WOULD MICHAEL HURT BE ALL CONFERENCE IN THE MIAC?

Rudrud would have a very good chance at becoming All Conference in the MIAC although I don’t think I’d take him over SJU’s SG.

There is no one in the MIAC who is 6-7, 220 that can stroke it from 3 like Hurt would be able to at that level. In fact, there aren’t a ton of 6-7, 220 pound guys in the MIAC period.

And I just watched the SJU-UST game, two of the top 3 MIAC teams this year. Hurt would dominate those guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to ignore this thread, but because it's still going and I watch a lot of MIAC games.. The answer is yes, absolutely.

Rudrud would have a very good chance at becoming All Conference in the MIAC although I don’t think I’d take him over SJU’s SG.

There is no one in the MIAC who is 6-7, 220 that can stroke it from 3 like Hurt would be able to at that level. In fact, there aren’t a ton of 6-7, 220 pound guys in the MIAC period.

And I just watched the SJU-UST game, two of the top 3 MIAC teams this year. Hurt would dominate those guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

St Thomas is 7th in he MIAC. Why did you lie about that

St Thomas is 7th in he MIAC. Why did you lie about that

Dear god, I'm so sorry about "lying" that UST is a top 3 MIAC team right now. I did not realize they were that low this year.

Last year, UST was #1 in the MIAC standings and this year, SJU is #1 so I'd say over the last two years, these two programs along with Bethel have been two of the top 3 programs in the MIAC. But I'm really sorry about "lying" about UST current standing. I don't know how I'll live with myself after that.

I said this when Hurt was recruited and I say it again: Hurt's release is too slow which means he doesn't get good looks from the arc. Hurt is not athletic enough to play above the rim. His one positive is he's a decent passer. He was not someone to get excited about, but the GH thought he was the second coming of Blake Hoffarber.
Nothing we can do now. Smile and hope Michael gets a good education. He may help on the scout team.

It didn't seem to hurt Joey King who had a very slow release. He's had open shots, he just doesn't take them.

It didn't seem to hurt Joey King who had a very slow release. He's had open shots, he just doesn't take them.
Joey had good form on his shot. Hurt has an unorthodox grip. He'll be more inconsistent with his release.
My point. Don't expect much from Hurt when he's on the court.

MennoSota, it's not his release, just like Michigan doesn't have a basic 4 out motion offense...it's finding his shot and being ready to take it (if the ball is ever passed to him in those scenarios). Somebody said Mason passed him the ball a couple games ago going to the basket. Two things, scary to have to reference a play a couple games ago when "passing" to somebody, and second is it was on a backcut instead of a spot of 3. They do not use him appropriately and Michael has become a non-threat, play hard, try to defend and rebound guy. When you recruit a shooter, you tell them to shoot, that's what we brought you here to do. I don't think Pitino tells him to shoot, in fact, early in the season Hurt was quoted saying Pitino wants him to "defend and rebound, we have enough guys that can score".

I watch D3 hoops weekly and have a ton of respect for their game! Some of the top players could be productive at the D1 level, mainly because they have developed their game and CONFIDENCE in their game. With that said, Michael would be a league MVP/All-American type of player at the D3 level. He would average a good amount of rebounds and assists, be a match-up guy, play multiple positions, and fill most all statistical categories. He would need to take a couple shots in order to do that, but obviously that would happen quickly.

I've heard from reliable sources that Northwestern is astounded (& grateful) by the way the Gophers use Hurt!

Nice to see Michael finally had a breakout game against Northwestern. 0-1 shooting. 0 pts. What does his 15ft jumper look like? Ive never seen it.

Joey had good form on his shot. Hurt has an unorthodox grip. He'll be more inconsistent with his release.
My point. Don't expect much from Hurt when he's on the court.

The type of release and how slow it is are two different things.

My brother is a registered official and sees a lot of games in SE MN. When Hurt signed with the Gophers, my brother said Hurt's strength was outside shooting. (and my brother is not a B.S. guy - he's pretty candid with his assessments, so if he says Hurt can shoot, I believe him.)

Either Hurt has lost all confidence in his shot, or someone is telling him not to shoot. I'm afraid this one goes into the bucket of "questions about the way the coaching staff handles the players."

I am NOT saying Hurt should or would be a star. I'm just saying that, from everything I've been told about Hurt, he should be able to contribute more on offense. If the Gophers recruited him just to have a shot at the younger brother, I'm afraid we are looking at the second coming of the Ellensons.

Either Hurt has lost all confidence in his shot, or someone is telling him not to shoot.

I believe it is a confidence thing, he get's plenty of open looks, just needs to let em fly.

I thought he would loosen up while playing summer league, nope. It was the same thing, too timid to pull the trigger... He was playing with Tyus though.

The type of release and how slow it is are two different things.
Yep, but put the two together and you get an average to below average shooter at the D1 level.
Hurt, by all accounts, sounds like a great kid so this is no dig on him as a person.

My brother is a registered official and sees a lot of games in SE MN. When Hurt signed with the Gophers, my brother said Hurt's strength was outside shooting. (and my brother is not a B.S. guy - he's pretty candid with his assessments, so if he says Hurt can shoot, I believe him.)

Either Hurt has lost all confidence in his shot, or someone is telling him not to shoot. I'm afraid this one goes into the bucket of "questions about the way the coaching staff handles the players."

I am NOT saying Hurt should or would be a star. I'm just saying that, from everything I've been told about Hurt, he should be able to contribute more on offense. If the Gophers recruited him just to have a shot at the younger brother, I'm afraid we are looking at the second coming of the Ellensons.
In all fairness, son, SE Minnesota isn't a hotbed of talent. Hurt's competition made him look better than he is as a D1 player.

I can vouch for the fact that he was a very good shooter in high school. Both for JM and D1 Minnesota. His stats will vouch for that fact too.

In all fairness, son, SE Minnesota isn't a hotbed of talent. Hurt's competition made him look better than he is as a D1 player.

What about in AAU when he played against other future D1 players?

What about in AAU when he played against other future D1 players?
AAU? You mean the no defense league? A trained seal could score in AAU.
AAU is a trigger to rile me up. It's a pathetic joke that milks parents of their hard earned money. Please, let's just stick to Hurt on this thread.

Would a team that included of Fitz, Hurt, Konate, Dhiedu finish in the upper half of MIAC?

Yes, he would probably dominate that conference. That said, he isn't a strong D1 player. I also don't feel like he is much of a shooter either. Only time I have seen him shoot from deep it's been a brick.

I can vouch for the fact that he was a very good shooter in high school. Both for JM and D1 Minnesota. His stats will vouch for that fact too.

Short is your brother? That makes sense.

I have little doubt he is a good shooter, just needs start launching and not get down on himself if he misses.

This is one of the stupidest topics I've ever seen on gopherhole. Hurt is what he is. He is a guy that can play 5-10 minutes a game and is gonna play his butt off and is a good teammate. He could be a little more aggressive with his shot at times but he is a very good passer and I'd rather have someone like him coming off the bench passing up some shots than a guy coming in and throwing up bad shots consistently. Hurt has improved his defense a lot this year and always seems to be in the right position. I don't think he is ever gonna be a star on this team but he is a solid depth piece that good teams need.

I'd rather have someone like him coming off the bench passing up some shots than a guy coming in and throwing up bad shots consistently.

I agree for the most part, but he needs to stop passing up good looks.

It's definitely a confidence issue, shooting was his strength in High school. I've seen him light it up while his 8th grade brother played PG.

A lot players lose their confidence under Pitino. It's not even funny; Washington is another clear example. smh

I've seen this kinda coaching many times micro & mismanagement of too many players.

Let go of the ego and let the kids play ball is my best advice

A lot players lose their confidence under Pitino. It's not even funny; Washington is another clear example. smh

That has been true. In a separate thread, I listed a number of players who I felt played worse over time under Pitino. I didn't list Washington because I think it is too early to tell whether or not he has lost his confidence.

AAU? You mean the no defense league? A trained seal could score in AAU.
AAU is a trigger to rile me up. It's a pathetic joke that milks parents of their hard earned money. Please, let's just stick to Hurt on this thread.

How is talking about how Hurt did in AAU not about Hurt? A quick Google search shows he shot 64/148 (43.2%) from three his senior year. I don't care that it wasn't against top notch competition. Dude can shoot a lot better than what he has shown so far as a Gopher. He clearly has confidence issues and that affects how a person shoots.

How is talking about how Hurt did in AAU not about Hurt? A quick Google search shows he shot 64/148 (43.2%) from three his senior year. I don't care that it wasn't against top notch competition. Dude can shoot a lot better than what he has shown so far as a Gopher. He clearly has confidence issues and that affects how a person shoots.
I can shoot a lot better when no one guards me...

I can shoot a lot better when no one guards me...

So you’re saying he’s shooting a lower percentage because he’s been taking shots with defenders in his face? What games have you been watching? He rarely shoots, but when he does, he’s wide open.

So you’re saying he’s shooting a lower percentage because he’s been taking shots with defenders in his face? What games have you been watching? He rarely shoots, but when he does, he’s wide open.
I'm saying he's not a very good shooter.

Top Bottom