Rhabdomyolysis at Nebraska

Because putting kids in the hospital is rare and generally bad, most trainers don’t throw plebes back into intense workouts when they walk in the door. This is not rocket science, or debatable. They screwed up, they know it, but they made a business decision not to suspend or fire because #optics.

Beyond avoiding hospitalizations...even Nebraska trainers disagree on methods.

https://www.cornnation.com/2009/5/19/880717/boyd-epley-breaks-his-silence

Former Nebraska strength and conditioning guru Boyd Epley talked to the Omaha World-Herald's Dirk Chatelain about his thoughts on "energy systems" and how many coaches don't understand how the body of an athlete actually works in competition.

It's obvious right away that Epley has a fundamental disagreement with former Husker strength and conditioning coach Dave Kennedy, though he does his best to avoid throwing him under the bus.

"One of the things that made Nebraska successful, which is a little controversial, is running. We did not run as often or as far as a lot of people do. Sport coaches tend to overdo that. They do it for mental toughness, for whatever reason. But the way the body works and the way the game of football is played, there's need for recovery after each play. There's a burst during the play and then a recovery period.

"The body has an energy system that has three parts. The part that football uses only has about six or eight seconds of fuel. So during the rest period of a football game, the tank refills so that you have full power on the next play. If you train football players properly, they will have a great burst, then great recovery and be fully ready for the next play."
Keep in mind that Dave Kennedy was a big believer in having distance running, having offensive linemen running long distances, even timing linemen over the summer in a 2 mile run.

Q: What did you notice about the strength and conditioning program under Kennedy, who has since moved on to Texas A&M, and Bill Callahan, now with the New York Jets?

Epley: "There were some things that needed to be changed, but it wasn't my role to change them. It was (Kennedy's) program. There were some things I would've changed, but those things were probably better left unsaid."

I'm happy I made you laugh by using your own contradicting quotes.

How common do you think kidney failure in young athletes is? Particularly under the direct supervision of their trainers?

It's common sense, which is why I think you're having trouble with this.

How common do you think kidney failure in young athletes is? Particularly under the direct supervision of their trainers?

It's common sense, which is why I think you're having trouble with this.

It's common sense because the strength and conditioning is sound science not 'dismal science'. I agree they were pushed beyond a point they should have been. When you try to take a shortcut around what is sound science, that's what happens.

Your original point about strength and conditioning being 'dismal science' is wrong. Somehow you're the one who struggles with that.

I think it's mainly the mamas that feel they were pushed too hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let’s face it, college football exercise science, particularly under Osborne at Nebraska was/is compromised by anabolics and muddies the water. Nebraska bringing back their strength coach, head coach that were there during that period and suffering this embarrassment is somewhat karmic. Apparently Riley wasn’t into that stuff. The following is interesting - took down the personal records lists.

https://www.campuspressbox.com/2016...ht-room-records-the-osborne-way-and-steroids/

Top Bottom