Who should be on the list?

Musselman wanted the job when Pitino was hired. He would be outstanding in my opinion. However, I don’t think Pitino should be fired. I get the concerns in year five but he had a great year last year and was B10 COY. Lots of bad luck this season. If things don’t get better, his seat could and should be warm next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Around the country programs envy us simply wow. In our own conference who would trade coaches penn st maybe? I think it is laughable that you say that, I am heading to Raleigh in two weeks for unc, ncst, and Davidson. Do this trip every year and get met with a lot of chuckles when I tell them I am a gopher season ticket holder. Please don’t critique those that don’t accept a 30-52 conference record with 0 ncaa wins. That is a losers mentality to accept that. Would our border rivals bring him back for a 6th with that resume? I think not. Outside of the buyout I see no reasons to bring him back. Having the 33rd rated recruiting class is nice but he can’t coach. He has lost control of this team. We will fail to even make the nit for the 3rd time. He is 19-21 at home in the big ten that is the most amazing of all his futility.

You people make me sick.

F all of you, except the couple of guys who responded saying Pitino wouldn't be, or shouldn't be fired after this year.

SHAME ON ALL OF YOU.

And honestly, if we fire Pitino, I'll start cheering AGAINST Gopher bb. It wouldn't deserve anything more than its ever had, which historically has been NOTHING. You losers act like we are UNC or Duke and can't handle a single losing season or setback??? OMG, even UNC and Duke would suck this season up and handle it with more honor.

I'm ashamed to say that I am a Gopher bb fan. OMG.

All that Pitino has done for this program, bringing us hope, TRUE hope, for the first time.

And because of circumstances beyond his control, all converging the same season, you what? Blame him and feel it right to throw him under the bus???

F all of you. Seriously.

We have A FUTURE with Pitino. We're better than this.

IF, what happened this year becomes some kind of pattern, then yeah, start looking elsewhere, but its not a pattern. The only pattern I see is the increasingly better recruiting classes he keeps bringing in.

Gaston and Konate are relics left over from his very first recruiting class, that he respectfully and honorably didn't give the boot, and that he wouldn't have had to depend on if another player had been able to keep his d1ck in his pants or had been able to lay off the drink maybe???

Hell, I'm all behind he Metoo thing, about time, but if that had not happened, we might not be in this situation. I'm NOT justifying anything or suggesting I'd wished it hadn't happened, I'm just saying, it happened to happen NOW, and Pitino is suffering because of it, and there is no definitive evidence that points to his being at fault in this. So let it the F go, move on, look forward to next year and his next awesome recruiting class, and the return of Curry, too.

Man, I have to say, sometimes I HATE Gopher fans, they are such losers. There are so many cbb fans around the country who envy us and our having Pitino, and they'd all think we are INSANE for even considering letting him go.

Only in Gopherland would we think letting Pitino go was a good move. OMG.

I'm glad Pitino can inspire such passion 5 seasons in while 30 + games under .500 in conference.

But this isn't about him. It's just about who should be on the AD's ever-present short list.

Too bad the Chicago Bulls are playing better this year. It would be fun to take a run at Fred Hoiberg if he was released by the Bulls.

Around the country programs envy us simply wow. In our own conference who would trade coaches penn st maybe? I think it is laughable that you say that, I am heading to Raleigh in two weeks for unc, ncst, and Davidson. Do this trip every year and get met with a lot of chuckles when I tell them I am a gopher season ticket holder. Please don’t critique those that don’t accept a 30-52 conference record with 0 ncaa wins. That is a losers mentality to accept that. Would our border rivals bring him back for a 6th with that resume? I think not. Outside of the buyout I see no reasons to bring him back. Having the 33rd rated recruiting class is nice but he can’t coach. He has lost control of this team. We will fail to even make the nit for the 3rd time. He is 19-21 at home in the big ten that is the most amazing of all his futility.

A losers mentality?? Who the frack do you think the Gophers are???

There are probably a 100 programs out there with more NCAA tourney wins than us.

And comparing us to Wisconsin?? PLEASE, omg, are you kidding. Wisconsin has standards apparently, and we don't deserve to have the same.

IU and PU have legacy over us, beyond compare. MSU & Wisc have the 21st Century to pummel us with.

OSU & Michigan have some legacy and some recent success to bury us.

Who cares after that?? Gopher BB is the laughingstock of NCAA P5/P8 bb. The fact we think we deserve better than Pitino is laughable.

Minnesota has one of the WORST NCAA tourney records in the country.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!!

People like you make me ashamed.

