If you’re Coyle, why do u keep Pitino

He needs to make an appearance in the Big Dance by 2023 or he’s gone.

No. But it's the consequence of keeping a coach on the hot seat. One reason it's better to make a move a year too early than a year too late.

Not sure he is on the hot seat. If there is a zero percent chance you are getting fired before the start of next season, are you on the hot seat?

Not sure he is on the hot seat. If there is a zero percent chance you are getting fired before the start of next season, are you on the hot seat?

It's not zero % now, and it certainly won't be next year which was my point. He will be recruiting 2019 recruits with a seat that's at least warm. Doesn't make it easy.

F this clown. I had this guys back every step of the way. Even after everyone of my friends he is terrible. The bull**** he pulled tonight for the 2nd time this year,the kids battling back and then he gets the dumbest T ever. F Him Clown

I'm all for him sticking up for his team finally, but the timing of that tonight was brutal. How he didn't get one against NW and then lost it there baffles me.

Monson and Smith: three 5-star recruits in 14 years. Pitino playing serious catchup in that category.

Are you talking about Przy & Rickert?? 2 idiots, both who bolted too early, neither that helped deliver diddly squat to their home team?

Pryz left what? part way through his 2nd season was it? RR left despite ppl advising him otherwise. Pryz ended up a bust in the NBA, RR never even made it.

WOW, so thankful that we recruited them.

I'll take a Mason or a Murphy over those 2 anyday!!!

I guess 14 year nba careers and making 45 million dollars makes you a bust.

It's not zero % now, and it certainly won't be next year which was my point. He will be recruiting 2019 recruits with a seat that's at least warm. Doesn't make it easy.

It is 0% this year.
If they have a good year next year it is 0% next year.

If you are picking a coach who you think is good aren’t you going to assume they bounce back next year?

Any recruit picking us despite thinking the coach won’t bounce back next year isn’t picking us anyways.

I guess 14 year nba careers and making 45 million dollars makes you a bust.

Ok, calling him a bust may not have been appropriate. But that depends on what the expectations were of him when he first left for the NBA, and then long term. His first season he averaged ONE across the board. 1 pt per game, 1 def rebound, 1 off rebound, 1 block, .l assts, .1 steals. OH WAIT, he did average TWO as well, that being 2 personal fouls per game. His 2nd season he averaged as many personal fouls as he did points and def rebounds. It wasn't until his 5th season before he scored more points than he commited personal fouls. And that was the peak of his career as far as scoring went, yet still only averaged 6.4 pts a game. He had better years rebounding later on, but I guess what I'm saying is that he himself and many Gopher fans all expected him to do more in the NBA than he did. If you had to pick an All-Time Gopher team, would Pryzbilla even make Honorable Mention?

It is 0% this year.
If they have a good year next year it is 0% next year.

If you are picking a coach who you think is good aren’t you going to assume they bounce back next year?

Any recruit picking us despite thinking the coach won’t bounce back next year isn’t picking us anyways.

It's certainly not 0%.

Obviously if he returns and we have another great turnaround the issue goes away for the time being.

If you're a recruit on the fence between two schools and you think there's even a 25% chance the coach won't be there when you arrive, you're choosing your other option.

Are you talking about Przy & Rickert?? 2 idiots, both who bolted too early, neither that helped deliver diddly squat to their home team?

Pryz left what? part way through his 2nd season was it? RR left despite ppl advising him otherwise. Pryz ended up a bust in the NBA, RR never even made it.

WOW, so thankful that we recruited them.

I'll take a Mason or a Murphy over those 2 anyday!!!

So they weren't 5 stars? The databases seem to say they were.

It's certainly not 0%.

Obviously if he returns and we have another great turnaround the issue goes away for the time being.

If you're a recruit on the fence between two schools and you think there's even a 25% chance the coach won't be there when you arrive, you're choosing your other option.

I think he is saying he WANTS it to be 0%. There is no way that he thinks it is 0% for people that are making decisions.

So they weren't 5 stars? The databases seem to say they were.

I'm not saying that they weren't 5 stars. I'm saying that they gave us a combined 3.5 seasons, none of which gave us the hope that last year gave up. Mason & Murphy will have given us 7 years at the end of this season, and more than likely Murphy will make that 8 next year and I'd take their 8 years and the hope that last year brought us, and this year should have, and we still get one of them come next year, and I'd take that over some 5 stars that come in for 2 or less seasons and then leave for the NBA, despite advice that it would be better to wait. Neither was ready for the NBA, Rickert never even made it to the Big League, and Pryz needed several years before his contributions to his NBA team even were noticeable.

I think he is saying he WANTS it to be 0%. There is no way that he thinks it is 0% for people that are making decisions.

I disagree, I believe that he THINKS it is 0% right now. And if you asked, my guess is he'd give you over 5.4 million reasons why it is 0% right now.

