Rhabdomyolysis at Nebraska

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Wide receiver Tyjon Lindsey and defensive lineman Dylan Owen were hospitalized after a winter workout last week, but have been released and have returned to the team, Nebraska coach Scott Frost confirmed to the Journal Star on Tuesday morning.

Lindsey and Owen both were treated for rhabdomyolysis, the first-year Husker head coach said. Lindsey was in the hospital for three days and Owen for two.

"Anything that happens in our program is ultimately my responsibility," Frost said. "Our strength coach and training room were coordinating to do absolutely the best they could to make sure the transition went smooth, but two kids that exerted themselves too far and had (rhabdomyolysis).

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Your what hurts?!

The topic has been that Frost has been out front in dealing with this as opposed to other schools like Iowa and more recently Taggart, at Oregon.

The topic has been that Frost has been out front in dealing with this as opposed to other schools like Iowa and more recently Taggart, at Oregon.

Still, it's caused by excessive workouts. Probably trying to make a point by giving them a workout they had not done before. All fun a games until you kill someone. Used to happen in military recruits fairly often.

1) Exertional rhabdomyolysis is the degeneration of skeletal muscle caused by excessive unaccustomed exercise. Symptoms of rhabdomyolysis include muscle pain, weakness, and swelling; myoglobinuria (presence of myoglobin in the urine); and increased levels of muscle enzymes and other muscle constituents in the blood.

2) Myoglobin in the urine causes the urine to darken in color. In rare cases, myoglobin can precipitate in the kidneys and cause renal failure. This has resulted in the death of some young, apparently healthy individuals.

3) Severe incidents of rhabdomyolysis tend to occur at the initiation of a training program when exercise is excessive and accompanied by heat stress and dehydration. Insufficient acclimatization, inadequate diet, and lack of specific physical conditioning may also contribute to this condition.

https://www.gssiweb.org/en/sports-s...tional-rhabdomyolysis-and-acute-renal-failure

Good response, but the bottom line is they worked the kids too hard.

Correct. Easy to do for an amateur, but these are athletes and the coaches should know better. Rhabdo doesn’t just happen with a moderate reconditioning workout. Not a great way to start his tenure.

I’ve said it before, strength and confpditioning is the the real dismal science.

There are no shortcuts. IMHO, exercise and conditioning intensity has to be monitored on an individual basis. Doing it too intense too soon will result in the body break down like this.

Rabdomyolosis can cause kidney failure real quick.

It’s pretty obvious nobody wants to spoil the Frost honeymoon. This happens under a less popular coach...well....

I do not think that Frost will do much better than Bo P

I'm just curious as to who gets the bill for this. Has to be a solid $50k each, with a likely $0 contribution from health "insurance."

This is nothing new, go back Iowa had a huge problem with this after Coach Ferentz had praised his strength and conditioning coach. To build muscle you tear down the muscle to build it. If the strength and conditioning coach says he wants you at whatever, and in this episode you go after it for 36 hours you are going to have problems.

This is nothing new, go back Iowa had a huge problem with this after Coach Ferentz had praised his strength and conditioning coach. To build muscle you tear down the muscle to build it. If the strength and conditioning coach says he wants you at whatever, and in this episode you go after it for 36 hours you are going to have problems.

Ferentz even gave to coach an award I belive...

There are no shortcuts. IMHO, exercise and conditioning intensity has to be monitored on an individual basis. Doing it too intense too soon will result in the body break down like this.

Rabdomyolyis can cause kidney failure real quick.

You'd have to think that some D1 college football teams are under a lot of pressure to win push athletes to their physical limits.
If the strengths and conditioning are not monitored properly or pushed too fast too soon, things can get out of hand and have unintended disastereous consequences. The end result is that player development will be pushed back even further.

This is one good reason to consider red shirting as many players as possible. It takes a long time to develop players especially those with weak HS S&C programs. Player development takes time.

Iowa had that case of rabdomyolysis in 13 football players in 2011 - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/586596-iowa-football-what-landed-13-players-in-the-hospital

It makes you wonder how can that many players all develop "rabdo" at the same time doing the same physical routines just before the start of their regular conditioning. It may be just the case that the players were not given enough recovery time (or overlooked) before the start of their regular conditioning program.

