If you’re Coyle, why do u keep Pitino

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
I started a thread “Pitino would be gone by the end of the year” about 5 weeks ago and it was deleted. Let’s see if this one gets deleted as well (it would now defy logic if it did). This team will be lucky to win another game this year.

Who cares who you lose for players, a coach can still dictate attitude, effort and mindset. A coach can still implement strategy. Richie Rich is in way over his head and if his last name wasn’t Pitino he’d be nowhere near this job. It was a desperate hire by an AD who happened to be a desperate lush.

I hope Coyle has the competence to make a hire similar to Fleck in football and turn this God forsaken athletic department into something Minnesotans can be proud of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A real basketball coach would have benched any PG with the attitude and performance displayed by #2. Especially now that #11 is waking up to college play.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I posted on another thread that I cannot fathom the idea of Pitino getting a chance to coach for his job next year unless things drastically change over the last 7 games. Just for the hell of it I'll lay out a case for you keep Pitino if you're Coyle.

1. You simply can't afford/are not allowed to fire him- This is the simplest answer that someone decides his buyout is too high to move on from.

2. He's convinced you that he will land an impact player for '18 and Matthew Hurt in '19- Maybe Pitino has a player lined up for '18 that combined with the very good handful of players coming back will make the team an overwhelming favorite to at least make the tournament in '18...and then Matthew Hurt is coming to play with big brother for a year. I don't think any of this is likely, but it is at least a possible scenario.

His buy-out is the only thing saving him, IMO. And that's a terrible reason to keep someone around.

His buy-out is the only thing saving him, IMO. And that's a terrible reason to keep someone around.
+1

There is always a benevolent donor, or donors, who can scrape up the buyout money.

If you wanted to, you could cite the injuries and Lynch suspension as issues beyond the coach's control, and use that as a reason to bring him back.

In other words, give him next year to see what he can do with a full roster of his recruits.

If the Gophers come back with a better season next year, a lot of the talk dies down.

But, if they continue to show inconsistent effort and spotty play, then the hot seat goes from warm to scalding in a hurry.

+1

There is always a benevolent donor, or donors, who can scrape up the buyout money.

In this community we can not even get donors to cash out the new facility ! Other places thinking nothing of a 10 million buyout or donors that give a 100 million in one shot.

The team was snake bitten this year. Can't blame that on Pitino. Once again....he's bringing in a good recruiting class. I'd prefer to see what the team can do when healthy rather than start over again.

The team was snake bitten this year. Can't blame that on Pitino. Once again....he's bringing in a good recruiting class. I'd prefer to see what the team can do when healthy rather than start over again.

I agree! Love to see what izzo and calipari, and coach k would do with our depleted lineup which everyone still thinks we should be beating bad teams with. We have a depleted roster that for some reason people still think we should be winning big ten games. Dont count on it. It wont happen. We run out of gas and our roster with the guys that are playing just isnt good. Really tough to win a road game but we are all pissed we didn't beat Iowa who is bad. Is there anybody out there who thinks our starting lineup is big ten worthy tonight? Just sayin!

I agree! Love to see what izzo and calipari, and coach k would do with our depleted lineup which everyone still thinks we should be beating bad teams with. We have a depleted roster that for some reason people still think we should be winning big ten games. Dont count on it. It wont happen. We run out of gas and our roster with the guys that are playing just isnt good. Really tough to win a road game but we are all pissed we didn't beat Iowa who is bad. Is there anybody out there who thinks our starting lineup is big ten worthy tonight? Just sayin!

So the last two posts in this thread really annoy me. What would Izzo or Coach K do with our depleted lineup? They would beat Indiana and Northwestern at home (something the Gophers were FAVORED TO DO) and they would beat Iowa on the road. That is for sure. Fran McCaffery would have beat Iowa with Minnesota's players tonight. "Does anybody out there think our lineup is big ten worthy? Just sayin!" What are you saying? Did you see that Iowa has the worst defense by a mile of any team that plays in a power 5 conference? Did you see that they had nobody on their roster who could create a shot off the dribble or had a prayer of staying in front of Mason or Washington? Did you see that the Gophers had the most talented guard and the most talented big on the floor? Nobody is asking for anything close to miracles here, just competency. There is enough to beat the bottom half of this conference at home and certainly enough to beat teams like Iowa and Wisconsin on the road. And the "really tough to win a road game" thing? Pitino has a LOSING record at home at 19-21 through 5 seasons with only 2 season where he's finished above .500 at home. If it's really tough to win a road game then this should be absolutely unacceptable to you.

