College Football Recruiting Insight in 2018 - 7 on 7 Leagues vs High School Coaches

I know some teams in SW MN send kids to 7-on-7 camps. Not sure about leagues.

I do know that it gets tough for kids who are multi-sport athletes. I've known kids who spend the summer juggling Legion Baseball, AAU or summer-league basketball, and Football camps and clinics.

That is part of what is pushing the trend toward specialization. there was a deal a few years ago where a local FB coach was telling his kids, "don't play legion baseball" because he wanted them free for camps and clinics. Did not go down well with the baseball coaches.

A good AD would have fired that coach.

We played in a 7 on 7 summer league back in the late 90's. A lot of times we would do a doubleheader with the passing league and a summer basketball league game.

7 on 7 League not as popular in Minnesota because fewer Minnesota families are willing to pay thousands of dollars just because some salesman says they can be a d1 football prospect.

The number is on the rise though.
7 on 7 leagues this article is talking about isn’t you and the neighboring school getting together 4 nights over the summer.

7 on 7 League not as popular in Minnesota because fewer Minnesota families are willing to pay thousands of dollars just because some salesman says they can be a d1 football prospect.

The number is on the rise though.
7 on 7 leagues this article is talking about isn’t you and the neighboring school getting together 4 nights over the summer.

Disagree with your first point about people not willing to spend the money...they certainly do in basketball in Minnesota. The D1 kids are publicized but lots of Minnesota kids get D2 scholarships from college coaches watching them play in the summer. There are also plenty of parents who are delusional about the ability of their kid, costs be damned. That's the problem, they spend the money so they feel entitled to a scholarship or at the very least they feel it validates their kid to contribute in a bigger manner to their high school team as a result.

Correct regarding local informal leagues: so, like the Howard Pulley program is to "AAU" basketball in Minnesota...this level of competition does not exist in Minnesota for football? I'm talking programs where kids travel to tournaments around the country to compete and be seen by coaches like in basketball.

This puts Minnesota at a disadvantage in recruiting and developing players compared to states who are taking advantage. I'm sure it's not just in Texas and California.

There is a 7on7 league starting in MN. As 60's guy is stating parents are spending money. It just happens to be on soccer, wrestling, and basketball not football. Money is there to be had if football can steal market share from those sports. I think it is just a really large hill to climb.

Top Bottom