Who should be on the list?

No one.

There isn't anyone that is going to succeed until the athletic culture changes at the U. They will hamstring even the strongest coach. Also, it is getting to the point now that there isn't anyone worth their salt that wants to take on this job anymore. There's been a few names through here and some hot up and comers, none of them have done anything. Clem was the last one to do any good. Unfortunately, the University sabotaged him and ran him out on a rail. That was the start of the decline of this program. It's been hovering at a little better than piss poor for quite a few years now. Let Richie try to build something for another couple years. Changing coaches all the time hasn't accomplished anything. If he can't hire someone from the Midwest or someone that is a part of the MN basketball scene.

What?! That wasn't his own making? Wow!

Explain how the athletic culture is bad?

The U has invested $166 in a brand new facility for student-athletes, complete with new practice facilities for both men's & women's basketball & football. With the old football space re-purposed for other sports.

Is it because we expect athletes obey the rules of conduct for all students at the U?

Stand behind your programs, players, and coaches. Don't take it upon yourself to suspend, etc when others don't deem anything wrong. Among other things.

There is a reason that this University has had more scandal than almost any other in the US. And it's not because it isn't happening other places.

What?! That wasn't his own making? Wow!

Best coach this University ever had. If you can't see that, you haven't been watching long enough.

I don't care if someone wrote papers for his players. Got to any University that wins at all and this is happening on the regular.

Well yes I don't like the off court issues, but in reality if that doesn't happen and we were healthy this year were looking at 2 years in a row in tourney and next year a for sure possibility. I know we were gonna be bubble team but the more I watch big ten this year it's terrible. I don't think we would have had a problem making tourney. I know some of the stuff I brought up is probably why your giving him one more year. If it ends up being a dumpster fire next year I'm on board with ya. I just want to see positive yardage next year.

Thats why i believe and i think gopherbbdude said it best. Longevity is the answer. I mean don't get me wrong if in 2 years this is going nowhere, let's change coaches, but changing all the time like you say isn't getting us anywhere. We have new facilities, we have a coach who wants to build this program, let's see how this goes before starting over again and again.

Another 2 years to see where this is going? Regardless of the suspensions and injuries there sure looks like a lot more issues with where the program is at 5 years in. Namely what is the identity of the team? There isn't anything you can look at that say they do that well on a consistent basis.

I don't think anyone said he will be fired or should be fired this year but it appears many believe we don't need another 2 years to figure it out where this is going.

I agree but i think this year is a pass because we were heading in right direction until the misfortune. I had it figured out after we were 13-3 this year heading to tourney again with above average recruiting class coming in. Lol

Stand behind your programs, players, and coaches. Don't take it upon yourself to suspend, etc when others don't deem anything wrong. Among other things.

There is a reason that this University has had more scandal than almost any other in the US. And it's not because it isn't happening other places.

You nailed it. All of it. MN bares their chest and asks for punishment. What other university operates in this fashion?

The silence from the gh super duper bb gods on this subject is deafening. Tar heels anyone?

The worst 5 year period, including the Monson years???

#1 - Haskins cheated, nothing could be worse than his tenure. He robbed the Gophers of EVERYTHING. They basically lost every game under him, officially.

#2 - Monson?? Seriously? The difference between Monson and Pitino, is POTENTIAL. With Monson, there was never the potential to take the next step.

#3 - Tubby?? Same as Monson, with Tubby, there really was never the potential to move up to the next level.

#4 - INTEGRITY!! Pitino could have shown both Gaston and Konate the door, but he didn't. Short term we are suffering for it now, but only because of extenuating circumstances NOT under his control. Come next year, we'll have a great lineup, Curry will be back, new recruits will come in, we technically will not lose Lynch, he's already gone, so we have to make up for the loss of Mason, but otherwise, we'll gain more than we lose.

#5 - POTENTIAL!!! Pitino brought us hope, once we got past that one bad season, everything was on the upwards climb, until something beyond Pitino's control happened, then Coffey's injury came at the same time, how can you blame Pitino for this?? I mean, come on.

I don't give a rats ash if his first 5 years were the worst EVER, if his 2nd 5 years promise to be the BEST EVER, and they do.

