Why is it not cool to stay at home and play for the Gophers?

I know. Because you can change the culture at the U - a stated objective - by just changing the football coach and not addressing the fundamental problems at the U that are rooted in weak leadership in the administration for the past few decades.

Yet the administration now is more favorable towards major sports than anytime in the past few decades. Something you fail to understand.

Yet the administration now is more favorable towards major sports than anytime in the past few decades. Something you fail to understand.
If the EOAA is part of the administration, then I cannot agree with that assessment.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Crappy fan base - Minnesotans are horrible fans and not just for the Gophers. For all of the sports teams and franchises that aren't winning.

Horrible political situation in the University.

Consistent ineptitude in the administration.

Lack of support for the athletics program in general.

Underlying cultural attitude of Minnesotans about the University and calling attention to doing good things.

To name a few.

I bet you are a riot at parties.

Yeah, they are slowly coming around.

I just think that some people are SO INCREDIBLY TICKED OFF that the high ups at the U p1ssed away 7 decades of hard work building the program up to be one of the ABSOLUTE best football programs EVER, and did such a good job of ruining all of that hard work, that as of right now, UMn has so few former players in the NFL, that NDSU could pass us as soon as next year, Miami of Ohio and WMU combined have more than we do. Of the Top 40 programs EVER, at putting players into the NFL, only Syracuse has fewer in the NFL right now than us, 9 to our 10. Oregon has 32 and is behind us, Clemson has 39 and is behind us? How long are those programs going to remain behind us?

We got 7 into the Pro Fb HOF, great, now we are 8th in that regard. But when will we EVER put another into the Pro HOF???

For the next 20 years, we'll have to watch other programs get their guys into the Hall, while we fall, first to 9th, then 10th, then down to 15th, then 20th.

Right now, it is a source of some pride. But our day is done. Now the Miami's, PSU's, UCLA's and Oregon's of the world will all pass us on by.

During the 70's and even in the 80's, former Gophers were all over the NFL, kicking tail and taking names, making Pro Bowls, and All-Pro teams, being named to the NFL All-Decade teams, getting named as Hall of Famers.

THATS ALL ancient history now.

The people in power at the U just flushed our glorious history down the toilet. Gopher football is a joke now and has been for a very long time.

And their efforts to show that has changed, have been so SLOW, so half ashed, and has drug on for so long, that another 2-3 decades have gone by and NOW, finally, we are back on campus in an outdoor stadium, with upgraded facilities. FINALLY!!!!

And so now, we've fallen down, not being the fastest runner in the race anymore even, and are in the very back of the pack and we've picked ourselves up off the grounds, shook off the dirt, and finally are up on our feet moving towards the finish line, the ever moving forward finish line, and able to make full strides. GREAT. But we're still way back near last place in the race. And the guys in the lead are much faster than us.

And you wonder why people still b1tch about the arseholes who tripped us up and put our faces in the dirt in the first place? And then took forever to put out a hand to help us up out of the dirt??? Those arseholes are all still around, and are all still trying to bring down football and bb at the U. They may not be as vocal or as powerful now, because the lure of big money that comes with big time sports has finally, FINALLY, gotten the powers that be at the U to see the light. And the Powers that be in the B1G Conf, might have had something to do with that as well? But they are still there, lurking in the shadows, just waiting for the U to screw up, so that they can pounce.

Sad bunch of individuals, if you ask me.

Thanks dad. And I don't need anyone's permission to call a thread stupid when it is stupid. Especially when I backed up the reasons for why it is stupid with facts.

If you think this thread is stupid - you should find the one on "talent" rankings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is like saying, the 600 lb neighbor lady, who couldn't even get out of bed, has lost 200 lbs and now looks MUCH BETTER than she did before!!!

DUDE!!! She's STILL a 400 lb... umm, pc filter turning on, um she's still a woman with a slight weight problem.

So you have an agenda! Makes sense. Athletics is not as important to many people as it is too you. It may be more of a jealousy for all the publicity and money that is garnered by athletics in spite of all the hard work that others put into their own fields? Possibly, someone that has devoted their live to finding a cure to a major disease, is not a sports fan and can’t get enough funding to further their work may not cheer on the home team as much as you do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Funding for such research in general is supplied partially by the medical school/university for a few years. Subsequently the investigator is expected to have shown enough progress to be successful in acquiring the majority or entirety of funding necessary to continue his/her work via NIH or other external funding sources. There may be times that the medical school/university supports such research when the researcher is "between" procuring grants but that is uncommon. Nevertheless, athletic departments at the great majority of schools takes NOTHING away from internal funding sources from medical science research.

In addition your assertion that many medical researchers aren't sports fans and/or don't support their respective university athletic department is preposterous. Athletic prowess is one of the first things discussed after the science is presented at various meetings.

Yep. More favorable is a very low bar. Being one iota less incompetent at managing not just sports, but the University as a whole may be a step in the right direction, but it's a very, very small step, and the culture - a famous word these days at the U - is still broken, I'd argue rotten to the core, and Kaler is the very core of that culture, Coyle is just Kaler's newest boot-licker.

Kids want to win. We haven’t been a consistent winner in along time. Win a B1G championship and things will take a dramatic turn.

The coaches should be going after all the WRs from places like Waseca, Breckenridge, and Ada who end up at DII schools and are never recruited by the U. A lot of these guys have high ceilings and possible pro potential as I have learned from some posters. This is the real issue.

The coaches should be going after all the WRs from places like Waseca, Breckenridge, and Ada who end up at DII schools and are never recruited by the U. A lot of these guys have high ceilings and possible pro potential as I have learned from some posters. This is the real issue.

Do you have any evidence to support this?

Do you have any evidence to support this?

I'm too lazy to go through threads from the past 5-6 months, but there was a thread complaining that the staff is missing out on the next Adam Thielen because they aren't focused on outstate schools enough. Basically suggesting that Adam Thielens are all over the place, which is silly.

I'm too lazy to go through threads from the past 5-6 months, but there was a thread complaining that the staff is missing out on the next Adam Thielen because they aren't focused on outstate schools enough. Basically suggesting that Adam Thielens are all over the place, which is silly.

I had to chuckle; CJ Ham and Thielen are good enough to play for the Vikings but not the Gophers? My man, NDSU has as many if not more former Minnesota born players on NFL rosters than the U.

I have been saying this for YEARS and I will say it again. The 100 best player from (pick your state) is not better than the 20 best player in Minnesota. Don’t believe me? Ask NDSU. The Gophers annual recruiting class should average 18-20 Minnesotans/Dakotas.

Also, inner city youth football must be developed. It’s going the wrong direction.

I had to chuckle; CJ Ham and Thielen are good enough to play for the Vikings but not the Gophers? My man, NDSU has as many if not more former Minnesota born players on NFL rosters than the U.

I have been saying this for YEARS and I will say it again. The 100 best player from (pick your state) is not better than the 20 best player in Minnesota. Don’t believe me? Ask NDSU. The Gophers annual recruiting class should average 18-20 Minnesotans/Dakotas.

Also, inner city youth football must be developed. It’s going the wrong direction.

You are flat out nuts and I agree with GWG. This thread is stupid.

In any given year, the 100th best player from CA, FL, or TX is absolutely, 100%, much, much, MUCH better than the 20th best player from MN. If you honestly believe that and aren't trolling - I mean wow, just wow.

Wow, that was insightful. Not.

More insightful than commenting that the top 20 in MN/Dakotas are better than the top 100 in states like Florida,Texas, California, and Georgia. That's just pure ignorance.

More insightful than commenting that the top 20 in MN/Dakotas are better than the top 100 in states like Florida,Texas, California, and Georgia. That's just pure ignorance.

Let's look at just the 2018 class for fun. Using 247 composite rankings:

100th ranked player in FL signed with the Gators and had 23 DI offers

100th ranked player in TX signed with Baylor and had 5 DI offers (including TX Tech and UCLA)

100th ranked player in CA signed with Cal and had 8 DI offers including UCLA, Utah, and Oregon St

20th ranked player in MN hasn't signed with anybody and has offers from UND and Southwest Minnesota St. Since those schools both crank out a ton of NFL players, I'm sure he'll be the next on the assembly line.

But hey - at least the 20th ranked player from MN in 2017 plays for Augustana. That's yet another NFL pipeline school, so he should be good to go.

In any given year, the 100th best player from CA, FL, or TX is absolutely, 100%, much, much, MUCH better than the 20th best player from MN. If you honestly believe that and aren't trolling - I mean wow, just wow.

Aside from Rick Rubio[emoji1][emoji1] I don’t Troll. There is a reason NDSU has been so successful the last 30 years. It’s because they are getting D1 Mn Talent the Gophers are ignoring while the Gophers are getting over ranked from out of state.

