Shama: Teen grocery store employee didn't know Gophers played fball longer than Vikes

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

From the lighter side: A teenage grocery store employee said yesterday she didn’t know the Gophers have been playing football longer than the Vikings.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

From the lighter side: A teenage grocery store employee said yesterday she didn’t know the Gophers have been playing football longer than the Vikings.

Go Gophers!!
I wouldn't have been shocked if she didn't know who the Vikings or gophers were.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

per Shama:

Go Gophers!!

I'm a little embarrassed to admit, but I'm not sure a lot of my high school classmates knew either, but I didn't know the Gophers had won 6 Natl Titles back in the day. As far as I knew the Gopher fb team was also middle of the road, if even that? I didn't learn of their 6 Natl Titles until my early 20s. It just wasn't something that was talked about where I was from. Then again, outside of Gopher mens hockey, there really wasn't any Gopher teams, in any sport that was doing well during that period, the 80s.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit, but I'm not sure a lot of my high school classmates knew either, but I didn't know the Gophers had won 6 Natl Titles back in the day. As far as I knew the Gopher fb team was also middle of the road, if even that? I didn't learn of their 6 Natl Titles until my early 20s. It just wasn't something that was talked about where I was from. Then again, outside of Gopher mens hockey, there really wasn't any Gopher teams, in any sport that was doing well during that period, the 80s.
Isn't the title of this forum "7 National Titles"? [emoji16]

The University of Minnesota in true Minnesota fashion our Gophers did not claim the seventh title (1904?) till recently. ((Stares at Alabama)).

The University of Minnesota in true Minnesota fashion our Gophers did not claim the seventh title (1904?) till recently. ((Stares at Alabama)).

It's a horrible claim too, based on a computer ranking that wasn't even devised until the late 1960's.

I'm surprised she looked up from her phone long enough to answer him.

She also mentioned celebrating "America's 2018th birthday" on January 1st.

Gophers have the same number of conference titles in my lifetime as the vikings

Gophers have the same number of conference titles in my lifetime as the vikings

Well put.

"We're going to win the Big Ten championship and we're going to take the Gopher Nation to Pasadena. That's my dream, that's my goal and that's my belief. It will happen here sooner rather than later." -- Tim Brewster

Well, yes it is. What the U claims, and what the rest of the world considers "Recognized Titles" might not match?

Not sure why they would claim the 1904 Title, vs the 1903 title? Michigan was named Natl Champs that year, and we tied them, otherwise going undefeated, so why not 1903?

1911 and 1915 are also years we were named National Champs, unofficially, non-recognized.

But my favorite team of all time, outside of our Title winning teams, is the 1914 squad, the infamous "Immortals". If not for frigging the Illini and their crafty new coach, a future Cfb HOFer, partly thanks to us, we would have easily have won the Title that year. Modern day cfb, having just 1 loss is no big deal, hell, I say we claim 1914 as a Natl Title year as well. Why not? We were otherwise clearly the best team in the nation. I mean, we garnered the coolest ever nickname, the Immortals, I mean, come on, that's even better than the 4 horsemen, because that was only 4 players, our nickname labeled the entire team.

Top Bottom