Why is it not cool to stay at home and play for the Gophers?

I hope you locate your meds.

Why would I need meds dude? That is such an incredibly LAZY response.

What? HATE is not accurate? Maybe they just disrespect UMn? Maybe its LOVE, meaning they LOVE being able to poke fun at us and enjoy laughing at us? None of the bullies of the world want the skinny little guys they pick on to grow up into strong, fit and good looking men. Steals the thunder, ruins the joke.

What? Do you think I'm proposing its a big conspiracy or something? lol

It doesn't take a conspiracy for all of the bullies in the school to ALL pick on the same skinny little nerds. It just happens. And I'm also not suggesting that we are the only school that the rest of the sports world doesn't want to succeed.

Ask Gopher fans how jazzed they were when a couple nerds rose up and beat them in hockey, Yale & Union? In hockey we are the bully.

NDSU does a great job of developing players. They have a great system in place that works well. That's been the biggest difference between the two programs.

Then what were you saying? What "difference" are you talking about?

Why would I need meds dude? That is such an incredibly LAZY response.

What? HATE is not accurate? Maybe they just disrespect UMn? Maybe its LOVE, meaning they LOVE being able to poke fun at us and enjoy laughing at us? None of the bullies of the world want the skinny little guys they pick on to grow up into strong, fit and good looking men. Steals the thunder, ruins the joke.

What? Do you think I'm proposing its a big conspiracy or something? lol

It doesn't take a conspiracy for all of the bullies in the school to ALL pick on the same skinny little nerds. It just happens. And I'm also not suggesting that we are the only school that the rest of the sports world doesn't want to succeed.

Ask Gopher fans how jazzed they were when a couple nerds rose up and beat them in hockey, Yale & Union? In hockey we are the bully.

It is, of course, widely known inside the walls of the NCAA that all outgoing employees spend a considerable amount of time with any new hires so that they are brought up to date on which teams to hate and which to love. In the Gophers case, all employees are instructed to make sure all opponents of Minnesota are given every competitive advantage possible. We must never let the Minnesota Gophers be successful, EVER!

Then what were you saying? What "difference" are you talking about?

They have a system that works well. That's why they've won a lot. The Gophers have not won a lot.

Sportsfan24 was stating that he thinks many of the lesser recruited in state guys are just as talented as many of the out of state guys the Gophers usually sign. I disagree. I think NDSU has done a great job getting the most out of them and putting them in a position to succeed.

IMHO, some of these kids who were unable to get a scholie or PWO offers from the Gophers and opted for NDSU made the right choice. They have a greater chance to shine and get more reps and playing time which probably further their development better than if they were to walk on with the Gophers.

We are going to miss a few national recruits and kids who end up with NDSU and other FCS schools each year. We just hope that the ones the Gophers offered scholies & PWOs to pan out. Conversely, you can be considered a second tier player in the ratings, end up at NDSU and potentially make it into the NFL.

They have a system that works well. That's why they've won a lot. The Gophers have not won a lot.

Sportsfan24 was stating that he thinks many of the lesser recruited in state guys are just as talented as many of the out of state guys the Gophers usually sign. I disagree. I think NDSU has done a great job getting the most out of them and putting them in a position to succeed.

Ok, thank you for elaborating. Now I see what you are trying to say, and I agree.

It is, of course, widely known inside the walls of the NCAA that all outgoing employees spend a considerable amount of time with any new hires so that they are brought up to date on which teams to hate and which to love. In the Gophers case, all employees are instructed to make sure all opponents of Minnesota are given every competitive advantage possible. We must never let the Minnesota Gophers be successful, EVER!

Like I said, no need for a conspiracy. Not hard for bullies to figure out who they are going to pick on each year.

In hockey circles, the Gophers ARE one of the bullies. In almost every other sport, the opposite.

In softball/baseball circles, the Gophers are the nerds. Southern/west coast dominance of both sports is a given, its where the money is at, and its why the NCAA "chose", yes, made a conscious choice to ignore UMn's #1 ranking in the Coaches Poll, #4 ranking in the other poll, and #11 RPI rating, and gave them the dreaded #17 seed, and hence, NO HOME GAME advantage. That decision was all about the money. And I know of at least one baseball season that the Gophers got screwed over. In Baseball, if its not Minnesota, its the B1G in general getting screwed over.

It's why Gopher football teams have gotten lesser bowl games than fans thought we deserved, because the people in the positions to make the decisions, felt other programs were "cooler", and would bring more fans, more ratings, MORE MONEY.

It is arguably a factor in why the Gopher men's bb team has gotten left out of more than one tourney that fans thought they should have slipped into.

You are going to get bullied until you can beat up on a couple of bullies. Then, you earn some respect.

You are going to get bullied until you can beat up on a couple of bullies. Then, you earn some respect.

