Michigan State athletic director Mark Hollis is expected to tender his resignation

Minnesota has had our share of issues. This stuff kind of stuff is why AD Coyle decided a culture change was needed in athletics, and particularly football.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Does that mean Basketball is next?

Does that mean Basketball is next?
Lynch had his issues going back to high school. I hope that is isolated to that particular player. I'm not sure what Pitino knows it how he has handled MN situation. You hope the program and the athletes at MN do not continue this behavior, but with the issues MN has had, Gophers could end up in the media more than we want. None of how women have been treated has been good.

https://theathletic.com/223555/2018...ichigan-state-sexual-assault-reports-in-2010/

Though the NCAA has announced its intention to open an investigation into Michigan State’s athletic department, it remains unclear what exactly the purview of the investigation would be.

And, more importantly, why it’s taken so long to get involved.

NCAA president Mark Emmert was specifically alerted in November 2010 — six months after he was hired as the organization's president — to 37 reports involving Michigan State athletes sexually assaulting women.

Kathy Redmond, the founder of the National Coalition Against Violent Athletes, provided The Athletic with a copy of the letter she sent to Emmert urging him to better protect women with new, stronger gender violence policy measures.

In the letter, which was sent after Redmond and Emmert met in person in Indianapolis to discuss the topic, she specifically highlighted concerns about Michigan State. Emmert was unavailable for comment to The Athletic on Friday afternoon.

Here is the fourth paragraph of Redmond’s letter, which is dated November 17, 2010:

For example, despite recent reports of sexual violence involving two Michigan State University (MSU) basketball players, one of which admitted to raping the victim, neither man was charged criminally or even disciplined by the school. An earlier report of similar violence involving two other MSU basketball players also went un-redressed. In the past two years alone, 37 reports of sexual assault by MSU athletes have been reported, but not one disciplinary sanction was imposed by school officials against any of the men involved.

...And now, the NCAA will enter the picture.

“What are they going to look at, exactly?” Redmond said. “We know they haven’t complied with federal law. They haven’t been helpful with investigations, we know that. … Mark Emmert, when he met with me, said the NCAA can’t be ‘state actors.’ So, what is the policy that he’s going for? Or is he looking to create a different one?”

Still, Redmond said she fully supports the NCAA getting involved at Michigan State now and, in particular, probing the welfare and safety of female athletes treated by Nassar. She hopes the NCAA can help and listen to others, even if it hasn’t listened to her policy ideas or her warnings in the past.

What more is Dantonio supposed to do? After all, he had one of his assaulting players talk it over with his mother! That’s getting tough on crime!

Cue the usual suspects hyperventilating about allegations. I can almost see the OTL crew frothing at the mouth. This is not journalism.

Obviously there were multiple breakdowns at many levels regarding the Nassar cases. That is a horrible and almost incomprehensible fiasco and tragedy. The rest of the OTL article is a very long list of possible crimes and OTL didn’t seem to have information about the school’s disposition of most of them, outside of police reports and DA action/charges. They were particularly upset the school redacted names of accused students despite East Lansing police reports being directly available to them. They included a possible whistleblower’s allegations. All of this was presented as damning fact even though most of the non-criminal individual case facts or dispositions were not presented in the article. Some of it was hard to read, and if true is vile stuff.

The article did note that Dantonio threw 4 players off the team, only one of which had been formally charged with a crime. Regarding the rest of the football player allegations over the years:

It's unknown whether campus police or any university administrator ever notified Dantonio about the incidents, or if they did, whether the coach ever disciplined any of the players.

Well, maybe find out. You’re “journalists”, after all. There is always almost more to the story than these first heated and emotional hit pieces. The school is in damage control mode, and will be looking to sate the mob and has already given up the school president and AD. I doubt it stops there but this is a saga that will continue for awhile. Obviously there are probably many faulty parties in the Nassar abuses up to and including parents and coaches, medical staff, etc.

Sounds like you have not watched the OTL on this.

So does that mean Fleck could potentially be a target for Michigan State? Of course timing is everything. I could see him leaving Minnesota for Michigan State or Michigan.

