STrib: Gophers' Amir Coffey not cleared to play yet for Tuesday's game at Iowa

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Gophers sophomore guard Amir Coffey isn’t cleared yet to play Tuesday at Iowa after tweaking his previously injured right shoulder last week against Northwestern.

Minnesota coach Richard Pitino said Monday that Coffey isn’t practicing and is day-to-day. The 6-foot-8 Hopkins native played the last two games after being out for a five-game stretch with the shoulder injury.

Coffey had 15 points, five turnovers and four rebounds in 32 minutes before fouling out in last Tuesday’s 77-69 loss against Northwestern at home. He tweaked his shoulder on a dunk that brought the Gophers within 66-63 with 4:15 left in the second half.

“I don’t want to say re-injured it without knowing the specifics of what exactly it is,” Pitino said. “But you could tell that hurt him a little bit. So we go day-to-day with all this stuff … there’s a protocol with what you do. You never want to rush guys back. You want to make sure they’re 100 percent. We’ll continue to do that and see where it goes.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...lay-yet-for-tuesday-s-game-at-iowa/471665623/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

Gophers sophomore guard Amir Coffey isn’t cleared yet to play Tuesday at Iowa after tweaking his previously injured right shoulder last week against Northwestern.

Minnesota coach Richard Pitino said Monday that Coffey isn’t practicing and is day-to-day. The 6-foot-8 Hopkins native played the last two games after being out for a five-game stretch with the shoulder injury.

Coffey had 15 points, five turnovers and four rebounds in 32 minutes before fouling out in last Tuesday’s 77-69 loss against Northwestern at home. He tweaked his shoulder on a dunk that brought the Gophers within 66-63 with 4:15 left in the second half.

“I don’t want to say re-injured it without knowing the specifics of what exactly it is,” Pitino said. “But you could tell that hurt him a little bit. So we go day-to-day with all this stuff … there’s a protocol with what you do. You never want to rush guys back. You want to make sure they’re 100 percent. We’ll continue to do that and see where it goes.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...lay-yet-for-tuesday-s-game-at-iowa/471665623/

Go Gophers!!

Not really sure that is 100 percent true.

per Marcus:

Go Gophers!!

He was absolutely rushed back. That or the diagnosis that was reported publicly was incorrect.

I'm not saying I have a problem with a guy playing at less than 100%. If Coffey is 80% and isn't risking serious injury I'm fine if he plays. Him at 80% is probably better than other guys on our team at 100%.

But let's not pretend like he wasn't rushed back.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

He was absolutely rushed back. That or the diagnosis that was reported publicly was incorrect.

I'm not saying I have a problem with a guy playing at less than 100%. If Coffey is 80% and isn't risking serious injury I'm fine if he plays. Him at 80% is probably better than other guys on our team at 100%.

But let's not pretend like he wasn't rushed back.

My educated take is that they know he's going to need a surgical repair in the off season, so anything that doesn't cause irreparable injury is fair game. And I'll give the staff the benefit of the doubt that playing him in games the remainder of the season won't result in irreparable injury.

My educated take is that they know he's going to need a surgical repair in the off season, so anything that doesn't cause irreparable injury is fair game. And I'll give the staff the benefit of the doubt that playing him in games the remainder of the season won't result in irreparable injury.

I'm assuming that as well. Would be incredibly stupid if that wasn't the case, but I'm sure the team docs are better informed on that than me. I'm just saying he was definitely rushed back, not accusing the staff of risking further serious injury to Amir.

I'm assuming that as well. Would be incredibly stupid if that wasn't the case, but I'm sure the team docs are better informed on that than me. I'm just saying he was definitely rushed back, not accusing the staff of risking further serious injury to Amir.

IIRC, the recovery time from surgery is 6-8 months. If so, have it now so there's no risk of missing the start of next season.

Top Bottom