Michigan State athletic director Mark Hollis is expected to tender his resignation

Joe Pa was one of the most highly respected coaches in all of sports when that story first broke, too.

Izzo was respected, but not as much as Joe Pa I don't think?

Either way, his legacy may end up just as stained.

How horrible this is that this is the 2nd B1G school to have something so bad happen. B1G has an image to consider, with lots of money at stake, I wonder if they might not get involved in some way??

The Appling/ Payne stuff has been around forever. Seemed terrible at the time but 2009 was a different time. I posted on it here but got at a huge blah from most.

Was Payne the one who befriended the little girl who died? If so, he and Izzo were idolized for that.

Was Payne the one who befriended the little girl who died? If so, he and Izzo were idolized for that.

I think that was indeed Payne. It's going to be hard to watch The Journey without being skeptical and cynical from now on.

The Appling/ Payne stuff has been around forever. Seemed terrible at the time but 2009 was a different time. I posted on it here but got at a huge blah from most.

I guess I missed that at the time. Didn’t realize that it was a public story until this.

I guess I missed that at the time. Didn’t realize that it was a public story until this.

I don't think it was "public" but people in and around the Michigan State program knew of it. I've got a few friends in that circle and they had mentioned to me that the Appling/Payne team was tainted and not worth getting excited about. I loved watching that team and after hearing those stories had to question my fandom...

Hindsight has definately made us question all of our fanboy allegiances across many spectrums recently.

I don't think it was "public" but people in and around the Michigan State program knew of it. I've got a few friends in that circle and they had mentioned to me that the Appling/Payne team was tainted and not worth getting excited about. I loved watching that team and after hearing those stories had to question my fandom...

Hindsight has definately made us question all of our fanboy allegiances across many spectrums recently.

Just win baby. Go Rizzo. Go tar heels.

Joe Pa was one of the most highly respected coaches in all of sports when that story first broke, too.

Izzo was respected, but not as much as Joe Pa I don't think?

Either way, his legacy may end up just as stained.

How horrible this is that this is the 2nd B1G school to have something so bad happen. B1G has an image to consider, with lots of money at stake, I wonder if they might not get involved in some way??

Maybe that's why Delaney brought in Rutgers. To improve its image.

Abusing players is better than abusing women. Or something.

Izzo's big claim is that he has always cooperated with any investigation. WTF....ya, he cooperated and kept abusive players and a coach on his staff. It sure looks like the MSU FB and BB programs were untouchable no matter what kind of investigation took place. As soon as there was a tough question asked, Izzo quickly stated that he wasn't going to answer the question. I hope that the press and advocacy groups really hound the MSU coaches/staff/admin and demand answers to questions. There is tension in Spartan land!

Just thinking out loud here, but if MSU can show that women on campus were also sexually abused by non-athletes; would that be an effective implementation of the UNC defense:confused:

Izzo's big claim is that he has always cooperated with any investigation. WTF....ya, he cooperated and kept abusive players and a coach on his staff. It sure looks like the MSU FB and BB programs were untouchable no matter what kind of investigation took place. As soon as there was a tough question asked, Izzo quickly stated that he wasn't going to answer the question. I hope that the press and advocacy groups really hound the MSU coaches/staff/admin and demand answers to questions. There is tension in Spartan land!

St Sparty!!!

And all the wins that come with it.

Just thinking out loud here, but if MSU can show that women on campus were also sexually abused by non-athletes; would that be an effective implementation of the UNC defense:confused:

That's just crazy enough to work!

The argument is that he’s not there to be the sex police, he’s there to coach basketball.

That is SO WRONG, but so creepishly right on target.

I have always believed in the adage, "innocent until proven guilty", and was never truly comfortable about the rash rush to suspend the fb players, and then with Lynch? Well, in the back of my mind I couldn't help thinking, but what if he is innocent?

