Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how much mom and dad are pushing for Iowa State? Or maybe they want to keep him close to home. We shall see.

I presume that’s mom in some Gopher gear???

Wonder how much mom and dad are pushing for Iowa State? Or maybe they want to keep him close to home. We shall see.

Ames is only a 3hour drive directly south of the Twin Cities on I-35. If it weren't for Iowa's stupid policy on refusing to give/provide reciprocity to neighboring state students, it would probably have the second most Minnesota students of any DI school in the nation. Might still, anyway. Though guessing the North Dakota schools are #1 and #2.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

The initial 2021 rankings were released. https://247sports.com/college/minne...ophers-Targets-in-the-2021-Top-247-131037928/

Kaliakmanis breaks in as the 177th overall player in the initial 2021 247 rankings, and the eighth highest-rated Pro-style quarterback. Athan is the second-highest rated quarterback for Minnesota in the Internet era, just behind Clint Brewster in 2007.

I have 3 quick reactions. 1. The Gophers had already focused on players who are now highly-rated. 2. Great work in Illinois.
3. I really like it that our 3 are already recruiting!

All 3 2021 commits have now been rated by 247 Sports

Athan Kaliakmanis, QB - 4 star (91 247, .9293 247 Composite)
Sam Jackson, ATH - 3 star (88 247, .8800 247 Composite)
Dino Kaliakmanis, WR - 3 star (84 247, .8400 247 Composite)

MarQueis Gray was rated 112th in the country by Rivals in 2008.

For the life of me I'll never understand how they came up with Clint Brewster so high in the 247 Composite rankings history. I have followed recruiting closely for that entire time and the buzz of Gray vs Brewster wasn't even in the same stadium.

Clint Brewster
High 3 star on Rivals
Low 4 star by ESPN
4 star on Scout

MarQueis Gray
Mid 4 star on Rivals
Low 4 star on ESPN
4 star on Scout

MarQueis Gray was rated 112th in the country by Rivals in 2008.

The service that ranks non-existent recruits? Got it....

And the statement was clearly using the 247 composite rankings and was accurate.

NFL comparison on 247 is Kirk Cousins. I guess we’ll take him.

Interesting. Cousins is more of a pure pocket passer. Someone like Wentz, Josh Allen or Justin Herbert is more who he reminds me of. Taller guy who is a good pocket passer but can also run a bit. Not saying he'll be as good as any of them but his style of play is more like those guys than Cousins.

And the statement was clearly using the 247 composite rankings and was accurate.
Did 247 exist in 2007 and 2008?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

No, it didn't say 247 composite - that was what you implied. It wasn't accurate, which is why I made the comment.

Last edited:

I like that we're blaming John for exactly quoting what came out of the story he linked to:

"Kaliakmanis breaks in as the 177th overall player in the initial 2021 247 rankings, and the eighth highest-rated Pro-style quarterback. Athan is the second-highest rated quarterback for Minnesota in the Internet era, just behind Clint Brewster in 2007."

So the beef should be with Burns

I like that we're blaming John for exactly quoting what came out of the story he linked to:

"Kaliakmanis breaks in as the 177th overall player in the initial 2021 247 rankings, and the eighth highest-rated Pro-style quarterback. Athan is the second-highest rated quarterback for Minnesota in the Internet era, just behind Clint Brewster in 2007."

What a shock - Burns isn't being truthful. I've never seen that from him before.

I didn't see any quotes, only plagiarism. Has anyone ever seen JG and RB in the same room at the same time?

What a shock - Burns isn't being truthful. I've never seen that from him before.

Serious question (I've seen those same inconsistencies) - do you think he does it due to carelessness (sloppy reporting) or intentionally lying?

Serious question (I've seen those same inconsistencies) - do you think he does it due to carelessness (sloppy reporting) or intentionally lying?

Mostly related to reader comprehension from what I’ve seen. How this thread is about anything other than how stoked people are to be landing the guys committed in the 2021 class to this point is incomprehensible to me.

I think it was pretty obvious in this case he was referring to the composite. He never said Athan was the highest rated gopher QB by any recruiting service which would have clearly been a lie.

I think it was pretty obvious in this case he was referring to the composite. He never said Athan was the highest rated gopher QB by any recruiting service which would have clearly been a lie.

Of course it was obvious. Some people are dense and just looking for an argument.

When you say "internet era" to me that implies since any of the internet-based recruiting sites have been running. Not just one in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom