If you’re Coyle, why do u keep Pitino

This is just a terrible take. The ONE tourney win we've had in ages and you are strangely trying to discredit the victory. Bizarre.

And, no it's not. It does matter who you beat. How do people not care about quality of opponent? That was the single most fortunate/favorable matchup we've ever received. As in, I'm sure that Purdue fans will always be thrilled about that opening round victory over God knows who they beat last season.

More than anything, I'm annoyed that we only have one win, and it stunk when given context. Yes we won, we also would have beat Champlin Park HS that night, cool. We need better performance, and I think each of the team's the past two seasons could have achieved a bit of that.

I guarantee you that you would use bad recruiting as evidence against him.

I don't need to use bad recruiting against Pitino. I can use 30-53 conference (and going to get worse) record as actual evidence against him.

I don't need to use bad recruiting against Pitino. I can use 30-53 conference (and going to get worse) record as actual evidence against him.

Yes, if you completely ignore recency, and extraneous variability (injuries, suspensions, behavior) your data is super amazing.

They were 13-8 in conference when this group was relatively healthy.

And, no it's not. It does matter who you beat. How do people not care about quality of opponent? That was the single most fortunate/favorable matchup we've ever received. As in, I'm sure that Purdue fans will always be thrilled about that opening round victory over God knows who they beat last season.

More than anything, I'm annoyed that we only have one win, and it stunk when given context. Yes we won, we also would have beat Champlin Park HS that night, cool. We need better performance, and I think each of the team's the past two seasons could have achieved a bit of that.

The weird thing is you are being harder on the Gophers team that beat UCLA than the Gophers team that lost to MTSU and didn't play well after the first few minutes.

Go Gophers!!

Yes, if you completely ignore recency, and extraneous variability (injuries, suspensions, behavior) your data is super amazing.

Isn't the way the team performs on the head coach? Regardless of injuries, suspensions and behavior the performance and lack of identity 5 years in is telling.

As a wise man once said "You're who your record says you're"

The weird thing is you are being harder on the Gophers team that beat UCLA than the Gophers team that lost to MTSU and didn't play well after the first few minutes.

Go Gophers!!

Without Akeem Springs, yes. The 2012-13 played at full health and stunk. I'm not exactly thrilled with any of these teams, I'm just advocating for another year of Pitino.

Isn't the way the team performs on the head coach? Regardless of injuries, suspensions and behavior the performance and lack of identity 5 years in is telling.

As a wise man once said "You're who your record says you're"

I'll agree that they do lack identity, and that's probably on the coach. However, last year's team had the best identity of any team I can remember. So what is it?

And no, God no, injuries, suspensions, and behavior are not irrelevant. Perhaps, the latter two are partly on the coach, but I wouldn't take that very far.

They were 13-8 in conference when this group was relatively healthy.

Actually a number of players currently on the team were a part of 2-16 so when this group was relatively healthy they are 16-31.

While I get your point, I've already waited 20 years to see the Gophers finish above the Badgers in the conference standings, and it's not gonna happen this year either. I've come to believe that there's some virtue to impatience when it comes to sports in general and evaluating coaches in particular. The Vikings fired Steckel after one year, and didn't the Packers fire Rhodes after one year as well? Those are organizations that were serious about success and didn't need to see any more in order to make a decision. The truth is that you might have to kiss a few frogs before you find a prince.

Over the years, we've been Frenching and heavy petting with a whole army of frogs.

Actually a number of players currently on the team were a part of 2-16 so when this group was relatively healthy they are 16-31.

Dear God. If you think it's a fair comparison, then you can't be helped. I'm talking about the starting 5, OBVIOUSLY, and the one or two players in addition to that group.

+1

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'll agree that they do lack identity, and that's probably on the coach. However, last year's team had the best identity of any team I can remember. So what is it?

And no, God no, injuries, suspensions, and behavior are not irrelevant. Perhaps, the latter two are partly on the coach, but I wouldn't take that very far.

I think he more means program identity. Which is a separate issue, and is not something that changes year to year. It is constant, and it isn't defined by one player.

What are we known for?

Super tough defense? Nope.
Fast-pace fastbreak team? Not really.
Three point gunning squad? Definitely not.
Slow it down and fundamental-you-to-death style? No.
Pound it inside and beat teams with our size? Not that either.
Smothering zone defense that forces teams to shoot from outside? No.
Super talented program that out-recruits everyone? Definitely not.
High character all around where players always stay 4 years? Sadly no.