But in light of what is all going on out there, and all of the across the board indictments of universities and big time college sports, with fans saying "it happens at EVERY college", I honestly felt like I could say, "Not at UMn!!!" and that is because we basically "overreact" to this kind of thing. Never will be comfortable with the overreacting and making people prove their innocence instead of the other way around, but in today's environment its keeping us out of trouble.

Just sucks that the world is so screwed up that it has come to this.

I have always believed in the adage, "innocent until proven guilty", and was never truly comfortable about the rash rush to suspend the fb players, and then with Lynch? Well, in the back of my mind I couldn't help thinking, but what if he is innocent?

But in light of what is all going on out there, and all of the across the board indictments of universities and big time college sports, with fans saying "it happens at EVERY college", I honestly felt like I could say, "Not at UMn!!!" and that is because we basically "overreact" to this kind of thing. Never will be comfortable with the overreacting and making people prove their innocence instead of the other way around, but in today's environment its keeping us out of trouble.

Just sucks that the world is so screwed up that it has come to this.

The U is looking responsible right now. Hopefully, there isn't other stuff that was covered up.

If Michigan State has a 2010 BIG10 Champs banner or reference anywhere in the Breslin Center after this, do we deserve our '97 banner?

If Michigan State has a 2010 BIG10 Champs banner or reference anywhere in the Breslin Center after this, do we deserve our '97 banner?

I don't think anyone has ruled anyone retroactively ineligible.

I understand why everyone becomes interested when this culture intersects with big time athletics, but it is sad that no one wants to talk about the complete disrespect of women and propensity towards violence in our culture. If they happen to play basketball or football at a University then we all shake our heads and talk about what a failure big time athletics is and perhaps it is, but this happens everyday in our cities and receives little attention. Sexual aggressiveness and physical violence towards females is big news on the East Lansing campus, but take it from someone who spent time at some of our fine urban high schools, it is pretty commonplace.

I understand why everyone becomes interested when this culture intersects with big time athletics, but it is sad that no one wants to talk about the complete disrespect of women and propensity towards violence in our culture. If they happen to play basketball or football at a University then we all shake our heads and talk about what a failure big time athletics is and perhaps it is, but this happens everyday in our cities and receives little attention. Sexual aggressiveness and physical violence towards females is big news on the East Lansing campus, but take it from someone who spent time at some of our fine urban high schools, it is pretty commonplace.

This is a dumb take.

They just don't want to do it here.

Sports are supposed to be an escape from this stuff. I don't watch sports to have political or social discourse. I do it so my wife and kids don't bother me and I can enjoy a beer, popcorn, hotdog etc in my basement or at the park.

No surprise these conversations are avoided on a sports message board. Few of us are equipped or have the appetite for that conversation when we click on our favorite sports message board website.

I don't think anyone has ruled anyone retroactively ineligible.

Right. I was kind of joking and trying to make this about us but, if you look relatively at the actions on both sides, would you rather have your players/grad assistants have a few papers written for them or sexually abuse a female and have it covered up? Or take fake classes for that matter (bringing in all UNC haters)?

I think the collusion with their campus EEOA is what makes this most interesting to me.

Right. I was kind of joking and trying to make this about us but, if you look relatively at the actions on both sides, would you rather have your players/grad assistants have a few papers written for them or sexually abuse a female and have it covered up? Or take fake classes for that matter (bringing in all UNC haters)?

I think the collusion with their campus EEOA is what makes this most interesting to me.

Level playing field.

Excuses for not winning are for losers.

The Undefeated: It’s time for Tom Izzo to stop deflecting and start talking

This may be the most difficult column I’ve ever written. Which is saying something since I’ve tackled some of my most personal and difficult issues including my parents’ drug addictions and my survival from a rape attack when I was a preteen.

Through thorough investigative reporting, ESPN’s Outside the Lines has uncovered “a pattern of widespread denial, inaction and information suppression” at Michigan State that extends far beyond the horrific crimes committed by Larry Nassar, the former team and USA Gymnastics doctor who will die in prison after sexually abusing girls and women for decades.