Per the NCAA: Does not say if there are consequences for programs with repeated cases of ERM http://www.ncaa.org/health-and-safety/medical-conditions/ten-factors-can-increase-risk-exertional-rhabdomyolysis

Return to Play After Exertional Rabdomyolysis -

Recommended Four-Phased Return Plan

Phase/Activities

I
Return to activities of daily living for 2 weeks
Regular monitoring by athletic training staff
Screening for symptoms consistent with exertional rhabdomyolysis, sleep patterns, hydration, urine color, and class attendance
Monitoring of creatinine kinase and serum creatinine by primary care physician
II
Daily monitoring of hydration status, muscle soreness, and swelling
Initiation of physical activity: foam rolling, dynamic warm-up, aquatic jogging, and stretching
III
Progression of physical activity: body-weight resistance movements, resistance training with elastic band, core training, stationary bicycling, and stretching
IV
Initiation of resistance training at 20%–25% of estimated 1-repetition maximum, agility exercises, and running

Player then returns to normal activities under the guidance of strength and conditioning staff.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5013704/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If anybody cares to go in depth about exertional rabdomyolysis:

(per gopherfannn) As far back as 1988 - (case study 1993) - https://www.gssiweb.org/en/sports-s...tional-rhabdomyolysis-and-acute-renal-failure

Indiana State University Case Report (2101) - http://natajournals.org/doi/full/10.4085/1062-6050-47.2.228?code=nata-site

Exertional rhabdomyolysis: physiological response or manifestation of an underlying myopathy? (2016) - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5117086/

I guess they haven’t heard of 6 minute abs

Edit: this is a tongue and cheek comment, for the idiots out there.

Correct. Easy to do for an amateur, but these are athletes and the coaches should know better. Rhabdo doesn’t just happen with a moderate reconditioning workout. Not a great way to start his tenure.

I’ve said it before, strength and confpditioning is the the real dismal science.

Moderate conditioning gets coaches fired.

Moderate conditioning gets coaches fired.

Pushing past muscle failure, after a long layoff, trying to hit an arbitrary time duration, because "new sheriff" is idiotic and should get a coach fired for incompetence.

Like it or not, that shouldn't happen.

With all the technical equipment that can be used to monitor high-level athletes these days I am kind of shocked this could happen. Sounds very irresponsible on the part of the coaches.

Pushing past muscle failure, after a long layoff, trying to hit an arbitrary time duration, because "new sheriff" is idiotic and should get a coach fired for incompetence.

You are spot on. The "new sheriff" stuff is idiotic, all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An example of "moderate exercise" would be walking briskly or ballroom dancing.

I never insinuated that what the staff did was the right thing to do, but you need to work at a higher level than "moderate" to be a D1 athlete.

With all the technical equipment that can be used to monitor high-level athletes these days I am kind of shocked this could happen. Sounds very irresponsible on the part of the coaches.

Rhabdo can sneak up on a serious athlete after not working out. Say one takes a couple weeks off (doesn't work out during Christmas break), then initiates a workout with grueling intensity that they would have been able to accomplish before the break. That could be all it takes.

I agree this should be thought about by the coaches.

Of course it’s hard to understand something that doesn’t make any sense. Nice job of not explaining yourself.

Like nutritional science, supplementation, diets there are a lot of “varying” approaches. Is that easier for you to understand?

Bottom line, barring extenuating circumstances what happened is a sign of an inappropriate workout. As ats mentioned even a few weeks off leads to pretty significant changes and a need to moderate workouts to baseline levels. The ten percent rule is never a bad idea and will get people back in the game without a rhabdo event.

An example of "moderate exercise" would be walking briskly or ballroom dancing.

I never insinuated that what the staff did was the right thing to do, but you need to work at a higher level than "moderate" to be a D1 athlete.

So you’re shaking your fist at clouds?

Like nutritional science, supplementation, diets there are a lot of “varying” approaches. Is that easier for you to understand?

Bottom line, barring extenuating circumstances what happened is a sign of an inappropriate workout. As ats mentioned even a few weeks off leads to pretty significant changes and a need to moderate workouts to baseline levels. The ten percent rule is never a bad idea and will get people back in the game without a rhabdo event.

How do you know that? Since strength and conditioning is such a 'dismal science' with 'varying approaches' you would have no constant as a baseline, and no way to prove that what happened was a sign of an 'inappropriate workout'.

How do you know that? Since strength and conditioning is such a 'dismal science' with 'varying approaches' you would have no constant as a baseline, and no way to prove that what happened was a sign of an 'inappropriate workout'.

I’m literally laughing out loud right now.

Top Bottom