I just don't get this line of thinking that because the Gophers have had injuries/suspensions that it's ok to just fall from contending for the conference title to the absolute cellar or even worse that such a fall is "expected". If the Gophers performance post Lynch was what normally happens, a bettor would not be 7-1 betting against the Gophers to cover in the 8 games they've played since Reggie was suspended. Vegas doesn't just give away free money. With every terrible performance those Vegas lines move away from the Gophers...and they somehow continue to sink lower. Maryland's had injuries, Wisconsin has had injuries (and wasn't good to begin with), Ohio State is 10-1 in the B1G and they play Andrew Freaking Dakich 17 minutes a game.

Those guys would win with THREE of the Top 6 players completely out of the game, the entire game???

Oh, and Dupree? Is he finally not wearing the walking boot between games? Is he practicing yet? He wasn't a little bit ago, not even practicing.

That is FOUR of the Top 6 either out completely or just not even practicing with the team and wearing a walking boot between games.

Mason had surgery on his hip in the offseason? Is this true? And he aggravated this injury recently, most notably in the Maryland game?

Is he even at 100% right now? Or is he playing in pain?

Murphy hurt his ankle vs Ohio St???

He seems ok now, but is he 100%??? Or could he be playing in pain?

This team, as depleted as its been, just got done playing 5 games in 11 days, including 3 on an east coast road trip and during those 5 games, held several half time leads that dwindled away in the 2nd halves???

Maybe they were? Ummm? I don't know???? TIRED MAYBE?????

And some of you supposed fans rag on them for lack of effort or not trying hard enough????

What is wearing a foot boot inbetween games and still playing in those games? Obviously in pain???

What is coming back sooner than originally announced from a shoulder injury, only to reinjure or aggravate the injury and have to again miss more games? He wasn't even practicing with the team, but played in the games, IN PAIN.

And if Murphy is not 100%, he sure seems to still put in the effort.

Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Pitino was just Coach of the Year in the Big Ten if I remember correctly? He did just receive an extension on his contract. Half his team is now not playing but now he can't coach? So, if I'm the AD, I'm saying I changed my mind...I thought he was a good coach but I was wrong. I didn't pay any attention to how the roster was constructed and I'm not impressed with his incoming recruiting class so I think we'll part ways?

I hired a football coach and who took over a 9 win team and he won 5 games in year zero. Prospects are he is going to struggle to win 5 this season unless he finds a quarterback savior after he couldn't get along with his starting quarterback in year zero so he departed. His only two assistants who were new to the culture and by far his two best recruiters both leave for lateral at best or lesser coaching positions but I'm empowered as AD so I might as well double down and fire the basketball coach too.

Seems possible I guess.

So the last two posts in this thread really annoy me. What would Izzo or Coach K do with our depleted lineup? They would beat Indiana and Northwestern at home (something the Gophers were FAVORED TO DO) and they would beat Iowa on the road. That is for sure. Fran McCaffery would have beat Iowa with Minnesota's players tonight. "Does anybody out there think our lineup is big ten worthy? Just sayin!" What are you saying? Did you see that Iowa has the worst defense by a mile of any team that plays in a power 5 conference? Did you see that they had nobody on their roster who could create a shot off the dribble or had a prayer of staying in front of Mason or Washington? Did you see that the Gophers had the most talented guard and the most talented big on the floor? Nobody is asking for anything close to miracles here, just competency. There is enough to beat the bottom half of this conference at home and certainly enough to beat teams like Iowa and Wisconsin on the road. And the "really tough to win a road game" thing? Pitino has a LOSING record at home at 19-21 through 5 seasons with only 2 season where he's finished above .500 at home. If it's really tough to win a road game then this should be absolutely unacceptable to you.

I just don't get this line of thinking that because the Gophers have had injuries/suspensions that it's ok to just fall from contending for the conference title to the absolute cellar or even worse that such a fall is "expected". If the Gophers performance post Lynch was what normally happens, a bettor would not be 7-1 betting against the Gophers to cover in the 8 games they've played since Reggie was suspended. Vegas doesn't just give away free money. With every terrible performance those Vegas lines move away from the Gophers...and they somehow continue to sink lower. Maryland's had injuries, Wisconsin has had injuries (and wasn't good to begin with), Ohio State is 10-1 in the B1G and they play Andrew Freaking Dakich 17 minutes a game.

I'm kind of suprised you've gone this far against Pitino.

Can you try to forget this year (just for an exercise) and make the same arguments for last years team?

I agree, Pitino is not impressing this year. But as I posted in the Curry thread, I'm interested in what he can do with a full team of scholarship athletes after he cycles through HIS recruiting and roster management mistakes. If he takes another inelidgible transfer next year and is left with the short handed excuse again I'll stop discounting his early mistakes.

Those guys would win with THREE of the Top 6 players completely out of the game, the entire game???

Oh, and Dupree? Is he finally not wearing the walking boot between games? Is he practicing yet? He wasn't a little bit ago, not even practicing.

That is FOUR of the Top 6 either out completely or just not even practicing with the team and wearing a walking boot between games.

