If you’re Coyle, why do u keep Pitino

Minnesota is at the bottom in Basketball, Football and Hockey.

Coyle destroyed the football program. He wanted to get rid of Claeys at any cost.

He terminated the following coaches:

Claeys - Washington State
Johnson - Georgia
Sawvel - Wake Forest

Why are Coyle and Kaler still at the U?

So the future doesn't have the opportunity to dictate otherwise?

If it were that simple it would be lateral imo. What criteria are we deciding on? The conference, the quality of living, the opportunity to be a football power, the salary?
However, at Minnesota he was not just a DB coach. He was the assistant Head Coach. That means he is a heartbeat away from being the head coach at Minnesota. I'd say that is a prestigious position? Is that one of the reasons Warinner left to accept a non-field coaching position? He thought that title should have gone to him? Or does it mean nothing? No prestige, no salary bump, no opportunity?
He does not have the same stature at Texas A&M.

You're arguing two different things. Being VP of a small company making $500 K affords you more stature than being a director at a major company making $600 K, but no one would consider that a "lateral at best" move.

Everything at A&M is better for him than it was here - his pay, his support and resources, his recruiting pool, his boosters, etc., etc., etc. I actually agree with you in theory (that he'd have been better off making concessions in these areas to stay here and have a quicker path to a head coaching job), and I even posted as such in the thread about him taking the A&M job, but by any reasonable measure it is a step up.

First, I'd like to thank all of the posters on GH who are capable of maintaining a level of perspective, as this season continues to go awry. Some of you understand the following things:

- Losing Eric Curry, Reggie Lynch, Amir Coffey, McBrayer (at times, and not full health), and even Nate Mason (for a few), has had a negative impact on the season
- The scholarships of Bakary and Gaston have hamstrung the front court depth. Yes, this is on Pitino, but it's a mistake he made four years ago. His recruiting since then has been far superior to that of any Gopher coach in the past 20 years.
- Last year was a major success, mostly due to incredible player development. Nate, Dupree, Jordan, Reggie. None of these guys were heralded recruits, yet they all thrived under Pitino. Was that a miracle, or can he develop talent?
- He just landed the best in-state recruiting class probably ever. For all of the petty griping that people do on here, he landed your precious in state talent, so seriously, get on board or shut the H*LL up.

I agree that Pitino is not the best coach out there, but he's young, and he can recruit, and all signs point to him being a good player developer (of those who are competent to begin with). Would you naysayers really like to start all over again, with yet another coach who is unproven and/or not that great? Who do you think that we're going to be able to attract to the job? I'll make it easy for you, the answer is some middle of the road guy, or taking a chance on another young unproven coach. That's what we get here, so accept it and make your choice wisely.

I can't guarantee success with Pitino, but I can guarantee failure for at least the next three seasons with a new coach.

Seriously, I hate GH for crappy thoughtless threads like this one. Grow up people.

agreed 100%

Most everyone knows that I am not a fan of Pitino and never have been. I have tried to be supportive because he is the coach of my favorite college basketball team, and I was possibly even willing to concede that I was wrong after last year. I was hopeful that we may have turned a corner. But it was a mirage, and not a trend. Three things seem very evident to me: 1. he is a very good (if not great) recruiter; 2. he is mediocre (at best) in player development and 3. he is horrible in strategy and in-game management. Most anyone can win a ton of games with great talent (I could make the Tournament every year coaching Duke's roster), but the measure of a great coach is how he deals with a suboptimal situation. Pitino has proven time and again that he doesn't have the coaching chops to overcome any significant level of adversity.

If I were Coyle, I would cut bait after this year. He got rid of Claeys even though the on-field product was good, and this seems to be an even more obvious instance of that - AND he didn't even hire Pitino in the first place. The interesting thing to note, though, is that he has hired multiple head football coaches at multiple stops - but I don't believe he has ever hired a head basketball coach. Leon Rice has been at Boise St. since 2010 (more than a year before Coyle arrived) and obviously Boeheim was well-entrenched at Syracuse. My guess is that Pitino stays because Coyle isn't as confident in his basketball acumen and doesn't have a Fleck-type lined up to replace Pitino.

This team has no Leader. it was very evident to me that Springs came in last year and was he Leader from day 1. Mason is not a natural leader and I don't believe they have one on the team. Very hard to get up for a game with all the negativity that has happened, without a leader on the floor. RP(or any coach) cannot do it all from the bench.