I know it’s really tough to win in big ten without starters. You can’t blame Pitino for injuries but you shouldn’t give up consistently high 80s to 90s period if you’re a great coach. Also he recruited some trouble with Lynch, McNiel, Lofton, Dorsey to name a few. I think maybe give him 1 more year but I’d be good to move on too.
Top targets
Danny Hurley
Kevin Boyle
Eric Musselman
Steve Forbes
Randy Bennett
Chris Jans
Earl Grant
Scott Nagy
Ryan Saunders
TJ Otzelberger
Nikko Medved
In that order or something comparable

I know it’s really tough to win in big ten without starters. You can’t blame Pitino for injuries but you shouldn’t give up consistently high 80s to 90s period if you’re a great coach. Also he recruited some trouble with Lynch, McNiel, Lofton, Dorsey to name a few. I think maybe give him 1 more year but I’d be good to move on too.
Top targets
Danny Hurley
Kevin Boyle
Eric Musselman
Steve Forbes
Randy Bennett
Chris Jans
Earl Grant
Scott Nagy
Ryan Saunders
TJ Otzelberger
Nikko Medved
In that order or something comparable

Kevin McHale has been eliminated from the list? :cool:

I know Kevin Boyle has recruiting ties, but a HS coach with no ties to MN? Yikes, no thanks.

I like McHale but prefer younger coach who can coach for many years. I know it sounds absurd with bringing a HS coach to big ten but Danny Hurley was HS coach before Rhode Island and look at what he’s done. Boyle can recruit and coach. Players like Kyrie Irving, Ben Simmons, Michael Kidd-Gilghrist, Dangelo Russell, RJ Barrett to name a few go to play for Boyle not other preps but Boyle. He can address ties to MN with assistant coaches too like Ben Johnson staying cause MN is great b-ball state but the fact he can get top talent to come play for him says a lot.

I like McHale but prefer younger coach who can coach for many years. I know it sounds absurd with bringing a HS coach to big ten but Danny Hurley was HS coach before Rhode Island and look at what he’s done. Boyle can recruit and coach. Players like Kyrie Irving, Ben Simmons, Michael Kidd-Gilghrist, Dangelo Russell, RJ Barrett to name a few go to play for Boyle not other preps but Boyle. He can address ties to MN with assistant coaches too like Ben Johnson staying cause MN is great b-ball state but the fact he can get top talent to come play for him says a lot.

McHale is 60, and Boyle is 54. I'm intrigued by the prospect of bringing someone like that here (not that it will ever happen), but it wouldn't be because of his age and the idea that he could coach here a long time. So many of our great "fans" complain that Tubby was old and washed up when we hired him, and he was 55 - one year older than Boyle is now.

I guess I never even thought of HcHale? As for his being 60 or Boyle being 54? Age is just a number, I was playing football with a group of guys all in their 20s and I was 40 at the time, and I was in the best shape at the time. I've gotten out of shape since then, but my point is that some men at 54 are old old men, with one foot in the grave, while the next guy at 60 still lives like he's got another good 20 years in him before he'll even start to slow down.

So my question wouldn't be how old are they, legally or technically, but how do they live their life, are they the guy with one foot in the grave or the guy kicking butt and taking names.

But I think its a mute point, as I read an article today on CBS's site, that listed all of the coaches on the hot seat in every conference, and they had 3 coaches listed for the B1G, and Pitino wasn't one of them.

His contract buy out is WAY to high to risk assuming last year was the fluke, not this year.

And as for Tubby, the complaints about his age only came up after a couple years and he started mailing it in.

And yet he went on to get hired by 2 more programs since then. Btw, Tubby was listed as being on the hot seat.

McHale is 60, and Boyle is 54. I'm intrigued by the prospect of bringing someone like that here (not that it will ever happen), but it wouldn't be because of his age and the idea that he could coach here a long time. So many of our great "fans" complain that Tubby was old and washed up when we hired him, and he was 55 - one year older than Boyle is now.

Still protecting tubby, eh Donna?

Tubby was the bb version of Glen Mason, with the main difference being that Tubby got lucky and got hired by UK, EXACTLY when he did. Won a Title with someone else's players, then in reality? Kentucky didn't want him anymore, then Minnesota fired him, then TT, now he's on the hot seat at Memphis.

So the 2 major differences is that Mason got out before making a fool of himself over and over again. And Mason stayed at Minnesota too long? Should have left after the 2003 season maybe? Might have gotten hired by the fb equivalent of UK bb when they hired Tubby? But then like Tubby, might still be trying to coach? lol Had we kept Tubby around as long as we kept Mason around, he might have just faded into obscurity as well after we finally got rid of him.

I like Pitino a lot, so as with everybody my opinions are colored by that bias. That being said...

There has to be concern with his ability to evaluate talent, particularly big men.