You need to calm down you stated that we are the envy around the country by having Pitino, why I said that. I unlike you appearantly have been following the gophers and have had season tickets in my family for 30 years, since I was a little little guy. I fully understand the limitations and the shortcomings of the program. This is the worse 5 year stretch since the mid 80s in conference even monsoon. I never expect the Gophers to compete with MSU. What I to expect is to have a winning record at home in conference. Not be drawing an announced 11300 (more like 9 in the seats). My expectations for a coach is a .450 conference winning percentage with at least 2 ncaa wins every 5 years. Pitino never should have been hired in the first place, his last name is smith he is coaching ne horse racing university. And that name has lost a lot of cache. As for Wisconsin you are probably too young to remember this but they did not make the toutnament for 40 years you know that right. Now do I think the gophers can ever achieve what they have done the last 20 absolutely not. And you proved my point “we have been bad so we will always be bad”. That is the definition of a loser mentality. Wisconsin should have just given up and stuck with Yoder forever because what was the point.

There are probably a 100 programs out there with more NCAA tourney wins than us.

And comparing us to Wisconsin?? PLEASE, omg, are you kidding. Wisconsin has standards apparently, and we don't deserve to have the same.

IU and PU have legacy over us, beyond compare. MSU & Wisc have the 21st Century to pummel us with.

Who cares after that?? Gopher BB is the laughingstock of NCAA P5/P8 bb. The fact we think we deserve better than Pitino is laughable.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!!

I'm glad Pitino can inspire such passion 5 seasons in while 30 + games under .500 in conference.

But this isn't about him. It's just about who should be on the AD's ever-present short list.

Pointing out his 30 plus games under .500 but it's not about him. Okay, Howie.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!!
People have every right to express their thought that he is not a good coach and that many others would be much further along than he is. This does not make them fools. You act as though you can support with facts that he is a great coach ! He has to prove he is good first and then a long ways to great. Plus, please never short on character when recruiting, that comes back to really hurt. Bring him back again but no more off the court garbage, no more fake news about offers and win something that matters. 6 years is enough to win anywhere if your great.

Pitino shouldn't be and won't be fired after this year. Next year I'm sure publications will all have him on the hot seat going into the season. There will be a lot of talent on next years team and it will be a NCAA tournament team barring some unexpected departures from key guys. Then everybody on here will be worried about Pitino leaving for a "better" job. I'm not even gonna think about a new coach until we actually need to.

I will never be worried about Rich Pitino leaving for a better job.

Nail, head. Well said.

You need to calm down you stated that we are the envy around the country by having Pitino, why I said that. I unlike you appearantly have been following the gophers and have had season tickets in my family for 30 years, since I was a little little guy. I fully understand the limitations and the shortcomings of the program. This is the worse 5 year stretch since the mid 80s in conference even monsoon. I never expect the Gophers to compete with MSU. What I to expect is to have a winning record at home in conference. Not be drawing an announced 11300 (more like 9 in the seats). My expectations for a coach is a .450 conference winning percentage with at least 2 ncaa wins every 5 years. Pitino never should have been hired in the first place, his last name is smith he is coaching ne horse racing university. And that name has lost a lot of cache. As for Wisconsin you are probably too young to remember this but they did not make the toutnament for 40 years you know that right. Now do I think the gophers can ever achieve what they have done the last 20 absolutely not. And you proved my point “we have been bad so we will always be bad”. That is the definition of a loser mentality. Wisconsin should have just given up and stuck with Yoder forever because what was the point.

Wow, more good stuff. You make too much sense.

You people make me sick.

F all of you, except the couple of guys who responded saying Pitino wouldn't be, or shouldn't be fired after this year.

SHAME ON ALL OF YOU.

And honestly, if we fire Pitino, I'll start cheering AGAINST Gopher bb. It wouldn't deserve anything more than its ever had, which historically has been NOTHING. You losers act like we are UNC or Duke and can't handle a single losing season or setback??? OMG, even UNC and Duke would suck this season up and handle it with more honor.

I'm ashamed to say that I am a Gopher bb fan. OMG.

All that Pitino has done for this program, bringing us hope, TRUE hope, for the first time.

And because of circumstances beyond his control, all converging the same season, you what? Blame him and feel it right to throw him under the bus???

F all of you. Seriously.

We have A FUTURE with Pitino. We're better than this.

IF, what happened this year becomes some kind of pattern, then yeah, start looking elsewhere, but its not a pattern. The only pattern I see is the increasingly better recruiting classes he keeps bringing in.

Gaston and Konate are relics left over from his very first recruiting class, that he respectfully and honorably didn't give the boot, and that he wouldn't have had to depend on if another player had been able to keep his d1ck in his pants or had been able to lay off the drink maybe???

