Tackling is poor at all levels

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
I think it is a trend in higher level football and that seems that nobody wraps the runner or receiver up anymore. They just come in with the shoulder. It the runner is strong or as good balance they either don't go down at all or gain enough extra yards for the first down. I noticed it a lot in college football and a number of times in the Viking game against the Eagles. Announcers make seem to make sure they point it out when a good form tackle happens.

I read something once that the smaller player doesn't absorb as much of a blow with a shoulder only tackle and that is why they do it. Don't know if that is true or not. Because of the concussion problem this could get worse as they have fewer live tackling drills in high school. Our local high school doesn't have any live tackling. Only form tackling because they want to avoid concussion.

I see a lot of bad tackles.... but I actually feel like I see a lot more better tackles than bad in recent years.

I think one issue is the speed of the game. When you need to close the distance at full speed because the guy you're trying to tackle is crazy fast and will disappear in about a second... you're gonna have trouble wrapping up or even hitting them.

Rugby style tackling happens at all speeds and with good form so I don’t buy the speed of play thing. You can hit someone harder, force more turnovers, and make more highlight films with shoulder tackling while potentially decreasing the brunt of the hit you take. That’s my thought

Rugby style tackling happens at all speeds and with good form so I don’t buy the speed of play thing. You can hit someone harder, force more turnovers, and make more highlight films with shoulder tackling while potentially decreasing the brunt of the hit you take. That’s my thought

I think the situation determines how easy it is to make a great tackle. It is just too easy to say "hey do that all the time".

Lots of folks see a borderline lateral pass thrown high to a stationary receiver and a great tackle by the DB who gets a running start at a WR who got hung out to dry and say "oh man great tackle" and then wonder why a safety can't do the same to a WR who is moving in open space. Let alone situations where you're hitting a big RB coming downhill and other situations.

I think the situation determines how easy it is to make a great tackle. It is just too easy to say "hey do that all the time".

Lots of folks see a borderline lateral pass thrown high to a stationary receiver and a great tackle by the DB who gets a running start at a WR who got hung out to dry and say "oh man great tackle" and then wonder why a safety can't do the same to a WR who is moving in open space. Let alone situations where you're hitting a big RB coming downhill and other situations.

That is a very good point as well

I know this is a Gopher site but I can just look back a number of times in the Viking game where there was no excuse to not wrapping up and it would have kept the receiver from gaining a first down. Open field tackling is one of the toughest tasks in football. So I am not referring to those. I was taught head across the front and I taught it to my athletes. However , I can remember many times taking that blow to the head when the knee came up and knocked me in the head. So I can understand why they don't want to do it.

Since we're focused on what was seen yesterday...several flea-flickers across the two games. Seem to remember one or two against the Gophers over the season too...or maybe confusing with other games...maybe NC with GA-AL?

Players practice tackling, at every level, far less than they used to. It is bound to show up on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, it hurts like hell to tackle. It's a nightmare for a DB to fill and bring down a 230lb RB or take down a 260lb TE.

"Wrapping up" is a shoulder injury in the making.

To be fair, it hurts like hell to tackle. It's a nightmare for a DB to fill and bring down a 230lb RB or take down a 260lb TE.

"Wrapping up" is a shoulder injury in the making.

Yep, the landscape has totally changed. There are running backs and TEs now that weighr as much offensive lineman did in the 80s, while running a 4.4 40 (yes, Dpo, they do). Look at Latavius Murray's combine numbers. Then, add a 240-250 pound LB or 220 SS that runs just as fast. It's like a head on car crash. Go ahead and break down put your helmet between the numbers of a Derrick Henry, or even a guy like Shannon Brooks, 5-6 times per game after they get a 10-yard head of steam. Not only will they steamroll you and put you on "c'mon man," on ESPN, but it'll also likely end your career early at best....at worst, debilitating neurological/neck/back/joint issues from the age 35 on.

We're just starting to see what this new breed of football, with incredible hulks running all over the field, does to a person's body. Junior Seau and Tyler Sash. These guys are just the tip of the iceberg. As we progress into the future, we're going to see some alarming stuff. Boston University tested the brains of 91 deceased former NFL players, they confirmed CTE in 87 of those. Alarming. College ball is more physical now than the NFL was back when the majority of these guys played.

Kind of a tangent there, but the moral is expect a lot of ankle tackles. Escpecially from college kids, the majority of whom won't make a dime off of playing football upon graduation.

I know this is a Gopher site but I can just look back a number of times in the Viking game where there was no excuse to not wrapping up and it would have kept the receiver from gaining a first down. Open field tackling is one of the toughest tasks in football. So I am not referring to those. I was taught head across the front and I taught it to my athletes. However , I can remember many times taking that blow to the head when the knee came up and knocked me in the head. So I can understand why they don't want to do it.

Good point. Really bad tackling by the Vikings throughout the years. One of the many reasons that they got destroyed by the Eagles. Totally destroyed. Weren’t in the same league. Skol Vikings!!!

Has someone written a book, "Tackling For Dummies" yet?

Top Bottom