Three things seem very evident to me: 1. he is a very good (if not great) recruiter; 2. he is mediocre (at best) in player development and 3. he is horrible in strategy and in-game management. Most anyone can win a ton of games with great talent (I could make the Tournament every year coaching Duke's roster), but the measure of a great coach is how he deals with a suboptimal situation.

Agree fully. He has his philosophies from Florida and Louisville, but he can't adjust them or change to fit the personnel he has here.

We're missing our #1 and #2 centers. How many teams have a 3rd string center that they can truly rely on? Pitino isn't perfect and has made some mistakes, but it's honestly absurd if you think any of what you mentioned is grounds for firing him. We got hit with an insane amount of bad luck this year. If next year's team stays healthy and we miss the tourney, then I will understand wanting him fired. Until then, people need to be more realistic.

Curry is a PF who can be a small ball center. Most teams wouldn't want to play Curry at the 5.

Very debatable position there. I'm a little higher on this class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I can see that but I am trying to understand why. They all have potential to be solid 4 year players but not year 1 contributors.

Curry is a PF who can be a small ball center. Most teams wouldn't want to play Curry at the 5.

I agree Curry is more of a PF, but he can play good minutes at the 5 too and was without a doubt our #2 center in addition to being our #2 PF.

Most everyone knows that I am not a fan of Pitino and never have been. I have tried to be supportive because he is the coach of my favorite college basketball team, and I was possibly even willing to concede that I was wrong after last year. I was hopeful that we may have turned a corner. But it was a mirage, and not a trend. Three things seem very evident to me: 1. he is a very good (if not great) recruiter; 2. he is mediocre (at best) in player development and 3. he is horrible in strategy and in-game management. Most anyone can win a ton of games with great talent (I could make the Tournament every year coaching Duke's roster), but the measure of a great coach is how he deals with a suboptimal situation. Pitino has proven time and again that he doesn't have the coaching chops to overcome any significant level of adversity.

I pretty much agree on all of this. I think he's a bit better at developing players than you're giving credit for, but for every Jordan Murphy and Nate Mason, there is a Bakary Konate, or a Michael Hurt. Whether it's right or wrong, I chalk the development failures of the latter players up to them not being a major part of the plan to begin with. Basically, I think some of those guys are given less focus because they're not expected to contribute much, AND it's become evident that they're not very good to begin with (see BK, GD, DF, and so on). I think he needs to become less knee jerk, and have a more comprehensive plan regarding his roster in the future.

What I very much agree with is your point #3. He has virtually no ability to alter the momentum in a game. Once the game flow starts to skew to the opponent, he almost never recaptures the momentum. That's on coaching. I think he's a bad play/set designer, and he doesn't do a good job at dictating the defensive end of the floor, or adjusting to unexpected defenses by the opponent. Like everyone, I'm not sure how much of this falls on players vs coach, but it's a trend I'm not all too pleased with. However, I believe that he can improve, and I do think positive change will occur when our roster is deeper. It certainly appears as though our roster is poised to be deeper next year, and that helps cure a lot of ailments.

All this being said, I'm not convinced we can do better for the immediate future. I don't see us attracting the next Chris Holtmann, Archie Miller, etc... Therefore, since he can recruit, I think we need to hope that the other facets are picked up along the way. In my reality, the U of M is not an attractive place when it's compared to all of the premier jobs that become available every off season.

Regardless, who isn't sick of being let down every year? Please please please please let 2018-19 be better.

You're arguing two different things. Being VP of a small company making $500 K affords you more stature than being a director at a major company making $600 K, but no one would consider that a "lateral at best" move.

Everything at A&M is better for him than it was here - his pay, his support and resources, his recruiting pool, his boosters, etc., etc., etc. I actually agree with you in theory (that he'd have been better off making concessions in these areas to stay here and have a quicker path to a head coaching job), and I even posted as such in the thread about him taking the A&M job, but by any reasonable measure it is a step up.

I think we pretty much probably agree...Texas A&M is already a football power with support and resources in place. But at Minnesota he was our lead guy, best recruiter nearly for sure, maybe arguably top position coach on the staff. "The man!" The guy we touted. The guy with all the stickers on his helmet. lol But at A&M where he does rank on that staff...at least to start?

Regarding Pitino...I have said all along he is a disaster at managing the roster. I haven't felt we have had top talent...100% no depth...but I thought he has coached the pieces he had well. This year, despite the loss of players I have not liked lots of things he has done coaching wise....more than the past by a wide margin. I was disappointed Mathieu was a shell of himself the second year, for instance. Coaching basketball is hard...I just don't think this is the time to fire him. I know if you have 2 or 3 players and 4 or 5 bodies playing top competition your guys get ground down, you can't adhere to your principles because you'll get demolished. So you compromise to precariously finish the season best you can. And nobody is happy but given the situation it would be easy to be even worse.
What is the outcome going to be when Mason plays bad? We are too limited in available talent to judge performance.

Yes I can see that but I am trying to understand why. They all have potential to be solid 4 year players but not year 1 contributors.

I don't see Pitino redshirting one of the wings in favor of Hurt. The other one will depend on the pg situation. If we bring in a backup pg then not likely to see much time if any but if we don't then I would expect more time since some combo of other players wherther it's mcbrayer, coffee or harris will backup washington leaving backup time in the other position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pretty much agree on all of this. I think he's a bit better at developing players than you're giving credit for, but for every Jordan Murphy and Nate Mason, there is a Bakary Konate, or a Michael Hurt. Whether it's right or wrong, I chalk the development failures of the latter players up to them not being a major part of the plan to begin with. Basically, I think some of those guys are given less focus because they're not expected to contribute much, AND it's become evident that they're not very good to begin with (see BK, GD, DF, and so on). I think he needs to become less knee jerk, and have a more comprehensive plan regarding his roster in the future.

What I very much agree with is your point #3. He has virtually no ability to alter the momentum in a game. Once the game flow starts to skew to the opponent, he almost never recaptures the momentum. That's on coaching. I think he's a bad play/set designer, and he doesn't do a good job at dictating the defensive end of the floor, or adjusting to unexpected defenses by the opponent. Like everyone, I'm not sure how much of this falls on players vs coach, but it's a trend I'm not all too pleased with. However, I believe that he can improve, and I do think positive change will occur when our roster is deeper. It certainly appears as though our roster is poised to be deeper next year, and that helps cure a lot of ailments.

All this being said, I'm not convinced we can do better for the immediate future. I don't see us attracting the next Chris Holtmann, Archie Miller, etc... Therefore, since he can recruit, I think we need to hope that the other facets are picked up along the way. In my reality, the U of M is not an attractive place when it's compared to all of the premier jobs that become available every off season.

Regardless, who isn't sick of being let down every year? Please please please please let 2018-19 be better.

Konate is a good example of development failure (whether that is Pitino's fault or Bakary himself, I don't know), but Hurt is a terrible example. He's only a sophomore and regardless of how good or bad you think he is, he has shown very clear signs of improvement from last year. A player who has already improved and still has over 2 years left isn't an example of a player who hasn't developed.

If I were Coyle, I would cut bait after this year. He got rid of Claeys even though the on-field product was good, and this seems to be an even more obvious instance of that - AND he didn't even hire Pitino in the first place. The interesting thing to note, though, is that he has hired multiple head football coaches at multiple stops - but I don't believe he has ever hired a head basketball coach. Leon Rice has been at Boise St. since 2010 (more than a year before Coyle arrived) and obviously Boeheim was well-entrenched at Syracuse. My guess is that Pitino stays because Coyle isn't as confident in his basketball acumen and doesn't have a Fleck-type lined up to replace Pitino.

I agree with your assessment of Pitino except for perhaps the section in bold. I think Pitino has done well with player development if you look at players like Mo Walker and Jordan Murphy. Now perhaps these improvements have occurred naturally without any input from Pitino, but I think he deserves some credit. Where I would be critical of Pitino is roster management because of the fact we have 4 centers on the roster, 1 suspended, 1 a transfer and 2 are below average big ten players.

I know we disagree on whether Pitino should be fired or not, but I can certainly see the reasons for firing Pitino and I don't think I am there yet. However, if certain aspects continue such as lack of hustle or players continuing to complain to officials and not getting back on defense, that's going to get frustrating if it hasn't already.

This subject is not even worth discussing until the end of NEXT year. That is the earliest a possible change would be made. I too was optimistic after last year, but now it will be 2 out of 3 seasons that among the worst in the history of history for Gopher hoops.

I don't think this group was/is that great. Shouldn't blame this on Pitino - but he needs to go next year if the team isn't around .500 in B1G play or better.

Coffey is not as great as we thought he could be (at least yet). Definitely underachieving at this point - injuries this year aren't helping.

Mason hasn't really built on last year - if anything he's shrunk back a bit. Not even at Melo Trimble senior year level. Not close for 1st team all B1G for nate which is disappointing.

Lynch was a big hit, but really highlighted how weak we were/are on the perimeter. Konate/Murphy should be enough to make you a factor if you have guys who can shoot/run the show outside.

