Season Ticket Renewal Expectations

agreed. not a fan of the direction of the fan base right now. it's a shame.

Many people said they were done with Gopher Football after the 2016 season. Here the fans who just wanted a new Head Coach didn't believe them. Then they went 5-7, beating Nebraska (!) but losing 7 other Big Ten games. Not even trying to score in 2-3 of them (playing Croft on only one healthy leg, running a no-gain Wildcat 12-13 times in another) pretty much negated any excitement the general public had for the coming of Fleck and Company.

Now what looks like a great recruiting class (God Bless having a Minnesota roommate) you'd think would help sell some seats. However, the tax changes, the total cost of good tickets; even a lousy schedule that should guarantee a 7-9 win season, is also lousy enough that it won't drive anybody to see it.

Now add in the fact that sitting out this season will in no means stop anyone from being able to buy Season Tickets in 2019. Could mean that selling those 21,000+ Season Tickets from 2017 could be the very best the U can do. Offering a chance to share a meal with A.D. Coyle certainly ain't gonna sell any more them.

Coach Fleck wrote off last season, he's on record as saying that it won't be until 2019 before we see any real results on the field. Could be another reason why he's had some good assistant coaches bail on him. Says it won't be 'til 2020 before we're in the hunt for a Big Ten Championship.

Claeys HAD to go. It was handled badly but he had to go. Lowering the donation amount would have been the only way to sell tickets last year. Winning 7-9 games last season would have been the way to see tickets for 2018. Having a Head Coach tell people that he's not concerned about winning games while he was losing them was pretty stupid and didn't help the people trying to sell tickets.

Not sure if renewing your Season Tickets is the right thing to do or not. It's probably not the smart thing to do, but many of us just aren't that smart.

Purdue could MAYBE be exciting depending on our record and their record when we meet. Not likely though.

By not renewing and then jumping on the bandwagon at a later time, you lose your Gopher Points and have to start from zero. Just renew them, because I believe, down the road you are going to wish you had.

Schedule

Well, if we go 4-0 into Iowa, I hope the trophy game along with homecoming will make that a decent turn out. However, I agree, that schedule is doing us no favors as far as attendance draw.

We will be underdogs at home vs. Fresno State as they were a top 25 team last year. And at Maryland we will be underdogs for sure, so 4 and O would certainly be an excellent start.

We will be underdogs at home vs. Fresno State as they were a top 25 team last year. And at Maryland we will be underdogs for sure, so 4 and O would certainly be an excellent start.

I agree with your point that 4-0 is an excellent start for this team. My point is that wins against Fresno St and Maryland won't amp up watercooler talk about this team, this may not be Missouri but we are definitely a show me state, It will take beating Iowa and being at least 4-1 at that point to get anyone off this board discussing this team as relevant.

I remember how everyone on GH was all lathered up about us being 7-0 heading in to the Iowa game last year....... :banghead::banghead:

I remember how everyone on GH was all lathered up about us being 7-0 heading in to the Iowa game last year....... :banghead::banghead:

Yep and how just by hiring Fleck we are gonna sell thousands of new season tickets too...:rolleyes:

Remember the rules:

- The Gophers are better than anyone outside (or even inside) MN thinks.
- The Gophers only get better.
- Other teams only get worse.
- Northwestern who?
- Wisconsin is due to regress (again).
- Michigan St is just plain over despite years of success that we haven't seen ... can't remember when.

I don't think I've even gotten a renewal email request yet...anyone else? I'm in for my two but will renew late in the process.

I got mine in December. They talked about the tax. Change and suggested to renew before the end of the year. That is what I did and I took the 6 month plan. I paid the first 3 months in Dec. to get the donation in and the rest I will pay in 2018.

By not renewing and then jumping on the bandwagon at a later time, you lose your Gopher Points and have to start from zero. Just renew them, because I believe, down the road you are going to wish you had.
I've had season tickets since 1995. I've made a few voluntary donations and now donate 1200 for tickets. Last year my Gopher points got me a calendar.
Gopher points do not weigh at all in my decision for renewal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I've had season tickets since 1995. I've made a few voluntary donations and now donate 1200 for tickets. Last year my Gopher points got me a calendar.

I don't care how many Gopher points you have or don't have, the reward should never be a calendar.

By not renewing and then jumping on the bandwagon at a later time, you lose your Gopher Points and have to start from zero. Just renew them, <b>because I believe, down the road you are going to wish you had.</b>

With all due respect, I have been hearing this for years. Brewster's recruiting. TCF Bank Stadium, Fleck, etc. I am a die hard Gopher fan, but have come to the realization that tickets will never be some hot commodity that makes me regret giving up decades of Gopher Points. Not In This town - even when (not if) we start winning. It is what it is, and I'm OK with it. We will never expand the stadium, and I'm OK with that too. I have never understood why some have such a desire for their passion to be shared by others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I see this as a very ominous sign. GH is a collection of diehards and more are fading out and not renewing. Who will fill those seats is hard to say

Meh. A lot of the people who post here would rather sit on their hands and complain about the Gophers not being good than actually do anything about it (like committing to season tickets and otherwise donating to the football program).

