to bottom 1/3-1/4 of it.

Especially when going on little 11 day runs with 5 games, 4 of them on the road right after first losing 2 of those 3.5.

And some say that Mason might be playing in some pain?

Murphy twisted his ankle in a game, did that affect his performance that game or maybe even in the next game? Harris missed at least one game. Gaston was out for 6 of the first 11 conf games. Not saying he was a big contributor, but even a minute or two once or twice in a game can help the guy he's going in for.

Your trying to minimize the extent of this situation is laughable and kind of pathetic and makes it look like you just hate Pitino and are trying to make up ways to criticize him.

Top Bottom