Who should be on the list?

howeda7

Reaction score
So regardless of your opinion of the current coach, they say every AD should have a short list. Who should be on Coyle's?

My list:

Long Shots:
Mike Brey-Notre Dame
Jamie Dixon-TCU (maybe not a total long shot)
Chris Mack-Xavier
Mick Cronin-Cincy
Frank Martin-SC (plus he's shady and involved in the scandal)
Brad Brownell-Clemson

Realistic (to varying degrees):
Eric Musselman-Nevada
Tad Boyle-Colorado
Tim Miles-Nebraska

Chris Beard-Texas Tech
Kevin Willard-Seton Hall
Mark Fox-UGa

Kevin Ollie-UConn (?)
Dan Hurley-Rhode Island
Jim Christian-BC
Leon Rice-Boise State
Nate Oats-Buffalo
Fran Dunphy-Temple (?)
Chris Mooney-Richmond

Others:

Rick Barnes-Tennessee
Ben Howland-Miss. St.
Tubby Smith-Memphis (I kid)

I'm not sure if I'm on board yet with Pitino being gone... bUT for the sake of argument, Musselman by a long shot. He has an impressive resume and has been well regarded by college and pro ranks for his game planning and player development.

So regardless of your opinion of the current coach, they say every AD should have a short list. Who should be on Coyle's?

My list:

Long Shots:
Mike Brey-Notre Dame
Jamie Dixon-TCU (maybe not a total long shot)
Chris Mack-Xavier
Mick Cronin-Cincy
Frank Martin-SC (plus he's shady and involved in the scandal)
Brad Brownell-Clemson

Realistic (to varying degrees):
Eric Musselman-Nevada
Tad Boyle-Colorado
Tim Miles-Nebraska

Chris Beard-Texas Tech
Kevin Willard-Seton Hall
Mark Fox-UGa

Kevin Ollie-UConn (?)
Dan Hurley-Rhode Island
Jim Christian-BC
Leon Rice-Boise State
Nate Oats-Buffalo
Fran Dunphy-Temple (?)
Chris Mooney-Richmond

Others:

Rick Barnes-Tennessee
Ben Howland-Miss. St.
Tubby Smith-Memphis (I kid)

Mike Brey- zero chance he gives up ND and the ACC
Dixon has his dream job at his alma
Mack and Cronin are both from Cincy, families and foundations there too. Already turned down better jobs.
Like Brownell but that resume is not very good.
Beard loves Tech and he took that job to be close to his daughters.
Willard and Fox have been mediocre.
Hurley wants the ACC
Mooney may get fired

Muss is the best choice and will be gone by April

Mike Brey- zero chance he gives up ND and the ACC
Dixon has his dream job at his alma
Mack and Cronin are both from Cincy, families and foundations there too. Already turned down better jobs.
Like Brownell but that resume is not very good.
Beard loves Tech and he took that job to be close to his daughters.
Willard and Fox have been mediocre.
Hurley wants the ACC
Mooney may get fired

Muss is the best choice and will be gone by April

The long shots are long shots for a reason. I was tempted to put Tony Bennett on there just to watch your head explode. :cool:

Brey has been there a long time. Only real thought is maybe it's time for a change and the ACC is more a curse than a blessing sometimes.
I know TCU is Dixon's alma mater, but it's still TCU. Same with Texas Tech.
I agree on Cronin/McBalderson. But Glen Mason turned down Georgia. Kevin Stallings turned down better jobs than Pitt. Sometimes circumstances change.

Musselman will 100% be gone this season and I have a bad feeling we'll wait one year too long.

The Bennett thing would not make my head explode. People can post whatever they want. He is doing at UVA exactly what Knight and Coach K said he would. He turned down a 5 million a year deal from Texas and more than that from the Knicks. Get the kids through high school and try the NBA or a lifer at UVA where he found the perfect fit with serious academics and the competition of the ACC. If we make a change, hope it is Muss.

Unfortunately, I don't see any way we land Mack or Brey. I feel like all of your long shots (with the possible exception of Brownell) would have a floor of a regular tournament team at Minnesota. I like some of your more realistic choices as well including Musselman and Boyle (not sure about him as a recruiter but I've seen that Colorado team play and I am not sure how he got that group of kids to beat Arizona it would be the equivalent of Pitino beating MSU this year without Coffey and Lynch).

One name that I am 100% positive we could hire that wouldn't be exciting but could be very good is Steve Forbes. Forbes is at ETSU and made the tournament in his second season there and is currently 7-0 in conference play this season. He's been a head coach at the JUCO level (two national runner up finishes in two years at Northwest Florida State) and has been an assistant for Gregg Marshall, Billy Gillespie, and Bruce Pearl. He's probably doing his most impressive coaching job this year with a lot of new faces on his ETSU team

Another name that's not as hot as it once was, but I'd be cool with is Ben Jacobson at UNI. He's really struggling this year (a terrible 2-6 in conference play), but has 4 NCAA appearances, 4 NCAA tournament wins, and has never finished worse than 9-9 in conference play in his 11 full seasons at UNI. A small added bonus here is that he could probably bring AJ Green with him as a guard to fill that final scholarship (provided his Dad doesn't get the UNI head job).

I'd much rather have this job open this year with a coach getting a year of a Muprhy/Curry to go with McBrayer and Coffey (and hopefully Oturu sticking with his commitment as a top 50 kid) and just one year removed from the tournament than to have it open up next year after missing the tournament (obviously not firing Pitino if they make it) and losing Murphy/McBrayer.

Ben Jacobson is the first guy I’d call. Keep Ben Johnson as your lead recruiter.

Yes. Ben Jacobson. He may not be a super sexy hire, but he's who I would want. I think he would get it done here on a consistent basis.

I'm a big Ben Jacobson fan, and really wanted us to hire him when we hired Pitino, but his current 2-6 conference record will make it a tough sell for any AD to bring him in now, and last year they were a mediocre 9-9.

No doubt Musselman would love this job, and will likely have plenty of opportunities to move up after this season.

Medved is quickly turning Drake around and will probably not last long there before a higher profile opportunity comes calling.

My fear is we'll hang on one year too long as we've done in the past. If Coyle isn't ready to make a move this offseason, then it will be in his best interest if this season gets turned around quickly as a few more 15+ point loses and/or bad home loses will have a significant impact on season ticket renewals for next year and then we potentially start a lame duck season which has multi-year impact on recruiting.

Go Gophers!!

Eric Musselman
Tad Boyle
Mike Hopkins
Ben Jacobson

The only realistic ones are probably Musselman and Jacobson. Hopkins has some history with Coyle.

The more I think about it I'd say it is very possible that we move on from Pitino this year assuming things don't turn around in the back half of the conference season. Coyle showed with the football program he was not afraid to pull the trigger early so that he could bring in his own guy. He and Pitino seem to have a good working relationship though.

Is there some real steam to this?

I'm a Pitino backer, but you have to be concerned at this 5 year point of his tenure

Niko Medved

I repeat, Niko Medved. Lot of good checkmarks in his favor.

Young (44), but with proven head coaching experience. ... check.

Built his own program (Furman) into a winner. 3, 5, 11, then 14 (Southern) conference wins in 4 years. ... check.

Has won a conference championship (regular season championship in Season 4 @ Furman). ... check.

Inherited a mess (7-24 last season) but has his new school (Drake) immediately competing for a conference title. ... check.

Knows the area. St. Paul kid very familiar with the Big Ten and Midwest. Assistant coach at Macalester, U of M, and now head coach at Drake. ... check.

University of Minnesota graduate. ... check.

Because he's "one of us", good chance if he has success here he won't always be looking for the "next big thing" " (a concern a lot of provincial Minnesotans tend to have). ... check.

A majority of the fan base would love the "one of us" angle with Niko Medved.

Medved might be a good hire. I just think the 'hire the opposite of the last coach' thing rings true more often than not. We hired a 30-something last time around, not sure we'll do it again.

Edit: I didn't realize he's 44. He looks younger. Still young and with a short enough resume that my point stands.

Eric Musselman
Tad Boyle
Mike Hopkins
Ben Jacobson

The only realistic ones are probably Musselman and Jacobson. Hopkins has some history with Coyle.

Isn't Hopkins in year one at his current job? I think that would take him off the list. Plus isn't he sort of still Syracuse coach in waiting?

I repeat, Niko Medved. Lot of good checkmarks in his favor.

Young (44), but with proven head coaching experience. ... check.

Built his own program (Furman) into a winner. 3, 5, 11, then 14 (Southern) conference wins in 4 years. ... check.

Has won a conference championship (regular season championship in Season 4 @ Furman). ... check.

Inherited a mess (7-24 last season) but has his new school (Drake) immediately competing for a conference title. ... check.

Knows the area. St. Paul kid very familiar with the Big Ten and Midwest. Assistant coach at Macalester, U of M, and now head coach at Drake. ... check.

University of Minnesota graduate. ... check.

Because he's "one of us", good chance if he has success here he won't always be looking for the "next big thing" " (a concern a lot of provincial Minnesotans tend to have). ... check.

I'm on board with Medved. I prefer Jacobson or Muss, but Medved would be on my list as well.