Years ago when Steve Young started his TV career after football they were doing season starting predictions on who would win the super bowl, he said something like "I'll never pick the Vikings until they show me by winning one."

I remember being irked by that ... but over time I realize... dude has yet to be wrong...

Years ago when Steve Young started his TV career after football they were doing season starting predictions on who would win the super bowl, he said something like "I'll never pick the Vikings until they show me by winning one."

I remember being irked by that ... but over time I realize... dude has yet to be wrong...

I feel the same way about SCSU hockey. lol

They beg for respect, but I just keep saying, EARN IT!!!

Beating the Gophers, btw, during the regular season, doesn't count. Any team can get up for their version of the "super bowl". Deliver when it matters.

Have you seen NDSU competition? No disrespect to them but to compare success of the Gophers to Ndsu is apples to oranges. Their FCS competitors are simply not very good and they have risen far beyond the JV division of D1. Time for them to find a new conference and then make comparisons.

You are right. About 3 years ago the Gopher Softball team played a ton of West Coast teams, most of them very highly rated, and they dominated them. They DID get a Top 16 seed and home field advantage in the tourney that year. I think they kind of choked come tourney time? But BECAUSE they beat up on the recognized bullies, they were given their chance and they blew it. A few short years later(last year), after beating up on mostly the wimps on the playground, they basically got screwed. Thing is, and I'm NOT justifying the NCAA's actions, but it wouldn't have happened to them had they not choked the year they were given a shot. Not saying its fair, just the way the world works.

Have you seen NDSU competition? No disrespect to them but to compare success of the Gophers to Ndsu is apples to oranges. Their FCS competitors are simply not very good and they have risen far beyond the JV division of D1. Time for them to find a new conference and then make comparisons.

Yeah, NDSU needs to move up to Div 1, or stop acting like they are something special.

I mean, a parent of a Class A state Wrestling Champ, for example, should be proud as can be. But don't get all pissy when the Class 4A champ gets an offer from the U and their kid doesn't. Same in any and every sport.

Any of you remember the Ben Rothlisberger led Miami of Ohio Hawkeyes? lol

Did any of you EVER believe that they were one of the Top 4 teams in the nation?

They got creamed by a very average Iowa team, then went on to win a bunch of games vs nobodies, got all the way up to #4 in the rankings, then got SPANKED in their bowl game??

Quite the opposite of what UCF did this season. They actually deserve a lot of respect.

You are right. About 3 years ago the Gopher Softball team played a ton of West Coast teams, most of them very highly rated, and they dominated them. They DID get a Top 16 seed and home field advantage in the tourney that year. I think they kind of choked come tourney time? But BECAUSE they beat up on the recognized bullies, they were given their chance and they blew it. A few short years later(last year), after beating up on mostly the wimps on the playground, they basically got screwed. Thing is, and I'm NOT justifying the NCAA's actions, but it wouldn't have happened to them had they not choked the year they were given a shot. Not saying its fair, just the way the world works.

They played 1 "west coast team" (Arizona State) in the preseason of the year they hosted the regional. Last year they played more ranked teams in the preseason then the year they hosted a regional.

They played 1 "west coast team" (Arizona State) in the preseason of the year they hosted the regional. Last year they played more ranked teams in the preseason then the year they hosted a regional.

GBY fan of Ray Williams :cool:

Well, I'm getting old. So my memory is not the best. But I remember ONE season, we just whooped up on the west coast, it wasn't even funny how badly we dominated them. Maybe it was further back? Definitely after Allister got here. Maybe we didn't get to host the Regional? But our ooc schedule was awesome!!!

It was 2014-15.

We KILLED the West Coast that year.

Swept Stanford, beat UNLV and Washington, Ariz St. California, etc..

Ok, now that I think about it, we got SCREWED that season, too. Got stuck playing a Zona team that should have been ranked below us.

Man, bringing back bad memories.

This data is from rivals.
There were 14 recruits from Tennessee with 4 stars or higher, only 4 signed with the Vols.
There were 36 recruits from Illinois with 3 stars or higher, only 2 signed with the Illini
There were 6 recruits from Minnesota with 3 stars or higher, 4 signed with the Gophers

Our problem isn't that we aren't cool enough to land our local kids, our problem is we need to develop more D1 prospects.

This data is from rivals.
There were 14 recruits from Tennessee with 4 stars or higher, only 4 signed with the Vols.
There were 36 recruits from Illinois with 3 stars or higher, only 2 signed with the Illini
There were 6 recruits from Minnesota with 3 stars or higher, 4 signed with the Gophers

Our problem isn't that we aren't cool enough to land our local kids, our problem is we need to develop more D1 prospects.

You are spot on. We may start to see kids who develop into FBS level players at schools like NDSU decide to transfer up after a couple years given the new transfer rule. It will be interesting to see if more local players decide to do this if Fleck promotes this option to them.

I wonder what the weather is in the city of Denial?[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom