B1G Game 9: Gophers visit Wisconsin (1-31-18)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Gophers Travel to the Kold Center:

When we last left the Badgers (2-8) the Gophers (5-3) were cruising to a 90-65 Williams Arena win. It was Minnesota’s 10th straight victory over Wisconsin. Good times were had by all. Minnesota led 56-33 at the half and were never threatened. Pitts (15 points and 11 rebounds) and Taiye Bello (13 points and 13 rebounds) had double doubles. Plus, Kenisha Bell led the Gophers with 24 points and 8 assists. For the Badgers, Cayla McMorris topped the scoring with 23 and Marsha Howard posted 10 points and 10 rebounds even though foul trouble limited her minutes.

Following that defeat, the Badgers are 2-1 with a victory over Northwestern (2-7) 58-46, a loss at Indiana (4-6) 55-69 and yesterdays win at Illinois (0-9) 70-61. The Northwestern win avenged a previous 60-69 loss to the Wildcats and featured a 14-1 Badger run closing out the game.

At Indiana the Badgers never led but closed to within 6 points mid-way through the fourth quarter. Cayla McMorris fueled the attempted comeback scoring 11 of her 20 points in the final quarter.

At Illinois, it appeared the Illini would garner their first B1G win; but then Suzanne Gilreath (who had 12 points at Minnesota) broke out for a career high 27 points. Gilreath came off the bench nailing 7-14 from three. Marsha Howard who had scored 21 versus Northwestern and 17 versus Indiana only played four minutes because of foul trouble.

Team Offense in the B1G
1.Minnesota 81,3
14. Wisconsin 55.2

Team Defense in the B1G
7. Wisconsin 66.8
11. Minnesota 74.8

Margin in the B1G
4. Minnesota +6.5
13. Wisconsin -11.6

B!G Scoring Leaders
7. Bell 17.8
10. Pitts 16.6
11. Wagner 16.1
21. McMorris 13.4

Starters (Conference Stats):

6’2” F So. Courtney Fredrickson
6’0” G Sr. Cayla McMorris: 13.4 points/game
5’7” G Fr. Niya Beverly
5’10” G So. Kendra Van Leeuwan
5’10” F Jr. Marsha Howard: 10.0 points/game

Others:

5’4” G So. Suzzanne Gilreath 11.1 points/game
6’3” F So. Abby Laszewski
6’4” F Sr. Kendall Shaw

Up at half, Hubbs and Bell doing well, Carlie not so much. Back to usual low ceiling post rotation. Wisconsin is bad, but we're not killing them yet. Anticipate we will soon.

Gotta guard Wagner when she's hot from three. She's 5-9 from three.
Looks like she's extended the length from three.

Gotta guard Wagner when she's hot from three. She's 5-9 from three.
Looks like she's extended the length from three.

Carlie really stepped it up in second half. Bell sort of fell off and wasn't that efficient and I'm really down on all her turnovers. Yes she had 8 assists, but 7 turnovers versus the Badgers, come on. Edwards really proving my point, 27 minutes and and 9 points. Give that to Fernstrom and I bet we get double. If I was her I'd just quit. Let Stollings reap what she's sewing with her other posts. Bello was a little of tonight I thought. Overall, we won, which we needed to, but it wasn't all that great given how poor Wisconsin is.

Random thoughts: Gophers didn't play particularly well, but they got out of Madison with a nice win. On a night when Pitts was MIA (first half foul trouble, second half shot trouble), the Gophers got 22 points from Hubbard and 20 from Wagner. Wagner with some hot shooting to give the Gophers a nice cushion at the end of the third quarter after not shooting well in the first half. Bell with an interesting line...12 points, 9 boards, 8 assists, 4 steals, but 7 turnovers. Seems like we get the good with the bad with her sometimes. Wisconsin's Frederickson with a very good night...18 points, 14 boards. She's a nice player. After a career game against Illinois, Badgers Gilreath not a factor tonight with only 6 points...and McMorris even less of a factor with 4 points. On to Iowa CIty for the Gophers as they look to go 7-3 in conference play. With the Gophers powderpuff non-conference schedule, they're going to have to "make hay" the rest of the way if they want to be considered for the NCAA tourney.
Iowa, Purdue, PSU the next 3 games for the Gophers. All are winnable games. Here's hoping the Gophers can continue their run.

gophsfan, I don't understand the obsession with Fernstrom. Family member or family friend? We're stuck with 2 post players who might have a combined vertical jump of 2 inches. And neither has great hands either. Nothing against those two players... they play hard and they have good attitudes, but they are who they are. They have limitations. I agree with the statement that Stollings is often too quick with her hook in taking these post players out of the game, but in the scheme of things, it's befuddling, but probably not all that important. This is a guard-oriented offense and it's not ever going to be a balanced attack with these post players. I've been critical of Stollings regarding a number of things, but, in my opinion, her use of Edwards or Fernstrom isn't all that important.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2017-2018/01-31-18.html

One of the more uncomfortable wire to wire double digit (usually) wins. A big, big thanks to Carlie for expanding the lead with four consecutive threes in the third quarter. A solid effort by Edwards against the Badgers collection of small posts and big posts. Bell again with one of those nights featuring a wonderful stat line bogged down by unnecessary driving turnovers. Again, Kenisha going one dribble too many too often. Hopefully, Destiny has saved a big game for Iowa City.

