Michigan State athletic director Mark Hollis is expected to tender his resignation

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Not surprising. Have a feeling he won't be the last. Heads are gonna roll on this one.

Go Gophers!!

While I agree that MSU is responsible for "hiding" the truth. The question I have to ask, how could the parents keep Nassers actions silent? How could 150(?) sets of parents accept what was happening? Maybe parent-daughter talk doesn't happen with Olympicans. I know in my house, nothing like this would have occurred without my approval.

While I agree that MSU is responsible for "hiding" the truth. The question I have to ask, how could the parents keep Nassers actions silent? How could 150(?) sets of parents accept what was happening? Maybe parent-daughter talk doesn't happen with Olympicans. I know in my house, nothing like this would have occurred without my approval.

I have been saying this for years. "honey, you want to be an Olympian right?" "once your famous and have you metal, life is easy" " It will all be over when you retire" "you quit complaining and keep working hard, remember what is important" Was a youth hockey registrar in what was the largest association in the state years ago and can share dozens of stories of parents who will over look anything to have their kid be famous. I knew parents that ruined their family because their 8 year old was for sure going NHL. Sexual assault, physical and mental damage is not an excuse to prevent the kid from being famous in their eyes!

There are several of those parents that belong in prison too and in the end, we will see some accused of a cover up.

OTL: Michigan State secrets extend far beyond Larry Nassar case - ESPN

MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY administrators have long claimed, to the federal government and public, that they have handled sexual assault, violence, and gender discrimination complaints properly.

But an Outside the Lines investigation has found a pattern of widespread denial, inaction and information suppression of such allegations by officials ranging from campus police to the Spartan athletic department, whose top leader, Mark Hollis, announced his retirement on Friday. The actions go well beyond the highly publicized case of former MSU athletic physician Larry Nassar.

Over the past three years, MSU has three times fought in court -- unsuccessfully -- to withhold names of athletes in campus police records. The school has also deleted so much information from some incident reports that they were nearly unreadable. In circumstances in which administrators have commissioned internal examinations to review how they have handled certain sexual violence complaints, officials have been selective in releasing information publicly. In one case, a university-hired outside investigator claimed to have not even generated a written report at the conclusion of his work. And attorneys who have represented accusers and the accused agree on this: University officials have not always been transparent, and often put the school's reputation above the need to give fair treatment to those reporting sexual violence and to the alleged perpetrators.

Even MSU's most-recognizable figures, football coach Mark Dantonio and basketball coach Tom Izzo, have had incidents involving their programs, Outside the Lines has found.

Since Dantonio's tenure began in 2007, at least 16 MSU football players have been accused of sexual assault or violence against women, according to interviews and public records obtained by Outside the Lines. Even more, Dantonio was said to be involved in handling the discipline in at least one of the cases several years ago. As recently as June, Dantonio faced a crowd of reporters who were asking questions about four of his football players who had been accused of sexual assault. Six questions in, a reporter asked Dantonio how he had handled such allegations previously.

"This is new ground for us," Dantonio answered. "We've been here 11 years -- it has not happened previously."..

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...on-michigan-state-goes-larry-nassar-case-espn

THE CRIMINAL SEXUAL assault charges against the football players that Dantonio addressed at the news conference in June stemmed from two incidents: A January 2017 report by a female Michigan State student who told police she was dragged into a bathroom during a party and forced to perform oral sex on three football players, and an April report that a defensive end had sexually assaulted a woman at her apartment, for which he was charged with third-degree criminal sexual conduct. All four players were kicked off the football team and dismissed from the university.

"We had one incident that involved three people. We had another incident that involved one. We have 120 players usually on our football team," Dantonio told reporters, again emphasizing the time span of 11 years.

The previously unreported cases that Outside the Lines discovered include three reports of physical violence and three reported sexual assaults by football players. Each was investigated by campus police.