How the He!! do you rate CWCWCW?:confused: A calendar. Wow! This really sucks as I didn't get one.

Seriously, Mrs Bayfield and I are in limbo at this time regarding renewing our longtime ST's. Probably wait until the last minute.

Meh. A lot of the people who post here would rather sit on their hands and complain about the Gophers not being good than actually do anything about it (like committing to season tickets and otherwise donating to the football program).

I always love the battle cry of those that buy ST that they are somehow making a difference by doing so. Sorry, you're not. Just spending more $.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is absolutely true, "meh" aside. :cool:

In our case we have given thousands and thousands of dollars to the U. Even have our name of the stadium. Now we're on the fence because, except for the people who sit around us and go to the game with us, it doesn't seem like anybody at the U gives a damn whether we are at the games or not. We have a coach who doesn't seem to care whether we win or not. He's written off one season and he's seems perfectly willing to right off the next one too. That's with one of the very weakest schedules out there.

Yet Fleck was the guy many people around here told us would be helping sell tickets and put people in the seats. Calendars and 15% discounts aside who does care over there?

Come to think of it , the U does have some people who care about us.

We keep getting invitations to estate planning seminars there. So they care about our money at least.

The home schedule is awful, but on the bright side, shouldn't the team generate many home wins, sending fans home happy?

San Jose State was a top 25 team in 2012 and we beat them in 2013. Colorado State was a top 25 team in 2014 and we beat them on the road in 2015.

We have an established culture of winning these non-con games. Since 2011, 20-2, with TCU only losses.

We killed Maryland on the road in 2016. Would have beat them here in 2017 if Winfield or McGhee were available. The receiver that killed us, Moore, went early to the NFL after this season, as did their AllBig DB, Jackson, who had the pick against us to seal the win. Their offensive coordinator just left for FSU job.

wow, haven't been on here in a bit and this was first thread I opened...very surprised at the number of non-renewals here. This annual thread usually talks mostly about renewing, moving sections, etc and it seems like most of the comments or at least many are suggesting of not renewing...that's very unusual for this site/crowd but given the schedule, tax implications, wait and see on Fleck, etc I can certainly understand. I didn't renew starting last year due to family schedule conflicts (all 3 kids in fall sports) and hated eating so many tickets/stress of finding takers. I really hope this trend reverses with Fleck turning program into winning tradition again and we find ourselves talking about how hard it is to find tickets.

wow, haven't been on here in a bit and this was first thread I opened...very surprised at the number of non-renewals here. This annual thread usually talks mostly about renewing, moving sections, etc and it seems like most of the comments or at least many are suggesting of not renewing...that's very unusual for this site/crowd but given the schedule, tax implications, wait and see on Fleck, etc I can certainly understand. I didn't renew starting last year due to family schedule conflicts (all 3 kids in fall sports) and hated eating so many tickets/stress of finding takers. I really hope this trend reverses with Fleck turning program into winning tradition again and we find ourselves talking about how hard it is to find tickets.

Not renewing doesn't mean not supporting.

Fact is, it's a better deal to buy off of stubhub even if you go to every game ....

Not renewing doesn't mean not supporting.

Fact is, it's a better deal to buy off of stubhub even if you go to every game ....

everybody has to make their own decision, based on their family circumstances and finances. In a perfect world, all of us would be so wealthy that we could all have season tickets and not worry about the cost. That's not reality.

If you feel it's important to purchase season tickets to show your support for the program, more power to you. I salute you. BUT - that does not make you a "better" fan - it just means you have a different situation or made a different decision.

In my case, I work every Saturday, so it's very difficult for me to attend games in person. (I also live about 2-and-a-half hours away from the Cities). And - to be blunt, I'm cheap. My #1 priority is putting money away for retirement. If I won the Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstakes, I would love to buy season tickets. But, barring some dramatic change in my financial status, I will be watching games on TV and talking smack on Gopher Hole during games.

Purdue could MAYBE be exciting depending on our record and their record when we meet. Not likely though.

If you like football generically then Brohm's offense is pretty damn fun to watch regardless of the product Fleck puts on the field.

Fleck and Co.'s play-calling is the single most boring thing I have seen at Minnesota since I started watching under Mason. Heard plenty of complaints about it here as well, but the dude is a killjoy for football loving Minnesotans. 2+ passing plays from 1st and goal every time. Boring run blocking schemes, prevent defense, and repetitive play-calling. If it ends up working great, but holy **** last season sucked to watch from the stands.

Looking forward to seeing the new QB. We'll be back for season 15.

Top Bottom