Gophers 1-Notre Dame 0 in OT Highlights

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mittelstadt with a Mariucci moment.

The rink looked half empty. Sad.

Probably because too many Hockey fans are buying into the negative bs being spread around by losers who can't get over their anger about moving to the B1G Conf, or that hate Lucia and want him gone and might actually be hoping the team sucks this year so that he might get fired because of it?

So even though this year's squad is beating more Top ranked teams than anyone else in the country, the negativity about the program is helping to keep people away.

Some college teams out there actually have fans who fill up their team's Arenas or stadiums, REGARDLESS of how good the team is doing. Rain or shine, good or bad, they support their team.

Guess that can't be said about Gopher hockey fans??? It's sad.

Probably because too many Hockey fans are buying into the negative bs being spread around by losers who can't get over their anger about moving to the B1G Conf, or that hate Lucia and want him gone and might actually be hoping the team sucks this year so that he might get fired because of it?

So even though this year's squad is beating more Top ranked teams than anyone else in the country, the negativity about the program is helping to keep people away.

Some college teams out there actually have fans who fill up their team's Arenas or stadiums, REGARDLESS of how good the team is doing. Rain or shine, good or bad, they support their team.

Guess that can't be said about Gopher hockey fans??? It's sad.

I actually like the move to the B1G. If they play their traditional rivals in non-conference games that is fine by me. Back when I was still in Minny and used to go to games 12+ years ago there were often big chunks of prime seats sitting empty. I assumed these were either unused corporate seats or old-timer high-rollers that wanted to keep the seats in the family, but didn't care to come to all the games. I would guess there is a good bit of this still happening. That said, from a way outsiders POV, there just seems to be a malaise about the program. Lucia hasn't kept up with other in state schools. And you can point to his B1G championships, but he hasn't gotten nearly what he should have out of the talent he's had since his back-to-back championships. I would love to see new blood come in and inject some energy.

there just seems to be a malaise about the program. Lucia hasn't kept up with other in state schools. And you can point to his B1G championships, but he hasn't gotten nearly what he should have out of the talent he's had since his back-to-back championships.

# of Frozen Four appearances last 10 years

2 - Minnesota
2 - UMD
1 - scsu
1 - Bemidji
0 - Mankato

Granted UMD got a title out of one of their trips, but honestly I put this in the next group I'll refer to

# of Non-blue blood programs with FF appearances the last 2 decades

1998-2007 = 7
2008-2017 = 21

# of Non-blue blood programs Natl Titles the last 2 decades

1998-2007 = 0
2008-2017 = 4

college hockey landscape has changed people. The day of blue bloods ruling over college hockey are over. NHL raids the cupboards of programs like Mn, Mich, Wisc & UND far more than the blue blood programs winning those titles or making FFs.

Notre Dame is the only non-blue blood program to make it to more than 2 Frozen Fours in a 10 year period, or the last 10 years. I only mentioned the first option to show that UMD has not yet done that. They have 3 FFs in the last 14 years. So Notre Dame's making their 3rd FF in 10 years last year and then their move to a conference full of mostly blue blood schools and moving right into the lead in the conference and the lead in the nation is showing that they are in the process of graduating up from a non-blue blood program to blue blood status. But after this year they may disappear from the FF again? Takes time to see if a program has what it takes to regularly do well in the NCAA tourney. Very few have shown this lately. Basically just UND and BC. UND lost the coach responsible for most of that, and BC's coach is getting very old and is on the verge of missing his 2nd straight NCAA tourney this year. So its not easy for anyone out there really.