1. Johnathan Nwankwo appears to have been a bust.
2. Josh Martin appears to have been a bust.
3. Bakary Konate appears better suited to have played at a lower level.
4. Gaston Diedhiou appears better suited to have played another sport
5. Nobody in Louisville was wringing tears from handkerchiefs when Matz Stockman departed (soaking up two years of Minnesota scholarship for one year of yet-to-be-determined play).

FIFY

I'm in the same camp that the sins RP has committed that are hard to absolve him of center around Konate and Diediou. 4 years later and one of the two can almost catch a pass. Hard to believe there aren't guys on the football team that could have walked on and contributed more. Making a mistake on one of the two in a vacuum would have been easier to overlook, doubling down on terrible evaluation is hard to forgive.

In RP's defense the most hopeful thing I've seen is a shift in playing time(since the Ohio State game) away from Konate and towards the guys we will need next year. That also takes the level of basketball being played from being unwatchable (like the Ohio State game was) to merely frustrating which I'm not fond of but I can see hope in player development of Harris, Washington, Fitzgerald and even Hurt.

I had to turn off the Ohio State game when I saw Deidiou try to catch a pass, that isn't basketball. That looked like dodgeball.

FIFY

I'm in the same camp that the sins RP has committed that are hard to absolve him of center around Konate and Diediou. 4 years later and one of the two can almost catch a pass. Hard to believe there aren't guys on the football team that could have walked on and contributed more. Making a mistake on one of the two in a vacuum would have been easier to overlook, doubling down on terrible evaluation is hard to forgive.

In RP's defense the most hopeful thing I've seen is a shift in playing time(since the Ohio State game) away from Konate and towards the guys we will need next year. That also takes the level of basketball being played from being unwatchable (like the Ohio State game was) to merely frustrating which I'm not fond of but I can see hope in player development of Harris, Washington, Fitzgerald and even Hurt.

I had to turn off the Ohio State game when I saw Deidiou try to catch a pass, that isn't basketball. That looked like dodgeball.

I agree with all this. If next year's front court doesn't produce or show signs of promise, we need to reconsider RP. I have very high hopes and expectations for Oturu. While I don't expect him to slide in and instantly replace Lynch, I do expect him to be viable from day one, and to show flashes of greatness/potential.

I do give RP credit for bringing in Murphy and Curry, both very very good PF's. It's everybody else that has me concerned. Like many, I wasn't a fan of the Stockman move at all. He'll be serviceable at best, and has eaten up a scholly in a year that we desperately needed front court depth. I know why he did it, as he wanted to have a security blanket for next seasons roster, but I still didn't like the move. Only time will tell, but for now I like the prospects of next seasons front court and depth.

Like many, I wasn't a fan of the Stockman move at all. He'll be serviceable at best, and has eaten up a scholly in a year that we desperately needed front court depth. I know why he did it, as he wanted to have a security blanket for next seasons roster, but I still didn't like the move. Only time will tell, but for now I like the prospects of next seasons front court and depth.

I have this year's Gopher poster in my office and am looking at Matz Stockman right now. You look at Lynch's arms and even Bakary's (both very muscular) and then look at Matz's, and there's no comparison. It's beyond me how they expect him to play post with that physique. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't know how.

hypocrite. That is the word that applies, if you did not publicly and outwardly object to the recruitment of Bakary and Gaston, but now try to make it out as if Pitino is the worse coach ever because of his recruitment of those two.

I have this year's Gopher poster in my office and am looking at Matz Stockman right now. You look at Lynch's arms and even Bakary's (both very muscular) and then look at Matz's, and there's no comparison. It's beyond me how they expect him to play post with that physique. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't how.
If he can catch a pass and have a shooting % greater than .05, than consider him an upgrade.

hypocrite. That is the word that applies, if you did not publicly and outwardly object to the recruitment of Bakary and Gaston, but now try to make it out as if Pitino is the worse coach ever because of his recruitment of those two.

This has already been discussed ad naseum. You should know that because you're the one who started that discussion.

Sometimes as a coach and as a recruiter, you take a chance on a prospect, and they don't pan out. it happens. and when it happens, it's fair game to point out. the real issue is that Pitino took a chance on two prospects at the same position in the same year, and neither one panned out. That decision impacted the team's depth, and by extension, the team's performance. It's fair game to point that out.

You can't give the coach credit for moves that work out, and refuse to question the coach for moves that don't work out. Pros and Cons both go on the balance sheet, and then you add up the total at the bottom of the page.

FIFY

I hope that Konate and Diedhou have been students, because they haven't been athletes. I think that most major college coaches would have run them out of the program at least two years ago and Pitino deserves credit for keeping them. Maybe he needed them for the APR or maybe because it was the right thing to do (a shocking concept in college basketball).

Having said that, I eagerly await their graduation. They may be the worst four year scholarship players that I can remember.

Top Bottom