Murphy has been the pick of the bunch. Good foundation for 2018-19 season. He's not a Swanigan or Haas type, so he needs good outside play to take attention off.

This was a team that was overrated (probably a bubble team that made it in the NCAA's as a 8 or lower seed) that got hit by injuries and discipline issues. Naturally spirits are down - but that can happen to anyone. Now is the time to rebound and get some solid momentum going into next year. A few more conference wins and an NIT run would be a nice springboard.

Starting 5 next year:

Washington
McBrayer
Coffey
Murphy
Oturu

I have a really good feeling about next year's incoming class.

As far as in-state recruits, being a little older, I remember in-state recruits with names like Olberding, Landsberger, Mc Hale, Breuer, etc. Not to mention Kevin Lynch, Sam Jacobson, etc. Oh, and a guy named Jim Peterson. You young kids may know him as a TV analyst. he was also the 1st McDonald's All-American player from MN. Are any of the incoming recruits a Mc Donald's All-American?

Look - Oturu may be a really good player. But if this turns out to be one of the best in-state recruiting classes ever, then the Gophers had better win a B1G title and make an NCAA tournament run in the next 4 years.

Again, the incoming players appear to have talent. I'm not arguing that. I'm just suggesting that people might want to keep their expectations within reason. There were people a year ago drooling about what "Jelly" was going to do. going from HS to the B1G is a big jump. It make take 1, 2, or all 3 of the recruits time to become comfortable playing at this level.

My point - if you are counting on true FR to turn the program around, that is a bet I would not make with my own money. Unless at least one of those true FR is a difference-maker in the mold of Tyus Jones, Gary Trent Jr, or Kahlid El-Amin. (some in-state recruits who did not go to MN.....)

And don't forget Joel Prylbilla. Only the Jones brothers and Jalen Suggs are within sniffing distance of his national ranking.

I agree. But that's not where we are. The fact that this year has turned into a repeat of 2 years ago is the issue. One good season out of 5 doesn't cut it. And if we had a top 10 recruiting class coming to save the day, that would be one thing. We don't. You're acknowledging the NCAA's next year is probably a stretch. I agree. And I think there's almost no chance he survives to year 7 in that case. So why drag it out then?

Oh yes, rest assured, I hear ya. I wrote that it's a conundrum, and I'm not even sure if my post was consistent or coherent. There are different ways to slice a decision like this, just as there are different ways to slice and frame Pitino's tenure here. Like I did say and you echoed, are we good with struggling for a Tournament berth in year 7 for the second time in a 7-year tenure? There may be a strategic approach to this situation different from the wait-and-see approach, which may just get us to an equally difficult decision in one to three years.

There are reasonable people on this forum on both sides of this question, as you would expect with a tough situation like this. The people I don't trust are the ones who say it's clear or cut and dried and why are we even having this discussion.

Oh yes, rest assured, I hear ya. I wrote that it's a conundrum, and I'm not even sure if my post was consistent or coherent. There are different ways to slice a decision like this, just as there are different ways to slice and frame Pitino's tenure here. Like I did say and you echoed, are we good with struggling for a Tournament berth in year 7 for the second time in a 7-year tenure? There may be a strategic approach to this situation different from the wait-and-see approach, which may just get us to an equally difficult decision in one to three years.

There are reasonable people on this forum on both sides of this question, as you would expect with a tough situation like this. The people I don't trust are the ones who say it's clear or cut and dried and why are we even having this discussion.

+o4

this, so much this.

Still want to keep him . I think he has recruited talent pretty well minus the bad characters. Every program has misses on talent recruiting but let us not sacrifice character. Player development has also been a solid B. Team development has been a failure as they never established a identity which all great coaches start on day one.

Going to be selfish. I simply don't want another restart. Sat through way too many of them in both football and basketball. There are enough factors that derailed this year so you don't pull the plug. No matter what you think of Coyle, and I'm fine with him, you don't become AD at this level without being very good at playing the game. You don't go to the board of regents just a year later and say, "You know, I really screwed up when I extended Richard last year. I'm going to fire him now and, by the way, do we have 5 million to buy him out?"

Konate is a good example of development failure (whether that is Pitino's fault or Bakary himself, I don't know), but Hurt is a terrible example. He's only a sophomore and regardless of how good or bad you think he is, he has shown very clear signs of improvement from last year. A player who has already improved and still has over 2 years left isn't an example of a player who hasn't developed.

