Early College Football Rankings #1-130 (#77. Minnesota)

Any national media is gonna need the Gophers to show them something before they get any love... probabbly the right call.

How can they rank us 77th and not 76th when we’re clearly better than the team in 76th?

In all seriousness these articles are just burners to let the fan bases rabble with no real insight. Is it spring ball yet?

So we're basically a G5 team going into the next season.

Who can blame them? We had a mediocre season, and one of the most important positions, QB, is still undetermined at this point. Most people thought we'd at least have a QB who had been a starter on the roster, but that changed. Things may look better after Spring Ball, especially if PJ has picked a starting QB, but maybe not.

We are a 6 win team next year. We are young on offense. Our defense will be better most definetely.

I’m in the group that thinks assistant coaches are important. Losing our two best recruiters and our two most highly acclaimed assistants is troubling when they choose to leave after one season with new facilities and a decent recruiting class signed. Nearly all of our assistants are now WMU or Rutgers connected. We just hired a very inexperienced coach to his first D1 job. Hopefully, spring brings year one this year.

Harrumph. I have us at #61.

I’m in the group that thinks assistant coaches are important. Losing our two best recruiters and our two most highly acclaimed assistants is troubling when they choose to leave after one season with new facilities and a decent recruiting class signed. Nearly all of our assistants are now WMU or Rutgers connected. We just hired a very inexperienced coach to his first D1 job. Hopefully, spring brings year one this year.

Troubling? We lost them to Texas A&M and Michigan. Both have even better facilities and better recruiting classes. It's not like they took equivalent positions at Kent State and Louisiana-Monroe just to get out of here. Neither of the coaches had a connection here, nor did they have a connection to Fleck and they got offers at helmet schools. I'm not sure why people think this is the next coming of Timmy B. Cripes sakes, Florida State lost their head coach to ATM. Nobody thinks they're going to fall apart.

I'm not saying assistants don't matter or that I'm happy they left. I wish both would have stayed. But if I was either of them I'd have left also. Why wouldn't you in their positions?

The biggest thing to me is whoever replaces them needs to run (essentially) the same system. That was the mistake Brew made. He kept changing the type of offense and defense, while not having the talent to run those offenses and defenses nor recruiting to them. As long as they have a vision of what they want to run, recruit to that vision, and replace those assistants with decent assistants, they will be fine.

Top Bottom