As part of a 2014 reporting effort spanning 10 universities, ESPN requested copies of all police reports involving football and basketball players from campus and local police departments over six seasons. In Michigan State's case, the university supplied the reports but marked out the players' names -- something East Lansing police did not do. ESPN ultimately sued MSU for the release of material, and Michigan courts ruled that the school had violated the state's open records laws, awarded ESPN the unredacted records, and told MSU to pay ESPN's attorneys' fees. When ESPN submitted a subsequent records request last year, MSU took the unusual step of proactively suing ESPN to defend its withholding of the documents. A judge, in dismissing the lawsuit, wrote that a public body filing suit against a requestor could create a "chilling effect" and dissuade people from requesting records in the first place.

The reports that involve the football team:

On Aug. 31, 2009, campus police responded to a domestic dispute involving a junior offensive tackle and his girlfriend in which each accused the other of destructive and violent behavior. The woman admitted to police vandalizing some of his belongings, and he admitted to trying to drag her out of her car, during which she said he removed her left shoe and began to bend her foot down "like he was trying to break it." Both declined to pursue charges.

On Dec. 18, 2009, a woman told campus police that her boyfriend, a freshman defensive lineman, shoved her up against the wall of an elevator, pushed her to the ground, kicked her in the torso, and punched her in the collarbone and under her left eye after she smacked him in the face. The football player told police he had been trying to restrain her while she tried to hit him, and he never kicked or struck her. Prosecutors dropped the case after the woman declined to press charges.

On Jan. 17, 2010, a woman told campus police that a freshman wide receiver and another football player had raped her in November 2009, prompting her to start drinking excessively and become suicidal. She said she went to the players' dorm room after a fraternity party, and the players took off her clothes and began kissing her, to which she consented. They asked her to perform oral sex on them, but she refused. She told police that when she decided to leave and bent over to put her pants on, she was raped. The players said the sex was consensual and that they took her home as soon she said she wanted to leave. Court records show no charges were filed.

On Aug. 31, 2013, a woman told campus police that a freshman running back grabbed her with both hands around her arms and slammed her up against a wall after she asked him to say "please" when he told her to take her feet off a chair in his dorm room. The woman had a scrape on her left elbow and on the upper side of her left buttock. The football player told police he had pushed her but never grabbed or threw her up against a wall. The woman told police she only wanted him to apologize, which he did in an officer's presence, and no charges were filed.

On Oct. 29, 2013, a woman told campus police that she became extremely intoxicated at a party the night before, came back to her dorm room and passed out on her bed. The report states, "the next time she woke up, she was having her pants and legs tugged on by" a freshman football player. She said he "inserted his penis into her vagina" and "would stop and sometimes insert his penis into her mouth then return to vaginal intercourse," to which she said she did not consent. The player told police, "at no time did [the woman] tell him to stop." The woman texted him the next morning expressing regret, he told police. The woman told campus police that she did not want to seek criminal prosecution but did want to report the incident to Michigan State judicial services. No criminal charges were filed.

In May 2014, the parents of a deceased Michigan State student filed a report with campus police after they found a notebook from one of their daughter's therapy sessions. The writings detailed a 2007 gang rape that named four football players. Detectives started what would become a months-long investigation involving multiple records, analysis and interviews. In June 2015, campus police sent its report to the Ingham County prosecutor's office, which declined to file charges against any of the players, noting that the woman's writings could not be used as evidence and investigators were unable to independently corroborate her claims.

Go Gophers!!

Same source is reporting Izzo wants to finish season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is amazing is that all the stuff at Michigan St. happened after other scandals.... was anyone paying attention?

Starting to think this type of thing goes on at several (most?) P5 athletic departments.

Starting to think this type of thing goes on at several (most?) P5 athletic departments.

I mean with all the athletes and contact and such... there's bound to be someone at some time at every school who has done something bad.

The scale though at Michigan St....

Go Gophers!!

