Falcons drop food prices and make more money

Similar to Atlanta, this is a very competitive sports market. Just as the Falcons have done, it is essential to be innovative. It isn’t just a cold calculation of lowering concession prices in order to increase volume. It’s about catering to a niche market in the area.

I’m not sure the best way to do that. I don’t know all of the challenges and opportunities. But if I were suddenly in-charge I would terminate the concession agreements in-place and create cross-promotional relationships with craft breweries and food trucks (or restaurants).

This market offers opportunities that are not available to other universities.

Similar to Atlanta, this is a very competitive sports market. Just as the Falcons have done, it is essential to be innovative. It isn’t just a cold calculation of lowering concession prices in order to increase volume. It’s about catering to a niche market in the area.

I’m not sure the best way to do that. I don’t know all of the challenges and opportunities. But if I were suddenly in-charge I would terminate the concession agreements in-place and create cross-promotional relationships with craft breweries and food trucks (or restaurants).

This market offers opportunities that are not available to other universities.

Agree. Make it an experience similar to Saints games. Lots of craft beer and unique food selections with decent prices. I think that would attract a segment that aren't huge Gopher football fans, but want a social experience. Those Saints games are packed and it's a good time but I'd wager less than 20% of a Saints crowd could tell you who the opponent is or what the score is.

Minnesotans are a practical people, we don't like being ripped off. We don't like splurging. And we don't like low quality. Ticket prices alone might not keep people away, but as an out-stater, that when I choose to go to a game means a 3 hour drive down there, and a 3 hour drive home, so gas in the tank adds to the price, and when I know a beer is going to cost me 10 bucks, I bought a hot chocolate instead that came in a Gopher mug that I got to keep. If beers were 5 bucks, I would have bought 4 of them, lol. So they would have gotten 20 bucks out of me, instead of 7 and not had to give me a commemorative Gopher mug, lol. They'd have been way ahead. And we ate before we left and hit a classic restaurant where a lot of Gophers fans stop, on the way home. But if the food was reasonable, I would have gotten something at the Stadium. For me it's not something I do more than once a year, so I would like to enjoy everything about the experience.

And no one says you have to lower the price 50%, why not 25% like someone already suggested? And the idea of bringing in specialty breweries on a cross promotional kind of thing is a great idea!!!

Agree. Make it an experience similar to Saints games. Lots of craft beer and unique food selections with decent prices. I think that would attract a segment that aren't huge Gopher football fans, but want a social experience. Those Saints games are packed and it's a good time but I'd wager less than 20% of a Saints crowd could tell you who the opponent is or what the score is.

Haha. I agree with this comment in general, but especially like the part about knowing the score at the Saints games. Went to a game last summer and couldn't tell you who won or even if it was a close game. Probably didn't actually watch more than an inning or two. But I know that it cost me about forty bucks for two tickets, a few beers, and some tacos. We also played twister on the field after the game. Good cheap date.

If the Gophers lost a fanbase over the last 60 years it was about the Ws and Ls.

This is true. So how do you build it up again without the Ws? Doesn't cost have to be part of the equation?

Winning is great. It hasn't happened here yet, though. Hoping for more wins is a bad marketing strategy. For what it's worth, attendance was great in 2015 with an attractive schedule and coming off a successful season. Then the second large price increase occurred. We won more in 2016, but that didn't help attendance. Changing coaches didn't help attendance.

Build a fan base that is sustainable in down years, then worry about raising prices.

Wins? Cost? Meh. If you want to increase attendance then hang more oars in local businesses. It shows public excitement for the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long lines for expensive, low quality food - what's not to like? I remember at Metropolitan Stadium, they had hot dog vendors coming through the stands. That would really cut the lines.

One simple idea that I liked: when we went to the game @ Maryland in 2016, they had a sticker on each souvenir soda that allowed for 1 refill. I forget what the price was; it may have been $1 more than a souvenir soda at TCF. In any event, I liked that idea because it seemed like you were at least getting a little bit of value & "getting 2 for 1." I forget what the price for the big soda at TCF is, but if it's $5.50, I don't think it would be a terrible idea to increase that price $0.50 to $1.00, but then allow for a free refill. Without knowing the full economics of soda cost, revenue & profit, it seems as if the cost is in the cup & not the soda, so charging even 50 cents more would more than cover the cost of the refill. Plus, not everyone would take advantage of that refill.

Not to go off on just a soda thing, but just an example of one thing I think they can do at games that is, in my opinion, fan friendly, but may also benefit the U's bottom line.

Without knowing the full economics of soda cost, revenue & profit, it seems as if the cost is in the cup & not the soda, so charging even 50 cents more would more than cover the cost of the refill. Plus, not everyone would take advantage of that refill.
A 32 ounce soda costs something like $0.30-$0.40 per fill.

These figures are from memory so take it with a grain of salt... When I worked for a time for a food service company we would pay around $60-75 for a box of syrup that would make about 60 gallons of finished product. The amount of cups for that cost about $8-10. Water, electricity, maintenance, CO2 are negligible costs, so let's say conservatively that the materials cost is $100. 60 gallons equates to 240 32 ounce sodas that if they are charged at $5.50 would make $1,320 in revenue for a profit of $1,220.

As it is now, the food prices are so rediculous, that we always eat right before the game, and then cram snacks into our pockets for use during the game. Lower prices would mean I would spend money on concessions, so I guess my story backs this up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep in mind U of M once lost money selling beer

Top Bottom