Why is it not cool to stay at home and play for the Gophers?

Ewert86PC

Metrodome Era Survivor
Reaction score
I'm going to ask this of the Football and Men's Basketball forums because each has potentially different reasons.

Why is it not cool for instate Minnesota players to "stay at home" and play for the Gophers?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Crappy fan base - Minnesotans are horrible fans and not just for the Gophers. For all of the sports teams and franchises that aren't winning.

Horrible political situation in the University.

Consistent ineptitude in the administration.

Lack of support for the athletics program in general.

Underlying cultural attitude of Minnesotans about the University and calling attention to doing good things.

To name a few.

They don't know all that MN has to offer. Hosting the SuperBowl will change that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't know all that MN has to offer. Hosting the SuperBowl will change that.

Both Houston and Rice had to turn away 5 stars after last year. Too much talent pouring in.

So the Gophers need to promote ice fishing more? That's all I see about promoting Minnesota during this time. I don't think college kids care about fancy themed foods or their parents bands.

Crappy fan base - Minnesotans are horrible fans and not just for the Gophers. For all of the sports teams and franchises that aren't winning.

Underlying cultural attitude of Minnesotans about the University and calling attention to doing good things.

To name a few.

Let's start with the political climate at the U. I think everything stems from that because I have never encountered more bitter and vengeful academia that is capitulated to than at the U. I worked at a small specialty bookseller in Dinkytown when I was a student. So many of the customers were bitter academics who sought to belittle not just athletics, but other departments at the U. Altruism to your school was actively fought against and that decimated goodwill towards the U.

2018: 5 of the top 7 Minnesota recruits stayed home
2017: 5 of the top 9
2016: 8 of the top 12

This thread is stupid

The Annexstad and Barber families think it's cool. Every family situation is different. Parents in many cases are a pretty big influence. Pretty hard to turn down somebody like Duke or Stanford....maybe thinking more basketball. We lost football kids to the SEC. Some people like warm weather. The style of play doesn't seem like a fit for my abilities. How hard does the other guy recruit you? Where does your girlfriend want to go to school? I wanna get away from home, be on my own etc... million reasons... I don't think it's because the U of M is not cool that some guys decide to go else where.

The Annexstad and Barber families think it's cool. Every family situation is different. Parents in many cases are a pretty big influence. Pretty hard to turn down somebody like Duke or Stanford....maybe thinking more basketball. We lost football kids to the SEC. Some people like warm weather. The style of play doesn't seem like a fit for my abilities. How hard does the other guy recruit you? Where does your girlfriend want to go to school? I wanna get away from home, be on my own etc... million reasons... I don't think it's because the U of M is not cool that some guys decide to go else where.

Don’t forget the Coughlin and Leidner families.

Maybe, just maybe, when those warm weathered schools come calling a sudden chill actually leaves their body. To leave Minnesota for an equally crappy climate school makes no sense though.

I don't think it is being simply a matter of coolness not to stay home and play for the Gophers. There are a myriad of reasons.

Kids that are heavy national recruits are going because they can. Some choose to stay home because they grow up wanting to be a Gopher. Others see it as a once in a lifetime opportunity to go elsewhere.

Some simply want to experience going away from home for college or go to a dream school like Harvard, Stanford, Notre Dame, etc... Some think going to Alabama or Wisconsin will increase their chances of being noticed by the pros.

There are a maximum of 25 scholarship offers. The Gophers have to recruit the best players to compete.They are going to lose a few good players that are not heavily rated, but can develop into a four star caliber player or even get drafted.

Again, some will PWO to get to the U. Others whose family financial circumstances seek to have their kids' college paid for elsewhere.

However, there are quite a few Minnesotans who chose to stay home scholarship or not. The stats for the 2017 Spring Roster showed that 32% of the players listed are from Minnesota.

The Gophers are the only D1 program in the state for football and basketball. Hockey is a different matter with the Gophers, UMD, St. Cloud State, Mankato State giving more opportunities for homegrown talent.

This thread is stupid
Please keep dispelling this assertion. What is stupid is that there are still people who believe it.

Every kid has to make their own decision. Some want to get away from home (mom & dad?). The real top-end kids can go anywhere, and some of them want the spotlight that comes with a "helmet" school - or the basketball equivalent of a helmet school.

Some kids may prioritize winning - and see a better chance to win someplace other than MN. Some kids may not want the added attention they get as a 'home-town hero,' or the expectations that come with that status.

Hey - if a MN kid wants to play for the Gophers, great. But, if they want to go somewhere else, I hold them no malice. everyone has to make their own decisions.

This thread is stupid

so 10 players chose not to come here. It is unreasonable to think that all of them will, but it's fair to think about why some won't. Guess Ewert should have run it by your first.

so 10 players chose not to come here. It is unreasonable to think that all of them will, but it's fair to think about why some won't. Guess Ewert should have run it by your first.

