Eagles fawn over Gophers’ brand-new practice facility: ‘It’s state of the art’

From my casual perspective on social media, nothing but positives about Fleck, the facilities, the city, etc. Can't hurt. I'm still a little shocked, that in 2018, so many people are shocked that the Twin Cities is a vibrant thriving place. Seems many of the national "hipsters" were convinced they were headed to Winnipeg.

Look at this way. Maybe some of the Eagle players have brothers, relatives, nephews, neighbors, etc.. who are getting recruited. They can then spread the word about the Gopher Athletic Village.

Yep, rewatched "Slaughterhouse Five" a few years back and recognized shots on Memorial Parkway in Minneapolis. Confirmed on the mntvlist.com list from 1972. Vonnegut is a great author and this is a great movie.

Hello. Goodbye.

Well, outside of recruiting, I'm ok with people from other parts of the country not knowing how good we have it here. lol Keeps em away, leaves more of the place just for us, lol.

But I was thinking about how we need a really cool movie to be filmed in Minneapolis and maybe St Paul, too? That shows what life is like here.

I mean, if you are thinking big movies, what do you remember?

Prince's Purple Rain, showed him driving his motorcycle through the countryside and Apollonia jumping into a lake? Sure it portrayed 1st Ave as a cool club, but it didn't really show off the city.

Fargo made Minnesota look really, REALLY bad. Made it look like Canada.

Can't think of any others?

But I think you get what I am saying.

"Made it look like Canada" What's wrong with that? If you said Wisconsin I'd understand.

A whole lot of Goldy and the cheerleaders/band in the NFL Honors preshow right now. Some good pub

Untamed Heart, Grumpy Old Men, Wild (small part here), Mighty Ducks

Yeah, and none of those movies did diddly to make the state look good. Hell, if I was a southerner and saw Grumpy Old Men, this would be the last place I'd want to move to.

Although I can't say I remember the movie Untamed Heart?

And NONE of those movies goes out of it's way to show the best aspects of Minnesota. The vast majority show only bumpkin sh1t.

OR, just use Minnesota for cheap filming costs and don't give a rats arse how Minnesota is portrayed.

One can hope they make a film featuring the Athlete's Village some day.

BTW, "Crossing the Bridge" is a movie that had some nice shots of Minneapolis. Granted it was portrayed as being Detroit so probably not much help.

I live in MN. Have my whole life. I also travel for my job and have seen many other places. Some better. Many worse. I like it here. I think it is a great place to live. However, I can't think of anything I care about less than if others do or don't agree, or even know. Why on earth should I care what people I don't even know think about MN? I can't even think of a reason to care what people I do know think about MN. There is something very Minnesotan about wanting others to like what you like. I don't get it at all.

If you care about Minnesota football, and want it to be great again, you should absolutely, 100%, care whether people from other states like the state of Minnesota and want to come here. This is so plainly obvious that I can't believe I have to elucidate it for you. Unless, of course, you're one of the simpletons who believe we can win Big Ten and national championships by signing 25 players from Minnesota every year. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are not.

Does that help you to "get it"?

If you care about Minnesota football, and want it to be great again, you should absolutely, 100%, care whether people from other states like the state of Minnesota and want to come here. This is so plainly obvious that I can't believe I have to elucidate it for you. Unless, of course, you're one of the simpletons who believe we can win Big Ten and national championships by signing 25 players from Minnesota every year. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are not.

Does that help you to "get it"?

I do care about MN football, a lot, but don't care at all what others think about the state of MN. Your analysis above sounds great, but if we were going to rank the reasons the Gophers haven't won a conference title in my lifetime I would guess "how others view MN" is about reason #96. In fact, if our likelihood of winning another B1G title is dependent on the World loving MN then we are officially screwed.

What do you think most people outside of AL think of Alabama?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, and none of those movies did diddly to make the state look good. Hell, if I was a southerner and saw Grumpy Old Men, this would be the last place I'd want to move to.

