If you’re Coyle, why do u keep Pitino

I have this year's Gopher poster in my office and am looking at Matz Stockman right now. You look at Lynch's arms and even Bakary's (both very muscular) and then look at Matz's, and there's no comparison. It's beyond me how they expect him to play post with that physique. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't know how.

My guess is that he'll be much better on the offensive end than Bakary (yes, I know that is a ridiculously low hurdle). He probably won't hold his ground as well as Bakary but he may be able to secure more rebounds than Bakary if he has better hands and instincts. Obviously, we won't have a center presence close to Lynch but between the two centers next year we may experience fewer moments of sheer awfulness. Of course, Curry played a fair number of center minutes during his freshman year so there's also that possibility.

hypocrite. That is the word that applies, if you did not publicly and outwardly object to the recruitment of Bakary and Gaston, but now try to make it out as if Pitino is the worse coach ever because of his recruitment of those two.

Apparently you are ineducable. The reason why that word doesn't apply has been explained to you. We are all ignorant sometimes so there is no sin in a little ignorance now and then. Willful ignorance, on the other hand, is a disgrace.

Sometimes as a coach and as a recruiter, you take a chance on a prospect, and they don't pan out. it happens. and when it happens, it's fair game to point out. the real issue is that Pitino took a chance on two prospects at the same position in the same year, and neither one panned out. That decision impacted the team's depth, and by extension, the team's performance. It's fair game to point that out.

You can't give the coach credit for moves that work out, and refuse to question the coach for moves that don't work out. Pros and Cons both go on the balance sheet, and then you add up the total at the bottom of the page.

EXACTLY. Great post. Fans who are only willing to discuss the positives are just as obnoxious as fans who are only willing to discuss the negatives.

I don't get what Pitino has done to deserve the Pollyanna treatment by so many around here. History has shown that if you're not consistently making the Tournament and winning games, it's most likely never going to happen.

Yet here we are in Year 5, and we're not even going to make the postseason, let alone the Tournament. Pitino has been recruiting very well, but you can't win consistently if you don't know how to actually coach basketball.

I have this year's Gopher poster in my office and am looking at Matz Stockman right now. You look at Lynch's arms and even Bakary's (both very muscular) and then look at Matz's, and there's no comparison. It's beyond me how they expect him to play post with that physique. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't know how.

There's this thing called the weight room that's part of a $166 million project. I'm guessing between last fall (when that picture was taken) and next season he'll have lifted a weight or 2 and put on some muscle. If he doesn't, there's a bigger issue within the program. That, and next year's minutes will largely go to Murphy, Curry and Oturu (top 50-60ish recruit). I'm guessing the minutes Matz gets will be to give the starters a rest.

There's this thing called the weight room that's part of a $166 million project. I'm guessing between last fall (when that picture was taken) and next season he'll have lifted a weight or 2 and put on some muscle. If he doesn't, there's a bigger issue within the program. That, and next year's minutes will largely go to Murphy, Curry and Oturu (top 50-60ish recruit). I'm guessing the minutes Matz gets will be to give the starters a rest.

...and for that we gave him a two-year scholarship?

EXACTLY. Great post. Fans who are only willing to discuss the positives are just as obnoxious as fans who are only willing to discuss the negatives.

I don't get what Pitino has done to deserve the Pollyanna treatment by so many around here. History has shown that if you're not consistently making the Tournament and winning games, it's most likely never going to happen.

Yet here we are in Year 5, and we're not even going to make the postseason, let alone the Tournament. Pitino has been recruiting very well, but you can't win consistently if you don't know how to actually coach basketball.

How many coaches would win many games when 3 out of your top 6 are out for the season and a fourth has played injured or out some games, I don't care how much depth you have you just are not going to be successful. With next years recruiting class and all things being equal I don't see how it makes any sense to make a change at this point, not Pollyanna but looking at reality.

And Louisville, a school that has been a much better program over the years doesn't have a weight room?

Sometimes it takes a few years to get there, and that's okay. We made it last year as a 5 seed (when he was Big Ten Coach of The Year, in case you forgot) and there's no doubt in my mind that we would have made it this year if it weren't for Curry tearing his ACL, Lynch getting suspended, Amir injuring his shoulder, and Dupree having major issues with his leg. I understand that other teams have injuries, but the sheer quantity that we've had this year and the quality of players that it's happened to is not normal. It has been a very unlucky year. If the team stays relatively healthy next year and we miss the tournament, then I will likely be on the fire Pitino bandwagon, but I don't expect that to happen. I fully expect us to make the tournament next year, and if it weren't for an abnormal amount of bad luck this year, next season would be the third straight year. Pitino hasn't been perfect, but I want what is best for the team and I think our best option is to stick with Pitino and let him prove himself with a healthier roster next year.

Sometimes as a coach and as a recruiter, you take a chance on a prospect, and they don't pan out. it happens. and when it happens, it's fair game to point out. the real issue is that Pitino took a chance on two prospects at the same position in the same year, and neither one panned out. That decision impacted the team's depth, and by extension, the team's performance. It's fair game to point that out.

You can't give the coach credit for moves that work out, and refuse to question the coach for moves that don't work out. Pros and Cons both go on the balance sheet, and then you add up the total at the bottom of the page.

Agreed. It's also fair game to point out the fact that there has been an unreal amount of bad luck this year in terms of injuries and suspensions. Despite some peoples' irrational "no excuses" type attitudes, it's not fair to judge this season as if we had a healthy roster or as if other teams have had the same amount of bad luck. They haven't.

Agreed. It's also fair game to point out the fact that there has been an unreal amount of bad luck this year in terms of injuries and suspensions. Despite some peoples' irrational "no excuses" type attitudes, it's not fair to judge this season as if we had a healthy roster or as if other teams have had the same amount of bad luck. They haven't.

The injuries and excuses are 100% legitimate reasons why the team is losing. So is the bad attitude of the players on the floor, the failure to play defense (effort) and the "meism" of the veteran frontline players who remain on the floor. Mason and McBrayer (when he plays) look like they are looking for their own. That's coaching.

I hope that Konate and Diedhou have been students, because they haven't been athletes. I think that most major college coaches would have run them out of the program at least two years ago and Pitino deserves credit for keeping them. Maybe he needed them for the APR or maybe because it was the right thing to do (a shocking concept in college basketball).

Having said that, I eagerly await their graduation. They may be the worst four year scholarship players that I can remember.

I can't speak on Diedhou, but Bakary is an outstanding human being. He is one of the nicest guys I have ever met when I met him. I met him during a late night in Dinkytown. I have a buddy who took a couple of classes with Bakary and my buddy said the same thing. He is the kind of teamate that would jump in front of a bus for any guy. The cherry on top is that he speaks like 5 languages fluently. That's why I have a lot of respect for RP for not running him off when a lot of coaches would have.

Although I’m frustrated with Pitino I respect him for this aspect too. I’ve met Gaston a couple times and Bakary once and they are really nice and great teammates

I can't speak on Diedhou, but Bakary is an outstanding human being. He is one of the nicest guys I have ever met when I met him. I met him during a late night in Dinkytown. I have a buddy who took a couple of classes with Bakary and my buddy said the same thing. He is the kind of teamate that would jump in front of a bus for any guy. The cherry on top is that he speaks like 5 languages fluently. That's why I have a lot of respect for RP for not running him off when a lot of coaches would have.

That's never been in question. But on a campus of tens of thousands of people, there are thousands of good guys who aren't D1 caliber players. You can't give scholarships to all of them.

...and for that we gave him a two-year scholarship?

200 player minutes a game and 13 scholarships.

Should they each get 15.38 minutes per game?

Some scholarship players are not going to log a lot of minutes. But if they can add valuable minutes, they are worth their scholly.

No one knows what the Stork will bring, but I'm willing to wait to see him on the floor before calling it a waste of a scholly.

200 player minutes a game and 13 scholarships.

Should they each get 15.38 minutes per game?

Some scholarship players are not going to log a lot of minutes. But if they can add valuable minutes, they are worth their scholly.

No one knows what the Stork will bring, but I'm willing to wait to see him on the floor before calling it a waste of a scholly.

OMG, what are you doing? You are being reasonable? You are using your brain? None of that makes sense? Is it not best to get totally overwhelmed by irrational emotions and flip out about sh1t?

Sometimes it takes a few years to get there, and that's okay. We made it last year as a 5 seed (when he was Big Ten Coach of The Year, in case you forgot) and there's no doubt in my mind that we would have made it this year if it weren't for Curry tearing his ACL, Lynch getting suspended, Amir injuring his shoulder, and Dupree having major issues with his leg. I understand that other teams have injuries, but the sheer quantity that we've had this year and the quality of players that it's happened to is not normal. It has been a very unlucky year. If the team stays relatively healthy next year and we miss the tournament, then I will likely be on the fire Pitino bandwagon, but I don't expect that to happen. I fully expect us to make the tournament next year, and if it weren't for an abnormal amount of bad luck this year, next season would be the third straight year. Pitino hasn't been perfect, but I want what is best for the team and I think our best option is to stick with Pitino and let him prove himself with a healthier roster next year.

I love that movie, and so every time I read one of your posts, I actually picture Keyser Soze speaking the words, its awesome!!! Especially since your posts are so sensible and intelligent and reasonable. Thank goodness for fans like you!!!

Top Bottom