Coach Fleck welcomed to the Jungle

husker70

Reaction score
Coach Fleck was the last guest on the Jim Rome show from radio row at the Mall of America. It goes out to his radio affiliates and CBS Sports TV. He talked about the athletes village, having the Eagles there, Kirk Cousins addressing the team. It was all good, and getting a little Jungle Karma is great.

Coach Fleck was the last guest on the Jim Rome show from radio row at the Mall of America. It goes out to his radio affiliates and CBS Sports TV. He talked about the athletes village, having the Eagles there, Kirk Cousins addressing the team. It was all good, and getting a little Jungle Karma is great.

P.J. Fleck Gets The Evening Yak Ready to Run Through a Brick Wall
https://www.barstoolsports.com/newyork/p-j-fleck-gets-the-evening-yak-ready-to-run-through-a-wall/?_branch_match_id=488197784631136222

I have to say, PJ doesn't miss an opportunity to get the football program maximum exposure and makes the most of it. This is something I'm glad we have in a football coach.

I have to say, PJ doesn't miss an opportunity to get the football program maximum exposure and makes the most of it. This is something I'm glad we have in a football coach.

He definitely gets the advertising side of college sports. You might even say he's elite in that regard.

PJ Fleck is a glib talker. He gets people's attention. Here's an excerpt of Bar Stool Sports 6-7pm – Evening Yak — Big Cat, Adam Ferrone and Jared Carrabis show at Cowboy Jack's at MOA if you don't want to listen to the whole radio show:

Video counter -6.23: talk show participant question: "So coach, you really have an infectious personality. You love coaching. Is there anything about coaching that you don't like?"

PFF: "Ahp, (losing to Wisconsin jab by talk show host) I think eh, I think having the perception vers(us) reality like actually what's what's really there."

Video counter -6.06: PJF - "We are in a pro market. Every sport around us is a pro team. We live in a kind of pro city. So, we have the expectations of a pro team like you can go out there and draft and free agent and cut people, and flip over everybody (but?) can't do that in college football."

... "What you have is what you have and you have to develop that. You gotta get the players (that) you recruit in there. You gotta develop the players that are actually there."

"We got three coaches in three years. You got a cultural shift, and ah a new way of developing things again. So it is time to bring cultural sustainability to the University of Minnesota. And that's what we wanna do, but I guess it's just the perception vers(us) what's real, and because as a coach you wanna make sure everyone has a realistic point of view of exactly where you're at."

"But, then again that sounds like coach talk. There will be a time when I'll sit down and say, we better be darn good this year. Like this is the year. We'll eventually get to that point. Ah, but then again we need to build to that point." -5.16

He is also entertaining and easy to interview.

I think getting PJ on your show is a lot more fun / easier to do your job as an interviewer / producer than say some personalities that aren't much ... personality.

I think that is a big part of it, PJ's energy makes a show easier to do and that gets him invites.

He is also entertaining and easy to interview.

I think getting PJ on your show is a lot more fun / easier to do your job as an interviewer / producer than say some personalities that aren't much ... personality.

I think that is a big part of it, PJ's energy makes a show easier to do and that gets him invites.

He also says exactly what you expect him to say. It's all very by the book, no surprises.

The SB in Minneapolis is is really the best thing that could have happened to Gopher football and PJ knows exactly how to maximize the exposure. I can't imagine any coach we have had in recent years to capitalizing on this opportunity like PJ has. Almost as if it was part of his plan all along.

<b>The SB in Minneapolis is is really the best thing that could have happened to Gopher football </b>and PJ knows exactly how to maximize the exposure. I can't imagine any coach we have had in recent years to capitalizing on this opportunity like PJ has. Almost as if it was part of his plan all along.

How is having the SB here so great for the U? I mean really, did people not know about MN before? What effect is having PJ on a few additional national radio shows really going to have? It doesn't hurt, but I don't see it moving the needle on our results at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is having the SB here so great for the U? I mean really, did people not know about MN before? What effect is having PJ on a few additional national radio shows really going to have? It doesn't hurt, but I don't see it moving the needle on our results at all.