Although I can't say I remember the movie Untamed Heart?
Untamed Heart...the weird movie with the Matrix star where he has a baboons heart...you didn't see it?! Ha!
I remember laughing at the scene where it's raining in January. I figured they were joking...it's Minnesota and snow...but now we seem to get rain every January. I blame this movie for global warming! [emoji23]

I do care about MN football, a lot, but don't care at all what others think about the state of MN. Your analysis above sounds great, but if we were going to rank the reasons the Gophers haven't won a conference title in my lifetime I would guess "how others view MN" is about reason #96. In fact, if our likelihood of winning another B1G title is dependent on the World loving MN then we are officially screwed.

Most people outside of AL's must be cold this morning. Not sure they care about Alabama right now but they do care about a hot cup of coffee with breakfast after seeing the Al's hype with the Super Bowl coverage. :p

but don't care at all what others think about the state of MN.

Sure you do. You care that Carlos Dunlap, Daniel Faalele, Jack York, etc., etc. liked the state of MN when they visited and signed to play football here. If they hated the state and refused to live or play here, you would also care a lot about that.

Your analysis above sounds great, but if we were going to rank the reasons the Gophers haven't won a conference title in my lifetime I would guess "how others view MN" is about reason #96.

Disagree. If it were always 70 and sunny in MN, it would be much easier to recruit here. It's hard to get people to even come here, and once they do, many realize how awesome it is and come play football here - often staying and making their home here.

In fact, if our likelihood of winning another B1G title is dependent on the World loving MN then we are officially screwed.

This isn't what you said, and also not what we're discussing. Stop making things up. I don't care, and I don't think anyone does, what a random housewife in West Virginia thinks about Minnesota. If her son is an elite HS football player, I absolutely care what he thinks about the state of MN - and so do you.

Again, Nick Saban and staff don't and shouldn't care what 99.99999% of the population thinks of Alabama. I guarantee, however, that he and all Alabama fans care a great deal what elite HS football players think of the state of Alabama.

My assumption is players want to play for great coaches that give them the best shot for winning seasons, championships, and opportunity to get in “the league”. A cynic might suggest some blue chippers have other enticements from unscrupulous recruiters but that’s another rabbit hole.

Obviously some recruits will be loyal to the local teams they or their families grew up supporting either because they share the passion, or peer pressure. Some maybe aren’t ready to leave mom just yet (remember these are just juniors being recruited) while others are chomping at the bit to see the world.

Many levelheaded players will look at degree programs and opportunity before and after they graduate. Paradoxically if we are ever to truly compete for championships we need players that believe they are capable of and set on going pro and maybe aren’t as set on the student life.

The cold thing is way overblown. I’m not sure the Super Bowl coverage has really helped...hyperbole in all things is the order of the day and most of the national news coverage has revolved around that. I do like the organizers have embraced that identity.

I’m speculating but whether players “like” the city is probably way down the list behind the other factors. Find ways to win, develop guys for the league, and a positive feedback loop develops.

Sure you do. You care that Carlos Dunlap, Daniel Faalele, Jack York, etc., etc. liked the state of MN when they visited and signed to play football here.

You are assuming a)they liked the state of MN and b)that influenced their decision. Neither one is a given.

There are a million reasons one might choose to play CFB at a particular school that don't include "liking the location" - just like others take jobs in locations they don't necessarily like for other reasons. Every day.

I still don't give a rip if others like MN, sorry.

Untamed Heart...the weird movie with the Matrix star where he has a baboons heart...you didn't see it?! Ha!
I remember laughing at the scene where it's raining in January. I figured they were joking...it's Minnesota and snow...but now we seem to get rain every January. I blame this movie for global warming! [emoji23]

C'mon man......seriously?

Tell a kid, "I guarantee you a National Championship," or "I guarantee you will be a 1st-round NFL draft choice," and they would sign up to play in the worst hell-hole on earth.

If people in general have a favorable opinion of MN, that might hold a little sway with the parents. But kids want to go where they can either A. Win - or B. play right away. Quality of life, the # of Fortune 500 companies - that's window-dressing. It looks good in a brochure. But that is not what kids base their decisions on. At least not the elite athletes - the type who can make or break a program.