My man, if given the opportunity Adam Thielen would have STARTED for ANY college football team in the COUNTRY. NFL All Pro receivers tend to do that.

I have stood on the Gopher sideline during practice many a year as a recruited player, parent of a recruited player and coach of a recruited player and let me break the news to you. The Gophers have always had absolute garbage from the very places you mentioned.

I’m old enough to remember there was a time when the prevailing thought were in basketball Mn only offered big men and there were no skilled position players to be had. That only changed when other schools started winning championships with Mn skilled players. Then and only then did Mn start recruiting skilled players from their own back yard. They were always here.

NDSU has created a dynasty off of players the Gophers have ignored.

Aside from Rick Rubio[emoji1][emoji1] I don’t Troll. There is a reason NDSU has been so successful the last 30 years. It’s because they are getting D1 Mn Talent the Gophers are ignoring while the Gophers are getting over ranked from out of state.

My man, if given the opportunity Adam Thielen would have STARTED for ANY college football team in the COUNTRY. NFL All Pro receivers tend to do that.

I have stood on the Gopher sideline during practice many a year as a recruited player, parent of a recruited player and coach of a recruited player and let me break the news to you. The Gophers have always had absolute garbage from the very places you mentioned.

I’m old enough to remember there was a time when the prevailing thought were in basketball Mn only offered big men and there were no skilled position players to be had. That only changed when other schools started winning championships with Mn skilled players. Then and only then did Mn start recruiting skilled players from their own back yard. They were always here.

NDSU has created a dynasty off of players the Gophers have ignored.

Cool. The problem with your argument is that NDSU isn't typically signing the 20th best player from MN - more like players ranked in the 8-15 range in the state, though they do sometimes dip down lower than that. Likewise, Minnesota isn't typically signing top 100 players from the states I've mentioned. Hell, people around here are creaming their shorts because we signed Dunlap and Faalele. They are the 39th and 52nd ranked players in FL, respectively. We are typically signing players ranked in the 150-200 range from those states. If you want to argue that the 8th best player from MN is better than the 200th ranked player from FL, you'd at least be slightly more reasonable. You'd still be wrong almost every year, but at least it'd be slightly more defensible than the argument you attempted to advance above.

Who said that? It certainly wasn’t me. I said the 100th best player wasn’t better than Mn’s 20th. Hyperbole on my part? Maybe some but you get my point.

Let's look at just the 2018 class for fun. Using 247 composite rankings:

100th ranked player in FL signed with the Gators and had 23 DI offers

100th ranked player in TX signed with Baylor and had 5 DI offers (including TX Tech and UCLA)

100th ranked player in CA signed with Cal and had 8 DI offers including UCLA, Utah, and Oregon St

20th ranked player in MN hasn't signed with anybody and has offers from UND and Southwest Minnesota St. Since those schools both crank out a ton of NFL players, I'm sure he'll be the next on the assembly line.

But hey - at least the 20th ranked player from MN in 2017 plays for Augustana. That's yet another NFL pipeline school, so he should be good to go.

Fair points but your analysis is faulty. Certainly they are signing with big schools but so what? What are they doing when they get there? Are they playing? More importantly, what’s going on with the players who arrive from those states for the Gophers? That’s my real point. And to be clear, I am saying that NDSU and schools like SW State are getting players to various degrees that the Gophers should be recruiting.

We only know about Adam Theilen and CJ Ham because they got an opportunity to play for the Vikings. How many are out there YOU don’t know about because they weren’t giving that opportunity? Maybe they even agree with you and didn’t give themselves an opportunity.

Go find any Mn kid who has been affiliated with the Gopher program and I guarantee they will tell you the same thing. The majority of the out of state signees are nothing special when compared to good Mn football players.

You think Mn doesn’t have multiple Kyle Therets out there? No knock on Kyle he started on a couple Gopher bowl teams.

30 years ago a fat 5’7 Basketball guard from Mn would have been hard pressed to get a offer from Wisconsin Stout. Yet one did get an offer from UConn and win a national championship as the 2nd best player on the team.

Cool. The problem with your argument is that NDSU isn't typically signing the 20th best player from MN - more like players ranked in the 8-15 range in the state, though they do sometimes dip down lower than that. Likewise, Minnesota isn't typically signing top 100 players from the states I've mentioned. Hell, people around here are creaming their shorts because we signed Dunlap and Faalele. They are the 39th and 52nd ranked players in FL, respectively. We are typically signing players ranked in the 150-200 range from those states. If you want to argue that the 8th best player from MN is better than the 200th ranked player from FL, you'd at least be slightly more reasonable. You'd still be wrong almost every year, but at least it'd be slightly more defensible than the argument you attempted to advance above.

Great points. I would argue that you are relying on polls from idiots who never played football. You may want to familiarize yourself with how the polls/rankings work. Case in point. James Lauranitis was a 3 Star Gopher commit. After his senior season he changed his mind and committed to Ohio State where miraculously he became a 4 Star recruit without ever playing a game. Rankings are based on “quality” of offer and number of offers.

NDSU? It’s what I just described. If the 20th ranked player gets an offer from NDSU he will leap frog those who don’t. Does that mean those players weren’t better or does it mean NDSU needed a DB and the other players are linemen? Imagine if one is a really great QB but NDSU has a freshman named Carson Wentz. But your point is valid, I will concede that.

Who said that? It certainly wasn’t me. I said the 100th best player wasn’t better than Mn’s 20th. Hyperbole on my part? Maybe some but you get my point.

I didn't word it perfectly, but that is the point I was getting to, comparing the 20th best MN player with the 100th best from these other states. I don't agree that the U should be signing 75-80% of every class with MN/ND/SD kids. Unless your OK with 7 wins being your ceiling.

I didn't word it perfectly, but that is the point I was getting to, comparing the 20th best MN player with the 100th best from these other states. I don't agree that the U should be signing 75-80% of every class with MN/ND/SD kids. Unless your OK with 7 wins being your ceiling.

I’m forever having to go back and edit what I wrote so I certainly understand. Some exaggeration on my part but what I’m saying is the Gophers are in the same boat as Wisconsin. We have to error on the side of getting all the Mn talent and some Mn players who suck versus missing out on Mn kids.

NDSU’s success is a direct correlation of the Gophers missing out on Mn talent. Recruiting Texas, Florida and California is a waste of time. We should be all over Mn kids first and foremost the Missouri, Illinois, Dakotas, New Jersey/New York, Montana, Idaho ectera.

We will know we have it right when NDSU’s program gets worse.

I’m forever having to go back and edit what I wrote so I certainly understand. Some exaggeration on my part but what I’m saying is the Gophers are in the same boat as Wisconsin. We have to error on the side of getting all the Mn talent and some Mn players who suck versus missing out on Mn kids.

NDSU’s success is a direct correlation of the Gophers missing out on Mn talent. <b>Recruiting Texas, Florida and California is a waste of time. We should be all over Mn kids first and foremost the Missouri, Illinois, Dakotas, New Jersey/New York, Montana, Idaho ectera.</b>

We will know we have it right when NDSU’s program gets worse.

That is why PJ implemented the 8-hour driving radius.

A lot of kids want to stay home and play for the U. It's just usually not the best ones, unfortunately. Frankly, they don't get paid enough, probably (and I mean that literally).

There are exceptions like Jones and Coughlin that turned down a golden ticket into a program where they hand you the keys to a $100,000 car during orientation. But, they are very rare.

Think about Rashad Vaughn and UNLV. You can't tell me that makes any sense, until you throw a huge payoff into the equation.

Meanwhile, Pitino is getting called out on the evening news for bringing the rental car back a little light on gas.

You may want to familiarize yourself with how the polls/rankings work.

I'm quite aware. Your made-up interpretation that follows is your own fantasy, not how it actually works.

James Lauranitis was a 3 Star Gopher commit. After his senior season he changed his mind and committed to Ohio State where miraculously he became a 4 Star recruit without ever playing a game.

That didn't happen. Oh, and P.S. - recruit rankings change all the time without the recruit playing a game. They go to camps and perform well against other high-level prospects, leading to higher ratings and more offers. They get more offers because they've proven themselves as higher-quality prospects. They don't get rated more highly because of offers.

Rankings are based on “quality” of offer and number of offers.

False.

NDSU? It’s what I just described. If the 20th ranked player gets an offer from NDSU he will leap frog those who don’t.

Again, that doesn't happen.

Absolutely this is the reason. Why play at a University that really doesn't appreciate your efforts. That attitude spreads from the Administration to the Deans of each area and then finally down to the Professors/GA's who teach most of the classes. Sad

NO IT'S NOT.

How many other schools get 65% of the "top 10" recruits in their state? Dumb ass thread.

Top Bottom