Who should be on the list?

94 & 95? The EIGHTH and NINTH seasons of his tenure here?

94 & 95? The first two seasons that he was PROVEN guilty of cheating???

OK, I get it. I went back and re-read your post, and I took it the wrong way.

My point here is that if Pitino could turn out to be as good of a coach as Clem was when he was here, there wouldn't be anyone ever calling for his head again.

I'm most definitely sticking with Pitino for a couple mores years in hope he can turn it around. Switching out coaches all the time is not the answer IMO.

Send Stanley Hubbard's plane to Reno as soon as Nevada's season is over...

Yes, I agree Eric M is the man if they pull the plug. It is too early though, RP gets another year.

IF, and that is a big IF, Muss would even be willing to take the job. Everyone thought Shaka was going to take the job, when Tubby was fired. lol

Did we even come close to getting Shaka? Realistically? And in retrospect, would we have wanted him???

Pitino's building us a future. That's all I need to say.

IF, and that is a big IF, Muss would even be willing to take the job. Everyone thought Shaka was going to take the job, when Tubby was fired. lol

Did we even come close to getting Shaka? Realistically? And in retrospect, would we have wanted him???

Pitino's building us a future. That's all I need to say.[/QU

He has built us an outhouse.

Only 4 games left and only 1 win since my proclamation. I’ll say it again, get rid of Richie Rich, he sucks. Chances of losing all of last 4, better than half, losing 3 of 4, almost a lock. Is winning 2 of 13 games good worthy of a return? And getting blown out of most of those games, not even competing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only 4 games left and only 1 win since my proclamation. I’ll say it again, get rid of Richie Rich, he sucks. Chances of losing all of last 4, better than half, losing 3 of 4, almost a lock. Is winning 2 of 13 games good worthy of a return? And getting blown out of most of those games, not even competing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to argue with this. Add in a 1st RD B1G tourney loss and it’s has a chance for losing 14 or 15 out of 16.

No clue how anyone can defend that but some on here certainly will try.

That being said Pitino probably will get another year. How does Coyle even sell that to the season ticket fan base considering the 2 win conference season season isn’t that much of a distant memory? If it happens losing 14 or 15 out of the last 16 it can’t be simply explained by suspension and injury.

Hard to argue with this. Add in a 1st RD B1G tourney loss and it’s has a chance for losing 14 or 15 out of 16.

That being said Pitino probably will get another year. How does Coyle even sell that to the season ticket fan base considering the 2 win conference season season isn’t that much of a distant memory? If it happens losing 14 or 15 out of the last 16 it can’t be simply explained by suspension and injury.

Not to mention that even if we do accept that this disaster is all the fault of injury, we will need to be injury free to be competitive next year? That just isn't gonna happen. Now there are obviously degrees of injury, but if losing 2 starters justifies a total collapse, what if we lose 1 starter? Does that mean a 6 win Big10 campaign? You just can't say success is only possible if everything falls your way.

I think it falls somewhere in the middle. Obviously the injuries and suspension to Lynch has hurt a lot. It still doesn't excuse some of the losses or how they lost in some. So I think you can blame the injuries/suspension and be upset with the coaching, lack of hustle, bad execution, etc at the same time.

Everything that has gone on has to be devastating to a senior like Mason. You've worked hard three years to get to this point and then just about everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. I think it's obvious he's very frustrated and I don't blame him. It's a ****ty way to end his college career. Not saying he doesn't deserve some of the blame for some of the bad play, but I do feel bad for him.

Not to mention that even if we do accept that this disaster is all the fault of injury, we will need to be injury free to be competitive next year? That just isn't gonna happen. Now there are obviously degrees of injury, but if losing 2 starters justifies a total collapse, what if we lose 1 starter? Does that mean a 6 win Big10 campaign? You just can't say success is only possible if everything falls your way.

It's happened for Illinois, Nebraska, and Penn State, or at least none of those three teams have any players out right now. Purdue is missing a guy who was highly rated coming out of Juco, but was averaging less than 5 minutes a game before being kicked off the team early in the season. Michigan State is only missing one player, and he averaged 8 minutes a game last year. Isaiah Livers is a true freshman averaging 15.5 minutes a game, 6th most on the team, who is questionable for Michigan's next game, but hasn't missed a game to this point in the season. Kam Williams for Ohio State was recently suspended, he averages 22 minutes a game, and had played in every game up until the suspension.