Programs that are able to be successful year in and year out have an identity. What is ours? If someone asked me to describe the identity of the Gopher basketball program I wouldn't even know where to begin. That's not a good sign five years in. We should at least have an idea of that by now.

I think he more means program identity. Which is a separate issue, and is not something that changes year to year. It is constant, and it isn't defined by one player.

What are we known for?

Programs that are able to be successful year in and year out have an identity. What is ours? If someone asked me to describe the identity of the Gopher basketball program I wouldn't even know where to begin. That's not a good sign five years in. We should at least have an idea of that by now.

Grand slam post ! That is by far my largest complaint. We built our firm on the study of how programs are built and without exception they establish something meaningful from day one because it weathers losses and becomes the brand you recruit to. Bob Knight and K and Keady and Izzo and Ryan and Matta lecture on this for the main point of their coaching clinic.

Over the years, we've been Frenching and heavy petting with a whole army of frogs.

Look how many frogs our neighbors to the east had to drunkenly kiss before they hit pay dirt. Hey, this is not a clear-cut situation, and people make good cases on both sides of the argument, but the creeping sentiment that alarms me is where people imply that we should be ok with the second division of the conference because it's so hard or so futile to do better that we should give up trying. If there was any logic to that, I might buy in, but it doesn't make any sense at all. It's just laziness, fear and complacency.

What are we known for?

Sadly all true. I still don't think he should be fired after this season. They won last year and were winning at a similar pace this year until the roof fell in.

You can give the same answers often with more emphasis to Thibodeau ...yet they are in the playoff hunt. He has a reputation for coaching defense and yet his team is dreadful on defense.

What are we known for?

Copy that. I agree that it's an issue, and I'm not sure Pitino could even answer that question with a straight face. The one thing I keep coming back to is the fact that they were winning when healthy. They took good care of the basketball, and typically capitalized on fast break opportunities, and their offense didn't have too many extended scoring droughts. I think that they're a pretty fundamental group, but yes I wouldn't say that they have aced any of the categories that you listed.

Do you even know who stepped on the court for UCLA in that game? Or are you so old (considering that you were OBVIOUSLY born prior to 1990, as if that is somehow noteworthy) that your memory is fading you? UCLA didn't play that game at full strength. It's akin to MTSU beating the Gophers without Springs, except even less notable, considering the caliber of talent that was absent for UCLA. Come on, it's funny that you even try to pretend that you're "Proud" of that victory.

What are you even talking about? UCLA was a 6 seed with 25 wins, and they had 7 of their top 8 players healthy. The only player missing was Jordan Adams. Six of those seven UCLA players played in the NBA, and the 7th is currently in the G League. I mean, what are you even trying to argue? The Gophers haven't put a singe player into the league in a long time (and have zero currently), while that UCLA team had SEVEN (SIX who played in the game against the Gophers). This is among the most insanely idiotic narratives that people try to push here. I am absolutely, 100%, PROUD of that victory. Any actual Gopher fan is.

What are you even talking about? UCLA was a 6 seed with 25 wins, and they had 7 of their top 8 players healthy. The only player missing was Jordan Adams. Six of those seven UCLA players played in the NBA, and the 7th is currently in the G League. I mean, what are you even trying to argue? The Gophers haven't put a singe player into the league in a long time (and have zero currently), while that UCLA team had SEVEN (SIX who played in the game against the Gophers). This is among the most insanely idiotic narratives that people try to push here. I am absolutely, 100%, PROUD of that victory. Any actual Gopher fan is.

and aren't you 30 something?

Dear God. If you think it's a fair comparison, then you can't be helped. I'm talking about the starting 5, OBVIOUSLY, and the one or two players in addition to that group.

This team even without Coffey is more talented than the team 2 years ago. Would you agree? And they're performing worse. That's what's scary.

I'm sorry, I just don't get this anymore. Trust me, I'm not a die hard Pitino fan, but it comes down to a few simple things for me:

1. Do you like the potential of next year's roster? If not, then fine, be gone with him. For those of you who seem to think that our current roster will all stick around with a coaching change, you're probably wrong.
2. Do you like our chances with local recruits (next two classes) better with RP or an unknown? If you don't think it matters, be gone RP.
3. Do you believe that last season was an aberration?

