Minnesota United 2018 Season Thread

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
Camp has started!!!!!!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yep getting excited! Has there been any news about Ramirez's call up? Seems like they did a good job in the draft, but still waiting for them to make a bigger signing. They didn't miss the play offs by much last year, a faster start this spring will make the end of the season much more interesting!

Anybody else buying the hat pack?

When do you think they will sign 1, 2, or 3 of their cap exempt players?

I am guessing they won't spend until they move into their stadium.

When do you think they will sign 1, 2, or 3 of their cap exempt players?

I am guessing they won't spend until they move into their stadium.

I'm a little afraid their "business plan" is to wait to make any of those signings until year 2 in the stadium. Next year there will be enough excitement just because of the new stadium and as long as they win some games at home and are competitive they have no incentive to spend.. I guess maybe it's my jaded MN sports fan mind taking over..

I'm a little afraid their "business plan" is to wait to make any of those signings until year 2 in the stadium. Next year there will be enough excitement just because of the new stadium and as long as they win some games at home and are competitive they have no incentive to spend.. I guess maybe it's my jaded MN sports fan mind taking over..

I hope not but I know in my heart you're probably right.

They need to sign 1-2 more starting-quality players before the regular season starts. Sad to see it has been so quiet on the signing front, since as it stands now there seems to be little to no ambition to even squeak into the playoffs.

On the bright side, super excited to see the new kits this year. Rumor that we might see the return of the winged jerseys...

The kit teasers have been killing me, also excited to see them!

I think they think they have a team that will squeak into the play offs already. Take away our horrible start last year and we likely have enough points to squeak in as we weren't that far off. It would be nice to add at least 1 more sure starter and maybe 1-2 more capable back ups for when national team call ups happen. It was obvious we had very little depth last year.

Kits have leaked; no wing, but I personally really like the look. I'll pick one up this year, I think.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Also ... the Loons talks with Nicolas Benedetti have apparently really heated up but don't seem to be going anywhere promising. The most recent news is that MNUFC upped their offer to $8.5 million (which seems insane for a bit of a gamble, but I'm glad to see the club willing to spend serious cash on someone they think can be world class).

It's nice to see them finally trying to spend some actual money!

TV deal with Fox Sports North will be official soon. Looks like it will be announced after the 2nd period of the Wild game tonight.

TV deal with Fox Sports North will be official soon. Looks like it will be announced after the 2nd period of the Wild game tonight.

It's official - about half the games will be on FSN, half on FSN+ (due to competing schedules with the Twins/Wild/Twolves who get top billing). Also - the games will be simulcast on FS Wisconsin, which gives the Loons a pretty big reach in terms of "home market." Great news for getting the team some publicity.

Great news! Just got my email they will be sending out tickets soon.

It's official - about half the games will be on FSN, half on FSN+ (due to competing schedules with the Twins/Wild/Twolves who get top billing). Also - the games will be simulcast on FS Wisconsin, which gives the Loons a pretty big reach in terms of "home market." Great news for getting the team some publicity.

And the usual critics in the Strib comments don't get it. FSN (soon to be ESPN Minnesota) will be great. Bigger reach than Channel 29.

And the usual critics in the Strib comments don't get it. FSN (soon to be ESPN Minnesota) will be great. Bigger reach than Channel 29.

It doesn’t surprise me that those mouth breathers don’t get it.

It does disappoint me that ESPN is taking over the Fox RSNs though. I generally like the Fox Sports Go app better than ESPN app. I think it’s more reliable and the picture is better. The one benefit is that hopefully all of our teams games will be archived for replay in the ESPN app.

I wonder how mad my wife will be when I buy a new jersey every year...

United gives up two goals in 1:05 to San Jose.

That includes the first goal celebration.

San Jose adds one more.

Molino scores in the 80th minute and then the 84th to make it tense.

Three points in Orlando!! Finlay with the brace.

Hope Molino's injury isn't too bad...

Highlights from Orlando:

Finlay's first:
<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/s/o35i1/hemghn" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Finlay's second:
<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/s/ji4rv/vnbswx" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Ibson's goalline clearance:
<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/s/3gmdy/kaloka" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Jamie Watson still has the moves:
<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/s/cymgd/zpelid" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Is there any news on Molino's injury yet? It would really hurt to lose him.

Weather for the home opener looks slightly different than last year. 48 and sunny with light winds sure sounds good to me!

Sellout expected for Saturday. Allianz Field isn't gonna be big enough which will make for a great atmosphere.

Should be a great day for the opener! Interested to see what they do with Molino out.

Nicholson really showed up today. What a stark contrast from the start of last season! COYL!!

Sellout expected for Saturday. Allianz Field isn't gonna be big enough which will make for a great atmosphere.

It should be closer to 25,000. Isn't it supposed to be 19,000? If so, that would be too small.

Nicholson really showed up today. What a stark contrast from the start of last season! COYL!!

Nicholson was great and so was Finlay. Their connection for the 2nd goal was as perfect as it gets. The whole team was putting in max effort the whole game, winning 50/50 balls, pressuring non stop creating a lot of turn overs. It was a great game to watch. Props to both Nicholson and Finlay for their extra effort at the end. Not sure how they could still run at those speeds in the 90th + minute but there were pressuring all over!

Starting the season 2-1 after the start we had last year feels great. The crowd was definitely into it. More scarves this year than last on corner kicks. Lower bowl packed!

It should be closer to 25,000. Isn't it supposed to be 19,000? If so, that would be too small.

25,000 would be too big. I would have been OK in the 21,000 range but not much higher than that. 25k would have put them in the top 5 or so in the league (minus the teams that play in football stadiums). 19k is on the lower side but we have so many sports in this market I'm OK with the smaller capacity. Plus it will make it easier to sell my season tickets when I can't make it!

25,000 would be too big. I would have been OK in the 21,000 range but not much higher than that. 25k would have put them in the top 5 or so in the league (minus the teams that play in football stadiums). 19k is on the lower side but we have so many sports in this market I'm OK with the smaller capacity. Plus it will make it easier to sell my season tickets when I can't make it!

That's fair. I would think they are leaving money on the table by not going to 21,000, judging by current attendance.

That's fair. I would think they are leaving money on the table by not going to 21,000, judging by current attendance.

Yeah I'd agree with that. Maybe they can sell the tickets for more? I know they are using a lot of the space to create suites, and other fancy seating options that probably take away 1-2k seats. They are trying to make the game day experience exceptional so they say. I'll just be buying regular tickets but it would be fun to upgrade to the fancy seats every once in a while.

Top Bottom