Hell, I'm all behind he Metoo thing, about time, but if that had not happened, we might not be in this situation. I'm NOT justifying anything or suggesting I'd wished it hadn't happened, I'm just saying, it happened to happen NOW, and Pitino is suffering because of it, and there is no definitive evidence that points to his being at fault in this. So let it the F go, move on, look forward to next year and his next awesome recruiting class, and the return of Curry, too.

Man, I have to say, sometimes I HATE Gopher fans, they are such losers. There are so many cbb fans around the country who envy us and our having Pitino, and they'd all think we are INSANE for even considering letting him go.

Only in Gopherland would we think letting Pitino go was a good move. OMG.

Post of the century material right here...

I said what?? I didn't mean the envy of blue blood programs with great coaches, obviously. OMG.

I meant of the other 250+ schools out there struggling to just get into the tourney.

We went through one bad season, to get to last season, which was supposed to be merely a preempt to THIS season. Losing 3 of our Top 6 players was what? Pitino's fault? COME ON. Give me an Fing break.

First of all, there are only a select few coaches out there who could have figured out how to do better with our lineup this year than Pitino, and WE COULDN'T HAVE EVER GOTTEN ANY OF THOSE COACHES, or simply could not have recognized at that time that they would turn out to be as good as they are now.

Add Coffey AND Lynch back into our lineup and we are doing MUCH better, add Curry and we are competing with MSU and Purdue for the Conf Title.

Pitino got all of those guys to come here to play. Coffey is back now, Curry will be here next season, along with a pretty decent recruiting class. IW's game will come around and he'll be awesome.

It wasn't Pitino's fault that Curry got injured, and that Coffey got injured same time as Lynch got suspended.

Just bad luck, basically. Roll with it, don't cry to fire the coach. My goodness, you people just are insane. You really are. Fans around the country don't think we can do better and its not just about doing better, there is such a thing as integrity, he deserves the chance to show what he can do with the incredible recruits he has brought into this program, POST Konate-Gaston's Class. But they think we should keep the guy we got!!! ONLY Gopher fans and some wacked out man hating lesbians think we should fire Pitino. Oh, and probably the fans of the other 13 teams in the B1G probably?

Eric Musselman
Steve Forbes
Ben Jacobson
Niko Medved
Mike Hopkins

The worst 5 year period, including the Monson years???

#1 - Haskins cheated, nothing could be worse than his tenure. He robbed the Gophers of EVERYTHING. They basically lost every game under him, officially.

#2 - Monson?? Seriously? The difference between Monson and Pitino, is POTENTIAL. With Monson, there was never the potential to take the next step.

#3 - Tubby?? Same as Monson, with Tubby, there really was never the potential to move up to the next level.

#4 - INTEGRITY!! Pitino could have shown both Gaston and Konate the door, but he didn't. Short term we are suffering for it now, but only because of extenuating circumstances NOT under his control. Come next year, we'll have a great lineup, Curry will be back, new recruits will come in, we technically will not lose Lynch, he's already gone, so we have to make up for the loss of Mason, but otherwise, we'll gain more than we lose.

#5 - POTENTIAL!!! Pitino brought us hope, once we got past that one bad season, everything was on the upwards climb, until something beyond Pitino's control happened, then Coffey's injury came at the same time, how can you blame Pitino for this?? I mean, come on.

I don't give a rats ash if his first 5 years were the worst EVER, if his 2nd 5 years promise to be the BEST EVER, and they do.

It's that simple.

#1 - Haskins cheated, nothing could be worse than his tenure. He robbed the Gophers of EVERYTHING. They basically lost every game under him, officially.

#2 - Monson?? Seriously? The difference between Monson and Pitino, is POTENTIAL. With Monson, there was never the potential to take the next step.

#3 - Tubby?? Same as Monson, with Tubby, there really was never the potential to move up to the next level.

#4 - INTEGRITY!! Pitino could have shown both Gaston and Konate the door, but he didn't. Short term we are suffering for it now, but only because of extenuating circumstances NOT under his control. Come next year, we'll have a great lineup, Curry will be back, new recruits will come in, we technically will not lose Lynch, he's already gone, so we have to make up for the loss of Mason, but otherwise, we'll gain more than we lose.

#5 - POTENTIAL!!! Pitino brought us hope, once we got past that one bad season, everything was on the upwards climb, until something beyond Pitino's control happened, then Coffey's injury came at the same time, how can you blame Pitino for this?? I mean, come on.

I don't give a rats ash if his first 5 years were the worst EVER, if his 2nd 5 years promise to be the BEST EVER, and they do.

It's that simple.