My answers:

1. Yes. While not necessarily a Sweet 16 team, I think they can compete for top 4 in conference and a berth in the tourney. Like many of you, I think if they don't show signs of growth and togetherness next season then it's probably time to reconsider.
2. RP. The scales of "it's cool to stay home in MN" have tipped a bit under RP, and I think that he's done a good job. Before Oturu's commitment, he felt like a stretch to be here, Bill Self was recruiting him. Yet we got him. Will we get Hurt, or Suggs? I'd give us a decent chance of landing one with RP, and no chance with a new coach.
3. No, I do not. IF they had stayed fully healthy, I'd like them as a 5 seed or better in this year's tourney. After Curry, I put them on a 7-9 seed. After Lynch, it was completely lost. This is on BK, GD, DF, and ultimately Pitino. However, our front court will be much deeper next season, and we won't have to witness the precipitous drop off as we have each of the past three seasons.

I'd also like to address the comparison of coaching records vs. REAL hope. While RP has the worst overall record, he did land the school it's all time highest win total last season. Again, see my answer to number three to address what could have been this season. ALSO, never at any point in time did I feel the Gophers could make a run in the tourney under Tubby, or Monson. Each of the past two seasons, I thought we had a legitimate chance of advancing, versus anybody. F**K an NCAA win if it comes versus a depleted, overrated, half A**ed UCLA team. F**K an NCAA berth if it comes with a 45% chance of beating your first round opponent. I want REAL NCAA berths. Last year WOULD have been one if Springs hadn't gotten injured two games prior to the tourney. This year WOULD have been one, and then we all know what happened.

I don't know if next year would qualify as a REAL berth, but at least there's a chance.

Who knows, maybe a different coach could do well with next year's roster, and convince them all to stay. But it would have been RP who paved the way on the recruiting trail.

First of all, before I say anything else, I'm a night owl and tend to stay up very late and night and often sleep in way late into the day(only during the winter months), but I can sleep in without having to worry, but you my man, GopherHoopsFan, are here to fight the good fight, :)

Do you do like me, and sometimes make stretches or give too much of a benefit of the doubt to our coach and/or the players? Sure, and I can admit that. But with all of the Pitino haters in this forum who do the opposite, there needs to be balance. There are posters in here who always seem level headed and open minded and rarely take strong stances, are open to seeing points on both sides, etc.. Those posters ALSO bring balance, as they are already balanced in how they think and process things. But there needs to be guys like you and I, who argue strongly in the opposite direction of those who seem to be willing to do or say anything to make the team and/or mostly Pitino look bad.

So just my normally long winded way of saying, thanks, your input is appreciated, at least by me, and keep up the good fight. And know that after you go to bed at night, I'll be here to continue on in your place, lol.

I just can't believe you are doubling and tripling down on the "lower expectations for Pitino" thing.

I don't even know where to begin so I'm not even going to try.

It's just a reality that some coaches are or would be or are expected to be home runs hires, immediate impact hires. Examples would be Tubby Smith at Mn bb, Herb Brooks at SCSU, Lou Holtz at Mn fb, Allister at Mn Softball, the Gophers VB coach, and those are just examples from Gopher sports, or of a Gopher elsewhere. Most of those home run hires panned out or had at least a short term immediate impact while they were here/there. SCSU even renamed their Arena after Brooks, despite his being there just one year. Holtz's impact was less noticeable because he took several of the players that would have otherwise kept playing for Minnesota with him to Notre Dame, with some of those actually being part of why ND went on to win the Natl Title.

Edit - I forgot to include the 2nd part. Other coaches ARE NOT home run hires, and their expectations are lower, and its hoped that given time and patience, they can build something and become successful. Jerry Kill was one of these hires, like Mason before him, he was known to turn programs around and until he left, he had our fb program on a steady upward trajectory, and I think we were more patient with him than for instance, Michigan was with Harbaugh, he was a home run hire and much more was expected of him and despite much greater success than we've had at Minnesota, there is talk of firing him, we'd pee our pants to have what Michigan has had under Harbaugh. J Robinson was possibly one of those hires, he didn't immediately turn the Minnesota Wrestling program around, it took him close to a decade to turn them into perennial contenders. If as many people cared about wrestling back in the early 90s like they care about cbb, Robinson may have been fired the year they got to #1 in the rankings and ended up finishing like #12 or something in the NCAAs? He suffered some serious bad luck as well as 2 of his best wrestlers got injured between the end of the season and the start of the NCAA tourney. But maybe because it was just wrestling? But he was shown patience and that patience paid off. I don't think hiring Brad Frost was a home run hire, at least it didn't look like it at the time of the hire, turns out it was, he was the frog that turned into the Prince maybe? Or maybe ANYONE could coach those gals to titles??? I don't think so. I don't think Mason was a home run hire, although some may have hoped he'd turn out to be, but he was known for turning dumpster fires into competitive programs and that is what he did, but he reached his ceiling and plateaued. A guy outside of Minnesota that I can think of is Gary Pinkel at Missouri, he was given lots of time and patience to build that program up and until all the trouble they had with racism that one season, they were on a steady upward progression. Had it taken that long for Saban to turn Bama into a decent team, he would have gotten fired in 1/5th the time it took for Pinkel to get let go.

And we all know our drunken letch of an AD couldn't find a home run hire, or didn't want the one he could have gotten in Flip, so he went with one whose success, if he had it, he could take tons of credit for.

So we all knew he wasn't a home run hire, from the start. Not sure why this is not understood and acknowledged???

Home run hires have and ALWAYS WILL HAVE, higher expectations of them, at least in their first 2-3 seasons.

Tubby Smith, in comparison to the very FAIR high expectations of his impact here, was basically a bust. Did he put together a good team or two in his time here? Sure, I sure in the frigging heck hope so??? And maybe he also suffered some bad luck, too, that may have lessened the end results that particular season. Sure. But it ended up being pretty apparent that he was let go from UK for good reason.

I've mentioned here before, as have others, that his recruiting was trending downward, and THAT was why he was rightfully let go. And that is definitely true, he was basically putting less and less energy and time into recruiting out of state players. He was basically mailing it in.

But, the more I think about it, that was NOT the only issue I had with Tubby. Some of his coaching decisions were unbelievably BAFFLING. Wasn't it Tubby that would do some sort of hockey line change kind of thing? Taking out whole lineups at the same time or close to it, and it always seemed that he did this when we had momentum and far more often than not, it seemed to allow the other team to stop our momentum and to build their own and to make comebacks. And maybe he felt that once he put the lineup/starters back into the game, they could stop the other teams comeback, and that may have happened a few times, as I guess it should, but I know that I am not the only person who noticed it, because it was other fans complaining about it that helped me to recognize it and to watch for it in future games.

So for his being a supposed future Hall of Famer and his having led a team to a Natl Championship and having led several different teams to the NCAA tourney, and maybe even deep into the tourney, he just DID NOT DELIVER on the promise, the potential, the hope, that most of us seemed to have or see in him when he first got hired.

And the year he had all that bad luck??? I remember him being, for the most part, forgiven for that, and not blamed for the team's BARELY getting into the tourney that year, needing to make a run to the Conf Tourney Title game just to get an #11 seed in the tourney. Were their exceptions to that? Sure, there were Tubby haters who ragged on him and blamed him for the bad luck, just like Pitino haters blame him for this year's bad luck or at least his not being able to overcome it. Yet we still have the B1G tourney to redeem this season, so you never know? But Tubby gets credit for taking that team to the NCAA tourney, despite their BARELY getting in and then not coming close to winning their 1st round game.

And yes, at the time I wanted to believe our win over UCLA was a great win and something to be proud of, and maybe their missing JUST ONE PLAYER shouldn't detract from our beating them, but at the same time there are plenty of Gopher fans that feel our missing JUST ONE PLAYER was why we lost to Michigan and then MTSU last year. So is it fair or right or intelligent to point to our missing player when we lose and then not allow our opposition to do the same???

Is it significant that our ONLY WIN in NCAA tournament play since 1990, came while the other team was down a player???

If I was NOT a Gopher fan, I'd be all over that, and would in fact make a point of pointing that out.

UMn is one of the worst ranked cbb programs in modern college basketball history, and they'd be MUCH WORSE if not for Clem's first crew.

What was Clem's 4 year B1G conf record???

What was Clem's first 3 year conf record??? OMG, that would almost make Pitino's look incredibly good!!!!!

Yet what did those TWO HORRIBLE teams, the 1987 and 1988 teams have, other than possibly the worst 2 year conf record in ALL OF UMN BB HISTORY??????????????

HOPE.

Hope for a much brighter future. And 1989 and 1990 delivered exactly that.

Oh, and it wasn't incredibly amazing conf win/loss records in 89 and 90 that made those years special.

And I point that out because of how OBSESSED some of you seem to be with this whole 5 year conf record BS.

Monson never made me feel true hope like I felt Clem gave us.

Tubby, only made me feel that kind of hope for a year or two, then he felt like just a slight improvement over Monson.

Pitino, in year 3, made me feel like I was experiencing what I had in 1988 again. Young team struggling, mightily, but showing signs of a promising future.

