Pitino addresses issue of players arguing calls with officials

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Good, glad to see that he agreed this was a issue. Coffey and Mason had some blatant examples of this in that game.

Good, glad to see that he agreed this was a issue. Coffey and Mason had some blatant examples of this in that game.

Agreed. But that's a bit on Pitino. That officiating was so bad, he really should have gotten himself a T there. If there was ever a game that warranted it, that was it.

Agreed. But that's a bit on Pitino. That officiating was so bad, he really should have gotten himself a T there. If there was ever a game that warranted it, that was it.
Indeed.
The B1G officiating has been abysmal this season.

Not sure about Mason (could be right), but I have definitively seen Coffey get all worked up about the refs no calls every game he's been in.

Not sure about Mason (could be right), but I have definitively seen Coffey get all worked up about the refs no calls every game he's been in.

Dude appears to get hammered almost every time he goes to the rack. Part of it is his unconventional offensive game, part of it is he's getting hammered.

The problem is the B1G refs, in all sports, are so awful because they rely heavily on replay for the right call. I think this year's Sun Bowl was the tipping point for me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Very true, I am actually suprised he never did. Usally he has no issue standing up for his players. Maybe the Northwestern game was some kind of backdoor message from the B10 after he publicly called out the ridiculous schedule that has been made up this season.

per Marcus:

BLAMING OFFICIALS – Among the reasons the Gophers have failed to live up to expectations this season are injuries and off-court issues. Somewhere on that list is probably getting robbed in a few games by poor officiating if players could speak honestly. A few moments during Tuesday’s 77-69 loss to Northwestern were an example of how the Gophers let their frustration with some missed calls affect their play. In the second half, Amir Coffey was pushed on a drive to the basket and collided with another Northwestern player. No call. Coffey was so upset that he shoved Aaron Falzon in the back on the ensuing possession and whistled for a flagrant foul. Richard Pitino ran onto the floor to calm Coffey down to keep him from picking up another technical foul (like Nate Mason did getting ejected against Alabama earlier this season). Later in the game, Mason was shoved on a layup attempt that was ignored by the officials. He jawed at the referee near the play instead of getting back on defense, resulting in a Bryant McIntosh basket. Jordan Murphy gets an arm bar in his back and pushed by opposing defenses on every post up down low, which gets mostly unnoticed. If anyone had reason to gripe it was Jamir Harris after being slapped in the face on a layup in transition in the first half with no foul called. But Pitino told his team after the game that none of them were in the NBA and needed to stop talking to the refs. He said officials might be labeling certain Gophers players as trying too hard to get foul calls instead of trying to make the shot. They won't get those calls. Pitino knows he would get disciplined by the Big Ten if he criticized officials, so he avoids saying how he really feels. It’s obvious some opponents are getting away with a lot of physical play and hacking against the Gophers, but Pitino wanst them to play through it.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...s-from-officials-affect-their-game/471824763/

Go Gophers!!

It's a chicken or the egg situation: Do the Gophers not get the benefit of home court because they lose (a LOSING record at HOME under Pitino in conference games) or Do the Gophers lose at home because they don't get the traditional home court calls?

Tonight was another example. The kid from Iowa shoves Dupree and there is not flagrant 1. Literally the only difference between that play and Amir's play was that Amir pushed the guy in the back and this kid pushed Dupree in the chest/neck. I had zero issue with the flagrant that was called on Amir and thought it showed a stunning lack of awareness of time and score, but if that's a flagrant then this one should have been too. Tonight you also had Murphy get called for an absolutely phantom foul on an "and 1" and a lot of contact on the other end of the floor go uncalled. The Gophers were on the road, so I expect them to get jobbed a bit, but only if they get the favorable whistle at home. Yet another example was the Dupree "offensive foul" late in the home game against Northwestern. Nobody can convince me that gets called against the home team at the majority of the conference arenas .

FWIW, I was driving back from a HS game Tuesday night, and could not pick up the Gophers radio network, but I did pick up an Iowa station carrying the Iowa Radio Network.

to summarize - the Hawkeyes got jobbed by the refs and the Gophers got all the breaks. The refs missed blatant travelling violations and did not call obvious fouls on the Gophers.

A couple of other things that stood out: every time McBrayer tried to drive to the hoop, the Iowa announcers said "McBrayer is out of control again."

They also mis-pronounced a few names: "Du-Pray" Mc Brayer, and Bakary "Con-are-tay" were two I caught.

Anyway, bad officiating is in the eye of the beholder.

Dude appears to get hammered almost every time he goes to the rack. Part of it is his unconventional offensive game, part of it is he's getting hammered.

In part because all the extra moves he does to avoid contact while going up... If he would just go up strong he would probably get more calls.

I first noticed it in the tip-off scrimmage, he about lost his mind because the refs weren't calling fouls when he went up. Actually went to the bench and made a (minor) scene about it to Ben Johnson and team... Jarvis was cracking up about how upset he was.

Players play & coaches coach, just let the refs do their job and keep focused on what you need to do.

FWIW, I was driving back from a HS game Tuesday night, and could not pick up the Gophers radio network, but I did pick up an Iowa station carrying the Iowa Radio Network.

to summarize - the Hawkeyes got jobbed by the refs and the Gophers got all the breaks. The refs missed blatant travelling violations and did not call obvious fouls on the Gophers.

A couple of other things that stood out: every time McBrayer tried to drive to the hoop, the Iowa announcers said "McBrayer is out of control again."

They also mis-pronounced a few names: "Du-Pray" Mc Brayer, and Bakary "Con-are-tay" were two I caught.

Anyway, bad officiating is in the eye of the beholder.

There were a couple of travels that could have been called against the Gophers, true.

Top Bottom