PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle - Sunday, Jan 28, 2018

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
PJ Fleck returned to the Sports Huddle this week.

Sid: Early signing date - did it help Gopher recruiting?
PJF: according to ESPN we signed a top 25 class. got everyone signed in December. that Gives us January to recruit 2019. I can be out - get around high school coaches.

Sid: Still recruiting for this year?
PJF: finish up PWO's by June. no scholarships left

Sid: Coaching changes?
PJF: Mo left - he's from Texas. - A & M is just 45 minutes from his home, they just had a baby. People are going to want our coaches - that's a compliment to them. Not going to stunt their growth. hope they will be with us as long as they can. when opportunities come along, we're there to support them.

Sid: got a look at guys who reported early.?
PJF: excited. Curtis Dunlap, Daniel Faalele, got to get in shape, adapt to college life. Vic V. here, going to class. winter conditioning - make them better athletes. team camaraderie. building team bond with young guys, become part of the team immediately.

Mona: what is difference with PWO vs regular walk-on
PJF: PWO is a recruited walk-on. they go on official visit. fit in separate rule department. PWO has to wait a certain amount of years before you can get a scholarship. but nobody gets treated differently once they're in the program.

Sid: how are the new facilities.
PJF: all moved in. 95% finished. some workers still in there, hooking up TV's and so forth. getting our graphics up. I'm not very patient. hosted Junior day yesterday - phenomenal. one of best facilities in country. looking forward to using it. a world-class experience. thankful to be in it.

Sid: will you watch the Eagles work out?
PJF: they will use our old offices, old building. I wanted to make sure they had the opportunity to practice in new indoor facility, too. Gophers have it in the morning, Eagles have it in the afternoon. excited to have NFL here.

Sid: Winfield, Douglas get another year?
PJF: having tremendous off-season. going to be difference makers for us. Douglas as WR, Ty Johnson, add Chris Bell. year two we're going to be a lot younger, but people will see talent level rise. thankful to have Winfield next year.

Mona: position changes?
PJF: we've moved some players. if it's a true necessity, do it in January. Spring ball, that's when things can change. we're still building roster in terms of depth. need to be in a situation where, when we have injuries, we don't just get left with nothing.

Sid: what can players do now?
PJF: lifting, conditioning. working on craft. we can develop them physically, mentally, emotionally, academically. came off great GPA. come together as a team. last year we were more of a group, not a true team.

Mona: red-shirts?
PJF: Tanner Morgan at QB in thick of things. Chris Bell WR. Douglas - got a taste of before he got hurt. Malcom Robinson on Defense. a lot of the new FR we're excited about. Big O at DE. big 6'6" guy (Otomewo?) it was tempting to break his redshirt. he's one of best athletes on FB team. have to look down the road. want to have him in year 5 as a SR.

Sid: spring practice?
PJF: start in March. have lot of open practices. with new building being done, I'd like to find a way to have tours. all will be announced eventually.

Sid: recruits for 2019?
PJF: 3 commits already for 2019. use this year's late signing date to announce PWO's.

Sid: hope we can have you on every week.
PJF: we'll get back to weekly routine.

Sid: Murray's. Tim loves it when you and your wife come in.
PJF: RTB, Ski-U-Mah.

Great interview, sounds like PJ is really excited about some of the redshirt freshmen. Would be nice to have Esezi and Robinson become contributors early on the D-line.

Who wrote down questions for Sid? Nothing about the Wayzata players for a change

Thanks for the recap! Very well done. Interesting read in that he says he isn't very patient. Yet he has his head on right as to not pull red shirts off of freshman knowing that they are more valuable and stronger as a 5th year senior. He is also doing the player a favor to be better prepared for the NFL if the opportunity were to arise.

Thanks SON

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great interview, sounds like PJ is really excited about some of the redshirt freshmen. Would be nice to have Esezi and Robinson become contributors early on the D-line.

This. With Richardson's graduation, we definitely need D line help.

Maybe it’s just the pace of the interview but I find no mention of Warinner interesting.

Oh tours that would be really nice.

I mean I'm sure I'm a tiny donor all things considered but kinda suprised they weren't oganizing some tours for us pleb ticket holders....

But he mentions Mo when asked?

Has there has been any official announcement from Michigan? Couldn't find one in a very quick Google search. Wonder how many of his former coaches at WMU have gotten better better jobs elsewhere?