My point is yes, UMD has become more of a legit program, YES, and before the NHL starts regularly raiding their cupboards of all of its best young talent, they might win another Title or at least make another FF appearance? Or have they already started having their cupboards raided? SCSU lost some good players early during the offseason, including one of last year's frosh. Is that why SCSU is struggling now? Maybe team chemistry got a little disrupted? So maybe UMD has already got the attention of the NHL? My point being, until they go through what Lucia had to go through after his back to back titles, losing so many players after just one season, an occasional run to a Natl Title doesn't mean a program has caught up to a blue blood program. Otherwise should be consider Union or Providence or Yale as super powers in NCAA hockey??? I hope not, not a one of those programs has returned to the FF, much less won another title. And it took UMD 6 years to return to the FF after their title. Very non-blue blood like, and if UMD does not return this year and/or starts struggling again and missed for a few years, well than it will be apparent that they are NOT a step above UMn like everyone seems to think they are now.

Beating our Gophers heads up isn't the Super Bowl, or shouldn't be, and if it is, than that definitely shows that they haven't gotten to the Gopher's level yet. NOT making more FFs than Minnesota doesn't impress me.

# of Frozen Four appearances last 10 years

2 - Minnesota
2 - UMD
1 - scsu
1 - Bemidji
0 - Mankato

Granted UMD got a title out of one of their trips, but honestly I put this in the next group I'll refer to

# of Non-blue blood programs with FF appearances the last 2 decades

1998-2007 = 7
2008-2017 = 21

# of Non-blue blood programs Natl Titles the last 2 decades

1998-2007 = 0
2008-2017 = 4

college hockey landscape has changed people. The day of blue bloods ruling over college hockey are over. NHL raids the cupboards of programs like Mn, Mich, Wisc & UND far more than the blue blood programs winning those titles or making FFs.

Notre Dame is the only non-blue blood program to make it to more than 2 Frozen Fours in a 10 year period, or the last 10 years. I only mentioned the first option to show that UMD has not yet done that. They have 3 FFs in the last 14 years. So Notre Dame's making their 3rd FF in 10 years last year and then their move to a conference full of mostly blue blood schools and moving right into the lead in the conference and the lead in the nation is showing that they are in the process of graduating up from a non-blue blood program to blue blood status. But after this year they may disappear from the FF again? Takes time to see if a program has what it takes to regularly do well in the NCAA tourney. Very few have shown this lately. Basically just UND and BC. UND lost the coach responsible for most of that, and BC's coach is getting very old and is on the verge of missing his 2nd straight NCAA tourney this year. So its not easy for anyone out there really.

My point is yes, UMD has become more of a legit program, YES, and before the NHL starts regularly raiding their cupboards of all of its best young talent, they might win another Title or at least make another FF appearance? Or have they already started having their cupboards raided? SCSU lost some good players early during the offseason, including one of last year's frosh. Is that why SCSU is struggling now? Maybe team chemistry got a little disrupted? So maybe UMD has already got the attention of the NHL? My point being, until they go through what Lucia had to go through after his back to back titles, losing so many players after just one season, an occasional run to a Natl Title doesn't mean a program has caught up to a blue blood program. Otherwise should be consider Union or Providence or Yale as super powers in NCAA hockey??? I hope not, not a one of those programs has returned to the FF, much less won another title. And it took UMD 6 years to return to the FF after their title. Very non-blue blood like, and if UMD does not return this year and/or starts struggling again and missed for a few years, well than it will be apparent that they are NOT a step above UMn like everyone seems to think they are now.

Beating our Gophers heads up isn't the Super Bowl, or shouldn't be, and if it is, than that definitely shows that they haven't gotten to the Gopher's level yet. NOT making more FFs than Minnesota doesn't impress me.

Thank you for the perspective. When you dig into the minutia it appears things are better than they may seem. But I do remember a time when Gopher hockey was the toughest ticket to get in town. The rink seems rather sparse these days. And no national championships in 15 years is inexcusable for a program like Minnesota. When you are even able to use other in state programs as a barometer of success it is a little scary. They should have much loftier aspirations in Dinkeytown. If you feel comfortable with the statuses quo, that's cool. The program in the past few years seems to have gotten stale. A little reboot would be good for the program.