It's that simple.

I tend to agree with much of what you say. And at the same time it is unwise to ignore the issues with Pitino.

What rivergopher said. Additionally, even with the less-than-great results with the exception of '14, he manages to have an energized fan base.

I do believe you have to adjust for the Lincoln factor. He's got a lot of built-in disadvantages there. I know one thing: when the Huskers play the Gophers, he and his staff always seem to out-game plan us.

I think Miles is a good x's and o's coach who hasn't gotten good players to Nebraska for the most part. Basically the opposite of Pitino. The question is why hasn't he gotten good players? Is it really that hard to recruit there or is he a bad recruiter? He got better talent to Colorado State than he has to Nebraska. Minnesota has a much better base of local talent so I think Miles would do OK here. He's not my first choice, but he's in the top 3-5.

I agree in general. And the way they handled the Royce White laptop BS, or Trevor's situation was pathetic and most other schools would have let them play.

But with regards to the Lynch thing, it's unrealistic to expect the U to do anything differently than it did. If anything, they exposed themselves to criticism for letting him play from November until January.

Well yes I don't like the off court issues, but in reality if that doesn't happen and we were healthy this year were looking at 2 years in a row in tourney and next year a for sure possibility. I know we were gonna be bubble team but the more I watch big ten this year it's terrible. I don't think we would have had a problem making tourney. I know some of the stuff I brought up is probably why your giving him one more year. If it ends up being a dumpster fire next year I'm on board with ya. I just want to see positive yardage next year.

Would we? If we were losing all of these games by single digits, I'd feel like we're the Lynch situation really took us down. But when you're getting thrashed by 20 every night, it's hard to blame the absence of one guy. You can't say that we would have won at NW even with Reggie and Coffey. Or beaten Purdue. Or OSU. In reality, we for sure would have beaten Indiana and NW at home. I'm not sure the outcomes of any of the other games would have changed. So we'd be 16-7, 5-5. Probably squarely on the bubble.

Best coach this University ever had. If you can't see that, you haven't been watching long enough.

I don't care if someone wrote papers for his players. Got to any University that wins at all and this is happening on the regular.

Agree! I was at a conference in Denver after the Clem thing broke and went out to dinner with an alum from NC and one from Duke. They had all kinds of questions about the incident. After explaining it the best I could they both said the same thing "that's what we all call tutoring where we come from". They went on to say that worse things than that have happened down there and some big donor just comes in and pays everyone off! So I have no doubt that similar problems that we have had the last 25 years have been covered up there. But not here in Minnesota we always have to do the right thin and fall on our sword. Minnesota nice!

Well there's plenty to debate, but as we have seen not having a rim protector is huge. Can't say for sure what would have happened but I will say that not having guys score at will on us inside and having his 10-15 possible points would for sure make a game go from 20 to a close game. Shut somebody down 5 more times and get lynch 10 points rather than the 0 from konate and whoever and it's a close game. Not having the rim protector has made a huge difference. Now because we have to help inside it opens up all the wide open threes. With that being said I still think with everyone in lineup game at nw and Maryland were winnable. Either way, we can debate all day long what games we could have won or lost but I'm sticking with if we were at full strength and big ten isn't strong that we would have found a way to win 11 games in BIG!

Would we? If we were losing all of these games by single digits, I'd feel like we're the Lynch situation really took us down. But when you're getting thrashed by 20 every night, it's hard to blame the absence of one guy. You can't say that we would have won at NW even with Reggie and Coffey. Or beaten Purdue. Or OSU. In reality, we for sure would have beaten Indiana and NW at home. I'm not sure the outcomes of any of the other games would have changed. So we'd be 16-7, 5-5. Probably squarely on the bubble.

They’d at least have a chance to redeem themselves. How would last season have ended if we lost a couple starters after starting 3-6 in conference? Maybe it snowballs, we close conference play with another 3-6 record, get a 6 seed in the NIT, and we have a new coach this year. Wouldn’t surprise me if the team’s spirit was a little broken after losing Lynch and Coffey, and they came out flat against Northwestern and Purdue (not saying we’d beat Purdue, but maybe we only lose by 10-15 instead of 30+).

Maybe I just don’t want to get rid of Pitino because firing a coach means we’re going to continue to suck for the near future, and sucking and rebuilding is getting old.

We have a team that recently stated following a loss at NW that they didn't know what to do when the Wildcats went into a zone defense. After the home NW loss the head coach stated in a post game interview that the reason the team lost was that they were tired. Is this the kind of leadership that we think will be successul in the long term? And I can't wait to see the teams offensive structure when the only PG on the roster is "me" Washington.

Correct. Next year was understood to be a step back, losing Mason and Lynch, and the conventional wisdom was that it wasn't going to be a tournament year. The evaluation of Pitino next year has to be realistic in this respect. Realistically, an NCAA berth the following year is possible if the incoming recruiting class pans out and serves as an able replacement for Murphy and McBrayer. Still feels fairly uphill to me, and even with the perspective of realistic expectations, struggling for an NCAA bid in Year 7 does feel like weak sauce.

I could believe that next year could be pretty good, even with fewer returning starters......IF.....Pitino could build a reasonably effective bench. Unfortunately, we've seen little evidence that he can throughout his tenure here.

I believe Pitino is a good enough of a recruiter to pick up a decent veteran grad transfer point guard. With that player, Murphy, Coffee, McBrayer, and Stockman they would have an experienced, although lesser, starting five than at the beginning of this year. Still, if Curry and a couple of the younger players can step up and consistently play well in support, the team could be better than this year's team even when it was at full strength.

They’d at least have a chance to redeem themselves. How would last season have ended if we lost a couple starters after starting 3-6 in conference? Maybe it snowballs, we close conference play with another 3-6 record, get a 6 seed in the NIT, and we have a new coach this year. Wouldn’t surprise me if the team’s spirit was a little broken after losing Lynch and Coffey, and they came out flat against Northwestern and Purdue (not saying we’d beat Purdue, but maybe we only lose by 10-15 instead of 30+).

Maybe I just don’t want to get rid of Pitino because firing a coach means we’re going to continue to suck for the near future, and sucking and rebuilding is getting old.

I don't think it would be a total rebuild. All 3 recruits are local kids. No reason to think they'd all bail because of a coaching change. IW probably would and maybe Harris. But I don't think there'd be a mass exodus. There rarely is.

You people make me sick.

F all of you, except the couple of guys who responded saying Pitino wouldn't be, or shouldn't be fired after this year.

SHAME ON ALL OF YOU.

And honestly, if we fire Pitino, I'll start cheering AGAINST Gopher bb. It wouldn't deserve anything more than its ever had, which historically has been NOTHING. You losers act like we are UNC or Duke and can't handle a single losing season or setback??? OMG, even UNC and Duke would suck this season up and handle it with more honor.

I'm ashamed to say that I am a Gopher bb fan. OMG.

All that Pitino has done for this program, bringing us hope, TRUE hope, for the first time.

And because of circumstances beyond his control, all converging the same season, you what? Blame him and feel it right to throw him under the bus???

F all of you. Seriously.

We have A FUTURE with Pitino. We're better than this.

IF, what happened this year becomes some kind of pattern, then yeah, start looking elsewhere, but its not a pattern. The only pattern I see is the increasingly better recruiting classes he keeps bringing in.

Gaston and Konate are relics left over from his very first recruiting class, that he respectfully and honorably didn't give the boot, and that he wouldn't have had to depend on if another player had been able to keep his d1ck in his pants or had been able to lay off the drink maybe???

Hell, I'm all behind he Metoo thing, about time, but if that had not happened, we might not be in this situation. I'm NOT justifying anything or suggesting I'd wished it hadn't happened, I'm just saying, it happened to happen NOW, and Pitino is suffering because of it, and there is no definitive evidence that points to his being at fault in this. So let it the F go, move on, look forward to next year and his next awesome recruiting class, and the return of Curry, too.

Man, I have to say, sometimes I HATE Gopher fans, they are such losers. There are so many cbb fans around the country who envy us and our having Pitino, and they'd all think we are INSANE for even considering letting him go.

Only in Gopherland would we think letting Pitino go was a good move. OMG.

This is just silly.