Seriously, they will not buy him out of here and lets be honest, don't want him either.

I haven't seen the OTL but from what I have seen and read in the news, the allegations are damning for many involved.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Amazing how guys like Dantonio can be so stupid. PSU, Baylor, MSU, just the latest in a long line. Glad the U isn’t that stupid. I couldn’t root for Baylor, MSU, or PSU like I pull for the Gophers now if I was an alum or fan and something like that transpired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, we prosecute and vilify everyone, regardless of the truth vs. hide it institutionally like other schools. Maybe there is a happy medium somewhere and while I am ashamed at how the situation was handled by the the Kaler and Koyle Klown Show, at least it's because of the level of incompetence both men displayed, NOT that they were sweeping clear and evident issues under the rug.

Anyone compares what has happened at Minnesota last year to Baylor or MSU or PSU - say like one of the board of regents, for example -- the really need to rethink their understanding of the world.

Lynch had his issues going back to high school. I hope that is isolated to that particular player. I'm not sure what Pitino knows it how he has handled MN situation. You hope the program and the athletes at MN do not continue this behavior, but with the issues MN has had, Gophers could end up in the media more than we want. None of how women have been treated has been good.

Judge, Jury and executioner much? When discussing a culture change, is the athletic department the only place it needs to happen? What about in the administration? What about in the university itself? Nope. only in athletics....... there are no other problems at the U and only athletes do these type of things.......

Judge, Jury and executioner much? When discussing a culture change, is the athletic department the only place it needs to happen? What about in the administration? What about in the university itself? Nope. only in athletics....... there are no other problems at the U and only athletes do these type of things.......
Didn't say that, only suggested Lunch isolated Incident and he has had multiple accusers or accusations. Don't know the truth about any of it. These type of situations are why I pointed out that Coyle handled the need for a culture change. I was one of the biggest defenders of a lack of due process for the players when the whole Foot ball players suspensions were handed down, especially about newly accused. The previous situation with football seems to indicate changes needed to be made in athletics. I assumed that applied to society as a whole. It's a fine line talking about cases when you don't have all the facts. All you can do is point out an opinion. Best for all involved is don't put yourself in situations that can paint you in a bad light, or crosses a line.

Didn't say that, only suggested Lunch isolated Incident and he has had multiple accusers or accusations. Don't know the truth about any of it. These type of situations are why I pointed out that Coyle handled the need for a culture change. I was one of the biggest defenders of a lack of due process for the players when the whole Foot ball players suspensions were handed down, especially about newly accused. The previous situation with football seems to indicate changes needed to be made in athletics. I assumed that applied to society as a whole. It's a fine line talking about cases when you don't have all the facts. All you can do is point out an opinion. Best for all involved is don't put yourself in situations that can paint you in a bad light, or crosses a line.

So did Coyle actually change the culture, or the football coach? He changed the football coach. Fleck will have a significant impact on the football program. Expecting him to change the University is a tall order. Maturi was not the best AD in the world, but I do think the culture of the department, which has not been good since I set foot on campus in 1987, was not terrible. I think the culture deteriorated signficantly when Teague was brought in. Who's fault was that? Shouldn't we be looking to change that culture? Or are we willing to just overlook that fact. Yes. We are. That point has been proven.

Your advice, to avoid life - are as you put it any situation that can paint you in a bad light, or cross a line -- is not exactly actionable. You do the best you can, but any student at the University can find themselves in a questionable situation without warning. If a kid comes back to his dorm room, from bible study, and his roommate is smoking pot, and the RA walks in, did he put himself in a situation he shouldn't have, or did he simply go back to his room? The circumstances generally play themselves out and the facts of his life will probably spare him the issue, however what we learned last year is that regardless, if you're a football player, who maybe even just happens to kinda look like someone else you are guilty. Our broader culutre, earned or not, has painted a scenario that is not winnable for these kids - some of whom may be very guilty of bad things, some of bad decisions, and some simply by association. The later part is, I would argue, the largest group, but that doens't play as well on ESPN, or CNN, or in our culture.