Thank you for the perspective. When you dig into the minutia it appears things are better than they may seem. But I do remember a time when Gopher hockey was the toughest ticket to get in town. The rink seems rather sparse these days. And no national championships in 15 years is inexcusable for a program like Minnesota. When you are even able to use other in state programs as a barometer of success it is a little scary. They should have much loftier aspirations in Dinkeytown. If you feel comfortable with the statuses quo, that's cool. The program in the past few years seems to have gotten stale. A little reboot would be good for the program.

Hey, introduce me to a sure thing replacement coach and I'm all in. I just haven't heard anyone mentioned that fits that description. Guentzal? Are you kidding me? Motzko? Hasn't proved anything yet. I'd be comfortable with Potulny, but no one else is bringing up his name???

So... I feel Lucia is the best option, FOR NOW, until a better option is presented.

Btw, if you only knew just how HUGE the gap is, in regards to producing NHL point producers.

UMn's getting plundered of all of its best talent like NO OTHER PROGRAM out there. It's not even close.

I have the #s, for 80% of the relevant teams, I'll post them soon, as soon as I get the other 20%.

But as a teaser, I'll post this much

UMn alums, that left early for the NHL have scored

349 pts

SCSU alums, all of them, have scored

349 vs 38.

UMD alum have produced 55 pts

UND alum have produced 221 pts, to lead the nchc. UMn, Wisc AND Mich alums all produce more pts than the best the nchc team's alum produce.

349 vs 221???

I mean, its not even close. And those are ONLY the UMners that left early.

Not even including the guys who played 4 years and got into the NHL, for UMn. I'm including everyone for all the other teams I mentioned.

When you consider the University's PRIMARY MISSION, which is not pleasing sports fans, but servicing its students and giving them the tools to go out into society and make a difference, well, our students are making far more of an impact on the NHL than any other school's.

But no one gives Lucia credit for this.

All they care about is whether the team wins and entertains them.

Well, the days of Blue Blood hockey programs winning a ton are done. Thank the NHL for that. It's not Lucia's fault. No one else out there is raking in tons of FFs and Natl Titles either. York with 3, is getting old and is on the verge of his 2nd straight season of not even making the NCAA tourney, which would be his 6th season of not returning to the Title game.

Hakstol is in the NHL.

The Denver coach that led them to B2B titles is gone.

There is no one out there that can claim to be dominating the NCAA mens hockey scene

BC and UND are the only 2 programs that can claim more than the 2 FFs Lucia has gotten us to in the last 6 years.

And UND lost the coach that basically got them those 3 FFs. And like I said, York is getting old and maybe losing his touch?

Lucia could be arguably the best guy out there, if FFs are important.

And with 4 wins vs Top 4 ranked teams this season so far, more than any other team can claim? It's not unreasonable to consider he may deliver again this season?

AND, we won't lose a huge class of contributing seniors after this year, in fact the seniors are the least contributing class of the bunch, so next year could be a better year, talent wise? Although we may lose another one and doner if Mittelstadt chooses to leave?

Hey, introduce me to a sure thing replacement coach and I'm all in. I just haven't heard anyone mentioned that fits that description. Guentzal? Are you kidding me? Motzko? Hasn't proved anything yet. I'd be comfortable with Potulny, but no one else is bringing up his name???

So... I feel Lucia is the best option, FOR NOW, until a better option is presented.

Btw, if you only knew just how HUGE the gap is, in regards to producing NHL point producers.

UMn's getting plundered of all of its best talent like NO OTHER PROGRAM out there. It's not even close.

I have the #s, for 80% of the relevant teams, I'll post them soon, as soon as I get the other 20%.

But as a teaser, I'll post this much

UMn alums, that left early for the NHL have scored

349 pts

SCSU alums, all of them, have scored

349 vs 38.

UMD alum have produced 55 pts

UND alum have produced 221 pts, to lead the nchc. UMn, Wisc AND Mich alums all produce more pts than the best the nchc team's alum produce.

349 vs 221???

I mean, its not even close. And those are ONLY the UMners that left early.