Mason had surgery on his hip in the offseason? Is this true? And he aggravated this injury recently, most notably in the Maryland game?

Is he even at 100% right now? Or is he playing in pain?

Murphy hurt his ankle vs Ohio St???

He seems ok now, but is he 100%??? Or could he be playing in pain?

This team, as depleted as its been, just got done playing 5 games in 11 days, including 3 on an east coast road trip and during those 5 games, held several half time leads that dwindled away in the 2nd halves???

Maybe they were? Ummm? I don't know???? TIRED MAYBE?????

And some of you supposed fans rag on them for lack of effort or not trying hard enough????

What is wearing a foot boot inbetween games and still playing in those games? Obviously in pain???

What is coming back sooner than originally announced from a shoulder injury, only to reinjure or aggravate the injury and have to again miss more games? He wasn't even practicing with the team, but played in the games, IN PAIN.

And if Murphy is not 100%, he sure seems to still put in the effort.

Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Agree 100%.

And as for Coach K and Izzo, they both have the most talented teams in their respective conferences, and Duke has the most talented team in the entire country. They are both currently in 3rd place in their conferences. But yeah, they never lose to teams they are favored to beat....:rolleyes:

This is the answer. You never fire a coach based on one season, especially considering this season's circumstances. He deserves a chance with next year's incoming class. The question is, what are reasonable expectations? I think the NCAA's are too much to expect with next year's youth and inexperience. So let's say they make the NIT in year 6 with another sub .500 conference record and with hopes to go to the dance in year 7. In all honesty, does that excite the fan base? Is that a palatable year 7 status report and body of work?

I don't mind admitting that this is a conundrum. Perhaps much of the question has to be whether Coyle goes to practice and observes good coaching or whether he watches the games and sees a fundamentally sound and disciplined team that defends and rebounds with good technique. I must admit, based on what I know about basketball, I don't see that.

In this community we can not even get donors to cash out the new facility ! Other places thinking nothing of a 10 million buyout or donors that give a 100 million in one shot.

I don't think there are very many places where they think nothing of a $10 million buyout.

I'm not sure what Pitino's buyout is now. I've seen the 5 + million buyout mentioned on this board but I wonder if it is that high at this point. I couldn't find a specific description of the buyout in the stories about the extension. In any event, I doubt they pull the plug. I don't see how next year couldn't be better. It surely couldn't be worse.

I'm sicking with Pitino at least one more year

I feel bad for Pitino. He's only allowed 6 scholarships? It seems like other teams get more than that. Maybe I just don't understand.

I posted on another thread that I cannot fathom the idea of Pitino getting a chance to coach for his job next year unless things drastically change over the last 7 games. Just for the hell of it I'll lay out a case for you keep Pitino if you're Coyle.

1. You simply can't afford/are not allowed to fire him- This is the simplest answer that someone decides his buyout is too high to move on from.

2. He's convinced you that he will land an impact player for '18 and Matthew Hurt in '19- Maybe Pitino has a player lined up for '18 that combined with the very good handful of players coming back will make the team an overwhelming favorite to at least make the tournament in '18...and then Matthew Hurt is coming to play with big brother for a year. I don't think any of this is likely, but it is at least a possible scenario.

I completely agree that #1 is the only way Coyle keeps him. It’s if the politicians and board members who seem to know nothing about college athletics won’t approve it. The thing is, if you’re guy is available this year it’s worth it. Also, waiting another 13 months can cost a fair amount of money due to lost revenue from apathy and the longer you wait the longer it takes to get that back.

[emoji1303] yep. Hopefully Coyle can enlighten the board and politicians.

this has got to be the dumbest thread ever.....Pitino isn't even close to the HOT SEAT.

Not a clue people.

Pitino was just Coach of the Year in the Big Ten if I remember correctly? He did just receive an extension on his contract. Half his team is now not playing but now he can't coach? So, if I'm the AD, I'm saying I changed my mind...I thought he was a good coach but I was wrong. I didn't pay any attention to how the roster was constructed and I'm not impressed with his incoming recruiting class so I think we'll part ways?

I hired a football coach and who took over a 9 win team and he won 5 games in year zero. Prospects are he is going to struggle to win 5 this season unless he finds a quarterback savior after he couldn't get along with his starting quarterback in year zero so he departed. His only two assistants who were new to the culture and by far his two best recruiters both leave for lateral at best or lesser coaching positions but I'm empowered as AD so I might as well double down and fire the basketball coach too.

Seems possible I guess.

Going from DB coach at Minnesota to DB coach at Texas A&M is not a "lateral at best" move.

Seems possible I guess.

Basketball coach completing his 5th season is 30-53 and might end up 30-60. His players whine more than children and display little mental toughness. Only in programs like Minnesota does he stick around.