So did Coyle actually change the culture, or the football coach? He changed the football coach. Fleck will have a significant impact on the football program. Expecting him to change the University is a tall order. Maturi was not the best AD in the world, but I do think the culture of the department, which has not been good since I set foot on campus in 1987, was not terrible. I think the culture deteriorated signficantly when Teague was brought in. Who's fault was that? Shouldn't we be looking to change that culture? Or are we willing to just overlook that fact. Yes. We are. That point has been proven.

You have very little understanding of the intercollegiate athletic culture at the U and how it developed. The U's culture of bad behavior and mediocrity goes back at least to the 1970's. It started with the mugging of the Ohio State basketball team and the decision to de-emphasize athletics and has continued pretty much unabated ever since. There is very little doubt the U would finish in the top 10 of any national poll ranking the most scandal-prone universities in America. No one has changed the athletic culture at the U yet. It has taken many decades for the U to acquire it and it will take another decade or two before we can be certain that it has been changed. It will be a process that will need to include multiple head coaches in every sport and certainly more than one U president and one AD.

Your concern for students at the U being unfairly accused of bad behavior resulting in suspension or expulsion is misplaced at best. I would guess far less than 1% of students at the U have ever been suspended, expelled, or even accused of violating the student code of conduct. The actual number is probably closer to 0% than 1%. Contrast that with the fact that by age 23 more than one third young adults in America have been arrested for a crime (although not necessarily convicted). Every time college students step off campus they are far more likely to be accused or arrested for wrong doing than on campus. By comparison to the criminal justice system in America, the justice meted out by colleges and universities through enforcement of their codes of conduct appear to be a model of fairness and due process.

America now houses roughly the same number people with criminal records as it does four-year college graduates.

Nearly half of black males and almost 40 percent of white males are arrested by the age 23.

If all arrested Americans were a nation, they would be the world’s 18th largest. Larger than Canada. Larger than France. More than three times the size of Australia.

The number of Americans with criminal records today is larger than the entire U.S. population in 1900.

Holding hands, Americans with arrest records could circle the earth three times.

https://www.brennancenter.org/blog/just-facts-many-americans-have-criminal-records-college-diplomas

Every time a college student steps off campus they are far more likely to be accused of wrong doing.

For all the typing and advocating you do it's amazing lines like that show up... how on earth do you think that means anything?

You have very little understanding of the intercollegiate athletic culture at the U and how it developed. The U's culture of bad behavior and mediocrity goes back at least to the 1970's. It started with the mugging of the Ohio State basketball team and the decision to de-emphasize athletics and has continued pretty much unabated ever since. There is very little doubt the U would finish in the top 10 of any national poll ranking the most scandal-prone universities in America. No one has changed the athletic culture at the U yet. It has taken many decades for the U to acquire it and it will take another decade or two before we can be certain that it has been changed. It will be a process that will need to include multiple head coaches in every sport and certainly more than one U president and one AD.

Your concern for students at the U being unfairly accused of bad behavior resulting in suspension or expulsion is misplaced at best. I would guess far less than 1% of students at the U have ever been suspended, expelled, or even accused of violating the student code of conduct. The actual number is probably closer to 0% than 1%. Contrast that with the fact that by age 23 more than one third young adults in America have been arrested for a crime (although not necessarily convicted). Every time college students step off campus they are far more likely to be accused or arrested for wrong doing than on campus. By comparison to the criminal justice system in America, the justice meted out by colleges and universities through enforcement of their codes of conduct appear to be a model of fairness and due process.

America now houses roughly the same number people with criminal records as it does four-year college graduates.

Nearly half of black males and almost 40 percent of white males are arrested by the age 23.

If all arrested Americans were a nation, they would be the world’s 18th largest. Larger than Canada. Larger than France. More than three times the size of Australia.

The number of Americans with criminal records today is larger than the entire U.S. population in 1900.

Holding hands, Americans with arrest records could circle the earth three times.

https://www.brennancenter.org/blog/just-facts-many-americans-have-criminal-records-college-diplomas

Wow. just. wow.