Now that the team has Coffey back they should be playing better. There is enough talent on the floor to win some games, especially at home. Right now they look defeated. They play selfish, boring basketball with no defensive intensity.

I'd like Pitino to stay because he's an excellent communicator. It looks like he has lost this year's team and that has been compounded by several recruiting mistakes. (Someone made the point earlier that he should get credit for not running off Gas and Konate and I agree with that position. If they have good GPA's, that may have helped their status.) If this continues, Coyle will have a tough decision at the end of the season.

Now that the team has Coffey back they should be playing better. There is enough talent on the floor to win some games, especially at home. Right now they look defeated. They play selfish, boring basketball with no defensive intensity.

I'd like Pitino to stay because he's an excellent communicator. It looks like he has lost this year's team and that has been compounded by several recruiting mistakes. (Someone made the point earlier that he should get credit for not running off Gas and Konate and I agree with that position. If they have good GPA's, that may have helped their status.) If this continues, Coyle will have a tough decision at the end of the season.

Excellent communicator; great personality; other than the player misbehavior, runs a clean program by all accounts; very likable guy. You want him to succeed and be here forever. But you can't ignore the warts, including the basketball coaching questions that have come up, most notably the lack of defensive identity and well below average defensive performance. When he came here, he said they would be a pressing team, and that was going to be their defensive identity. If that's been abandoned...for such as excellent communicator, he's never come out and verified and explained that - or what their "new" identity is supposed to be.

At this point you are really just talking out of your ass. You have no idea if North Carolina was missing any players due to injury back then (had nothing to do with my point) and I know you didn't bother to actually look anything up. How so? Miami is no longer ranked. Nice assumption that only Washington shot poorly. (I'll give you a hint: most of the team/other guards did too.) You appear to be saying that the Gophers lost to Wisconsin because Springs was hurt. (Nice try on that. He wasn't.) And you make statements speaking as if Lynch and Coffey have been out all year. Also, completely ignoring the defensive problems this team has had even when they were only down Curry. Does no defense have to be played to win the Big Ten? We must not have watched the same team earlier this year.

Miami isn't ranked anymore? Maybe YOU are the one who needs to stop talking out of your arse.

Coaches Poll has Miami ranked. RPI has Miami ranked #15. And RPI DOES still get looked at. They only have 4 losses and play in the ACC???

And no, I didn't look up what was going on with UNC those 2 seasons. I have better things to do. I was ASKING YOU, but apparently you don't know either, and didn't look it up, either. But I did look up Miami's being ranked. Just because you only looked at the AP poll and no others is your own problem.

Was I wrong about Springs and the Wisconsin game? Maybe, but he WAS injured for the Michigan game, and the MTSU games, right? Yeah, that's what I thought. Not everyone, but a lot of Gopher fans felt we would have won both of those games had Springs been healthy.

And I said 2-3 of the Top 6 players. Curry obviously the constant ONE. Then combine the games McBrayer was out, with the games Coffey was out, AND of course Lynch, and that equals 2-3 players out for much of the season, at least the games we lost.

As for Washington, maybe I haven't kept on all of the players stats in a game by game way, I follow EVERY Gopher sports team, the Wild, the T-Pups, the Vikes and all of the Gopher alum playing in the NHL, but I remember somewhere near the end of the ooc part of the season, or maybe very early in conference play, I looked it up and the Gophers as a team were shooting something like 36 or 38 percent from 3 point land, but several Gophers individually were all in the 40+ percent range, but Washington was 2-28 or something like that. Might be an exaggeration, but my point is, that Washington, all by himself brought the entire team's 3 point shooting percentage down several percentage points.

Before Lynch and Coffey went out, he started shooting less and driving to the basket more and was making really good progress. But then those 2 went out. Defenses knew they could move out farther and pressure our gaurds more, and hence, now we have our gaurds feeling flustered and maybe desperate and taking more bad shots. It's not Pitino doing a bad job of coaching, its the other teams coaches knowing how to take advantage of our new found weakness. They can double team Murphy more, his scoring and rebounding has gone way down. They can pressure our gaurds more without having to worry because its just Konate or Gaston on the inside.

