***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT IOWA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Not a whole lot that you can do when your two starting guards (Mason and McBrayer) combine for 4-21 shooting. That's unacceptable from two of the teams leaders.
And a bunch of Mason's shots were both poor choices and nowhere near going in.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Don't worry everyone. When we have the superior talent we can win some of those games. We will of course lose any games where we don't, but such is the lot of having little richie as the coach.

Don't worry everyone. When we have the superior talent we can win some of those games. We will of course lose any games where we don't, but such is the lot of having little richie as the coach.

Yep. With the exception of a few games in year 1, he out-coaches no one. That might not be deadly at Louisville. It is at MN.

Not a whole lot that you can do when your two starting guards (Mason and McBrayer) combine for 4-21 shooting. That's unacceptable from two of the teams leaders.

Yes it’s bad but it doesn’t matter. The Gophers are a bad basketball team regardless how Mason & McBrayer shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When did Rutgers colors become black and gold? Wait? This isn't 2016? Team sure play a like it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Probably because the people still watching the games avoid Gopherhole because the community is toxic. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We don't get local ratings with BTN, but given that Wolves, Wild and State of the Union were on, I'd be shocked if more than a few thousand people in MN were watching this game.

Yes it’s bad but it doesn’t matter. The Gophers are a bad basketball team regardless how Mason & McBrayer shoot.

This is also, unfortunately, true.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

If you’re Mark Coyle, why would you want to keep Pitino around? All the hype for this season and as pointed out earlier in this thread, hardly anyone cares and it’s not even February yet.

Wow, I was wondering the number as it was very ugly. They kept jacking threes. I would rather see more of IW and Harris if this is how it’s going to be.
The one play that made me the most disappointed in the coaching was when the Gophers had to inbound with 3 seconds left on the shot clock and didn’t have a set inbounds play to run.

If you’re Mark Coyle, why would you want to keep Pitino around? All the hype for this season and as pointed out earlier in this thread, hardly anyone cares and it’s not even February yet.

That and he kinda sorta brought an alleged predator onto the team.

The buyout is a lot. But losing 4-5K season tickets next year will cost a lot too. There will be almost no interest in this team next year if he's back.

Wow, I was wondering the number as it was very ugly. They kept jacking threes. I would rather see more of IW and Harris if this is how it’s going to be.
The one play that made me the most disappointed in the coaching was when the Gophers had to inbound with 3 seconds left on the shot clock and didn’t have a set inbounds play to run.

Yep, and just a couple minutes earlier IA actually ran an inbound play under their own basket for a lay in.

Of course some things beyond Pitino control but effort and toughness he can control. This has gone way too far off the rails.

Not keeping him past this year has to be an option at this point?

At least it feels that way.

The buyout is a lot. But losing 4-5K season tickets next year will cost a lot too. There will be almost no interest in this team next year if he's back.
Eff it. Do it, quit making fans suffer.

Mason has been my biggest disappointment this year. While the stats are fine, his head has been elsewhere. The ejection, the technicals, arguing calls that result in baskets because he’s not getting back on D.... Pitino gives him way too much leeway. That’s not the example that should be set by your senior.

I had to turn off the game. I know we have starters who are injured or ineligible, but it's just disappointing to see how unathletic and poor our second unit is. Combine poor offense with a porous defense and you get a 14 point loss to a bad Iowa team. Like 2016, we are watching the worst B1G team play at UMN and there is nothing that can be done except to wish the season to mercifully end and put this team out of its misery.
I'm tired of watching 20 years of utter futility in basketball teamed with 50 years of utter futility in football. It's insanity to watch the same crap and expect different results. Uggh

Give up 90 to one of the worst teams in the conference but hey we score a lot so at least i was not bored.

Incredibly disappointed with Pitino in this game (and really in this season in general. You had a week to prepare for a terrible Iowa team. You gave up 90 points to a team that has nobody that can beat you off the dribble. Literally the only way they lose this game is if they don't guard the 3 AND get in to a shootout because Iowa can't guard anybody. I am not even that encouraged by the games from Fitzgerald and Washington because Iowa is simply that inept on the defensive end of the court. If you simply bet against Minnesota (point spread not even money line!) since Lynch went out you would be 7-1! They have played maybe 2 acceptable games (@Penn State, @Maryland) where you could say that they gave everything they had in that 8 game span.

Probably the most disappointing sequence of the game tonight for me was the Senior Point Guard forcing a shot with the Gophers down 4 or 5 (he did get fouled) turning and looking for the foul, then jogging back and watching his guy Bohanon hit a 3 for a 5 point swing. There was almost an identical situation just last week in the Northwestern game at home also in the second half with the game in the balance. That speaks poorly of the player, but it also says a lot about the coach that the same guy has had situations all year long where his effort was atrocious and it hasn't been corrected.

I'm not going to say they should win this game with their depleted roster, but let's just say it was a winnable game considering Iowa isn't very good. To me it felt like they lost this game at the same juncture they've lost several games this year: the last few minutes of the first half, when they got sloppy with both defense and ball security. They must either consciously or unconsciously think they can take stretches of games off. Even the good teams - or maybe especially the good teams - don't do that.

If we lose to Iowa at home, they should just forfeit the rest of the season and send Richard on his way.

If you draft a petition calling for that, I'll certainly sign it.

Even though I think Pitino will be back next year, and for the most part am fine should it be that way, I am disappointed with many aspects of how this season has spiraled out of control and I think next year is a major 'Win or Else' season for him.

His buyout is north of $5 million. He's not going anywhere. You had 8 scholarship players available tonight, and it's really 7 with McBrayer basically playing on one leg. He's slow to close out on shooters and can't explode driving the line, no lift on that left leg.

There isn't a coach in college basketball who could win consistently with this situation. The season ended when Lynch was suspended and Coffey went out. You can't win games with 3 starters out and virtually half the team not practicing due to injury. You can only watch so much film, they can't apply much to practice because guys are dinged up and need to rest.

Not having Coffey tonight was killer with his length on both ends of the floor. It changed everything.

Nate Mason was horrible tonight. Complained about contact in the lane and didn't get back on defense, and his shot selection was awful. He had at least 2 threes that airballed to the side of the rim, not sure I've ever seen that before. BK not being able to corral a rebound, which led to a Bohannon 3, was the back-breaker. It got back up above double digits after that and we could never recover.

Nice to see Jelly and Fitzgerald step up tonight, but this team needs Mason at his best to have any shot to win.

Remember, next year the front-court is Murphy, Curry, Oturu, Stockman and Jarvis assuming everyone stays healthy. That's a hell of a lot more depth than we've had in a long time.

His buyout is north of $5 million. He's not going anywhere. You had 8 scholarship players available tonight, and it's really 7 with McBrayer basically playing on one leg. He's slow to close out on shooters and can't explode driving the line, no lift on that left leg.

There isn't a coach in college basketball who could win consistently with this situation. The season ended when Lynch was suspended and Coffey went out. You can't win games with 3 starters out and virtually half the team not practicing due to injury. You can only watch so much film, they can't apply much to practice because guys are dinged up and need to rest.

Not having Coffey tonight was killer with his length on both ends of the floor. It changed everything.

Nate Mason was horrible tonight. Complained about contact in the lane and didn't get back on defense, and his shot selection was awful. He had at least 2 threes that airballed to the side of the rim, not sure I've ever seen that before. BK not being able to corral a rebound, which led to a Bohannon 3, was the back-breaker. It got back up above double digits after that and we could never recover.

Nice to see Jelly and Fitzgerald step up tonight, but this team needs Mason at his best to have any shot to win.

Remember, next year the front-court is Murphy, Curry, Oturu, Stockman and Jarvis assuming everyone stays healthy. That's a hell of a lot more depth than we've had in a long time.

This is a rather impressive write up. With the incoming classes I am feeling good about the program and Pitino. Develop these young players rest of season and pray for the higher end recruits to produce. That’s all we can do as Gopher fans.

"We're going to win the Big Ten championship and we're going to take the Gopher Nation to Pasadena. That's my dream, that's my goal and that's my belief. It will happen here sooner rather than later." -- Tim Brewster

This is just embarrassing.

Gopher men's basketball is now 4-11 over the past 5 years against the school's two biggest rivals.
But I suppose that's better than the football team's 1-9 record.

Maybe it's just because his horrible play in most other games has clouded my judgment, but I still didn't think Washington was that good tonight. He was better than Mason, who has clearly given up, but I still didn't think he was very good. 15 points on 15 shots is not an impressive stat line.

Maybe maybe not on who could win consistently . But few would have their team defend so poorly so often.

Duke played their starters for the entire second half against a very tough Virginia team, the Gophers could play 7 guys against a charmin soft Iowa team and be completely fine. The same group of guys that played tonight for Minnesota defeated a much better Penn State team and had a whole week to prepare for this Iowa team. The Gophers let this Iowa team score it' B1G high of the season when you exclude the 104 they put up in OT at Illinois. In their 8 B1G losses, Iowa has only been competitve in 1 of them (@PSU, they only lost by 7 to Michigan but were down by 17 with 4 minutes left). This team also lost to South Dakota State and Louisiana in non-conference play. Not only do you lose to this team which would be unacceptable, but you do so without leading in the second half? Pathetic.

Nobody is asking Pitino to win consistently with this group. He had plenty to win the home games against Indiana and Northwestern and plenty to win tonight. There's a huge gap between a tournament team and being completely inept which the Gophers have become since Lynch was removed from the team. Just be competent. Win the games where you still have the advantage, don't get beat by more than any Gopher team in most of our lifetimes at home against Purdue, don't get outscored 50-20 or whatever by tOSU after taking a 20-10 lead, don't obviously flat out quit on the floor like they did at Northwestern. None of this can be explained away by losing a couple of players when the Big Ten is this down. It's just not acceptable to fall to the absolute bottom of the conference with the talent you still have on the floor.

No one expected a ton of wins after losing Lynch and Coffey. But I certainly expected more competitive showings than we've seen. There's no excuse for getting run by double digits every game, especially by a bad Iowa team.

Maybe it's just because his horrible play in most other games has clouded my judgment, but I still didn't think Washington was that good tonight. He was better than Mason, who has clearly given up, but I still didn't think he was very good. 15 points on 15 shots is not an impressive stat line.
Well, if you take out the 5 missed 3 pointers then he would have shot 6 for 10 in the game. Silver lining? 7 assists, 1 turnover is pretty good.

I say play him more. Season is a bust anyway.

Top Bottom