So does that mean Fleck could potentially be a target for Michigan State? Of course timing is everything. I could see him leaving Minnesota for Michigan State or Michigan.

So does that mean Fleck could potentially be a target for Michigan State? Of course timing is everything. I could see him leaving Minnesota for Michigan State or Michigan.
Maybe in 3 years when the air is clear. They have to replace everyone.

Hopefully the Lynch, football, and past basketball issues aren’t a sign of an institutional problem with more to come. I hope the school has it under control going forward.

Sources saying it’s fake news on Izzo. Dantonio could be in trouble though.

Not surprising. Have a feeling he won't be the last. Heads are gonna roll on this one.

Other heads that should roll should the girl's parents. How the parents could NOT know what was happening to their daughters is beyond the pale. Apparently girl gymnast do not talk with their mothers. And if the girls actually did talk to their mothers/parents and were ignored, they need to share the guilt.

This is going to be ugly...and rightfully so. MSU looks really bad. As another poster said, I hope this isn't going on here, I thought it was bad enough for us but it's way worse there. Dantonio is probably good as gone and if Izzo has findings I'm sure he's right behind. Public outcry will get really big and the pressure won't stop.

I almost feel like emailing PJ and begging him to not let anything close to sexual harassment, assault, etc happen under his watch. In no way does protecting these guys help the team, University, or society. I love that he looks for character and teaches it every day to his young men. I think if he sticks to it, we will be OK here. He has proven that he doesn’t tolerate breaking the rules no matter who you are.

Other heads that should roll should the girl's parents. How the parents could NOT know what was happening to their daughters is beyond the pale. Apparently girl gymnast do not talk with their mothers. And if the girls actually did talk to their mothers/parents and were ignored, they need to share the guilt.

It's worse than that. There was at least one case where a young gymnast told her parents and they basically called her a liar and just ground her down into saying it didn't happen.

Amazing how guys like Dantonio can be so stupid. PSU, Baylor, MSU, just the latest in a long line. Glad the U isn’t that stupid. I couldn’t root for Baylor, MSU, or PSU like I pull for the Gophers now if I was an alum or fan and something like that transpired.

Watching Outside the Lines re Michigan State. This is so distressing. I thank God my daughter made it through college safely.

Cue the usual suspects hyperventilating about allegations. I can almost see the OTL crew frothing at the mouth. This is not journalism.

Obviously there were multiple breakdowns at many levels regarding the Nassar cases. That is a horrible and almost incomprehensible fiasco and tragedy. The rest of the OTL article is a very long list of possible crimes and OTL didn’t seem to have information about the school’s disposition of most of them, outside of police reports and DA action/charges. They were particularly upset the school redacted names of accused students despite East Lansing police reports being directly available to them. They included a possible whistleblower’s allegations. All of this was presented as damning fact even though most of the non-criminal individual case facts or dispositions were not presented in the article. Some of it was hard to read, and if true is vile stuff.

The article did note that Dantonio threw 4 players off the team, only one of which had been formally charged with a crime. Regarding the rest of the football player allegations over the years:

It's unknown whether campus police or any university administrator ever notified Dantonio about the incidents, or if they did, whether the coach ever disciplined any of the players.

Well, maybe find out. You’re “journalists”, after all. There is always almost more to the story than these first heated and emotional hit pieces. The school is in damage control mode, and will be looking to sate the mob and has already given up the school president and AD. I doubt it stops there but this is a saga that will continue for awhile. Obviously there are probably many faulty parties in the Nassar abuses up to and including parents and coaches, medical staff, etc.

Dantonio did a press conference saying he's not leaving and any reports of sexual assult came to him through the cops.

Hopefully the Lynch, football, and past basketball issues aren’t a sign of an institutional problem with more to come. I hope the school has it under control going forward.
Minnesota has had our share of issues. This stuff kind of stuff is why AD Coyle decided a culture change was needed in athletics, and particularly football.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Top Bottom