Talk About Multiple Sports Here

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
Let's talk about the state of the whole (all 23 sports) here.

LOL, I was going to either do this myself or suggest to Ignatius to do it.

So new facilities are a very good thing for football and basketball, both programs that have desperately needed such for a very long time.

And I've heard the indirect benefits to the non-rev sports is significant. But are there any sports that still need help or that got left out somehow??

Lots of programs have gotten new facilities recently, from Rowing to Baseball to track.

I guess I'm asking, what now? What is the next step needed to bolster, support or help improve the whole of Gopher athletics??

Or can we take a collective breath for now and just sit back and enjoy the benefits of the new facilities?

Any insiders who might know in more detail how these facilities positively affect the individual sports? I know its been touched on in other forums and threads, but people hate when you talk soccer in the softball thread, etc.. So maybe this is the best place to discuss it in greater detail?

Various facility improvements and construction.

Wrestling:

https://www.twincities.com/2018/01/05/gophers-wrestling-coach-brandon-eggum-charts-new-course/

The offices for the Gophers wrestling program share a small entryway with the cross country teams in the Bierman Field Athletic Building.

The wrestling team’s basement practice room has exercise equipment and weight sets clogging that entrance. Out on the mats, pillars and jutting corners limit space for workouts in sauna-like heat.

This spartan setup is where the Gophers have been preparing for the start of the Big Ten Conference season against Michigan State at 1 p.m. Sunday at Maturi Pavilion, and it’s where Minnesota molded three NCAA championship teams under former coach J Robinson, in 2001, 2002 and 2007.

Come next fall, the Gophers wrestling program spreads out. The department’s new Athletes Village project boasts off-field amenities for all athletes and gleaming new practice facilities for football and men’s and women’s basketball. That means those three teams also vacate spaces to be filled by other sports.

So, the basketball courts inside Bierman will be remodeled for wrestling, including new glass offices overlooking 7,500 square feet of uninterrupted mat space. A cardio room will be tucked on the side, and the U’s existing weight room sits next door.

Golf:

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-golf/spec-rel/121517aaa.html

With generous support from donors behind it, the new Minnesota golf practice facility was officially approved Friday by the Board of Regents at its final meeting of the semester.

Largely funded by a leadership gift of $1 million by the John W. Mooty Foundation, the new facility will be named in honor of the Mooty family patriarch when construction begins this spring. It is slated to open later in 2018.

“We are excited to have the groundbreaking for this transformative facility in our sights and approval from the Board of Regents,” said head women’s golf coach Michele Redman. “The benefits to our student-athletes are numerous, and we are appreciative of the support we have received from the Mooty family and all of our donors.”

The center will provide the first dedicated indoor training space in the history of the Gopher golf programs, something other programs across the Big Ten and the nation have enjoyed for decades. Despite being the northern-most school in the conference, Minnesota is one of only a few Big Ten programs without a facility for year-round, full swing and short game training.

Track and Field:

https://cppm.umn.edu/track-field-facility

Twin Cities Campus | East Bank
The project will construct a new Track & Field Facility at the Athletes Village Site at the current location of the Recreation Sports Bubble and Softball Field. The 9 lane track will also include areas for field events such as discuss/ hammer throw, long jump, pole vault, etc. The facility will include 3,740 square feet of support facilities required for a NCAA competition track including restrooms, press box, and 4,000 seat capacity (permanent and temporary) stands.

Thanks for the info Ignatius. Keep it coming, if you can?

Shouldn't forget volleyball: Video of current facilities and, at 1:15, quick shots of a "planned volleyball performance center".

Where do I sign up? Oh wait, I'm too old, too short, and too male, lol. But wow!! Truly a great time to be a Gopher fan, exciting stuff.

So Ignatius, what about hockey, how does all of this affect hockey?

Hockey: From last year's StarTrib: (As far as I know, the final phase, reducing the rink to NHL size, is not yet funded).

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-move-into-renovated-mariucci-arena-locker-room/395138391/

The renovation includes new locker rooms, training rooms, a film room, players lounge, weight room and shooting station. It is privately funded by alumni and boosters.

“Mariucci was built in ’93. There have been a lot of facilities built and upgraded since that time. We need to do our upgrades, too,” Lucia said after the renovations were approved last fall. He helped lead the fundraising campaign and eventually expects the rink size to be updated to NHL standards.

Hockey: From last year's StarTrib: (As far as I know, the final phase, reducing the rink to NHL size, is not yet funded).

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-move-into-renovated-mariucci-arena-locker-room/395138391/

The renovation includes new locker rooms, training rooms, a film room, players lounge, weight room and shooting station. It is privately funded by alumni and boosters.

“Mariucci was built in ’93. There have been a lot of facilities built and upgraded since that time. We need to do our upgrades, too,” Lucia said after the renovations were approved last fall. He helped lead the fundraising campaign and eventually expects the rink size to be updated to NHL standards.

Fing AWESOME!!! How cool would it be to be a young super star athlete these days? My father played college bb and fb and had to wear a leather helmet(although that may have been only in HS?). Things have definitely changed since his time, lol.

He also became a Gopher fan while listening to the Gophers win Natl Titles in FOOTBALL on the radio. So yeah, things have changed since his playing days. Unfortunately.

Now all we need is a home run hire to replace Lucia, hopefully Grant P after next season?

I take it they were able to work it out with the "water table" issues to deal with the rink size?

Top Bottom