Perhaps. Believe me, I hope you're right, and I'll continue to root for his improvement. He strikes me as being incredibly limited at each end of the floor, but he has two+ seasons to prove me wrong. And yes, Hurt has improved marginally, so that's a far cry from BK.

Mediocre at best in player development is a goofy ass statement from you. Not only is it really difficult to agree with you on that one its very subjective which is something you usually stay clear of.

I would say he also deals with adversity pretty well. Do his players? Maybe not, and that might be what you are getting at. There have been no public blowups or gaffes from Pitino and when hit with the players texting a sex act he acted promptly and followed up with some solid training it appeared. Pitino has been level headed and honest with the media. This whole year he's been trying to manage expectations, even before adversity, by saying we aren't as good as the ranking just because someone said we are.

I cannot disagree with your statement about him lacking in the in game stuff. I remember he had situations where he ran some pretty impressive OoB plays and zone breaker sets in his earlier years but that seems to have gone away. He pulls a nice gimic out every once and a while (think Penn State play to get Harris free for in the beginning of the game) but then has 0 counter after the team takes it away (harris went cold and a non factor the rest of the game).

I like Pitino and could almost be called an appologist. I can't blame anyone for wanting to get rid of him, but I do think it would be a mistake for the U to make another coaching change. They've got a lot of other things to fix, and upsetting the basketball program at this juncture isn't smart IMO. Pitino will have a nice crop of seniors next year, a huge year from Coffey should be expected, Curry back as a sophomore along with Washington and Harris hopefully contributing. Its his most complete class. No tournament or any academic or sexual misconduct next year than you axe him and never look back.

Here's a thought. What if Coyle tells Pitino he needs to made adjustments to his staff? Let Pitino be the 'face' of the program and lead recruiter, but make sure he has an assistant/bench coach who is a really strong X's and O's guy - a guru/mentor type who can handle a lot of the in-game coaching and adjustments. I thought that was what Conroy was supposed to be - but I am not seeing any great improvement in that area.

Either way, I think we all can agree that another year like this one, or worse, and Coyle is going to get backed into a corner.

Here's a thought. What if Coyle tells Pitino he needs to made adjustments to his staff? Let Pitino be the 'face' of the program and lead recruiter, but make sure he has an assistant/bench coach who is a really strong X's and O's guy - a guru/mentor type who can handle a lot of the in-game coaching and adjustments. I thought that was what Conroy was supposed to be - but I am not seeing any great improvement in that area.

Either way, I think we all can agree that another year like this one, or worse, and Coyle is going to get backed into a corner.
How does a snake back into a corner? [emoji216]

Pitino is a good coach and a good recruiter. Gophers run some really nice action on the offensive end at times especially ato plays. Adding a good recruiting class probably will add a grad transfer PG to that class as well to a good core of returners will put the Gophers back in the NCAA tournament next year. Talent and expectations have increased every year that Pitino has been here and that is a good thing. This year everything that could go wrong basically has. Look back at how this team played against Alabama and at Providence when they were as close to fully healthy as they've been all year and think of what this team could've been if not derailed.

First, I'd like to thank all of the posters on GH who are capable of maintaining a level of perspective, as this season continues to go awry. Some of you understand the following things:

- Losing Eric Curry, Reggie Lynch, Amir Coffey, McBrayer (at times, and not full health), and even Nate Mason (for a few), has had a negative impact on the season
- The scholarships of Bakary and Gaston have hamstrung the front court depth. Yes, this is on Pitino, but it's a mistake he made four years ago. His recruiting since then has been far superior to that of any Gopher coach in the past 20 years.
- Last year was a major success, mostly due to incredible player development. Nate, Dupree, Jordan, Reggie. None of these guys were heralded recruits, yet they all thrived under Pitino. Was that a miracle, or can he develop talent?
- He just landed the best in-state recruiting class probably ever. For all of the petty griping that people do on here, he landed your precious in state talent, so seriously, get on board or shut the H*LL up.

I agree that Pitino is not the best coach out there, but he's young, and he can recruit, and all signs point to him being a good player developer (of those who are competent to begin with). Would you naysayers really like to start all over again, with yet another coach who is unproven and/or not that great? Who do you think that we're going to be able to attract to the job? I'll make it easy for you, the answer is some middle of the road guy, or taking a chance on another young unproven coach. That's what we get here, so accept it and make your choice wisely.

I can't guarantee success with Pitino, but I can guarantee failure for at least the next three seasons with a new coach.

Seriously, I hate GH for crappy thoughtless threads like this one. Grow up people.

GREAT POST!!!

Top Bottom