B1G Game 10: Gophers visit Iowa (2-4-18)

92-84 Iowa final

Gustafson 25 pts, 15 reb, 2 blk

Bell 35 pts* (13-27, 1-2 3P, 8-13 FT), 7 reb, 2 ast, 4 to
Wagner 20 pts (8-17, 3-5 3P, 1-2 FT), 2 reb, 1 ast, 2 stl, 4 to

*career high

Wagner at 2010 pts for career

Well at least Rutgers took down Michigan to help with the parity.

Random thoughts, notes: Gustafson with 20 points in the second half. Edwards five fouls in six minutes. Pitts a bit of a no-show for the Gophers today. Bell and Wagner combined for 55 points for the Gophers (35 for Bell). Gopher guards were driving past the Iowa defenders all day. Based on the way the Gopher post players played against Gustafson today, if these two teams meet again in the BIG tourney, I'd sit Edwards and Fernstrom almost the entire game and go with a smaller lineup. When all five Hawkeye starters score in double figures, you know you're in trouble if you're the opposing team. Credit to the Gophers as they kept battling, but this was not a moral victory in any way. And on a somewhat unrelated subject, I am wondering why I listened to the Hawkeye announcers on BTN Plus. They called the Gophers the Badgers at least three times in the first half (maybe because the Gophers were playing like the Badgers), they credited at least four fouls to players who were not on the floor at the time, ...it goes on and on. I realize that these announcers are students, but doesn't the BTN ever grade their performances. Seems to me like BTN just wants to "take the money and run". Gopher BTN Plus broadcasts aren't much better, as they have a terrible habit of showing replays while there is action on the court. Either way, a big opportunity lost for our Gophers against Iowa.

I agree, not a moral victory at all, not if you want to be a NCAA team. How do you only have 3 assists for the game? Slow starts out of the gate on every road game is tiring to watch, coaches need to do a better job getting them prepared. Historically Purdue has also been a house of horrors, need much better starts the rest of the season.

I didn't think those missed layups, missed put backs and Bells missed free throws meant much early in the game-man was I wrong. Bell, kept the pressure on and in the end the Gophers had a good chance to end the losing steak in Iowa City. Even after Gustafson took it too Fernstrom the Gophers had their chances. Minnesota actually won the rebounding battle 42-41. Bello was one of only two players with double digit rebounds with 12. The other was Gustafson with 15.

Yes, I'm trying to recall anyone getting five fouls in six minutes.

Minutes Played (Starters Bolded)

40 Wagner
40 Bell
38 Hubbard
27 Pitts

25 Taiye Bello
16 Fernstrom
6 Edwards
6 Lamke
2 Brunson

I didn't think those missed layups, missed put backs and Bells missed free throws meant much early in the game-man was I wrong. Bell, kept the pressure on and in the end the Gophers had a good chance to end the losing steak in Iowa City. Even after Gustafson took it too Fernstrom the Gophers had their chances. Minnesota actually won the rebounding battle 42-41. Bello was one of only two players with double digit rebounds with 12. The other was Gustafson with 15.

Yes, I'm trying to recall anyone getting five fouls in six minutes.

Minutes Played (Starters Bolded)

40 Wagner
40 Bell
38 Hubbard
27 Pitts

25 Taiye Bello
16 Fernstrom
6 Edwards
6 Lamke
2 Brunson

If anyone has racked up five fouls that quickly, I would guess maybe Zoe Harper?

So the game was IN Iowa, and of course Iowa only garnered half as many fouls as our Gophers. They finished with one player with 4 fouls and we had 3 players foul out???

I can't watch games, so I depend on you all to report unbiasedly and honestly, did we get jobbed by the refs in this game? I mean OF COURSE, we could have played better, but was the reffing of this game a factor? Was this some serious home cooking? Seems the Gophers were called for TWICE as many fouls as the home team was???

If anyone has racked up five fouls that quickly, I would guess maybe Zoe Harper?

I was thinking possibly Korrine Campbell; but a quick search said Korrine lasted 13 minutes in a game against Penn State and 15 minutes in a win versus the Hawkeyes in Iowa City (the last time the Gophers won at Carver Hawkeye by the way). That was also the game Korrine accidentally knocked Roysland out of the action if I recall.

Campbell fouled out of 5 games that 06-07 season and Harper fouled out of 4. Campbell led the Gophers with 105 fouls. She had 49 of them, including 4 DQs, in conference play.

I was thinking possibly Korrine Campbell; but a quick search said Korrine lasted 13 minutes in a game against Penn State and 15 minutes in a win versus the Hawkeyes in Iowa City (the last time the Gophers won at Carver Hawkeye by the way). That was also the game Korrine accidentally knocked Roysland out of the action if I recall.

Campbell fouled out of 5 games that 06-07 season and Harper fouled out of 4. Campbell led the Gophers with 105 fouls. She had 49 of them, including 4 DQs, in conference play.
They were both prolific, since Harper played only a bit more than half as many minutes as Campbell that season. In fact, both averaged around a foul every six and a half minutes of playing time.

They were both prolific, since Harper played only a bit more than half as many minutes as Campbell that season. In fact, both averaged around a foul every six and a half minutes of playing time.

Wow, no wonder their names came to mind.

Top Bottom