Yes it is this exposure. In flyover land they think we are more alike Alaska here than the coast because of the cold. We have more people here and are a bigger media market than most realize. Fleck promoting the U and football cannot do anything but help the U. Having the adV here helps that. The cli.ate is the clinate, you wear more layers and embrace the suck of the weather in the winter, or moce.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Wow you need to get out more and actually understand the perception of MN. We love it yes but many parts of the country don't know the difference between MN and Wisconsin or North Dakota. etc. Like someone else said we are literally fly over country. All of this coverage is huge and Fleck is trying his best to move the needle and I think he is doing enough to captivate some of the recruits who are offered or considering the U right now. Kids in Georgia or Florida or Texas? They have no idea where we are or what we are. Have you been to Atlanta? Not just the airport but actually in the surrounding parts of the city? Buckhead does not count.

Wow you need to get out more and actually understand the perception of MN. We love it yes but many parts of the country don't know the difference between MN and Wisconsin or North Dakota. etc. Like someone else said we are literally fly over country. All of this coverage is huge and Fleck is trying his best to move the needle and I think he is doing enough to captivate some of the recruits who are offered or considering the U right now. Kids in Georgia or Florida or Texas? They have no idea where we are or what we are. Have you been to Atlanta? Not just the airport but actually in the surrounding parts of the city? Buckhead does not count.

If you think having the SB here is going to change the perception of MN you are fooling yourself. We had one before too, you know. I never disputed that PJ is a good promoter or recruiter. Different topics olddog.

If you think having the SB here is going to change the perception of MN you are fooling yourself. We had one before too, you know. I never disputed that PJ is a good promoter or recruiter. Different topics olddog.

We did have the Super Bowl here before, I recall it well. I think it also helped move the needle back then as every little bit of promotion helps. Super Bowls are about 20X the event as they were back in 1992. Maybe more as social media was not even an option.

You sound like Carl Gerbschmidt.

We did have the Super Bowl here before, I recall it well. I think it also helped move the needle back then as every little bit of promotion helps. Super Bowls are about 20X the event as they were back in 1992. Maybe more as social media was not even an option.

You sound like Carl Gerbschmidt.

You convinced me. Having the SB in MN is going to be a deal-maker for Gopher football. Thousands of football kids in the South and on the Coasts are going to have their eyes opened about MN this week. They will finally see that Minneapolis isn't Fargo and open both their minds and hearts to the possibility of coming to school here. Then, PJ will close the deal on the few he selects from the masses of eager kids in love with the idea of being Gophers after this week. Additionally, I see lots of folks moving here from around the Country and even more coming to visit - likely filling the stands on Saturdays. The only reason it took me so long to come around is I thought Buckhead was Atlanta.

Many kids grow up today not knowing the geography of the 50 states or could care that much.

Some folks think it it a tundra wasteland up here especially about all those Interstate Battery commercials a few years back about how cold it is in International Falls Minnesota.

It is good for the U, but not in a game-changing way. They aren't going to suddenly get better recruits or more fans because of the Super Bowl appearances, good opportunity to get visibility but no meaningful change.

And I'm guessing a lot of 18 year old kids have zero idea who Jim Rome is, let alone listen to him or the other guys. Maybe their dads might tell em but I don't think it's near the impact of ESPN special last fall. It all helps! PJ is great sound bytes. The facilities help. But it ain't magic. We gotta beat somebody we aren't supposed to beat a couple Saturdays in a row for anybody to really notice.

Many kids grow up today not knowing the geography of the 50 states or could care that much.

Some folks think it it a tundra wasteland up here especially about all those Interstate Battery commercials a few years back about how cold it is in International Falls Minnesota.

We didn't get that ad in Phoenix!:cool:

We didn't get that ad in Phoenix. :)

Yes it is this exposure. In flyover land they think we are more alike Alaska here than the coast because of the cold. We have more people here and are a bigger media market than most realize. Fleck promoting the U and football cannot do anything but help the U. Having the adV here helps that. The cli.ate is the clinate, you wear more layers and embrace the suck of the weather in the winter, or moce.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Yes, he does such a great job promoting. Best we have had in my lifetime from that perspective. He represents the program exactly how you would want it to be represented.

Top Bottom