And YES, I know, it was Pitino's fault for recruiting those 2, and then for not pushing them off the team. Wow, guy maybe has principles? Those 2 didn't deserve to be treated badly? Just bad luck that Lynch and Coffey and McBreyer all take turns sitting out alongside Curry.

Tough for a team with a very short bench and no legitimate inside presence to play great basketball.

You claim that they weren't playing defense before? Lynch being Top 5 in the nation in blocked shots and being praised for doing that without sending the ball into the stands, but keeping it in play more than most shot blockers, and Murphy leading the nation in rebounding? Those are not good defense?

Maybe McBrayer being out some games, Coffey being injured and out some games, forced freshmen gaurds to do more than should have been expected and maybe they don't yet play stellar defense? That can't be coached in half a season, if it could every team would do it. Washington was a street ball kind of player, he needs time to develop discipline and defense, but no one else has his potential to get to the basket. In time Pitino will have him playing much better.

Everyone always like to blame the coach. But seems to me Murphy DEVELOPED while here. McBrayer developed while here and got better. Coffey has gotten better. Even Washington was getting better before Lynch and Coffey went out. Oh, and Lynch was developing as a player as well, he was fouling less than early last year. Our other new frosh was starting to have a few good games.

It's bs if people try to claim that he's not developing the players he's bringing in here. Gaston and Konate, when only needed for a few minutes were actually starting to contribute without looking as bad as they have in the past. But we found out over time that they were not going to become regular players.

Hurt was coming along as well. And last year Curry developed and improved over the season and fans were very excited about his potential come this season.

And Pitino's recruiting good players with lots of potential. ZERO one and doners, and I'm pleased about that. With the rare exception of a Minnesota native super star or two.

The National Perception of Minnesota basketball is that it's a joke, a dumpster fire of a program, that's NEVER done anything and probably never will.

Scandal after scandal, one of the worst, if not THE worst punishments every doled out to a basketball program. We're in the frozen tundra. It took decades for the school to start supporting bb and fb with proper facilities.

NO ONE wanted to coach here. Lie to yourselves and tell yourselves that they did, but they didn't. If Pitino was our 7th choice, it was because no one else wanted the job. Coaches come here to ruin their legacy or because we are the only program willing to take a chance on them. Tubby came here and got fired despite half way decent results, and the nation looked down on us for it. We hired Monson because no one else wanted the job. Haskins was a cheat. Sex Scandal before that. NCAA came down on Musselman, after the press massacred us for starting a race riot first. We have the fewest # of NCAA tourney wins in all of P5, or close to it.

I love the U of Mn. But those are just facts. There are good explanations behind most of that, but that's not what the outside world sees. They don't want to see it. They like us being bad.

I asked guys at CBSsports if they thought we should get rid of Pitino and they all said, NO WAY!!! And they would have told me if they didn't think Pitino was any good. They love running down bad coaches there. Pitino is not looked at as a bad coach. They know we've suffered injuries and suspensions to our best players and they feel sorry for us.

This is just silly.

Ok, maybe I was venting a little too much. Might have been some alcohol involved? But its not silly.

Fans I know from all over that I talk to at CBSsports think we'd be crazy to get rid of Pitino.

They view Minnesota as historically a JOKE, a dumpster fire that Pitino put out and was building into something real. They think Pitino was turning us into a legit program that couldn't be laughed at anymore.

Oh, and the envying us part, I obviously wasn't talking about programs like Duke or UNC or UCLA or Kentucky, and probably not Purdue or MSU.

But there are over 300 Div 1 programs out there, and I wouldn't doubt if 200-250 of those programs would love to have Pitino right now.

Excellent communicator; great personality; other than the player misbehavior, runs a clean program by all accounts; very likable guy. You want him to succeed and be here forever. But you can't ignore the warts, including the basketball coaching questions that have come up, most notably the lack of defensive identity and well below average defensive performance. When he came here, he said they would be a pressing team, and that was going to be their defensive identity. If that's been abandoned...for such as excellent communicator, he's never come out and verified and explained that - or what their "new" identity is supposed to be.

I'd love to see some of you critics try to coach this team this year.