And of those 10 only 3 had Gopher offers, Kasl, Spielman, and Ramaud Chiaokhiao-Bowman 2016. Plus for whatever reason Claeys and staff didn't have a ton of interest in Kasl and Spielman.

So over the last 3 years, the Gophers have landed 18 of the top 21 MN kids they have made offers to. Again, this thread is stupid.

Let's start with the political climate at the U. I think everything stems from that because I have never encountered more bitter and vengeful academia that is capitulated to than at the U. I worked at a small specialty bookseller in Dinkytown when I was a student. So many of the customers were bitter academics who sought to belittle not just athletics, but other departments at the U. Altruism to your school was actively fought against and that decimated goodwill towards the U.

Yes, I'm sure if you ask recruits why they don't attend the U of MN this is reason number 1.

So you have an agenda! Makes sense. Athletics is not as important to many people as it is too you. It may be more of a jealousy for all the publicity and money that is garnered by athletics in spite of all the hard work that others put into their own fields? Possibly, someone that has devoted their live to finding a cure to a major disease, is not a sports fan and can’t get enough funding to further their work may not cheer on the home team as much as you do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I'm sure if you ask recruits why they don't attend the U of MN this is reason number 1.

Absolutely this is the reason. Why play at a University that really doesn't appreciate your efforts. That attitude spreads from the Administration to the Deans of each area and then finally down to the Professors/GA's who teach most of the classes. Sad

And of those 10 only 3 had Gopher offers, Kasl, Spielman, and Ramaud Chiaokhiao-Bowman 2016. Plus for whatever reason Claeys and staff didn't have a ton of interest in Kasl and Spielman.

So over the last 3 years, the Gophers have landed 18 of the top 21 MN kids they have made offers to. Again, this thread is stupid.

Thanks

Let me be more clear. No one needs your permission to ask a question

Thanks dad. And I don't need anyone's permission to call a thread stupid when it is stupid. Especially when I backed up the reasons for why it is stupid with facts.

Thanks dad. And I don't need anyone's permission to call a thread stupid when it is stupid. Especially when I backed up the reasons for why it is stupid with facts.

Thanks. Thankfully I am not your dad. I’d be embarrassed if I was.

To name a few.

Hate to admit it, but you are right about far too much of that.

Thanks. Thankfully I am not your dad. I’d be embarrassed if I was.

And I'd be embarrassed to know, let alone be related to, anyone who's signature is as clueless as yours.

Ewert, we rarely agree, but on this, you are spot on. There has been a climate of antagonism towards U athletics, especially the fb program most of all, since as far back as the 50s, as far as I can tell. I've read that there were people trying to get the U to shut down the football program in the late 50s, and our winning the Natl Title was the only thing that saved the football program from being ended. It has taken a long time for the University to come to realize the reality that the vast majority of the nation aren't hyper educated academics, and that those pencil necked geeks don't have or contribute any money to the U, so why the **** have we pandered to them for so long????

This thread is stupid

Those are decent numbers, if not great, to be honest. But that is just the last 3 years.

Lots of the people commenting about this topic, have DECADES of baggage that they are dealing with. It's unfortunately a very complex issue. Only here in Minnesota would that be the case.

So you have an agenda! Makes sense. Athletics is not as important to many people as it is too you. It may be more of a jealousy for all the publicity and money that is garnered by athletics in spite of all the hard work that others put into their own fields? Possibly, someone that has devoted their live to finding a cure to a major disease, is not a sports fan and can’t get enough funding to further their work may not cheer on the home team as much as you do.

Yeah, my agenda is to quit having narcissistic (bleep!)s ruining the lives of others. It doesn't matter where you are at the school degrading others for your own personal gain is deplorable. Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean you have to destroy it.

While you don't sound like a total imbecile or anything, your examples are pretty legit, but the fact remains, the majority of people in the world are not even close to as smart or as educated as these people, and honestly DO NOT CARE, which is sad, but it's reality, and waging a decades long war against an athletic dept, in a losing battle, basically taking down your enemy with you or trying to, doesn't help ANYONE, much less the cancer patients that could benefit from their research, IF THEY INSTEAD EMBRACED the athletics dept, let the athletics dept make the school look good so that they could reach into the pockets of all of the millionaires and billionaires the school produces, they might actually come to see that they would benefit from such cooperation and from embracing something they will never be able to defeat.

It's a case of smart people being too smart for their own good.

And I'd be embarrassed to know, let alone be related to, anyone who's signature is as clueless as yours.

I know. Because you can change the culture at the U - a stated objective - by just changing the football coach and not addressing the fundamental problems at the U that are rooted in weak leadership in the administration for the past few decades.

Top Bottom