What is the baseline for you next year to keep Pitino? I'm honestly curious what your opinion is. If we don't make the tourney next year, do you keep him?

It's that simple.

I like your passion, and I like your posts on the seldom visited hockey board. On there I think you have stated that it’s time for a coaching change. That program has not had any off the ice issues that I am aware of and they have underperformed, but not to the degree of losing to NW at home four seasons in a row.
One thing these programs have in common is the inability to close out a game through defense. You don’t need super stars to play defense and that is my biggest problem with Pitino’s team. I would like to see this team finish the season by playing hard. I want to see the players who play solid defense get rewarded with more playing time. Last night the crowd was begging this team to close out the game and make a stop, but NW kept getting layups. That to me shows poor coaching/effort.

What is the baseline for you next year to keep Pitino? I'm honestly curious what your opinion is. If we don't make the tourney next year, do you keep him?

NEXT YEAR??? Well, if we don't lose 3 of our top 6 players like we did this year, then yeah, not making the tourney would be a huge disappointment. No more Konate or Gaston to point to as excuses. Nothing but his 2nd to 5th classes in the roster, yeah, they'd have to make the tourney next year. If they didn't, and didn't have 2-3 of the top 6 players missing, THEN, start talking about letting him go.

But this year has to be a pass, same as 2 years ago. Last season showed us the potential that Pitino brings to this program, and this season can not be viewed as his fault. It just can't. Unless something comes out in the press that shows Pitino to be a total scum bag, he has to be given the benefit of the doubt and can't be held liable for both Curry and Lynch being non-factors, or for Coffey and McBreyers injuries compounding the problem throughout the season.

I like your passion, and I like your posts on the seldom visited hockey board. On there I think you have stated that it’s time for a coaching change. That program has not had any off the ice issues that I am aware of and they have underperformed, but not to the degree of losing to NW at home four seasons in a row.
One thing these programs have in common is the inability to close out a game through defense. You don’t need super stars to play defense and that is my biggest problem with Pitino’s team. I would like to see this team finish the season by playing hard. I want to see the players who play solid defense get rewarded with more playing time. Last night the crowd was begging this team to close out the game and make a stop, but NW kept getting layups. That to me shows poor coaching/effort.

Well, its easy to look like a genius of a coach with great players, and on the same token, its not hard to look like a bad coach with a lack of great players.

Does UMn win 8 in a row last year with a crappy coach?? I don't think our lineup was so packed with superstars that they could win 8 in a row without some decent coaching. A Senior getting injured and a team shooting the lights out stopped us from advancing in the NCAA tourney. MTSU shot the lights out the year before vs MSU and beat them, only to follow that up, just as they did last year, with a horrible shooting night in the 2nd round. They lived AND DIED by the 3. Their shooting so well and our being down a significant player, shouldn't detract from what Pitino did last year. And now this year, Lynch's troubles and Curry's injury and McBrayer being injured a lot and Coffey being out several games, none of that should be put on Pitino's shoulders. Next year we'll be rid off all of our dead weight, and it should be the start of a glorious future under Pitino.

There will be no coaching change in the Gopher Men's Hoops Program...

So regardless of your opinion of the current coach, they say every AD should have a short list. Who should be on Coyle's?

My list:

Long Shots:
Mike Brey-Notre Dame
Jamie Dixon-TCU (maybe not a total long shot)
Chris Mack-Xavier
Mick Cronin-Cincy
Frank Martin-SC (plus he's shady and involved in the scandal)
Brad Brownell-Clemson

Realistic (to varying degrees):
Eric Musselman-Nevada
Tad Boyle-Colorado
Tim Miles-Nebraska

Chris Beard-Texas Tech
Kevin Willard-Seton Hall
Mark Fox-UGa

Kevin Ollie-UConn (?)
Dan Hurley-Rhode Island
Jim Christian-BC
Leon Rice-Boise State
Nate Oats-Buffalo
Fran Dunphy-Temple (?)
Chris Mooney-Richmond

Others:

Rick Barnes-Tennessee
Ben Howland-Miss. St.
Tubby Smith-Memphis (I kid)

The administration at the U can not afford to Replace Dick Pitino. They would have to buy he and his staffers out and then come up with the money to bring in a new big dollar coach and staff. Dick Pitino is saved by his long-term, relatively expensive contract. Life is good for the long-term contract holding coach, in spite of the dismal Big Ten winning percentage well into the five year mark. The Athletic Director would have to be replaced to bring in a new men's hoops coach. We Minnesota Gopher Fans deserve exactly what we allow the administration to hire, give long term contracts to, give pay raises to. Dick Pitino will be here for three to four more seasons...and we, the GOPHER faithful, deserve what ever the administration gives us. In the revenue sports...the administration can only change coaches IF there is a CHEAP option at this point in time. The State Legislators are watching their every move and are not especially big fans of the "general managing skills" of AD Coyle & the current head man at the U. 2-7 in Big Ten Football last season and 3-7 in Big Ten men's Hoops to date this season. We pretty much get what they give us...it would seem.

just keep repeating......We're going to be so much better next year with the new recruits.......we're going to be so much better next year with the new recruits......we're going to be so much better next year with the new recruits.

If you say it often enough, it might even turn out to be true.

Look - the recruiting class has potential. But, at this point, that's all it is.....potential. Potential doesn't mean squat if it isn't realized.

The real question is whether Pitino - and his staff - can realize the potential.

I don't know. I see some things on the floor I really don't like. Players who look like they're pouting. Guys playing for themselves and their stats, not the team. Yes, some of that reflects on the players - but it also reflects on the coaches.

Remember a few months ago when a lot of fans - and posters - were SO excited about "Jelly" coming in as a hot-shot recruit. Now, he's getting splinters in his butt and people suspect he may transfer. Is his potential being realized?

But, we're going to be so much better next year with the new recruits..............

Injuries happen. Ours have been unfortunate. Our depth issues were obvious to anyone paying attention. That falls on the coach.

just keep repeating......We're going to be so much better next year with the new recruits.......we're going to be so much better next year with the new recruits......we're going to be so much better next year with the new recruits.

If you say it often enough, it might even turn out to be true.

Look - the recruiting class has potential. But, at this point, that's all it is.....potential. Potential doesn't mean squat if it isn't realized.

The real question is whether Pitino - and his staff - can realize the potential.

I don't know. I see some things on the floor I really don't like. Players who look like they're pouting. Guys playing for themselves and their stats, not the team. Yes, some of that reflects on the players - but it also reflects on the coaches.

Remember a few months ago when a lot of fans - and posters - were SO excited about "Jelly" coming in as a hot-shot recruit. Now, he's getting splinters in his butt and people suspect he may transfer. Is his potential being realized?

But, we're going to be so much better next year with the new recruits..............

Freshman at the level that we recruit rarely come in and set the world on fire. Mason was OK. Murphy was pretty good. But the idea that they're going to elevate us to another level next year is wishful thinking. Their only hope to be significantly better is if IW improves massively or we get another PG.

It's that simple.

So you mentioned integrity, do not go there. You do not care about the 5 year stretch of pathetic conference record and numerous character issues. Your right about that he can not control injuries . However you give him a pass on everything, what about terrible defense, year 5 and still not a single thing that identifies the program. What do you think he should have to be better at. What of that incredibly poor record. I am not comparing to blue bloods but what off mediocre programs that became great programs quick and clean by hitting a grand slam hire. Why are fans bad for wanting way more than what Pitino has delivered.

There are things i do not like about Ryan but he would finish with a winning conference record with what we have on this roster and would easily be over .500 in conference over the 5 years we just had. He would require great defense and efficient offense.

OMG, even UNC and Duke would suck this season up and handle it with more honor.
Terrible teams to even bring up. Nobody would complain about one bad season because they both have recent multiple national championships in their back pockets. Duke has had ONE losing ACC record since 1984. But lest you forget, North Carolina pushed out Matt Doherty three seasons in because he missed back-to-back NCAA tournaments.
KillmeNow said:
Add Coffey AND Lynch back into our lineup and we are doing MUCH better, add Curry and we are competing with MSU and Purdue for the Conf Title.
This is what I find so hard to believe. A player gets injured and suddenly some Gopher fans elevate that missing player to NBA All-Star status. This team was struggling even when they were only missing Curry. They got dominated by a middle-of-the-pack SEC Arkansas team. Nearly every easier non-conference opponent lit them up from the outside. The defense couldn't get a stop against a Miami team that isn't exactly crushing the ACC. They've shot rather p!ss pour from 3 in most of their losses. This team looks poorly coached. Ah, **** it....I am wasting my breath. This team could finish 5-13 and I am sure you will think Lynch & Curry would have made them 16-2 Big Ten Champs.
KillmeNow said:
I think you are not remembering correctly here. I could be wrong but I swear people were pretty excited for Tubby's second and/or third seasons. Gophers had made the tournament. Rodney and Royce signed up to play. Potential! Then everything fell flat for 2 seasons.

Hey, I am not saying that Pitino should be fired yet. I am just highly skeptical that he can get the job done. One 8 game conference win streak in 5 seasons seems a lot to pin your "certainties for greatness" on. Even Monson managed a winning 10-6 record one season.

Top Bottom