I can't believe the lead was buried:

Older or same at 8 of 11 on offense?

Probably same at QB:
Demry Croft rs soph/Vic Viramontes rs soph

Older at top two RBs?
Shannon and Rodney both a year older.

Probably older at 4 oline spots?
Donnell Greene, Weyler, Olson a year older.
Dickson older than Schlueter/Connelly (Schlueter a year older)

Older at one WR, same at one, younger at one?
Tyler Johnson a year older. Douglas, Bell rs frosh...same as Howard/Williams in 2017. Bateman frosh.Carter gone.

Younger at TE with Woz/Lingen gone.

Older/same at 8 of eleven on defense?

4th year senior Richardson/5th year senior Merrick in 2017; 5th year senior OJ Smith and 5th year senior Moore at DT in 2018? Rs junior Silver in mix?

Umlor a year older at one end, Otomewo rs frosh in 18 vs true soph Coughlin in 17 at other end? DeLatti a year older, Devers a year older.

Martin, Barber, Cashman all a year older...lose senior Celestin, Coughlin a junior or Cashman a senior in his spot?

Transfer rs junior Williamson and older Kiondre/Shenault make us older at corner?
Huff, Winfield, HandyHolly all older at safety...lose McGhee.

Older at 5 of 6 special teams guys? Brooks, Shenault,

Carpenter older, snapper Jordahl, holder Herbers older...Rs junior Herbers takes over from rs sr Santoso at punter?

Older or same at 8 of 11 on offense?

Probably same at QB:
Demry Croft rs soph/Vic Viramontes rs soph

Older at top two RBs?
Shannon and Rodney both a year older.

Probably older at 4 oline spots?
Donnell Greene, Weyler, Olson a year older.
Dickson older than Schlueter/Connelly (Schlueter a year older)

Older at one WR, same at one, younger at one?
Tyler Johnson a year older. Douglas, Bell rs frosh...same as Howard/Williams in 2017. Bateman frosh.Carter gone.

Younger at TE with Woz/Lingen gone.

Older/same at 8 of eleven on defense?

4th year senior Richardson/5th year senior Merrick in 2017; 5th year senior OJ Smith and 5th year senior Moore at DT in 2018? Rs junior Silver in mix?

Umlor a year older at one end, Otomewo rs frosh in 18 vs true soph Coughlin in 17 at other end? DeLatti a year older, Devers a year older.

Martin, Barber, Cashman all a year older...lose senior Celestin, Coughlin a junior or Cashman a senior in his spot?

Transfer rs junior Williamson and older Kiondre/Shenault make us older at corner?
Huff, Winfield, HandyHolly all older at safety...lose McGhee.

Older at 5 of 6 special teams guys? Brooks, Shenault,

Carpenter older, snapper Jordahl, holder Herbers older...Rs junior Herbers takes over from rs sr Santoso at punter?
He must plan on starting a whole bunch of true freshmen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Conditioning? He did bring that up, but no followup. Coach where can I find the records? Has anyone broken one so far this season?

I guess I should have bolded the part where he said "year 2".

-Prepares for the year 0 haters-

popcorn_jon_stewart.gif

Maybe it’s just the pace of the interview but I find no mention of Warinner interesting.

He is history. Fleck moving on.

But he mentions Mo when asked?

That whole thing is rather odd. Warinner isn't listed on the U of M roster (http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/minn-m-footbl-mtt.html) and he is also not listed on the Michigan staff (http://mgoblue.com/sports/2017/6/28/sports-m-footbl-coaches.aspx). It's like he left but nobody can talk about it. Maybe one of the analysts/assistants from Michigan is going to the NFL after the Superbowl (either Josh McDaniels' or Matt Patricia's staff), so they can't announce Warinner's hiring until after someone's officially hired away?

That whole thing is rather odd. Warinner isn't listed on the U of M roster (http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/minn-m-footbl-mtt.html) and he is also not listed on the Michigan staff (http://mgoblue.com/sports/2017/6/28/sports-m-footbl-coaches.aspx). It's like he left but nobody can talk about it. Maybe one of the analysts/assistants from Michigan is going to the NFL after the Superbowl (either Josh McDaniels' or Matt Patricia's staff), so they can't announce Warinner's hiring until after someone's officially hired away?

well there was this in the Detroit Free Press.....

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...an-um-wolverines-warinner-analyst/1050971001/

Top Bottom