I haven't been Tom Crean's biggest fan, but I'd have him (behind Medved) on the list along with Musselman.

Isn't Hopkins in year one at his current job? I think that would take him off the list. Plus isn't he sort of still Syracuse coach in waiting?

Yes - one year in at Washington. I don't know about the Syracuse coach in waiting anymore.

I only included Hopkins because there is a connection with Coyle from their Syracuse days.

Is there some real steam to this?

I'm a Pitino backer, but you have to be concerned at this 5 year point of his tenure

Same here but kind of doubt it due to the injury /suspension circumstances. Think he will likely get another year to get this going in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobby Hurley!

Interestingly, many ASU fans think he is the Duke coach in waiting.

I agree with those who say that this is premature. Pitino shouldn't be fired based on this season full of injury and misfortune.

That said...Niko Medved would be successful here.

I'm all for not being afraid to go with a young coach or someone a little older who is undervalued or underemployed (Dick Bennett and Bo Ryan come to mind). I continue to be a big booster of Chad Walthall, but I admit his team hasn't been playing much defense this year. Always been a big Tim Miles fan and always will be.

I haven't been Tom Crean's biggest fan, but I'd have him (behind Medved) on the list along with Musselman.

Honestly didn't even think of him. Would be a rather boom or bust choice but there are worse options.

I agree with those who say that this is premature. Pitino shouldn't be fired based on this season full of injury and misfortune.

That said...Niko Medved would be successful here.
This.

Pitino is not getting fired this year. I've been wrong before but with a very good recruiting class in hand and at least one more spot open, he gets next year.
As much as I roll my eyes and am disappointed in Gaston and Konate, I respect Pitino for honoring his commitment to these guys when a different coach in his very tough position (see 2016) might have run them off. During warmups and all the pregame interactions that I have seen, Gaston is a popular guy and a good team mate. Still a very frustrating situation roster wise (that's on Pitino), but I'm glad Pitino is not a jerk in this regard.
"The coach list" is always a popular topic and usually shows up when a coach is having some trouble (fire him) or a coach is having some success (he's leaving us for a "prettier girl"). It's more often the former rather than the latter because...well this is the Gophers we're talking about.

ISU coach Steve Prohm is another name to put on the list. Cyclones are struggling this year but he has done some good work.

Pitino shouldn't be and won't be fired after this year. Next year I'm sure publications will all have him on the hot seat going into the season. There will be a lot of talent on next years team and it will be a NCAA tournament team barring some unexpected departures from key guys. Then everybody on here will be worried about Pitino leaving for a "better" job. I'm not even gonna think about a new coach until we actually need to.

Why isn't Tony Dungy on anyone's list?

I agree that he won't be fired this year. Isn't it amazing how quickly things have changed? Just a few months ago we were ranked 14th in the country and there were talks of it being a possible Final Four team.

You people make me sick.

F all of you, except the couple of guys who responded saying Pitino wouldn't be, or shouldn't be fired after this year.

SHAME ON ALL OF YOU.

And honestly, if we fire Pitino, I'll start cheering AGAINST Gopher bb. It wouldn't deserve anything more than its ever had, which historically has been NOTHING. You losers act like we are UNC or Duke and can't handle a single losing season or setback??? OMG, even UNC and Duke would suck this season up and handle it with more honor.

I'm ashamed to say that I am a Gopher bb fan. OMG.

All that Pitino has done for this program, bringing us hope, TRUE hope, for the first time.

And because of circumstances beyond his control, all converging the same season, you what? Blame him and feel it right to throw him under the bus???

F all of you. Seriously.

We have A FUTURE with Pitino. We're better than this.

IF, what happened this year becomes some kind of pattern, then yeah, start looking elsewhere, but its not a pattern. The only pattern I see is the increasingly better recruiting classes he keeps bringing in.

Gaston and Konate are relics left over from his very first recruiting class, that he respectfully and honorably didn't give the boot, and that he wouldn't have had to depend on if another player had been able to keep his d1ck in his pants or had been able to lay off the drink maybe???

Hell, I'm all behind he Metoo thing, about time, but if that had not happened, we might not be in this situation. I'm NOT justifying anything or suggesting I'd wished it hadn't happened, I'm just saying, it happened to happen NOW, and Pitino is suffering because of it, and there is no definitive evidence that points to his being at fault in this. So let it the F go, move on, look forward to next year and his next awesome recruiting class, and the return of Curry, too.

Man, I have to say, sometimes I HATE Gopher fans, they are such losers. There are so many cbb fans around the country who envy us and our having Pitino, and they'd all think we are INSANE for even considering letting him go.

Only in Gopherland would we think letting Pitino go was a good move. OMG.

Top Bottom