At the risk of sounding cynical, if a kid is really choosing a school because of academics, he's probably not a game-changing athlete. may be really good kid - but not the type who transforms a program.

And NONE of those movies goes out of it's way to show the best aspects of Minnesota. The vast majority show only bumpkin sh1t.

OR, just use Minnesota for cheap filming costs and don't give a rats arse how Minnesota is portrayed.

Maybe you should start an "I'm mad at movies" thread

Tell a kid, "I guarantee you a National Championship," or "I guarantee you will be a 1st-round NFL draft choice," and they would sign up to play in the worst hell-hole on earth.

If people in general have a favorable opinion of MN, that might hold a little sway with the parents. But kids want to go where they can either A. Win - or B. play right away. Quality of life, the # of Fortune 500 companies - that's window-dressing. It looks good in a brochure. But that is not what kids base their decisions on. At least not the elite athletes - the type who can make or break a program.

At the risk of sounding cynical, if a kid is really choosing a school because of academics, he's probably not a game-changing athlete. may be really good kid - but not the type who transforms a program.

True, check out the rosters for junior colleges across the nation. The locations of some schools aren't the most appealing.

May the Eagles' championship karma be left all over that facility and rub off on the Gophers for years.

So it was obviously our new facilities that gave the Eagles the advantage in that game right?

It was cool having the Super Bowl in town and the University and the city/State by all accounts did a great job hosting. Wish I could have attended the free show on Saturday on Nicollet mall

It was cool having the Super Bowl in town and the University and the city/State by all accounts did a great job hosting. Wish I could have attended the free show on Saturday on Nicollet mall

Yeah I’d like to see it back here in another 10 years or so.

In fairness it really should be in a northern city once in a while (not just when a new stadium is built) and we are one of the few northern cities that is legitimately capable of hosting. Same with the college fb title game.

I don't disagree with the jist of what you're saying, but I also don't think "play right away" is as a big a draw as folks think. Otherwise there would be a lot less stacking up behind talent or ranking variability year to year you see on teams ... but there isn't.

per Sid:

• Gophers coach P.J. Fleck said it was a great honor to have the Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles practice at his team’s new facility. “I think that was really good for our players. We had a lot of NFL players stop by and say hi to our players and talked, got a chance to be around some future NFLers too,” Fleck said. “I thought our facility was on display, and you hear numerous Eagles people saying this is one of the best facilities, if not the best facility, that they have ever seen.”

http://www.startribune.com/brian-dozier-still-hopeful-for-new-twins-deal/473498243/

Go Gophers!!

hat show with Bob Mould, The Suburbs, The Jayhawks, and Soul Asylum was very tempting. I was working at my company's downtown office that week and and really wanted to stay late for the shows, but could not pull it off.

It is amusing that some on this board seemed angry that the Eagles would be using the new facility and not the old place? Why????? Great PR for PJF and the U of M. Most Big Ten football programs do not get this type of opportunity and the U of M was noted a lot an many media outlets as was the case in the TCF Stadium era of Viking football.

Not very many cities can boast the number of professional sports venues that we have in the Twin Cities.

From what I see of PJ Fleck so far, he knows how to turn things that we have to offer here in addition to pro sports into positives. The timing of the Super Bowl and the completion of the Athletic Complex couldn't have come at a better time.

Let's hope that it helps the recruiting for Gophers FB & BB.

Gopher FB and Gopher BB need all the help they can get...I mean let's be honest.

hat show with Bob Mould, The Suburbs, The Jayhawks, and Soul Asylum was very tempting. I was working at my company's downtown office that week and and really wanted to stay late for the shows, but could not pull it off.

It is amusing that some on this board seemed angry that the Eagles would be using the new facility and not the old place? Why????? Great PR for PJF and the U of M. Most Big Ten football programs do not get this type of opportunity and the U of M was noted a lot an many media outlets as was the case in the TCF Stadium era of Viking football.

But remember, the players should be angry that they didn't get to practice in it first...that's what's important! ;)

Top Bottom