Or, to be completely blunt, Michigan State seems to have invested a considerable amount of time protecting its image and reputation while disregarding the welfare of young women at their most vulnerable and in desperate need of support.

So, let me start with complete transparency. Tom Izzo, Michigan State basketball coach, is a friend. I’ve known him since I was a student at MSU. In my junior year, I took Coaching Basketball taught by former Spartans coach Jud Heathcote. I learned the intricacies of the sport from one of the best basketball minds at the college level. And on the rare occasion that Coach Heathcote, now deceased, had to miss a class, he let Izzo, his most trusted assistant, take his place.

A few years later, I returned to East Lansing to cover Michigan State football and basketball. Izzo was head coach by then. Michigan State became a premier basketball program under his leadership, and Izzo became one of the most prominent people in Michigan.

I am struggling to reconcile a person I’ve known for 20 years with the person I see now — a man awkwardly deflecting questions about how he handled sexual assault and violence allegations against some of his former players.

After his team’s emotional and hard-fought win over Maryland on Sunday, Izzo was asked by ESPN investigative reporter Tisha Thompson the questions many of us have wanted to ask since Outside the Lines released its investigative report.

Thompson inquired why his former assistant Travis Walton, who as a player Izzo had often lauded for his leadership and maturity, was still allowed to coach despite facing criminal charges for punching a female student in the face at a bar. After the case investigation was over, Walton pleaded guilty to an unrelated civil charge of littering. But Walton’s name surfaced again in a gang rape allegation a few months later, and he mysteriously left the program in 2010.

In response to Thompson, Izzo said he couldn’t recall why Walton left the program. He also was asked about two other former players, Adreian Payne and Keith Appling, who were accused of raping a woman in her dorm room. No charges were ever filed, but Outside the Lines was able to interview the woman, who accused MSU of mishandling her case. She ultimately filed a complaint with federal authorities about MSU. Then there is the damning video of Payne, also obtained by Outside the Lines, giving a police detective his account of what happened. It is deeply disturbing, to say the absolute least.

“There will be a time for it, but it won’t be right now,” is what Izzo told CBS after the Maryland win when asked whether he wanted to respond to the allegations. “I’m going to try to figure out how to celebrate this win and still pray for the people that have gone through a lot more than I’ve gone through.”

And when Thompson again pressed him in the postgame news conference and again as he made his way to the locker room, Izzo would only say that he’d cooperated with every investigation. It was clear he wasn’t coming off that talking point.

I exchanged text messages with Izzo on Monday because I was selfishly hoping for something — anything — that might give me more clarity.

Izzo declined to elaborate beyond what he’d already said to Thompson. He texted: “I’ve always appreciated our friendship, yet I understand you have a job to do. Someday I will be able to talk. I am sorry.”

I believe real friendship is the ability to tell a friend something she doesn’t necessarily want to hear. And Izzo’s response just isn’t good enough.

Maybe it’s asking too much at this point. I’m sure both Izzo and football coach Mark Dantonio, who has also been accused of burying sexual assault allegations against his players, have likely been warned about what they can and cannot say so as not to expose themselves or Michigan State to further legal action.

But it’s impossible not to be disappointed by Izzo’s non-response to these charges, not just because of our personal relationship but because he is the face of Michigan State University. Even more so now that the university president and athletic director each stepped down within days of each other last week.

http://theundefeated.com/features/m...h-tom-izzo-stop-deflecting-and-start-talking/

Go Gophers!!

This is a dumb take.

They just don't want to do it here.

Sports are supposed to be an escape from this stuff. I don't watch sports to have political or social discourse. I do it so my wife and kids don't bother me and I can enjoy a beer, popcorn, hotdog etc in my basement or at the park.

No surprise these conversations are avoided on a sports message board. Few of us are equipped or have the appetite for that conversation when we click on our favorite sports message board website.