Curry out the whole year.
McBrayer missed a few games early, which almost directly coincided with their early losses and/or less than stellar performances.
When McBrayer returned, we did better.

Washington started out the season throwing up a ton 3s and missing almost all of them. Seemed to me, couple games before Lynch and Coffey went out, he was driving to the basket more and shooting from outside less. He was improving as a player.

Lynch was fouling less than early last year.

Murphy was much better than last year.

And those two were ranked #1 in rebounding and #3 in Blocked shots. Those are considered defense??

Now take out the CONF DEF POY. We're already without Curry to help out. Oh, and same time Coffey goes out.

Now defenses are putting more pressure on our gaurds knowing its just Konate and Gaston on the inside.

Murphy is probably getting double teamed more, his stats are way down since those two went out.

So Mason is left thinking he has to do everything. So yeah, he and others start trying to be the Hero. Is that bad coaching or just freaking out under much increased pressure?

I saw everyone progressing and improving as the season was going along, until Coffey and Lynch went down, combined with Curry already being out. Who was left? 3 of our Top 6? Some young recruits that would have done better if left to progress and improve over time? And 2 relics of Pitino's first recruiting class?

Man, I sometimes wonder if a lot of you never played sports before, and I doubt any of you coached before.

Don't you guys remember how much of a negative impact losing one single player was back in 1996 was it? Was it Sam Jacobsen? We were winning with him, and couldn't without him. It was that simple. Now we've lost 2-3 for much of the season and somehow now its the coaches fault???

Every coach who has been hired here has said that they were going to press and run the other team out of the building. And then they start their first B1G season. Also, in order to be a pressing/running team you need depth and a lot of great athletes. Even the 97 team didn't have enough of the kind of athletes to run another team out of the gym. (They had enough of the kind of players to pound another team into the ground, which is why they won the B1G.) If anything, I give Pitino credit for adapting his style and philosophy to the conference and the recruiting pool available to him. What I don't understand is why his teams generally can't guard the three and why his offenses are so stagnant and iso dominant.

Every coach who has been hired here has said that they were going to press and run the other team out of the building. And then they start their first B1G season. Also, in order to be a pressing/running team you need depth and a lot of great athletes. Even the 97 team didn't have enough of the kind of athletes to run another team out of the gym. (They had enough of the kind of players to pound another team into the ground, which is why they won the B1G.) If anything, I give Pitino credit for adapting his style and philosophy to the conference and the recruiting pool available to him. What I don't understand is why his teams generally can't guard the three and why his offenses are so stagnant and iso dominant.

I would love to see a viable press used as a change-up defense. I've never understood why/how we went from it being our all-the-time defense to almost never using it. Clem's teams pressed against opponents who had certain tendencies and weaknesses.

I will give you that one, we do not defend against the 3 very well. And you are right, you need lots of depth to play that kind of pressing defense.

Maybe next year, IF the frosh show up ready to go? I won't hold my breath.

But we lose 4, but only 2 contributors, so depth should be much improved come next year. Hurt should be better, IW should improve, Curry will be back, this Cashman I've been reading about, is this a certainty? Is he a grad transfer?

I do think Pitino's been developing his players and that they leave much better than when they arrived. Although Konate and Gaston didn't develop much.

Now, I don't want Pitino to be fired and I don't think there is any chance he gets fired. That said, this is a crazy emotional response.

#1: Haskins era? Yep, he cheated and that stunk. But I still remember that Final Four run, I'd take another Final Four run that is later wiped off the books over this dumpster fire.
#2: Monson era? Yeah, there was less splash. But was it really worse than it is now? Really?
#3: Tubby era? How is it possible that you are arguing that there was never potential in the Tubby era? This year feels so much like the Tubby year that went sideways (Royce's nonsense, Mbakwe's nonsense, injuries).

This year feels like a lot of the same disappointment that we went through with Tubby. Our lack of depth being exposed because injuries (Al Nolen/Mbakwe = Curry/Coffey) and off-the-court issues (Mbakwe/White = Lynch/Dorsey).

They were pretty good defensively last year. Obviously Lynch being out hurts right now but the effort isn't there either.

For certain. So far, the good defensive year has been the blip, the exception.

Top Bottom