Shama: Jim Carter says that Mike Sherels has an offer to coach LBs at Wake Forest

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Former Gopher football captain Jim Carter said his friend Mike Sherels, the ex-University of Minnesota assistant coach under Jerry Kill and Tracy Claeys, has received an offer to join the Wake Forest staff as linebackers coach, and that Wisconsin also has interest in Sherels. Jay Sawvel, who worked with Sherels at Minnesota, is the defensive coordinator at Wake Forest. Popular with players and others associated with the Gophers, Sherels was a successful coach and recruiter who worked the states of Minnesota and Florida during his time at Minnesota.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

If his health lets him get back into coaching, I hope it is here. What ever he does, best of luck to him.

If his health lets him get back into coaching, I hope it is here. What ever he does, best of luck to him.

Great!! Now we just need a Gopherhole panel to determine if he’s healthy enough because that’s how it’s done here.

Per Shama: Per Jim Carter:

What a great way to start out a blurb.

Seriously though. Hope Sherels can seriously get back into coaching at the D1 level. He certainly has shown he can do it.

I hope he is able to do it.

If I were him, I would take it. Wake Forest was pretty damn fun to watch this year.

Mike Sherels is a good football coach and recruiter. I hope he is healthy enough to take the Wake Forest job, he was a good promoter of the U of M always has been.

I can't picture him anywhere else but here.

I'm with you #2. That would stink to not have him here. If he's healthy enough to resume he should be here. Would be a fantastic edition to the staff.

Hell yeah Mike!

Yeah, Wake was fun to watch this year. Savwel is gonna be around the game for a while...and probably keep getting better

It’s interesting to contrast the different posts about Sherels vs Jerry Kill. Both have lifelong conditions that could cause things to go south very, very quickly. Both are driven and great coaches.

I hope Sherels has great success and is able to stay healthy. Prove everyone (and PJ) wrong.

Not really sure what Sherels has to prove to Fleck. He's coached and recruited very successfully at the B1G level longer than most of his staff. Longer than Fleck. He likely has relationships around the state that will take Fleck's entire staff combined years to develop.

It would be pretty hard to convince me that this has anything to do with football, or Sherels' abilities. If it's not his health keeping him away, which it very well may be, it's likely an Admin (president/AD) or Coach decision to keep him out of the program. Maybe for appearances (how can you "change culture and retain a key member of the old regime?). Maybe Fleck is worried about schisms in the locker room by having that reminder around. Why else ignore such a large asset? Especially to the tune of possibly letting him walk to Wisconsin, which would be a nightmare.

"... Maybe Fleck is worried about schisms in the locker room by having that reminder around. Why else ignore such a large asset? Especially to the tune of possibly letting him walk to Wisconsin, which would be a nightmare..."[/QUOTE from Heracles]

Well, if that's the case, Fleck is in way over his head IF Fleck's head works that way...But, maybe Fleck is a hard guy to coach for and to coach with. Something about his culture? Something about Sherels? Something about the two that left after year zero here? Good luck to Coach Sherels. He is all about Minnesota. But, I am sure that what ever he is all about could transfer to another program...IF that other program really WANTS him. Who knows what's up here? Time will tell, I guess.

Even if Wisconsin was interested, I don't think Sherels would accept the offer. Too loyal to the gophers to do that.

Even if Wisconsin was interested, I don't think Sherels would accept the offer. Too loyal to the gophers to do that.

If in his mind he is healthy and excited to coach and has medical clearance to do so...passion fuels scorn...if Wisconsin is his best offer...he would accept imo. But, just too many facts we don't know the answer to, to evaluate the outcome.

My understanding is that, the biggest issue with Mike Sherels health, is the time it takes to get proper nutrition vs the time demands of a college coach. Getting nutrition from a bag is time consuming and works best with a regular schedule.

I wonder if it has more to do with the boycott and situation the players were in. Maybe Coyle wanted the whole house cleaned of coaches and move on. Fleck is the HC and can do it his way. It's his career on the line at all turns.

1. Sherels and Carter are likely not friends. I've been to several events with both and their interaction together has been virtually 0. Interesting, since both played LB.

2. Rest of story is then not true.

1. Sherels and Carter are likely not friends. I've been to several events with both and their interaction together has been virtually 0. Interesting, since both played LB.

2. Rest of story is then not true.

Right - because Carter couldn't have heard it from Sawvel, or Claeys, or Kill, or...

"... Maybe Fleck is worried about schisms in the locker room by having that reminder around. Why else ignore such a large asset? Especially to the tune of possibly letting him walk to Wisconsin, which would be a nightmare..."[/QUOTE from Heracles]

Well, if that's the case, Fleck is in way over his head IF Fleck's head works that way...But, maybe Fleck is a hard guy to coach for and to coach with. Something about his culture? Something about Sherels? Something about the two that left after year zero here? Good luck to Coach Sherels. He is all about Minnesota. But, I am sure that what ever he is all about could transfer to another program...IF that other program really WANTS him. Who knows what's up here? Time will tell, I guess.

It really isn’t that difficult; without being asked it was reported that Sherels proclaimed all the “wrong” things done by the previous staff and how to improved the “culture” to Fleck in an effort to land a job on his staff when he first took over.

If that is indeed what what happened, it brings up questions of loyalty and why would you want someone without it on your staff....again if it’s true. Factor in that you never hire someone you can’t fire (chronic health issues) and I can see why Fleck wouldn’t be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really isn’t that difficult; without being asked it was reported that Sherels proclaimed all the “wrong” things done by the previous staff and how to improved the “culture” to Fleck in an effort to land a job on his staff when he first took over.