Pitino in year 4, made me feel like I was experiencing what I had in 1989 again. Had Springs not gone down, I could have easily seen them making the Sweet 16.

Pitino in year 5, BEFORE the Curry injury, I felt we were going to have a year similar to 1990, except playing in a weaker B1G than the 1990 version, I thought we'd finish Top 3 in Conf for sure, unlike the 1990 team that finished in 5th I believe? Or was that the 89 team?

But then the ceiling started collapsing in on this year's squad and well, I just don't see how that can be blamed on Pitino directly. Maybe in some degree indirectly, seeing as he did bring in Gaston and Bakary and under the circumstances some of his moves didn't work out too well, but its not as if coaches should know that 3 and a half players are not going to be available to them each year. Who does that? Who passes on bringing in a transfer that has to sit a year assuming 3 and a half players are going to become unavailable to play??? Why aren't all of you geniuses who think its so easy to predict such things out there in the world making big money coaching college basketball???

lol

Maybe because you are not actually cbb coaching geniuses, but in reality are just a bunch of armchair QBs who think WAY TOO highly of their own opinions?

You simply will not admit the absolute horrific job he did by not teaching defense, emphasis on defense and compromising character. More excuses. What would you say in year 5 that identifies the program, the one thing it is known for ? Lock down defense ? Discipline ? Efficient offense. Poised, model student athletes ? Please name one 5 years in because 5 years is a long time to not have anything positive associated with you brand.

OK, I'll be willing to give your whole take on this situation more thought and consideration if you will do me a favor. I want to know what your take on the 1987 & 1988 Gopher Men's Basketball seasons IS, or more preferably, WAS AT THE TIME??

And since one season seems to be counted as a fluke around here, SO, throw in the 1989 season as well.

Clem's first 3 seasons as a Gopher coach. What is your take, what WAS your take or your perspective regarding that team at that time, or up to that time. But just for Ghits and Siggles, lets NOT include the 1989 post season.

So just Clem's first 3 REGULAR seasons, meaning Clem's 15-39 conf record up to that time.

Yeah, 15-39.

What was the team's "identity" up to that point, not AFTER the NCAA Tourney, but going INTO it.

At 15-39 in conf.

I KNOW where I was. I was in Germany getting a hat maker to specially order a Gopher emblem because HE HAD NEVER EVER sold a Gopher hat before, much less had anyone ask for one. He was very surprised to know that they had a good team, or at least according to ME, the only Gopher fan he had ever met. I told him to watch them, to keep an eye out for them, and that they would surprise him.

I left Germany before the 1990 season, so I never saw that man again. But I like to think that he saw how the 89 and 90 teams did in the NCAA tourney and thought of me and that I told him it would happen.

So I know what my mindset about the team at that point was, at 15-39.

15-39.

This team even without Coffey is more talented than the team 2 years ago. Would you agree? And they're performing worse. That's what's scary.

More talented? maybe. But that team had more depth and wasn't dealing with all kinds of random injuries and suspensions, etc.. That team had more continuity of the roster, etc..

Not even close to a fair comparison.

And its "this team even without Coffey..." It's this team without Curry, Lynch, Coffey AND Dupree not practicing and only playing sometimes, and when he is playing, its not at 100%

15-39

Yeah, that was Tubby's conf win/loss record going into the Tourney in 1989.

15-39.

Let that soak in for awhile, for all of you people OBSESSED with pointing out conf w/l records as if they are the final and one and only determiner of a team's future POTENTIAL.

Clem followed up that 15-39 conf record with a Sweet 16 and Elite 8, and with the same players basically.

26-46.

That was the conf w/l record of a team that went to a Sweet 16 AND an Elite 8.

And I was at the game they lost in that Elite 8 matchup, and we were probably the better team in most regards, but they just shot the lights out from behind the 3 point line. Not taking anything away from them, just saying we were EASILY in their league. Our getting to the Sweet 16 the year before might have been in part because of a lucky draw in the 2nd round. But our run to the Elite 8 in 90 was no fluke. It was legit.

78-102?

Clem's conf w/l record at the conclusion of the 1996 season.

lol

That's 10 years in, and just getting ready to deliver us our 1st FF, 2nd E8 or better finish and 3rd S16 or better finish.

Any other coach in history get us to 3 Sweet 16s? 2 Elite 8s, or a FF??

But he was TWENTY-FOUR games below .500 in conf play after 10 years as coach.

Top Bottom