I don't think that most are not equipped to have these conversations, but after reading your post, it is clear that at least some are.

CBS: Tom Izzo choosing to stay silent doesn't help the issue

zzo has developed a strong relationship with the press, earning widespread respect over the past 25 years because of how transparent and trusting he is with media. (In this regard, he is an aberration in his profession.) What makes his comment above so surprising is to hear that he might be choosing to withhold even broad information or personal statements for reasons that remain unclear. The previous thinking was that Izzo was muzzled by attorneys. To hear him Wednesday night was to hear otherwise. And knowing who Izzo is, it makes his choice look more stubborn than shrewd.

It goes against who he is.

The public deserves to know how Michigan State -- not even/only the men's basketball program necessarily, but the athletic department or the school itself -- handled sexual assault allegations against Spartans basketball players. The public deserves to know if the story laid out is accurate in how it painted the school as a negligent conglomerate when it came to dealing with sexual and physical assault accusations against Michigan State student-athletes.

Former MSU basketball captain Travis Walton released a confidently worded statement Tuesday categorically denying all accusations against him detailed in ESPN's story.

If details in ESPN's story are not accurate, as Walton and former basketball player Keith Appling have declared, then it's time Michigan State assembled a press conference, even a press release -- anything to move this story toward a resolution. At this point, Izzo is in deflect mode. It's a strategy that has only continued to bring noise and speculation around him, his program and the school.

"The one thing I've done my whole career, I've had great respect for the media," Izzo said when asked about Walton's statement by an ESPN reporter Wednesday night. "And you have the right to ask. And unfortunately I have no additional comments. I've given my comments, I have no additional ones. I will cooperate with the investigation, as I always have with any investigation. That's about all I'm going to say about it."

Izzo was not asked if Walton did indeed live at Izzo's house around the time Walton was accused of physical assault and, in a separate incident, a gang rape. Coincidentally, last Wednesday -- two days before ESPN's "Outside the Lines" report was published -- a story in the Lima News revealed that Walton was apparently staying in Izzo's basement as he completed his degree in 2010. If that is true, it is one of many lingering issues Izzo has hovering above his head.

Izzo was also questioned about a timeline for when he expects to reveal more.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...hoosing-to-stay-silent-doesnt-help-the-issue/

Go Gophers!!

You will see defenders of Michigan State point out that in many of these instances no charges were filed by the county prosecutor, so in their minds, nothing untoward ever happened. But the county prosecutor at the time, Stuart Dunnings, was convicted of a felony for his involvement with prostitutes while he was the prosecutor, and there were a lot of other fishy things going on in his office at the time.
http://https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2016/11/22/former-prosecutor-dunnings-sentenced/94285114/

I don't think that most are not equipped to have these conversations, but after reading your post, it is clear that at least some are.

Your being passive aggressive and framing my post as an insult to peoples or my intellect. You’re misunderstanding my post.

The fall out continues, now the interim-MSU President is resigning.

A year after taking over as Michigan State University’s interim president, former Michigan governor John Engler is on his way out, the Detroit Free Press reports.

The publication says multiple sources have confirmed Engler will resign. The move comes after MSU Board Chair Dianne Byrum called a special meeting for Thursday to address his conduct.

Engler came under fire most recently for comments he made last week to The Detroit News editorial board. One of the statements generating backlash alluded to survivors of Larry Nassar's sexual abuse enjoying public attention:

"You’ve got people, they are hanging on and this has been… there are a lot of people who are touched by this, survivors who haven’t been in the spotlight," Engler told The Detroit News Friday. "In some ways, they have been able to deal with this better than the ones who’ve been in the spotlight who are still enjoying that moment at times, you know, the awards and recognition. And it’s ending. It’s almost done.”

MSU Trustee Brian Mosallam told the Associated Press Wednesday that if Engler didn’t resign, the board was going to vote to remove him.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/michigan/report-msu-interim-president-john-engler-resigning/1706352711

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom