Who should be on the list?

My whole point with all of this, pointing out the 4 year conf totals and how each coach basically fell flat in their 5th seasons, is to point out the DIFFERENCE between Pitino and those others.

This year, without the injuries/suspension, would have FAR OUTSHINED all of those previous guys 5th seasons.

Pitino had this program TRENDING UPWARDS

Did Clem at year 5? No. He put all his eggs in the 1989 & 90 basket, basically robbing the future for short term success. Took him til year 8 before he finally had another conf season record over .500.

And even if you can ignore the success he did have with the 1997 team, he still followed that up with back to back 6-10 seasons in 98 and 99.

Just poor class/roster management.

Monson had decent seasons in year 3 and 4 and 6, but seasons 1, 2, 5, 7 & 8 were HORRIBLE. 4,5,3,5 & 3 wins???

Monson got us to start hoping only trend us seriously downward. 21-43 his last 4 seasons???

Tubby started out the best, yet NEVER ONCE cracked the .500 in conference barrier, and 14 games under .500 his last 3 seasons showed the downward trend he had us on.

Pitino made some mistakes early on, granted, and those mistakes helped make his 3rd season end up worse than it might have otherwise had he just concentrated more on building for the future, but that's hard to do when your predecessor supposedly got fired despite having arguably the best season since 1990.

But by that 3rd season, many of us Gopher fans could see the nucleus forming of what would become a pretty good group of guys, and last year was just the first taste, and it tasted good. This year was supposed to be even better.

But then Curry was out for the year, then Dupree injured his leg, then Mason missed a game, then Lynch got suspended almost the same day as Coffey injured his shoulder. Dupree's injury apparently was getting worse, even Murphy got taken out of a game. I'm not sure why but there have been 4 games that Harris didn't even play, 3 games that Bakary didn't play and 12 games that Gaston hasn't even played.

13 scholarship spots, times 24 games equals 312 games, include Stockman sitting out with Curry, and all those games I mentioned players missing and our players have only played in 227 of the 312 games. Is that even 70%???

Remember them ? Of course i do. Anyone who scouted high school players and AAU knew. You know their names it is not that long ago but no need to throw them out there. Do your own research , pretty easy. Same on defensive stats, not your secretary. Said i was in favor of Tubby being gone. He was 14 under .500 in conference his last 3 ? Richard is in danger of being even worse than that his last 3 here in a few weeks. Thanks for letting me know that you do not even look for a identity in a program a coach tries to build. Wow.

Do my own research?? I'm not the one trying to make the case that Pitino has no intregity when it comes to recruiting.

I'm VERY FINE with the guys he's had on last year's and this year's squad, as far as "integrity" goes. Maybe not talent so much?

If you aren't willing to post stats to back up your argument that Clem's teams had a defensive identity going back all the way to 87, than you shouldn't stick your opinion out there thinking everyone should just bow to your opinion.

Because Clem going 6-30 his first 2 seasons in conf doesn't look like incredible defense to me.

And you trying to use THIS season as evidence to back up anything just makes you a shameful pr1ck.

As for you being so WOWWED that I don't look for a team's identity??? Dude, I'm a fan, not a coach. I leave the search for team's identities to coaches or fans more knowledgeable than I am.

I'm more concerned with Pitino's recruiting. As it has improved, so has the talent in the lineup, and the character issues are much less of a problem, too. Last year we were very good at defense, I guess I assumed THAT was our identity? And this season we started out as a very high scoring team and had we not had all of the injuries and the suspension, I assumed we'd score a lot of points vs B1G competition as well, and that we'd do good at defense, maybe not as good as last year with Springs on the team, but given time, guys like IW and Hurt and Harris hopefully would have improved on their defensive games. And once we got Bakary and Gaston off the roster, that improvement of our defense could have continued.

Give this current lineup it's health, and they'd be able to defend better, ALOT better. Half of them are just not experienced enough and guys like IW and Harris were brought in to bolster our offense, or they are playing hurt you pr1ck.

If Curry was in the lineup, and Lynch, along with everyone else, this team would be able to outscore the vast majority of its opponents, with great interior play leading to lots of rebounds and blocks and teams resorting to taking too many outside shots, and gaurds able to drive and score, drive and dish, or just pass until good shots come up from the perimeter, etc.. A great interior game helps the perimeter game. And all of that driving to the basket and those offensive rebounding leads to other teams fouling a lot. If Mason & Dupree are both healthy, their perimeter defense would be much improved, and IW? Well, I'm sure his would have improved as the season went as well.

You want an identity? I'll give you one, this coach produces FIGHTERS, guys who never give up.

1st season? won an NIT Title. Lots of teams give up once they miss the Big Dance.

3rd season? beat a highly ranked Maryland team near the end of the season to finish it off on a good note.

4th season? Lost 5 in a row but never gave up, came back to win 8 in a row! Saving the season!

5th season? Coffey omes back from injury way too early because he just wants to help the team win. McBreyer plays in all 11 conf games so far, despite not even being able to practice because of his leg injury. Fitz had TWO surgeries, missed TWO seasons, and never gave up. Fans quit showing up to games this season, yet players keep playing hard. Mason aggravated his hip injury that he had offseason surgery on and plays in pain. Murphy sprained his ankle the one game, but came back to finish up the game.

My whole point with all of this, pointing out the 4 year conf totals and how each coach basically fell flat in their 5th seasons, is to point out the DIFFERENCE between Pitino and those others.

This year, without the injuries/suspension, would have FAR OUTSHINED all of those previous guys 5th seasons.

Did Clem at year 5? No. He put all his eggs in the 1989 & 90 basket, basically robbing the future for short term success. Took him til year 8 before he finally had another conf season record over .500.

And even if you can ignore the success he did have with the 1997 team, he still followed that up with back to back 6-10 seasons in 98 and 99.

Monson had decent seasons in year 3 and 4 and 6, but seasons 1, 2, 5, 7 & 8 were HORRIBLE. 4,5,3,5 & 3 wins???

Monson got us to start hoping only trend us seriously downward. 21-43 his last 4 seasons???

Tubby started out the best, yet NEVER ONCE cracked the .500 in conference barrier, and 14 games under .500 his last 3 seasons showed the downward trend he had us on.

Pitino made some mistakes early on, granted, and those mistakes helped make his 3rd season end up worse than it might have otherwise had he just concentrated more on building for the future, but that's hard to do when your predecessor supposedly got fired despite having arguably the best season since 1990.

But by that 3rd season, many of us Gopher fans could see the nucleus forming of what would become a pretty good group of guys, and last year was just the first taste, and it tasted good. This year was supposed to be even better.

But then Curry was out for the year, then Dupree injured his leg, then Mason missed a game, then Lynch got suspended almost the same day as Coffey injured his shoulder. Dupree's injury apparently was getting worse, even Murphy got taken out of a game. I'm not sure why but there have been 4 games that Harris didn't even play, 3 games that Bakary didn't play and 12 games that Gaston hasn't even played.

13 scholarship spots, times 24 games equals 312 games, include Stockman sitting out with Curry, and all those games I mentioned players missing and our players have only played in 227 of the 312 games. Is that even 70%???

You are what your record says you are. Don't give me this "we would be better, but we're unlucky" crap. You are what your record says you are. Don'y give me this "trending upwards" BS when we have clearly taken a step (or maybe 2 or 3 steps) backwards.

If you want to go making excuses, it's pretty easy to make excuses for Tubby and Monson. For example, in Tubby's fifth season he was down Mo Walker for the whole year and only had Trevor for 7 games. Do you think that we would have had a better record with both of them healthy the whole season? I'd say you are crazy if your answer to that isn't yes. A full season of Trevor/Mo probably makes that team a NCAA tournament team instead of a NIT team. And Monson took over an absolute dumpster fire after the scandal. He righted the ship, and while he wasn't all that successful on the court he still deserves a ton of credit.

Clem putting all his eggs in the 88-89 and 89-90 basket is fine with me. Why? Because he made a sweet sixteen and elite eight in those two seasons. All Pitino did was make the tournament. Not even close to as successful as Clem's good seasons. Clem delivered big-time during those seasons so it is much easier to accept having a couple down years after success like that. Pitino's one NCAA tourney appearance without even winning a game doesn't buy him the same level of acceptance of a bad season, and it shouldn't.

You are what your record says you are. Don't give me this "we would be better, but we're unlucky" crap. You are what your record says you are. Don'y give me this "trending upwards" BS when we have clearly taken a step (or maybe 2 or 3 steps) backwards.

If you want to go making excuses, it's pretty easy to make excuses for Tubby and Monson. For example, in Tubby's fifth season he was down Mo Walker for the whole year and only had Trevor for 7 games. Do you think that we would have had a better record with both of them healthy the whole season? I'd say you are crazy if your answer to that isn't yes. A full season of Trevor/Mo probably makes that team a NCAA tournament team instead of a NIT team. And Monson took over an absolute dumpster fire after the scandal. He righted the ship, and while he wasn't all that successful on the court he still deserves a ton of credit.

Clem putting all his eggs in the 88-89 and 89-90 basket is fine with me. Why? Because he made a sweet sixteen and elite eight in those two seasons. All Pitino did was make the tournament. Not even close to as successful as Clem's good seasons. Clem delivered big-time during those seasons so it is much easier to accept having a couple down years after success like that. Pitino's one NCAA tourney appearance without even winning a game doesn't buy him the same level of acceptance of a bad season, and it shouldn't.

Seems all you have to do to get fans to defend Monson and Tubby and Clem, is to supposedly attack them, lol.

Maybe I should attack Pitino and then you'd defend him too?

I've been a Gopher bb fan since my very first memories as a child, watching Muss's best teams! on a Black and White TV with a screen just a tab bigger than the laptop I am using to type this message with.

So I was fine with Clem putting all his eggs in the 88-89 and 89-90 basket, too. I was one of the few Gopher fans who believed in Clem during his first 2 seasons when he went 6-30 in conference. I spent a huge percentage of my monthly spending cash on renting a car to drive 4 hours to get to that Elite 8 game down at the SuperDome. Was supposed to have 3 guys going with me splitting the costs 4 ways, but all 3 bailed on me. Granted none of them were Gopher fans, but I was, so I went anyways, all by myself, 4 hours to a city I'd never been to, to sit all by myself amongst strangers to watch my very first Gopher game ever. Believe me, Clem Haskins did more to rip my heart out than he did to most. I had just moved to a foreign country, was one of the first of my generation from my town to join the military, and it was this band of rag tags that Clem brought together that helped me while I was over there. Gave me a way to feel a piece of home while over there. The fact that I ruffled some feathers and got a General here in the states to order my E-8 there in Germany to send me home to the States immediately seemed the reason they made sure to send me to what I heard was one of the worst posts in the states, Fort PUKE in Lousyana. But seeing as I got the last laugh in that it allowed me to be close enough to go to that Elite 8 game, well looking back, I felt it was sort of destiny.

So to cut this short and get to the point. I never had any issues with Clem. And if he wouldn't have taken the U's money and ran off and hid after the whole scandal thing, I might feel sorry for him, sort of. But the fact he later resorted to cheating doesn't detract from the facts of the other things he did and didn't do.

If you are so open to make excuses for Monson and Tubby AND Clem, how on earth can you possibly hate Pitino so much???

Did Clem's 1989 team lose its best defensive player just before the tourney???

And who did the Gophers play in the 2nd round? I mean, I'll brag about that Sweet 16 forever, because this kind of thing happens to other teams as well and no one is going to take anything away from their own team, but seriously, just between two Gopher fans, that 2nd round opponent was a gift. Siena played the best game of that program's entire cbb history maybe? Probably? And not as if KSU was a cbb super power either. Just keeping it real.

