B1G quarterback rankings

Collegefootballnews.com came out with its pre-spring rankings for B1G quarterback depth. Perhaps not surprisingly, the Gophers are ranked 14th. Penn State's QB depth is ranked #1, Ohio State's #2.

http://collegefootballnews.com/2018/01/big-ten-pre-spring-quarterback-depth-chart-breakdown-ranking

Oh man, what a disaster of a prediction. True Frosh ahead of vic? Seth ahead of Vic? Obviously they did no homework. I also think they way underranked Maryland. Both qbs coming back from ACLs looked great. And the biggest problems: michigan?!!?? WAAAY too high. QB play was horrid last year and they had 2 transfers. Ahead of WI? Joke. Not that I like WI QBs, but Hornibrook was a typical stable WI QB, Michigan's were all bad. And OSU 2? Based on what? Being a trusted #2 makes you the second best in conference?
Overall the Big 10 has 1 star and a whole lot of solid game managers and intriguing young players who've proven nothing.

Here is what it said about us:

14. Minnesota Golden Gophers
Inside Track Starter: Seth Green, Soph.
Contender: Vic Viramontes, Soph.
Wild Card: Tanner Morgan, RFr.

It’s not like Demry Croft was about to grow into the next Tom Brady, but with his transfer, and the graduation of Conor Rhoda, the situation is a big of a mess. Green will be the tentative No. 1 guy to start spring ball, but JUCO transfer Viramontes – a dangerous dual-threat option who had a cup of coffee at Cal after originally choosing Michigan – was brought in to provide a big push for the job right away.

Go Gophers!!

Wat?

The writer of this piece probably knows less than the majority of this board about the QB depth and talent at Minnesota currently. And we know very little about that.

Wat?

Someone had better alert the coaching staff or this will never happen.

Inside Track Starter: Seth Green, Soph. Been with the program the longest, thus is the favorite
Contender: Vic Viramontes, Soph.Seen playing time in JUCO, and was decent, so could take the favorite spot
Wild Card: Tanner Morgan, RFr. Never seen any play from this guy, but he could be good, so wild card

Wat?

Their thought process (IMO) is in bold.

For some reason I thought McSorley was a senior already.

The writer of this piece probably knows less than the majority of this board about the QB depth and talent at Minnesota currently. And we know very little about that.

Or most of the other B10 teams for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Until the Gophers start practicing, I don't think there is any where else to rate us other than last in the Big Ten. Most teams have a returning starter. For sure Vic in reality needs to win the job for us to seemingly improve. But, I believe PJ said somewhere along the way he wouldn't open practice at #1. So, Morgan from quotes would certainly seem to be #1 to open practice, but Seth has been in the program longer so I don't think it's impossible PJ started him at the top to begin. PJ also, seemed to hint Zack would get a chance to compete in the spring. But, again Vic is the only guy who can logically be expected to even possibly elevate the team beyond last year.

As for Speight, he's still welcome back at Michigan if the transfer has to sit out. I agree Hornibrook should be higher. Likely, #2 with their O-line and returning RB. Maryland with their new offensive coordinator and likely additional healthy people should be a surprise team this season.

Until the Gophers start practicing, I don't think there is any where else to rate us other than last in the Big Ten. Most teams have a returning starter. For sure Vic in reality needs to win the job for us to seemingly improve. But, I believe PJ said somewhere along the way he wouldn't open practice at #1. So, Morgan from quotes would certainly seem to be #1 to open practice, but Seth has been in the program longer so I don't think it's impossible PJ started him at the top to begin. PJ also, seemed to hint Zack would get a chance to compete in the spring. But, again Vic is the only guy who can logically be expected to even possibly elevate the team beyond last year.

As for Speight, he's still welcome back at Michigan if the transfer has to sit out. I agree Hornibrook should be higher. Likely, #2 with their O-line and returning RB. Maryland with their new offensive coordinator and likely additional healthy people should be a surprise team this season.

I don't mind OSU 2nd with Urban's track record. I think Nathan Stanley and Hornibrook would be top 4. I'd move Lewerke to 5th, Purdue guys 6th, Maryland 7th, Indiana 8th, Michigan 9th (assuming Patterson sits out) , after that it's crap shoot of players with little experience/little results.

That seems about right.

It's all preseason blah-blah-blah.

Wat?

Have no issue with them ranking us 14th as I don't believe any of those guys have taken a snap in a real D1 football game. That being said, they went 0-3 in getting them in the right categories.

Inside Track: Vic
Contender: Morgan
Wild Card: Green

Interesting that walk-on DB Jon Santaga has moved to QB on the roster. I saw this referenced in a tweet yesterday.

We now have 7 QB's on the roster
1 Fr
4 RS Fr
2 Soph.

Interesting that walk-on DB Jon Santaga has moved to QB on the roster. I saw this referenced in a tweet yesterday. http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...Links-Tweets-Videos-Stories-Rumors-etc/page31

1 Fr
4 RS Fr
2 Soph.

324bba1b46200df898234f5e3cbd9121.gif

University of Washington signed 3 QBs ranked in the ESPN Top 100 and have a fourth transferring from Georgia that was in the previous year top 100. We can't even get 1.

Interesting that walk-on DB Jon Santaga has moved to QB on the roster. I saw this referenced in a tweet yesterday.

1 Fr
4 RS Fr
2 Soph.

That would be something if he actually ever ended up making an impact. What's normal for number of QBs on a roster? Was this mostly just done for depth or desperation or both?

That would be something if he actually ever ended up making an impact. What's normal for number of QBs on a roster? Was this mostly just done for depth or desperation or both?

Well, 4 of the 7 are walkons. One of the three on scholarship was treated as dead man walking last year. So, how many do we really have?

I’d say by indications 2 on scholarship and one walkon (Zack) gets an opportunity to perform.
And didn’t somebody say we have 19 WR’s? Somebody needs to throw it to them.

Top Bottom