As for the football coach? What power 5 schools have any interest in Claeys as a head coach? He’ll never be a head coach at a power 5 because no competent AD will ever hire him. He’s a like able guy who did very well as a DC under Jerry Kill. Face the facts, Kill built that team and it was the system and longevity of the staff that led to that 9 win season. Coyle averted a disaster. Look at how Claeys one true recruiting class was shaping up. You’re a fool if you think any good AD at any D1 program would chose Claeys over Fleck.

Basketball coach completing his 5th season is 30-53 and might end up 30-60. His players whine more than children and display little mental toughness. Only in programs like Minnesota does he stick around.

you have no clue what your talking about.

As much as this season has been disappointing I would probably keep Pitino as the head coach next year. Some of the problems have simply been out of his control starting with Curry tearing his ACL, Reggie being suspended, Dupree being hurt and Coffey being hurt.

I think they could be decent next year even with the loss of Reggie and Mason. Assuming no one transfers, I get this is probably unlikely, you will get a healthy Amir, Curry, Dupree and Murphy. Perhaps the Iowa game is what Isaiah needed to turn the corner? Time will tell. Throw in Matz and Oturu at the center position and hope they could replace Lynch's production in the aggregate. If Davonte departs after this year instead of taking the extra year, I would venture a guess that Pitino is going to be in the hunt for a grad transfer.

It sucks that we have been reduced to talking about the future again, but a turn around can happen. Obviously look at what Pitino did last year and look at what Tim Miles is doing this year. Bring in the right pieces along with what you currently have and you can take a huge jump.

As much as this season has been disappointing I would probably keep Pitino as the head coach next year. Some of the problems have simply been out of his control starting with Curry tearing his ACL, Reggie being suspended, Dupree being hurt and Coffey being hurt.

I think they could be decent next year even with the loss of Reggie and Mason. Assuming no one transfers, I get this is probably unlikely, you will get a healthy Amir, Curry, Dupree and Murphy. Perhaps the Iowa game is what Isaiah needed to turn the corner? Time will tell. Throw in Matz and Oturu at the center position and hope they could replace Lynch's production in the aggregate. If Davonte departs after this year instead of taking the extra year, I would venture a guess that Pitino is going to be in the hunt for a grad transfer.

It sucks that we have been reduced to talking about the future again, but a turn around can happen. Obviously look at what Pitino did last year and look at what Tim Miles is doing this year. Bring in the right pieces along with what you currently have and you can take a huge jump.

Spot on!

Meh. I guess his reason would be that there isn't a good reason to fire him this year. Not really a hot take or anything but most reasonable people can see how handicapped he is this year. It's a complete knee jerk reaction to start this thread after a loss when we had only 7 or 8 scholarship players even available and one of which is pretty much useless but was kept because at the time we needed the extra body to even field a team.

Pitino should get another year. What i see, as someone who isn't a basketball expert, is that our teams never seem to do the little things and Pitino can't adjust his philosophies, and those need to change. Our teams whine a lot, can't rebound, can't defend the 3, can't defend inbound plays, and don't have inbound plays. Other teams adjust their defenses and offenses to attack/exploit our weaknesses. We don't do that. We run the same defense where we over-extended and allow for many open 3s. We never play a zone defense, even when we have 8 scholarship players suited up and are playing 4 games in 8 days. We need better coaching to adjust to our personnel. Is that a Pitino stubborness issue or an issue with having 2 assistants that can recruit and none that can gameplan?

First, I'd like to thank all of the posters on GH who are capable of maintaining a level of perspective, as this season continues to go awry. Some of you understand the following things:

- Losing Eric Curry, Reggie Lynch, Amir Coffey, McBrayer (at times, and not full health), and even Nate Mason (for a few), has had a negative impact on the season
- The scholarships of Bakary and Gaston have hamstrung the front court depth. Yes, this is on Pitino, but it's a mistake he made four years ago. His recruiting since then has been far superior to that of any Gopher coach in the past 20 years.
- Last year was a major success, mostly due to incredible player development. Nate, Dupree, Jordan, Reggie. None of these guys were heralded recruits, yet they all thrived under Pitino. Was that a miracle, or can he develop talent?
- He just landed the best in-state recruiting class probably ever. For all of the petty griping that people do on here, he landed your precious in state talent, so seriously, get on board or shut the H*LL up.

I agree that Pitino is not the best coach out there, but he's young, and he can recruit, and all signs point to him being a good player developer (of those who are competent to begin with). Would you naysayers really like to start all over again, with yet another coach who is unproven and/or not that great? Who do you think that we're going to be able to attract to the job? I'll make it easy for you, the answer is some middle of the road guy, or taking a chance on another young unproven coach. That's what we get here, so accept it and make your choice wisely.

I can't guarantee success with Pitino, but I can guarantee failure for at least the next three seasons with a new coach.

Seriously, I hate GH for crappy thoughtless threads like this one. Grow up people.

Top Bottom