So last year's team loses its best defensive player, and like I predicted, just like the year before vs highly ranked MSU, MTSU would have to shoot the lights out from deep to beat us, and just like vs MSU, that is what they did. And just like the year before, they went into the 2nd round and did NOT shoot the lights out and lost big.

So you can try to downplay last year all you want, but I was there all season long, just like I was during the 1988-89 season, and in a one game elim tourney format, we all know the best teams do not always advance, and as easy as it is to use NCAA tourney results to measure programs against each other, and over long periods of time it is also pretty fair to do so, taking any one single NCAA tourney result and holding it up as PROOF of a team's greatness or failure, is irresponsible in the least, but arguably absolutely ridiculous in many cases.

And I was there cheering on both Monson and Tubby, too. And yes, Monson had sanctions to deal with, and he got us through them, I'm not trying to totally piss on his or Tubby's OR Clem's resumes. Just showing how Pitino's compares, and if you like your program trending UPWARDS, then how his resume compares FAVORABLY to all 3 of theirs.

Would Monson and Tubby's resume's look better had they not suffered through some bad luck? Sure, same with Clem's. But nothing changes the fact that Monson was trending DOWNWARDS, with both his last 2 seasons being 2 of his worst, despite sanctions easing up over time and having more scholarships, etc.. And nothing changes the fact that Clem turned to cheating and even if he hadn't, was so up and down, it was like being on a roller coaster. And nothing changes the fact that Tubby's last 3 seasons were his worst three and his recruiting efforts and results were both trending DOWNWARDS!!!

And in contrast to all 3 of those guys, Pitino's recruiting efforts and results have been trending UPWARDS, and before the injuries/suspension, the team's defensive efficiency was trending UPWARDS as well. This year was a small step back from last year, but last year was a very good year defensively and its obvious to everyone the reason behind the small step back being the loss of Springs. And the issue with character issues has been trending in the very positive direction as well.

Pitino seems to carry himself very well and is a likable guy. His players get better during the season and from year to year. And its not like he forced himself into the position, we hired him knowing his lack of experience.

And no matter what anyone wants to believe, he did orchestrate one of the greatest turnarounds in NCAA cbb history, and was named the B1G Coach of the Year.

And no matter how you feel about the guy, its simply unfair to ignore the MASSIVE effect losing such a huge and important chunk of the lineup can and has had.

When did this all happen?

Just as the team was getting ready to embark on a 5 games in 11 days marathon with 4 of those 5 games being road games essentially. And its not like they had a week off to prepare for this 5 game stretch either. They played Illinois just 3 days before starting that 5 game stretch and 2 games the 6 days prior, and followed those 5 games with another home game 3 days later. So it was 5 games in 11 days whether you start with the game on the 10th or the 13th, and 6 games in 14 days and 7 in 18 and 8 in 21.

They kept trying to play despite not even being able to practice because of their injuries or the pain they were playing with.

But even a full roster would get a little wore out and tired during a stretch like that.

But they weren't even close to full roster.

Curry, Stockman and Lynch didn't play in any of those 8 games. That brings the roster down to 10 scholly players, and only 4 of our 6 best players.

Coffey only played in 2 of those 8 games, and shouldn't have played, it was originally announced that he would be out until yesterday, but he wanted to play, so he was allowed to play but not practice, and he reaggravated the injury and then couldn't play vs Iowa. So even in the 2 games he played he was not even close to 100%.

So essentially the team was down to just NINE players, and just 3 of our Top 6 players.

Oh, but wait, McBreyer hasn't been allowed to practice either and only plays in games, and obviously in pain, and is no where near 100%.

So now we are down to what? 8 and a half, and only 2 and a half of our Top 6?

OH WAIT? Even Gaston only played in 6 of the first 11 conf games. And I believe he played in the first 2 or 3.

So he may have only played in half of those 8 games?

So now our 8 and a half players is closer to only 8?

And Harris missed at least one game, too. Just to add injury to insult.

EIGHT GUYS!!! If you count McBreyer and Gaston as sort of one maybe?

7 healthy players IF you consider Mason and Murphy to be healthy, as Mason missed a game early in the season, something related to what he had off season surgery for, and might not be 100%? Murphy twisted his ankle and got taken out of a game, but came back. He's a tough guy, who knows if he's at 100%???

SO, take all of that into account, and combine it with 5 games in 11 days, 4 of them being road games, and even playing at home the next game, seeing as it was only 3 days later, just can't be seen as enough to make a difference.

The team won 1 of those 5 games, btw. Was ahead at half time in 3 of the 4 losses, but just got gassed. They are beat up and tired, and I challenge anyone else in the country to try to even compare to the height of the hurdles and the # of hurdles that this team is trying to leap over, while hobbled.

The closest game of the 8 was the IU game, THE FIRST game, just a 4 point loss at home, just 4 days before the start of the 5 games in 11 days stretch. The previous game was also a home game vs Illinois, so not the kind of game that would have wore them out.

And we weren't playing frigging scrubs either during that 5 game stretch, Purdue, OSU, Maryland and even NW this year, with the only home game being vs the Best team in the country some believe, but at least the best in the B1G. And the one scrub we played, even on the road, we beat, in PSU.

And now today, ON THE ROAD, vs a Top 25 ranked team???

BadgerGopher guy always wants me to tell him what Pitino's, what this team's identity is. I told him...

THEY NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!

Do they instill that in themselves, or does Pitino instill that fighting spirit in them?? Either way, he's responsible for bringing those guys here to Minnesota.

Btw, "you are what your record says you are"?????????

Have you EVER watched sports, or played sports, in your entire life????? OMG that is the most horrible statement I've ever seen EVER.

You are what your record says you are. Don't give me this "we would be better, but we're unlucky" crap. You are what your record says you are.

In the movie, "The Bad News Bears", the very first one, you are the guy who coached the team that played the Bears in the Championship Game.

But worse, he at least felt bad for having such a twisted F'd up attitude. I doubt that you do.

You are the parent that gets arrested for assaulting a ref at a T-Ball game or for starting a fight and assaulting other parents in the stands, aren't you?

Go on, admit it, admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

That's the truth, man. I've gotten sick and tired of people excusing poor management on account of bad luck, both with Smith and Pitino. Every program experiences bad luck; stuff like that is almost a base condition in college sports. Let me tell you about my daughter's college gymnastics team and all their injuries, but they're still sitting with a winning record because they have enough talent and resilience in their roster composition that they've been able to manage.

And what is bad luck anyways? People have characterized the Devoe Joseph, Royce White, Kevin Dorsey, Zach Lofton, etc. situations as bad luck. Is it really? In some cases maybe, but it could also be the matter of managing difficult people, which is a universal concept in the real world. Hoiberg's best team at ISU hinged on successfully managing White, and Fred kept him on the narrow path. That's the kind of thing successful managers do. Excuses get you nowhere.

That's the truth, man. I've gotten sick and tired of people excusing poor management on account of bad luck, both with Smith and Pitino. Every program experiences bad luck; stuff like that is almost a base condition in college sports. Let me tell you about my daughter's college gymnastics team and all their injuries, but they're still sitting with a winning record because they have enough talent and resilience in their roster composition that they've been able to manage.

And what is bad luck anyways? People have characterized the Devoe Joseph, Royce White, Kevin Dorsey, Zach Lofton, etc. situations as bad luck. Is it really? In some cases maybe, but it could also be the matter of managing difficult people, which is a universal concept in the real world. Hoiberg's best team at ISU hinged on successfully managing White, and Fred kept him on the narrow path. That's the kind of thing successful managers do. Excuses get you nowhere.

Good post and you did it with two paragraphs.

I think you've MADE YOUR POINT. Ably assisted at the appropriate time by the CAPSLOCK KEY.