If that is indeed what what happened, it brings up questions of loyalty and why would you want someone without it on your staff....again if it’s true. Factor in that you never hire someone you can’t fire (chronic health issues) and I can see why Fleck wouldn’t be interested.

Again, as you say: ...if it's true..." that could be some sort of factor. Of course, it could also be: "...heard it through the grapevine...: repeats of sour grapes expressions or inexpensive/inaccurate reporting of hand-me down stories( what sometimes is referred to as cheap-shotting.) Or, it could most certainly be the honest to God truth, I suppose and perhaps all the people who rather admire Mr. Sherels might just be blindly loyal to him. Who knows? Time will tell, I suppose.

Well, the Big Ten W/L percentage will be a bit more accurate once year zero plus one has been put in the books. Just as with Dick Pitino, the Big Ten winning percentage will tell us how coach Fleck is faring in this Big Ten Western Division. He rightly calls all the shots. He rightly will get ALL the credit for what he does do or does not do with this program...how the linebackers fare. Time will certainly tell. In the meanwhile: good luck to Mr. Sherels. Culture is a funny and sometimes sticky business...

Again, as you say: ...if it's true..." that could be some sort of factor. Of course, it could also be: "...heard it through the grapevine...: repeats of sour grapes expressions or inexpensive/inaccurate reporting of hand-me down stories( what sometimes is referred to as cheap-shotting.) Or, it could most certainly be the honest to God truth, I suppose and perhaps all the people who rather admire Mr. Sherels might just be blindly loyal to him. Who knows? Time will tell, I suppose.

Well, the Big Ten W/L percentage will be a bit more accurate once year zero plus one has been put in the books. Just as with Dick Pitino, the Big Ten winning percentage will tell us how coach Fleck is faring in this Big Ten Western Division. He rightly calls all the shots. He rightly will get ALL the credit for what he does do or does not do with this program...how the linebackers fare. Time will certainly tell. In the meanwhile: good luck to Mr. Sherels. Culture is a funny and sometimes sticky business...

And to further the great and fair points you made IF it’s true. I will say however that Fleck make a tremendous mistake in not keeping Sawtell.

Why on earth does Shama keep quoting this looney bird?

Why on earth does Shama keep quoting this looney bird?

Apparently not ALL people have the omnipotent vantage point that you fancy yourself being blessed with. Perhaps some folks actually enjoy reading what a GOPHER great has to say and thinks about the current scene around the University of Minnesota Football Program. I realize that may be a radical thought to some here...but...it MAY be a possibility. ; 0 )

Apparently not ALL people have the omnipotent vantage point that you fancy yourself being blessed with. Perhaps some folks actually enjoy reading what a GOPHER great has to say and thinks about the current scene around the University of Minnesota Football Program. I realize that may be a radical thought to some here...but...it MAY be a possibility. ; 0 )

LOL. Regardless of his past, Carter is a looney bird. Not sure how anyone could take him serious at this point.

I duno man, Carter has time and again proven to be a dork when it comes to public statements...

I duno man, Carter has time and again proven to be a dork when it comes to public statements...

Just because he doesn't face plant, fall on his knees and genuflect every time the administrators of the U come up with some of their less than good...less than smart...plans that have resulted in the program becoming a "graveyard of football coaches" that the administrators have overseen during the past half-century? GOOD for Jim Carter for speaking his mind. Some may actually feel the public needs to be made aware of some of the chaos, snafus and less than season ticket holder friendly actions of the administrators at the U of M over the past half century. THAT is why I believe only what the Big Ten Winning percentage of the football program tells me about the administrators who run the football program and their levels of competency would tell me. Too often under .400 winning percentage in Big Ten play means the administrators running the show have been less than .400 level administrators as compared to the other Big Ten Administrators during that same half century. Just another way to analyze the whole story. Big Ten football games are NOT played only on the Big Ten football fields on Game Day Saturday. Big Ten University administrators NEVER rest and never stop totally running their football programs. They hire...they fire...they extend...they buy out...and they do EXACTLY what they want to do. Jim Carter was a REAL contributor on the LAST Minnesota Big Ten Championship Football Team...51 years ago. Regardless of who agrees or disagrees with him, Jim Carter has every right to say what he thinks. It is GOOD that he does say what he thinks...I think.

Just because he doesn't face plant, fall on his knees and genuflect every time the administrators of the U come up with some of their less than good...less than smart...plans that have resulted in the program becoming a "graveyard of football coaches" that the administrators have overseen during the past half-century? GOOD for Jim Carter for speaking his mind. Some may actually feel the public needs to be made aware of some of the chaos, snafus and less than season ticket holder friendly actions of the administrators at the U of M over the past half century. THAT is why I believe only what the Big Ten Winning percentage of the football program tells me about the administrators who run the football program and their levels of competency would tell me. Too often under .400 winning percentage in Big Ten play means the administrators running the show have been less than .400 level administrators as compared to the other Big Ten Administrators during that same half century. Just another way to analyze the whole story. Big Ten football games are NOT played only on the Big Ten football fields on Game Day Saturday. Big Ten University administrators NEVER rest and never stop totally running their football programs. They hire...they fire...they extend...they buy out...and they do EXACTLY what they want to do. Jim Carter was a REAL contributor on the LAST Minnesota Big Ten Championship Football Team...51 years ago. Regardless of who agrees or disagrees with him, Jim Carter has every right to say what he thinks. It is GOOD that he does say what he thinks...I think.

...and Spoofin (and just about everyone else) has a right to think he's a looney bird.

...and Spoofin (and just about everyone else) has a right to think he's a looney bird.

I whole heartedly agree! And, when spoofin (and just about everyone else) say their piece, they totally invite others to add their individual points of view. It's a BEAUTIFUL thing....

Top Bottom