Shama: Gophers "nosedive" could result in 1,000 fewer tix sold per game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Richard Pitino’s Gophers basketball team is 1-7 since center Reggie Lynch was suspended. Another starter and high impact player, forward Amir Coffey, has missed six of those games because of injury. Interest in the team has declined and the Gophers could lose their remaining seven Big Ten regular season games including Saturday at Michigan. Minnesota is 14-10 overall, with a 3-8 conference record.

The nosedive of a team that once was rated among the top 15 in the country is impacting the box office, too. Before January the Gophers were on track to potentially sell out most of their Big Ten home games. It’s likely that the collapse on the court will result in at least 1,000 fewer tickets sold per game for five league games this winter. At an average of $55 per ticket that’s a total of $275,000 in potential lost revenue. And those numbers seem conservative, and don’t include other revenues like concessions and parking.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

I know Shama is not the most well liked but I think he is being conservative I would say it will be closer to 1500, this is the least interest I ever remember in Gopher hoops, with the Wolves emergence it is hard to justify paying to go watch this program with the struggles on and off the court.

per Shama:

Richard Pitino’s Gophers basketball team is 1-7 since center Reggie Lynch was suspended. Another starter and high impact player, forward Amir Coffey, has missed six of those games because of injury. Interest in the team has declined and the Gophers could lose their remaining seven Big Ten regular season games including Saturday at Michigan. Minnesota is 14-10 overall, with a 3-8 conference record.

The nosedive of a team that once was rated among the top 15 in the country is impacting the box office, too. Before January the Gophers were on track to potentially sell out most of their Big Ten home games. It’s likely that the collapse on the court will result in at least 1,000 fewer tickets sold per game for five league games this winter. At an average of $55 per ticket that’s a total of $275,000 in potential lost revenue. And those numbers seem conservative, and don’t include other revenues like concessions and parking.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

For the heck of it, I looked at stubhub for the Gophers game at Wisconsin later this month. There are a ton of tickets for less than $10. If we were playing well, I imagine a bunch of Gopher fans would have taken advantage of that.

The lost basketball revenue will be small compared to lost football revenue next year.

Coyle destroyed the football program. His management has already cost the U $ millions and it will be worst next year.

The lost basketball revenue will be small compared to lost football revenue next year.

Coyle destroyed the football program. His management has already cost the U $ millions and it will be worst next year.

The stuff people convince themselves of never ceases to amaze.

Lol. Ridiculous.

Maybe. Then maybe not.

Recruiting is important but, as this hoops season shows, a lot can happen after that. IMO the jury is still out with Pitino. Public perception of men's hoops and football have taken a hit recently, especially under Pitino.

Gopher football has been a disaster for decades. PJ and his culture have a huge uphill struggle to get the Gopher competitive. This is not WMU. Fleck already wrote of Year Zero and whatever year this year is. Who is gonna get excited over that???

At this point, I agree that both programs will lose big bucks next year.

Maybe. Then maybe not.

Recruiting is important but, as this hoops season shows, a lot can happen after that. IMO the jury is still out with Pitino. Public perception of men's hoops and football have taken a hit recently, especially under Pitino.

Gopher football has been a disaster for decades. PJ and his culture have a huge uphill struggle to get the Gopher competitive. This is not WMU. Fleck already wrote of Year Zero and whatever year this year is. Who is gonna get excited over that???

Did you look at the quote I was responding to? Tell me how Coyle has "destroyed" the football team and cost the U "millions".

Lose money or make less than they could? Neither will lose money, not when you factor in their cut of the B1G Network revenue they bring in. They might make less due to performance, but that isn't the only revenue stream.

Lose money or make less than they could? Neither will lose money, not when you factor in their cut of the B1G Network revenue they bring in. They might make less due to performance, but that isn't the only revenue stream.

As the OP states, lost revenue with lower ticket sales.

Top Bottom