And just for good measure OMG!

+1. Thank God for the ignore feature.

Am I longwinded? lol Seriously? OF COURSE I AM. My Native American name translates to "Long winded one".

But the thing is, those who honestly don't care, whose minds are made up, won't be convinced by one liners OR posts of just 2 short paragraphs. So I'm not trying to communicate or reason with them. The ones who really do care and are open minded, might read my posts? And there are other posters here that say the same things I do, in much shorter posts, so I don't go out of my way to shorten mine, I just type until I've said all that is on my mind at the time and then press submit. Posters respond to them, so at least one sucker reads them, lol.

I can post shorter posts, but over time I'll always end up posting longer ones, too. It's just how I am. So if you don't like long posts, then either scroll, or do the ignore function thing, lol.

Btw, "you are what your record says you are"?????????

Have you EVER watched sports, or played sports, in your entire life????? OMG that is the most horrible statement I've ever seen EVER.

"You are what your record says you are."

- Bill Parcells (doesn't know anything about sports)

"You are what your record says you are."

- Bill Parcells (doesn't know anything about sports)

Yep, and Bob Huggins has used that one before, as well.

Translation? Quit making excuses for anything and everything.

Bob Huggins? Seriously, that's all you got?

So you two, SS & bizzle22, both of you consider UCF as the Natl Champs in football then, right?

I mean, if "You are what your record says you are"? They are the only undefeated team? So the vast majority of cfb fans out there would disagree with that statement.

And I think that both the Gopher Softball team and the Gopher Men's Hockey teams would think that quote is pure bs/nonsense. These are two of the furthest extremes from each other. The one team had the best record in the entire country and didn't even get a Top 16 seed? Apparently very few people outside of Minnesota felt UMn's "record said who they were". While the hockey team? You have to scroll down to the #38 ranked team in the PWR to find a team with more losses than they have, YET, they are ranked #9 in the country and there are a double digit # of teams ranked BELOW Minnesota in the standings with a better record than UMn. So apparently hockey people don't agree with that bs either?

I could list dozens of examples in the polls in just a couple sports that would show that NO ONE out there seems to believe such simplistic nonsense.

But you Pitino haters just keep on hating him, I guess? Does that make you sleep better at night?

Bob Huggins? Seriously, that's all you got?

So you two, SS & bizzle22, both of you consider UCF as the Natl Champs in football then, right?

I mean, if "You are what your record says you are"? They are the only undefeated team? So the vast majority of cfb fans out there would disagree with that statement.

And I think that both the Gopher Softball team and the Gopher Men's Hockey teams would think that quote is pure bs/nonsense. These are two of the furthest extremes from each other. The one team had the best record in the entire country and didn't even get a Top 16 seed? Apparently very few people outside of Minnesota felt UMn's "record said who they were". While the hockey team? You have to scroll down to the #38 ranked team in the PWR to find a team with more losses than they have, YET, they are ranked #9 in the country and there are a double digit # of teams ranked BELOW Minnesota in the standings with a better record than UMn. So apparently hockey people don't agree with that bs either?

I could list dozens of examples in the polls in just a couple sports that would show that NO ONE out there seems to believe such simplistic nonsense.

But you Pitino haters just keep on hating him, I guess? Does that make you sleep better at night?

Not sure where out of my post you came to conclusion I hate Pitino, but sure, knock yourself out, go with that!

Are you the guy that used to have MinnesotaPride moniker on GH?

Not sure where out of my post you came to conclusion I hate Pitino, but sure, knock yourself out, go with that!

Yes. He was also #1djurjfkdksnsksks something too. He swoops in for awhile and saturates the board, then disappears. Vicious cycle. This time I learned to put him on ignore. It’s too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you are a Pitino hater but I also don't think he is that classic excuse maker or that those who defend him here are either.
He can improve and I think he will. This has been a year of unbelievably poor fortune. I'm not sure that there is a lot that Pitino or any other coach could have done about it. The roster he had put together, including Curry was a darn good one, the best one we have had in many years. The team that played last year was not a great but a good defensive team (#22) and I think we could have gotten there again or close to it. But it just wasn't to be. I am interested to see how the team plays the year out from here.

I don't think you are a Pitino hater but I also don't think he is that classic excuse maker or that those who defend him here are either.

You are correct. I wasn't referring to Pitino making excuses, he's avoided that and has remained refreshingly candid, as he's always been.

Like you said, the key now is get better the rest of the season. Don't let the season spiral completely out of control. There's still time to salvage something out of it. Even as currently constructed, in my opinion Gophers have enough pieces remaining to beat anyone in the Big Ten, save for Purdue or Michigan State. Everybody else, OSU included, I wouldn't rule it out.

Didn't mean to mislabel YOU SelectionSunday as a Pitino hater.

I WAS directing my comments about UCF towards you. But my comment directed to Pitino haters was directed to, well, to those who KNOW that they are Pitino haters I guess.

But I see how you got mixed into that and for that I am sorry.

And yes, I used to post as MinnesotaPride and also as UMn#1inHkCbGlfbb...etc.

Didn't mean to mislabel YOU SelectionSunday as a Pitino hater.

I WAS directing my comments about UCF towards you. But my comment directed to Pitino haters was directed to, well, to those who KNOW that they are Pitino haters I guess.

But I see how you got mixed into that and for that I am sorry.

And yes, I used to post as MinnesotaPride and also as UMn#1inHkCbGlfbb...etc.

:drink:

Curry = Top 6 = Out
Lynch = Top 6 = Out
Coffey = Top 6 = Out
------------------------------------------------------------
McBreyer = Top 6 = not even practicing, foot boot, plays in pain.
------------------------------------------------------------
Murphy = Top 6 = easily can be double teamed now
Mason = Top 6 = playing in pain? maybe.

IW = Has proven he's Top 7 lately. Good job Pitino, developing this young man's game

Fitz = Many games? Non-existant? meaning 0 pts, 0 rbs, 0 assists. But a couple of fouls.
Fitz part 2 = Out for 2 ssns. Nothing against guy. But's he's only just recently contributing

Hurt = Needs time. Can we really depend on him vs an OSU or Maryland or NW or Neb?

Harris = Needs time.

Hey, individually any one of those last 4 guys can have great games, but to beat B1G competition we need 5 guys to be playing at least adequately or pretty well all at the same time on both offense and defense. Just not a lot of room for error.

Konate/Gaston? Without these 2, we are down to 6 healthy players and McBreyer.

So 7 players, 3.5 that honestly can not be depended on.

I'd SO LOVE to be wrong about this, because that would mean McBreyer wasn't hobbled and our frosh were totally playing like B1G regulars and Fitz was finally ready to show the wait was worth it, and Hurt was much better than some have said about him, but if I am, that could mean it IS Pitino's fault that they aren't winning and that means we have to suffer until the end of next year before we get ANOTHER new coach to come in and who knows how long that guy would need to get things to where I thought we were last year.

BUT... even if these 7 players were good enough to beat 2/3rds of the B1G, who deserves credit for this? Who recruited them? Who coached/developed them and got them to the point of being ready, just the 7 of them, to beat 2/3rds of the B1G??

Yeah, that would be Pitino.

So you Pitino haters out there just can't win, can you? You either have to give him a pass because of the extent of the bad luck...OR, you have to give him credit for incredible recruiting and player development.

Haters never win but i would not rate his recruiting as incredible or the player development. He has improved recruiting over Tubby. Player development average, terrible breaks this year, horrible job developing a culture of defense. I still think this team can win some meaningful games this year, including tonight against Nebraska who i expect to beat.

OK, for all of you who seem to think that "OMG, its year 5 already, OMG, how could Pitino not be doing better? All of our previous coaches DID SO MUCH BETTER IN CONF, blah, blah, blah"????

First 4 years comparison

Clem = 26 conf wins. Followed that up with a WHOPPING FIVE wins in his 5th season.

Monson = 26 conf wins. Followed that up with a WHOPPING THREE wins in his 5th season.

Tubby = 34 conf wins. Followed that up with a WHOPPING SIX wins in his 5th season.

Pitino = 27 conf wins. Followed that up with what should have been one of our best seasons in a while.

5th season comparison???

5 for Clem
3 for Monson
6 for Tubby
? for Pitino

Now did any of those previous 3 coaches have such a hobbled team? 3 guys completely missing, 1 not allowed to practice, others missing games here or there?

And for all of you Tubby Lovers out there, Tubby was FOURTEEN games under .500 his last 3 seasons.

All that matters, IMO.

Clem in that stretch - sweet 16, followed by an Elite 8.
Tubby - 2 NCAA tournies, bounced both times in first round
Monson - nothing but losing
Pitino - 1 NCAA tourney, bounced in first round.

Clem is the best coach out of that bunch and its not close.

Haters never win but i would not rate his recruiting as incredible or the player development. He has improved recruiting over Tubby. Player development average, terrible breaks this year, horrible job developing a culture of defense. I still think this team can win some meaningful games this year, including tonight against Nebraska who i expect to beat.

WOW, you want it all, don't you?

You want to claim RP's recruiting is not all that special.
You want to claim RP's player development is just average.
You want to claim "terrible breaks this year"
You want to claim "horrible job developing culture of defense"

YET

You want to claim, "I still think this team can win some meaningful games this year"???????

Seems to me like you are just trying to set RP up so that if they don't win, you can rip on him some more.

If his recruiting is not great, meaning the players he's bringing in are not that great, and his player development is not that great, and 1/3rd the team is injured, where do these expectations of winning meaningful games come from???

You are ignoring the fact that Clem made the dance in the 94 and the 95 season. Also that 99 season you are talking about, he was also in the dance. One more thing, even the years he missed in between that stretch, they were right around 20 wins each year and generally right on the bubble in years they didn't. They were at least worth watching every year during his tenure.

All that matters, IMO.

Clem in that stretch - sweet 16, followed by an Elite 8.
Tubby - 2 NCAA tournies, bounced both times in first round
Monson - nothing but losing
Pitino - 1 NCAA tourney, bounced in first round.

Clem is the best coach out of that bunch and its not close.

Well, first of all, Tubby's team's did not get bounced both time in the 1st round. They beat UCLA, remember?

And Clem was 30 games below .500 in conf play after his first 7 seasons.

Hell, give him the benefit of the doubt? Lets drop his first 2 seasons in conf play.

From year 3 to year 10. A straight up .500 in conf.

And 8 games below .500 his last 2 seasons at the helm.

The 88-89 team was special, just like last year's team was, because it came out of nowhere, in a sense. Did a Twins kind of last to first kind of thing, and we love that kind of thing around here, apparently. But to be honest. That team got a huge gift in a Siena team in their first ever NCAA appearance EVER. And apparently they had Stanford's #. Their only win vs a Top 25 ranked team since their 1st round win over Stanford, was vs Stanford in 2008, 20 years later.

So basically, Clem put all his eggs in one basket, sold the short term future of the program down the drain for one almost glorious run to the FF in 90. Then out of frustration in his own lack of recruiting abilities, sold the LONG TERM FUTURE of the program down the drain for one actual glorious run to the FF in 97.

Sorry, I'll take Pitino, and his putting in the hard work to build the program up right, over that every day and twice on Sundays.

You are ignoring the fact that Clem made the dance in the 94 and the 95 season. Also that 99 season you are talking about, he was also in the dance. One more thing, even the years he missed in between that stretch, they were right around 20 wins each year and generally right on the bubble in years they didn't. They were at least worth watching every year during his tenure.

94 & 95? The EIGHTH and NINTH seasons of his tenure here?

94 & 95? The first two seasons that he was PROVEN guilty of cheating???

Top Bottom