Cal game might be .............

gold04

Reaction score
the breakout game for Webber. I think the last two games Webber has had a lot of pressure on him being the leader of the team. There was opening day (syracuse) and then opening day (Air Force) in the new stadium. Maybe for the first time this season Webber can just go out there and be relaxed. Maybe he will throw for 400 yards verse Cal.

the breakout game for Webber. I think the last two games Webber has had a lot of pressure on him being the leader of the team. There was opening day (syracuse) and then opening day (Air Force) in the new stadium. Maybe for the first time this season Webber can just go out there and be relaxed. Maybe he will throw for 400 yards verse Cal.

I think this is a very important point - the whole team, and especially the QB Weber, had to have been extremely nervous these past two games. There was a ton of pressure put on them to win both of those first two games because of the history involved. There were a lot of open receivers Saturday night, Weber just missed them. If he hits those open men, and if the Gophers avoided stupid penalties, that game would have been a beat down. As is, the game of football revolves very much around the play of the QB - Weber has not played well. But now it's time to be the underdog, and the pressure of losing either of those first two games is gone. Maybe he and the whole team can settle down just enough to start making those crucial plays. They'll need to to have any chance of beating Cal and of going to a bowl game this year.

If Weber throws for 400 yards, we're probably playing from behind all game and in a lot of trouble.

Cal has a very good pass rush...weber will be feeling all sorts of pressure i'm sure.

The start will be very important. One thing is for sure, we can't wait til the third quarter to get rolling. If we can establish that we can play against these guys early it could be a very nice game win or lose.

DBs and D line for Cal

Was listening to ESPN a couple weeks ago and they thought Cal had the best defensive backfield in the country. They thought the D-Line was second in the Pac 10 to USCs. So an offense that has struggled my struggle even more against them.

I'm very excited for this game although I think we are big underdogs. BUT think of this -- we pull this one out somehow and we are 3-0 heading into a couple of games that are very winnable. A win here puts a whole new spin on the season, recruiting, and the stadium. This is a great opportunity and I'm glad its not LA-Lafayette we have scheduled this week as in the past!

The start will be very important. One thing is for sure, we can't wait til the third quarter to get rolling. If we can establish that we can play against these guys early it could be a very nice game win or lose.

I'd settle for just keeping it close until the 4th quarter, putting pressure on the favorites to give us a chance to win.

The Gophers, even bad Gopher teams in the 90's, have found ways to win some of these games: they beat Donovan McNabb and Syracuse back when the a young Gopher Carter D-back single-handedly drove the Gophers to victory; they beat a previously undefeated Wisconsin team in '93 to ruin the Badgers' hopes at a national championship run. They can beat Cal. They can surprise us. These guys simply need to execute better; and they certainly have that ability, the only question is will they execute the plays or will they continue to be a bit off? If they do execute, they will win, simple as that. The talent on this roster is not that different anymore from that of Cal's; just less experienced and less confident.

If the Gophers can get on a roll, they can be a darkhorse this year, no doubt. There have been far less talented teams play in the national picture before. It just requires, well, you know, IT.

I think this is a very important point - the whole team... had to have been extremely nervous these past two games. There was a ton of pressure put on them to win both of those first two games because of the history involved... But now it's time to be the underdog, and the pressure of losing either of those first two games is gone...
I'm in complete agreement with this statement. We are significant (to say the least) underdogs next week even though it's an 11am game against a west coast team and we're in our brand new house. There are few expectations for the team from a national standpoint; can you think of any better stage to play with one hell of a chip on your shoulder? These guys know what they're going up against. They know what the media, casual observers, and hell, even most of the "realists" on this site are predicting (if don't think they don't read this, you've got the mental capacity of an empty 7up can). Our guys on offense are going to be loose as a goose compared to the past two weeks. The defense will be what it's been - clutch.

Cal is the type of game where great seasons, hell, I'll say it, even dynasties begin. Criticize me for being homeriffic and delusional, because you're Goddamned right, I am, but I love this team and I think this has all the makings of a trap game.

Get fired up and go get 'em, guys.

Top Bottom