Good news for Limegrover and 2019 Gophers

OddStack

Reaction score
Limegrover was given the title of "Run Game Coordinator". Consequently, he will be given a 5 minute period the first spring practice and his playbook will be entirely implemented.

On a side note, Bart Miller was hired away from Air Force (TE) to coach OL at Ohio.

Limegrover was given the title of "Run Game Coordinator". Consequently, he will be given a 5 minute period the first spring practice and his playbook will be entirely implemented.

On a side note, Bart Miller was hired away from Air Force (TE) to coach OL at Ohio.

His running game was much more complex than what you saw in year "0".

His running game was much more complex than what you saw in year "0".

LOL. Because Limegrover's #RUTM is sssssooooooooo much more complex and sophisticated. :rolleyes:

Hope the Nittany Lions are ready for this formation come spring practice.

footballflyingwedge.jpg

The Limegrover stuff reminds me of the Jedd Fisch bashing.

People kept bashing Jedd Fisch and he just kept getting bigger and better jobs in college and the NFL.

Limegrover has been having success at Penn State.

Maybe, just maybe it had something to do with the amount of talent they were working with?

Note - I also defended PJ's playcalling. When you don't have the weapons, it's hard to do much.

People kept bashing Jedd Fisch and he just kept getting bigger and better jobs in college and the NFL.

Maybe, just maybe it had something to do with the amount of talent they were working with?

Note - I also defended PJ's playcalling. When you don't have the weapons, it's hard to do much.

I picture Jedd Fisch's job interviews like this:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Read any assessment of Penn State’s offense and it will tell you that their OL is THE weakness. I’m not blaming Limegrover, but assuming that Penn State’s success has something to do with him and is not primarily due to their offensive skill players, is dumb.

Read any assessment of Penn State’s offense and it will tell you that their OL is THE weakness. I’m not blaming Limegrover, but assuming that Penn State’s success has something to do with him and is not primarily due to their offensive skill players, is dumb.

Cool. No one did that.

I said Limegrover has been successful at Penn State. He got another job in the Big 10. He was partially credited for helping turnaround Penn State's offense in 2016 (rightfully or wrongfully, I don't know). Things are going alright for him and he is largely mocked on here as being an idiot for his playcalling.

It's similar to how PJ was mocked last year. Our offense was boring and terrible. Did PJ/Ciarocca just lack imagination? Or maybe does a lack of talent kind of limit what you can call.

Cool. No one did that.

I said Limegrover has been successful at Penn State. He got another job in the Big 10. He was partially credited for helping turnaround Penn State's offense in 2016 (rightfully or wrongfully, I don't know). Things are going alright for him and he is largely mocked on here as being an idiot for his playcalling.

It's similar to how PJ was mocked last year. Our offense was boring and terrible. Did PJ/Ciarocca just lack imagination? Or maybe does a lack of talent kind of limit what you can call.
It could be talent or it could be coaching or it could be both. I thought your point was focused on the Offensive line. I would suggest that during Limegrover’s time as OC, Coach Kill was as much to blame as anyone for the lack of creativity on Offense. He spent most of his time with his hands on the offense and trusted Claeys to run the Defense.

Last season, the lack of a solid QB killed the Gophers.

It's interesting how Limegrover gets blamed for the "RUTM," while Coach C, and Co. get a pass. No double standard there. They both had All-B1G caliber backs to work with (Smith and Brooks), and shoddy offensive lines lacking depth. You could argue Limegrover was at a disadvantage because he didn't have this stud RBs as more developed upperclassman. And now, when convenient, it's all because Leidner was a great QB, even though those same guys called him a DIII Tight End a couple years ago?

Make whatever excuses you'd like. That's all they are is excuses. Most are inconsistent, and put the bias on full display.

It's interesting how Limegrover gets blamed for the "RUTM," while Coach C, and Co. get a pass. No double standard there. They both had All-B1G caliber backs to work with (Smith and Brooks), and shoddy offensive lines lacking depth. You could argue Limegrover was at a disadvantage because he didn't have this stud RBs as more developed upperclassman. And now, when convenient, it's all because Leidner was a great QB, even though those same guys called him a DIII Tight End a couple years ago?

Make whatever excuses you'd like. That's all they are is excuses. Most are inconsistent, and put the bias on full display.

People will generally be more patient when it's a new staff. And I don't think anyone has said Leidner was great, just that he was better than the QB production this year. I don't think anyone can argue otherwise.

In all honesty, I think it's a lack of talent on offense. We have good backs and had good backs during Limegrover's tenure here.

However, the Kill/Claeys regime failed to develop a real good QB, WRs or a great offensive line. If we want to blame our lack of offensive output on not being able to recruit/develop talent, that's fair. Playcalling? Meh.

Obviously, I am not blaming Coach C. or Fleck for our lack of weapons on offense, but the lack of weapons makes playcalling extremely difficult.

Limegrover's gameplan against Nebraska in 2013 with all the pre-snap shifts and multiple formations was a thing of beauty. My opinion of him increased greatly after that game and you won't find me criticizing him much. In the end though, other teams scout formations and pre-snap stuff and it simply takes athletes and execution to succeed. I get the sense Kill's RUTM clock-draining strategy had an impact on the play calling as well.

It could be talent or it could be coaching or it could be both. I thought your point was focused on the Offensive line. I would suggest that during Limegrover’s time as OC, Coach Kill was as much to blame as anyone for the lack of creativity on Offense. He spent most of his time with his hands on the offense and trusted Claeys to run the Defense.

Last season, the lack of a solid QB killed the Gophers.

Just last season? Or the past 50 years?

Limegrover's gameplan against Nebraska in 2013 with all the pre-snap shifts and multiple formations was a thing of beauty. My opinion of him increased greatly after that game and you won't find me criticizing him much. In the end though, other teams scout formations and pre-snap stuff and it simply takes athletes and execution to succeed. I get the sense Kill's RUTM clock-draining strategy had an impact on the play calling as well.

Agree, the Nebraska game plan was beautiful. I think Kill was heavily involved with the conservative offensive philosophy.

Let's rewind for a minute.

Offense was bland and lacked creativity with Limegrover as the OC and OL coach.
Offense was bland and lacked creativity with Jay Johnson as the OC and Bart Miller as the O-line coach.
Offense was bland and lacked creativity with Kirk C as the OC and Ed Warinner as the O-line coach.

I see a pattern. Option 1 is that all of our offensive coaches have been poor-to-mediocre. Option 2 is that we haven't had "draftable seniors" (i.e. significant talent at QB, WR or O-line).

The offense was pretty bland under Kill/Limey/Claeys but I was wondering the other day what would have happened had Kill pegged Limey as the interim Head Coach and Limey been given a contract by interim AD like Claeys did. I think he is a better communicator publicly and he maybe would have been a better leader of the program.

The offense was pretty bland under Kill/Limey/Claeys but I was wondering the other day what would have happened had Kill pegged Limey as the interim Head Coach and Limey been given a contract by interim AD like Claeys did. I think he is a better communicator publicly and he maybe would have been a better leader of the program.

Perhaps he would have fired Claeys.:)

Top Bottom