I didn't go through every team in the Big Ten, but it looks like there are 3 teams in the Big Ten who are not missing anyone at all, Purdue and Michigan State each lost a guy who was looking to be a deep reserve. Ohio State only recently suspended one of their more significant contributors, and Michigan might be missing their sixth man in their next game. The best teams in the Big Ten have not suffered significant losses to this point, we'll see what happens with Ohio State moving forward. So I disagree with the premise that having a season next year in which no one in our starting lineup misses significant time is a very improbable event. If we just lost Hurt or Harris or Konate and no one else and had a similar collapse, the argument would be more convincing.

Injuries aside, Pitino has not made any adjustments except tinkering with the starting lineup. Murphy can’t play defense. Morgan and Mcswain made him look bad last night. Our guards don’t defend. We run the same simple sets on offense. A coach dealing with injuries should be trying everything and anything. I don’t see it.

Pitino's building us a future. That's all I need to say.

Everyone didn't think we were getting Shaka. People thought there was a small chance due to Teague. Musselman is not where Shaka was then. He's been there 3 years and is about to make his first NCAA tournament. Shaka had been at VCU longer, been to a Final Four and signed a big contract to stay. It's not comparable. Certainly he might get a better offer from someone else, but he's not likely to turn us down to stay at Nevada.

Everyone didn't think we were getting Shaka. People thought there was a small chance due to Teague. Musselman is not where Shaka was then. He's been there 3 years and is about to make his first NCAA tournament. Shaka had been at VCU longer, been to a Final Four and signed a big contract to stay. It's not comparable. Certainly he might get a better offer from someone else, but he's not likely to turn us down to stay at Nevada.

Just for the fun of it, does anyone know Musselman's contract situation at Nevada. I thought I read that he signed a long term deal, but what are the buyout ammounts?

Kendal Shell's interview with Gopherlady is interesting. He calls Pitino an x's and o's genius and that he really knows how to motivate players. I know that some on this thread will dismiss his thoughts, but as one who hopes Pitino gets things back on track next year, I find statements like this encouraging.

Kendal Shell's interview with Gopherlady is interesting. He calls Pitino an x's and o's genius and that he really knows how to motivate players. I know that some on this thread will dismiss his thoughts, but as one who hopes Pitino gets things back on track next year, I find statements like this encouraging.

X's and O's are by far his glaring weakness.

I actually think the Gophers have a very good offensive scheme - when they can get the players to run it. The problem is that it's not diverse and versatile enough, so they have trouble making adjustments to game situations. Schematically, my frustration this year is all the apparent opportunities to pass to Murphy off the pick and roll, and they almost never do. It's easy to see that opposing teams know this and don't guard for it, which makes the Gophers easier to defend. By contrast, Indiana ate the Gophers' lunch the other night off the pick and roll. It was like taking candy from a baby, which brings me to...

...defense. We are bad, and there is no apparent sense of recognition or urgency about that. I think we have guys who can play better defense, but both scheme and fundamentals are lacking, moreso the latter. And it's no new topic here that they have no defensive identity. I keep waiting for Richard to uncork his long-promised press, or at least publicly admit that it was as a bunch of talk from the start. Geez, at least show us you know how to coach a pressure defense by using it as a changeup once in a while. I guess I could go on and on...

There are moments yes, but on the whole I think his largest two deficiencies have been the his team’s lack of defensive fundamentals and the number of missed in recruiting causing an extreme talent deficiency on the bench...this has been a problem each of the past three seasons in my opinion.

Missing 4 of the Top 6 players, is equivalent to a football team missing FIFTEEN STARTERS and FIVE 2nd stringers.

I challenge all of you Pitino haters to find one single football team, ANYONE, in any time period, at any level, that lost the equivalent of 15 starters and 5 second stringers that didn't totally collapse. It won't happen, because you can ask ANY football fan, losing that much would be devastating.

Teams collapse after losing a lot less.

How did the 1998 Gophers do BEFORE SJ went down, compared to AFTER he went down???

Missing 4 of the Top 6 players, is equivalent to a football team missing FIFTEEN STARTERS and FIVE 2nd stringers.

I challenge all of you Pitino haters to find one single football team, ANYONE, in any time period, at any level, that lost the equivalent of 15 starters and 5 second stringers that didn't totally collapse. It won't happen, because you can ask ANY football fan, losing that much would be devastating.

Teams collapse after losing a lot less.

How did the 1998 Gophers do BEFORE SJ went down, compared to AFTER he went down???

You haven't been listening to people. They're not as upset about the win/loss record but by the effort and lack of fundamentals. Wisconsin is another team that's gone in the crapper, largely because of injuries, but they're generally keeping people in front of them on defense, and I haven't seen where their players have been walking back on defense as the other team scores, as both Mason and Murphy have been observed doing in recent games.

You haven't been listening to people. They're not as upset about the win/loss record but by the effort and lack of fundamentals. Wisconsin is another team that's gone in the crapper, largely because of injuries, but they're generally keeping people in front of them on defense, and I haven't seen where their players have been walking back on defense as the other team scores, as both Mason and Murphy have been observed doing in recent games.

Oh, I've been listening/reading all of the bs.

Maybe you aren't listening to me and others trying to point out that a team with so little to work with, is easier to defend against, is easier to score upon, is easier to outrun and out hustle, especially as the games progress and OUR team gets tired and worn out. Especially when some of our players are playing hurt, and whose injuries and pain they suffer through while playing slows them down?

Maybe you aren't listening when I and others point to OUR team playing mostly road games, and with very few days in between games, and absolutely zero home games played back to back so that the team doesn't have to travel. Playing one home game sandwiched between 2 road games doesn't mean the players don't have to travel as much?

Has there been a team that has traveled as much as us? 6 road games over an 8 game stretch?? First 5 games of those games over an 11 day period?

OSU played 4 home games in a row prior to their road game vs Purdue. Wow, must be nice.

OSU has played 8 conf games at home, 1 at a neutral site and 5 on the road, the first 3 of those road games being @UW, @Iowa & @ Rutgers. The 4th was @ NW.

Their toughest game, the road game vs Purdue, they got to play those 4 home games in a row just prior to that game.

IU's played an easy schedule, as has Nebraska.

UMn's schedule has them playing the bottom 6 teams just 6 times, but the top 8 teams 12 times.

Even though McBrayer played in most of those games, he was playing in a lot of pain, and was visibly slowed down by it, and not even allowed to practice between games. Either was Coffey.

So lets talk about practices. Who did they get to practice against?

A team with 1 or 2 injuries at least has 10-12 scholarship players left with which to practice with, 2 teams of 5 practicing against each other.

A team of just 7 or 8 or even 9, needs what? Several walk-ons to make practices work?

Not all of our opponents can be small balled like we did to Michigan.

WE ARE STARTING, our 12th best player, and another who might only be 9th or 10th best and a 3rd who was 7th best, at best, coming into the season. Some will claim he is better than 7th now, but we just can't know that, now can we?

Players have all shown improvement from year to year, and even during a season under Pitino. Even Gaston and Bakary.

So he's teaching them things. And last year's defensive stats show they were being taught defense, as well.

Honestly, this season won't tell us much of anything. Next year will tell us far more about Pitino.

Players have all shown improvement from year to year, and even during a season under Pitino. Even Gaston and Bakary.

False. "All" is of course ridiculous. And Konate has somehow gotten worse.

Or maybe he is really smart when it comes to X's and O's but is poor at teaching his players.

This is a really good point. I had several professors during undergrad at the U who were clearly very high-level experts in their subject matter area, but had no ability/desire/willingness (or some combination thereof) to figure out how to relay their vast knowledge to students. I hadn't considered this possibility with Pitino, but it is an intriguing thought.

This is a really good point. I had several professors during undergrad at the U who were clearly very high-level experts in their subject matter area, but had no ability/desire/willingness (or some combination thereof) to figure out how to relay their vast knowledge to students. I hadn't considered this possibility with Pitino, but it is an intriguing thought.

It does seem to me that guys are out of position a lot and Pitino is yelling at them because they're not doing something he wants them to do. Maybe it's a combination of guys not understanding and him not teaching well enough. Some guys just don't seem to "get it" even after 4-5 years in a program.

False. "All" is of course ridiculous. And Konate has somehow gotten worse.

Well, THIS year Konate may have seemed to get worse, but that is probably because his role changed, from the guy who came in for 2-3 minutes to give Lynch or Curry a short breather, to a starting role.

But from year 1 to year 3, Konate DID improve. As far as I can remember.

Do you have evidence to prove otherwise? And who else would you argue hasn't improved???

Top Bottom