How you got here from my post, essentially a conversation about how a college football player could do everything right and still end up in trouble (and yeah, I used an on campus example, but it could be anywhere) is just wow.

I’ll spend time on it if you can vouch it is evenhanded and unslanted reporting. Are you willing to say that? If it’s anything like the print story that was linked it’s a total waste of my time.

That’s a champion-level amount of hyperbole and anatomical posterior-based statistics packed into just two paragraphs.

The fallout continues, now the interim-MSU President is resigning.

A year after taking over as Michigan State University’s interim president, former Michigan governor John Engler is on his way out, the Detroit Free Press reports.

The publication says multiple sources have confirmed Engler will resign. The move comes after MSU Board Chair Dianne Byrum called a special meeting for Thursday to address his conduct.

Engler came under fire most recently for comments he made last week to The Detroit News editorial board. One of the statements generating backlash alluded to survivors of Larry Nassar's sexual abuse enjoying public attention:

"You’ve got people, they are hanging on and this has been… there are a lot of people who are touched by this, survivors who haven’t been in the spotlight," Engler told The Detroit News Friday. "In some ways, they have been able to deal with this better than the ones who’ve been in the spotlight who are still enjoying that moment at times, you know, the awards and recognition. And it’s ending. It’s almost done.”

MSU Trustee Brian Mosallam told the Associated Press Wednesday that if Engler didn’t resign, the board was going to vote to remove him.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/michigan/report-msu-interim-president-john-engler-resigning/1706352711

Go Gophers!!

A year after taking over as Michigan State University’s interim president, former Michigan governor John Engler is on his way out, the Detroit Free Press reports.

The publication says multiple sources have confirmed Engler will resign. The move comes after MSU Board Chair Dianne Byrum called a special meeting for Thursday to address his conduct.

Engler came under fire most recently for comments he made last week to The Detroit News editorial board. One of the statements generating backlash alluded to survivors of Larry Nassar's sexual abuse enjoying public attention:

"You’ve got people, they are hanging on and this has been… there are a lot of people who are touched by this, survivors who haven’t been in the spotlight," Engler told The Detroit News Friday. "In some ways, they have been able to deal with this better than the ones who’ve been in the spotlight who are still enjoying that moment at times, you know, the awards and recognition. And it’s ending. It’s almost done.”

MSU Trustee Brian Mosallam told the Associated Press Wednesday that if Engler didn’t resign, the board was going to vote to remove him.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/michigan/report-msu-interim-president-john-engler-resigning/1706352711

Go Gophers!!

What an idiot, I was wondering how long he would last after those comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Gophers!!

I just don't get how you even get close to interim president ... and say stuff like that. WTF

I just don't get how you even get close to interim president ... and say stuff like that. WTF

Even worse is he was Governor of Michigan at one point. It’s a weird time we are going through as a society. Unless people are directly affected or it suits their beliefs, there’s a real lack of sympathy for people in difficult situations. Suffer in silence because it’s an inconvenience to me so i’ll deflect. Attacking journalism seems to be a go to these days.

Last edited:

But why was he being asked for comments last week, in the first place, I wonder?

But why was he being asked for comments last week, in the first place, I wonder?

I mean, one of the largest sex scandals (maybe the largest?) in the history of college athletics, or maybe just athletics, and maybe just colleges...and it is 12 months old, and he is the president of the university. I'm guessing the questions will continue for a while. As they should.

MSU is a dumpster fire right now. Their leadership is second to everyone.

No I don't think so. Nassar is in prison, and his trial has been over with for a while now. And I think MSU has already settled with everyone?

Not really front-burner stuff for major news outlets. So something else must've popped up recently, related to the Nassar scandal?

Even worse is he was Governor of Michigan at one point. It’s a weird time we are going through as a society. Unless people are directly affected or it suits their beliefs, there’s a real lack of sympathy for people in difficult situations. Suffer in silence because it’s an inconvenience to me so i’ll deflect. Attacking journalism seems to be a go to these days.

Oh jebus he was huh, bad judgment....

Top Bottom