The Gophers were 10-24 from three-it made all the difference. Well, threes plus getting points off Badger turnovers. As Shades said "6-3 Baby!"

Minutes Played (Starters Bolded)

40 Wagner
39 Hubbard
38 Bell
27 Edwards

22 Pitts
17 Bello
8 Fernstrom
6 Kaposi
3 Brunson

gophsfan, I don't understand the obsession with Fernstrom. Family member or family friend? We're stuck with 2 post players who might have a combined vertical jump of 2 inches. And neither has great hands either. Nothing against those two players... they play hard and they have good attitudes, but they are who they are. They have limitations. I agree with the statement that Stollings is often too quick with her hook in taking these post players out of the game, but in the scheme of things, it's befuddling, but probably not all that important. This is a guard-oriented offense and it's not ever going to be a balanced attack with these post players. I've been critical of Stollings regarding a number of things, but, in my opinion, her use of Edwards or Fernstrom isn't all that important.

I wish I was related, as I could use a few more inches. I understand that we are a guard oriented offense and on a night when we knock down 10 treys it's all good. I just think that we play the best team ball with Fernstrom getting time . I think teams honor the post more and we look more balanced. Like I said, maybe my eyes don't see the same as everyone else. And your correct, I doubt the girl would win a high jump contest, but against Iowa and MS she seemed like our best option balance wise. But against the lows of the B10 you could probably not even use a post and win. Again, maybe I'm wrong. If we can beat Iowa without her, I will lay to rest my view. Anyway, good win and we're in a decent position to do some damage down the stretch.

OK, gophsfan. I thought for sure you were a family member and now that I know that you're not, it's easier to understand that it's just another opinion and I respect it. Go Gophers!

Good comments. I wish we had more talent at center also (guess what, I am pretty sure the coach does too and has tried for that in the next two years of recruits). We are still paying the price for not being prepared when Z decided to leave early. Bellos can run like a deer and leap some and is getting better at rebounding all the time but is still not there as a scorer. As stated, the other two have no vertical leap. Fernstrom can keep from being pushed around but is weak at getting up and down the court against better opponents. All that said, this next game they will be important. By far the best player at Iowa is the big and mobile center. When we beat them here it was a close game and only because Fernstrom and Bello both had pretty good games. Together they played 50 total minutes, shot 10 of 12 from the floor and held the Iowa stud in check pretty well (also had 7 fouls between them). We will probably need that kind of effort again in order to win this key match.

Miscellaneous Quotes:

http://www.dailycardinal.com/articl...-doom-badgers-as-wisconsin-falls-to-minnesota

"Collectively with our team though there were so many things we left out there tonight, there were opportunities that we didn't take advantage of, you have to credit that to Minnesota,” head coach Jonathan Tsipis said. “To dig a hole and go through that long scoring drought from the end of the first quarter through the second quarter, to then kind of scratch and claw for the rest of the game.”

“Over this week and half break before practices I would get up shots and after practice I would get up shots,” Hubbard said. “I was determined to get some shots up tonight, so I was just happy they went in and that was cause my feet were set.”

“I think during that stretch I gained confidence after I hit one of my three’s and then I was like okay, it only takes one sometimes to get it going,” Wagner said. “I had enough space and my feet were set so I was just letting it fly and they went in.”

“She’s [Kenisha Bell] a physical guard that tries to get to the rim and she creates a lot of the contact and that’s what a lot of good players do,” Tsipis said. “I thought Niya held her positioning (defensively) and made her take shots that were a little bit more off balance.”

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/...cle_4f663c6b-7bd9-5873-8407-792d11a67cce.html

“We are a better team than we were 13 days ago,” UW coach Jonathan Tsipis said. “That’s the ultimate goal that any coach would want."

“I thought those [Wagners four straight threes] were back breakers,” Tsipis said.

“Last time (Taiye) Bello had too many rebounds on us so I definitely knew that one of my main things tonight was to not let her get as many,” Fredrickson said. “I just wanted to get in there, get a body on someone and make sure their bigs didn’t get second-chance.
opportunities.”

Good comments. I wish we had more talent at center also (guess what, I am pretty sure the coach does too and has tried for that in the next two years of recruits). We are still paying the price for not being prepared when Z decided to leave early. Bellos can run like a deer and leap some and is getting better at rebounding all the time but is still not there as a scorer. As stated, the other two have no vertical leap. Fernstrom can keep from being pushed around but is weak at getting up and down the court against better opponents. All that said, this next game they will be important. By far the best player at Iowa is the big and mobile center. When we beat them here it was a close game and only because Fernstrom and Bello both had pretty good games. Together they played 50 total minutes, shot 10 of 12 from the floor and held the Iowa stud in check pretty well (also had 7 fouls between them). We will probably need that kind of effort again in order to win this key match.

There was only 2 players that played Post against Iowa. Fernstrom with 27 minutes and Edwards with 13. That adds up to the 40 minutes of the game. Bello has been moved primarily to the 4 guard position and shares those minutes with Pitts. Pitts with 11 Bello with 23 and Kaposi with 6 to make the 40 minute game. I think Bello went into the Wisconsin game for 1 shift at the post position but is primarily a 4 guard now. I like her at this position. I don't think she has the size to be a post player in the Big 10 but she is probably the most athletic player on the team and I think will make a great 4.

Top Bottom