Not even including the guys who played 4 years and got into the NHL, for UMn. I'm including everyone for all the other teams I mentioned.

When you consider the University's PRIMARY MISSION, which is not pleasing sports fans, but servicing its students and giving them the tools to go out into society and make a difference, well, our students are making far more of an impact on the NHL than any other school's.

But no one gives Lucia credit for this.

All they care about is whether the team wins and entertains them.

Well, the days of Blue Blood hockey programs winning a ton are done. Thank the NHL for that. It's not Lucia's fault. No one else out there is raking in tons of FFs and Natl Titles either. York with 3, is getting old and is on the verge of his 2nd straight season of not even making the NCAA tourney, which would be his 6th season of not returning to the Title game.

Hakstol is in the NHL.

The Denver coach that led them to B2B titles is gone.

There is no one out there that can claim to be dominating the NCAA mens hockey scene

BC and UND are the only 2 programs that can claim more than the 2 FFs Lucia has gotten us to in the last 6 years.

And UND lost the coach that basically got them those 3 FFs. And like I said, York is getting old and maybe losing his touch?

Lucia could be arguably the best guy out there, if FFs are important.

And with 4 wins vs Top 4 ranked teams this season so far, more than any other team can claim? It's not unreasonable to consider he may deliver again this season?

The answer to who would replace Lucia is definitely not on the current coaching staff at the U of M. And I don't think you can ever consider a new coach a "sure thing" in any college sport. However, I do find it hard to believe that Don Lucia is the only person over a 15 year span that is capable of coaching the Gopher hockey team. We've had two Minnesota natives coach NHL teams during that time. But we can't find someone to coach the local college hockey team? I don't buy that.

The answer to who would replace Lucia is definitely not on the current coaching staff at the U of M. And I don't think you can ever consider a new coach a "sure thing" in any college sport. However, I do find it hard to believe that Don Lucia is the only person over a 15 year span that is capable of coaching the Gopher hockey team. We've had two Minnesota natives coach NHL teams during that time. But we can't find someone to coach the local college hockey team? I don't buy that.

Well, I agree the person is not on the current staff. I also do not believe someone like Motzko at SCSU would be the right choice either, although if he led SCSU to a Title this year, well, that would go a long way towards swaying my opinion.

As for the Minnesota natives coaching in the NHL? Those guys rarely get their via the college coaching route. They usually land some kind of asst coaching position in the NHL first and then get bumped up, and get paid WAY more than a college hockey coach gets paid. And the one I've mentioned here before, he was a Gopher, too, but he didn't exactly tear up the NHL? Who is the other guy? How did he do in the NHL?

But its more realistic to look for a guy in the collegiate coaching ranks I would think. But hey, if they can convince some hot shot NHL coach to take a huge pay cut, I'd be fine with that. Otherwise, seems they think of Motzko partly because he was an assistant here so he might like the idea of being the Head coach here?

I just hope tDon takes this year's squad deep into the tourney so that he can go out on top, maybe after this year if they win the Title? Maybe after next year if he can do 2 FF trips back to back or something? Would give us more time to watch both Motzko and Potulny. They both might get teams into the NCAA tourney this year?

Oh, and Lucia may not have been the only guy that could have coached the Gophers over the last 10-15 years, but for the first 6 years of his career, he was easily the most successful coach in all of college hockey until York had his little every other year run from 08-12. But by then, and to the dismay of all the Lucia haters out there, tDon got us to 2 FFs in 3 years from 12-14 and he went from being on the hot seat, to being too hot to fire. Now its been another 3 years without a FF and the # of Lucia haters has grown and if he manages to miss the NCAA's this year, that might be it for him if they think that they can get someone decent. If he gets us at least to the NCAAs, I think he'll be asked nicely to retire at the end of next year. So they can get away without firing him or extending his contract.

Lame duck coach is a huge no-no.

My opinion: Anything less than a title and he's gone
Realistic: A FF appearance would probably save his job and earn him a one year extension or something

Top Bottom