Q&A: RB Jason Williamson on Gophers Commitment: "It has always been a dream of mine."

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: RB Jason Williamson on Gophers Commitment: "It has always been a dream of mine."

GopherHole Q&A: Owatonna Junior RB Jason Williamson on Gophers Commitment: "It has always been a dream of mine."
By Chris Monter

http://main.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/879536?referrer_id=331171

Jason Williamson, a 6-foot-2, 205-pound junior running back from Owatonna (MN) High, committed to Minnesota last month. Williamson was recently the second ever junior to win the Minnesota Gatorade Player of the Year.

Williamson helped lead the Huskies to a 12-1 record as they won the Class 5A title, defeating Elk River 63-26 in the Prep Bowl. Williamson rushed 23 times for 213 yards and five touchdowns and added a 67-yard kickoff return touchdown. His six touchdowns tied the Prep Bowl record for the most combined touchdowns in a game.

Williamson finished with 2,326 yards on 312 carries and had 38 rushing touchdowns. He caught 30 passes for 452 yards and four receiving touchdowns and intercepted six passes. Williamson scored 19 touchdowns in five playoff games, rushing for 943 yards.

Gopher Hole caught up with Williamson to talk about recent commitment and upcoming senior season.

Gopher Hole: You committed to Minnesota the day after the early signing period for the senior class. What was the main reason that you decided to make that decision then?

Jason Williamson: I think that being just growing up in this state and being a Gopher fan my whole life, so it has always been a dream of mine to play there and I just decided to pull the trigger, I guess, right away.

Gopher Hole: You also committed the same day as Cole Kramer of Eden Prairie. I don’t know if you knew it at the time. He committed the same day and led his team to the 6A title and you guys won the 5A title. Have you guys gotten to know him much at all?

Jason Williamson: We have been talking a little bit ever since we both did it. We also knew we were going to, I’m pretty sure. We have been talking a little bit, mainly just talking about how we have to keep all the other in-state guys here.

Gopher Hole: I know that is one of the things that Coach Fleck and his staff have said that they want to keep the best in-state players in Minnesota. Is that something important to you, playing for the homestate school?

Jason Williamson: Yes. I think it is really good and really important to get all those guys here, because we have a lot of talent in Minnesota and all of them will be able to help the team in a big way.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you committed so early, I don’t know how involved you were with the recruiting process, but what other schools were you hearing from besides Minnesota when you committed?

Jason Williamson: NDSU, SDSU and Iowa. That was pretty much it besides Minnesota.

Gopher Hole: Had you had a chance to go to many camps the past few years?

Jason Williamson: I went to Minnesota’s camp last year. That was the only one I went, too.

Gopher Hole: Who was the main Minnesota coach who recruited you?

Jason Williamson: Coach Simon. That is his area.

Gopher Hole: He is a Minnesota guy. Was that important to you that he knew what Minnesota guys are like, because he is from Farmington, not a really big school. You are not from a super bog school. Was that important to you, your relationship with him?

Jason Williamson: Yes. I think that he felt the same way that I did about watching the Gophers growing up and having been a little bit disappointed in the way that they were producing their wins, I guess you could say, but this coaching staff is going to really good and he convinced me on that and I believe him and it is just exciting.

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to go to many Gopher game this past year?

Jason Williamson: I went to I think four or five. I went to Buffalo, Middle Tennessee, Michigan State, Maryland and Illinois.

Gopher Hole: What were your impressions of the team this year?

Jason Williamson: They were young and that intrigued me a little bit coming in as a freshman, so that intrigued me that I’ll be able to get some looks at that level early, so that was good to see.

Gopher Hole: The Gophers didn’t have quite the season that they were hoping to, but they have a great recruiting class that they signed early. What are the expectations you think for next year. You’ll still be in high school, but what are you expected out of the team next year?

Jason Williamson: I think that they are going to make a really big jump next year with the class that they’ve got now. I think that there are going to be quite a few freshman playing with the guys that are experienced that can teach them a little bit, so it is going to be fun to see.

Gopher Hole: How about your junior year. Obviously, you had a great year. You were the Gatorade Player of the Year, only the second time that has ever happened, that a junior was named that. You won the 5A title, beating a really good Elk River team. How pleased were you with your junior year?

Jason Williamson: It is something to look back on, but I am just looking forward to doing a little bit better next season. I am just trying to improve myself. I am trying to get a little bit bigger and just have fun while I’m doing it.

Gopher Hole: What would you like to get up to for next year?

Jason Williamson: I would say about 215, maybe 220. If I can do that and go up to Minnesota and even be able to pack on a little more, that would be great.

Gopher Hole: I know that Minnesota is looking at you as a player who can play multiple positions like linebacker, defensive back or running back. Do you have a preference at all?

Jason Williamson: I think my natural position would be running back, but I would be honored for them to put me anywhere else, too that they would be able to see me play there, too.

Gopher Hole: Owatonna produced another Minnesota player in Andrew Stelter (a senior defensive lineman). Do you know him at all? I know that he is a few years older than you.

Jason Williamson: I don’t know him that well, but he texted me the day that I committed and said that if I have any questions that I could text him, so I will definitely probably use that resource.

Gopher Hole: What has he said to you about Minnesota?

Jason Williamson: I haven’t really talked to him about that. His dad, Kevin Stelter, is my math teacher and he talked to my parents a little bit and said that Andrew really liked Coach Fleck and all the staff. He likes his vision. I like his vision, so it is a lot of the same thoughts I had.

Gopher Hole: What was the reaction of your friends and family when you did make the commitment?

Jason Williamson: They were really excited for me, too. It is good to have all that support. They are all Gopher fans, too, so they were really excited.

Gopher Hole: You are one of the rarities. You are a multi-sport athlete. How much do you think that helps you playing basketball and running track in terms of footwork and things like that?

Jason Williamson: Yes, it definitely helps basketball with being agile, jumping a little bit higher. All that kind of stuff and track just increasing my speed and acceleration. It just helps getting other muscles involved other than just the ones I use in football.

Gopher Hole: Being a hometown kid, what is it going to mean to you when you walk out on the field for the first time in 2019 as a member of the Gophers?

Jason Williamson: I don’t really know yet, but it is probably going to be incredible, something that I’ll be able to remember forever.

This guy is going to work hard and go places in life. Good guy!

Top Bottom