2018 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

The thing is.....if the Skins are only expecting a throw away pick.....why would they take the risk of franchising him and being stuck with his salary? There are four top ten talent QB's in this years draft. For a few of the teams that I mentioned with high picks.....I would suspect that they are looking to find a QB in the draft. I think the most likely landing spots for Cousins would be in Arizona or Kansas City. Two teams that could very well compete next year with competent QB play.

Why would Kansas City trade Smith and then acquire Cousins? The entire reason they traded Smith is that they are rolling with Mahomes. There is zero chance of Cousins in KC. Denver and Minnesota are the most likely spots IMO. Jets and Arizona as well, but Cousins wants to win now. If Cousins indicates he will refuse to sign an extension, no one is giving the Redskins anything of value.

I agree it's a dumb risk for the Skins. Even if they eventually trade him, they could end up unable to sign any FA's for however long that takes. Do you want to be completely shut out the first week of FA because you're trying to squeeze a 7th round pick out of Cousins? That would be foolish.

Eagles winning SBLII tonight with Foles is even more reason not to go after a high cost Cousins

Have to wonder if the Eagles will shop Foles again. Pretty hard to ask a guy who's the Super Bowl MVP to go back and sit on the bench.

The thing is.....if the Skins are only expecting a throw away pick.....why would they take the risk of franchising him and being stuck with his salary? There are four top ten talent QB's in this years draft. For a few of the teams that I mentioned with high picks.....I would suspect that they are looking to find a QB in the draft. I think the most likely landing spots for Cousins would be in Arizona or Kansas City. Two teams that could very well compete next year with competent QB play.

What risk? You don’t think anyone wants 29 year old starting QB in his prime? When has one of those ever had trouble getting a job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would Kansas City trade Smith and then acquire Cousins? The entire reason they traded Smith is that they are rolling with Mahomes. There is zero chance of Cousins in KC. Denver and Minnesota are the most likely spots IMO. Jets and Arizona as well, but Cousins wants to win now. If Cousins indicates he will refuse to sign an extension, no one is giving the Redskins anything of value.

I agree it's a dumb risk for the Skins. Even if they eventually trade him, they could end up unable to sign any FA's for however long that takes. Do you want to be completely shut out the first week of FA because you're trying to squeeze a 7th round pick out of Cousins? That would be foolish.

Again what risk? The only risk would be on Cousins part. Do you think he would forgo a multiple year contract for more guaranteed money for a one year contract just to stick it to the Skins? Plus sit on the bench behind Smith? No way. Dude wants the multiple year contract and any team who needs a QB will give up something. To be honest the Skins probably will be able to do a sign and trade forgoing any risk (have a trade partner in place) what so ever.

If they choose, they can get something for Cousins with minimal to no risk whatsoever.

Again what risk? The only risk would be on Cousins part. Do you think he would forgo a multiple year contract for more guaranteed money for a one year contract just to stick it to the Skins? Plus sit on the bench behind Smith? No way. Dude wants the multiple year contract and any team who needs a QB will give up something. To be honest the Skins probably will be able to do a sign and trade forgoing any risk (have a trade partner in place) what so ever.

If they choose, they can get something for Cousins with minimal to no risk whatsoever.

I'm not 100% clear on how the timing works with the salary cap, but if they trade for Smith and franchise Cousins on the first day of the league year, I'm fairly certain they would over the salary cap, rending them unable to sign any free-agents until the complete the Cousins trade. And if he wants to be difficult, it won't be an easy trade to make. I doubt he would agree to a sign and trade. Why should he? They're taking away his rights to choose his destination. Seems like a lot of potential trouble to get a 6th or 7th round pick.

I'm not 100% clear on how the timing works with the salary cap, but if they trade for Smith and franchise Cousins on the first day of the league year, I'm fairly certain they would over the salary cap, rending them unable to sign any free-agents until the complete the Cousins trade. And if he wants to be difficult, it won't be an easy trade to make. I doubt he would agree to a sign and trade. Why should he? They're taking away his rights to choose his destination. Seems like a lot of potential trouble to get a 6th or 7th round pick.

You may be right and I could be wrong (nothing new about that). I will bet you $1 million of money that I have no intentions of paying you should I loose that Snyder gets something of value for his unrestricted free agent QB.? Bet?[emoji41]

What risk? You don’t think anyone wants 29 year old starting QB in his prime? When has one of those ever had trouble getting a job?

As someone else mentioned.....Foles is still on a VERY team friendly contract. He'll be more sought after than Cousins. Kirk is maybe a top ten QB in the league. Maybe. Teams aren't going to be lining up to throw top three cash at him....as well as giving up any decent assets. The Skins are in a tough place now. Their only option is to let him walk.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Six bucks and my right nut says the Vikings open the season next year on the Thursday after Labor Day in Philadelphia.

As someone else mentioned.....Foles is still on a VERY team friendly contract. He'll be more sought after than Cousins. Kirk is maybe a top ten QB in the league. Maybe. Teams aren't going to be lining up to throw top three cash at him....as well as giving up any decent assets. The Skins are in a tough place now. Their only option is to let him walk.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Do you want in on my $1 million bet that I can’t afford and have no intentions on paying with Howie? The bet is the Redskins will get something of value for Cousin’s. Pretend put up or shut up buddy![emoji41]

Yeah because prosecutors always plead suspected murders down to misdemeanors! Stop it. That was prosecutorial misconduct overcharging him when they know he didn’t commit a murder.

Keep telling yourself that.

He took the plea to throw his guys under the bus.

The only misconduct by the prosecutor was that he was incompetent.

So Lewis spends 10's of thousands of dollars on a new suit and mink coat and they are never found? Witnesses say they saw people cleaning out the limo with laundry bags. Because there was blood evidence on his clothes. The limo driver was questioned hours afterwards and said Lewis was in the fight but recants that after he lawyers up? Lewis takes the plea deal but still pays off the fiance of one of the victims $4MM? Nobody ever got convicted for the murders, but Sweeting (one of Lewis' crew) released a rap song afterwards saying he wished he would have stabbed Lewis too. Fassett (limo driver) told the police he’d seen Sweeting, Oakley and Lewis all fighting. He said he’d heard Oakley boast, “I stabbed mine,” and Sweeting reply, “I stabbed mine, too.” When police got to Lewis’ room, they found blood there, too — but not Lewis, who had fled to his fiancée’s family home.

Lewis showed up at the club in Buckhead not with his pregnant fiance but some other chick. “Jesus Christ couldn’t please everybody...that’s my attitude. The real truth is, this was never about those two kids that were dead in the street, it’s about Ray Lewis. Don’t be mad at me because I was on center stage.” what a ****ing hero.

I have a work buddy that is a former prosecutor and he reviewed all the documents available on LexisNexis and simply can't believe how he can't be in prison.

He is a hunk of **** and I wish he were rotting in a cell.

A great OL is the way to go. Lots of QBs can be good if they have a ton of time.

Add as much quality depth to the lines as you possibly can. Our OL just wore down at the end of the year. Give any of our QBs time and they can all be successful.

Add as much quality depth to the lines as you possibly can. Our OL just wore down at the end of the year. Give any of our QBs time and they can all be successful.

Keep in mind that the Vikings were one of the better running teams in the league until their OL got dinged up beyond repair. Get healthy, add depth, stay healthy, get Cook back to full strength...easier said than done, but that's the formula.

Keep in mind that the Vikings were one of the better running teams in the league until their OL got dinged up beyond repair. Get healthy, add depth, stay healthy, get Cook back to full strength...easier said than done, but that's the formula.

The reason why I say add depth is I don't want to have to depend on luck. The OL are going to get dinged up and we need to have guys that can step in and play just as well. We got lucky this year that we had quality back up running backs and quality back up QB. You can't predict which guys will get injured but you can make sure you have quality depth behind them. The OL won that game for Philly, their defense was not good, their OL made foles look like an allstar.

Six bucks and my right nut says the Vikings open the season next year on the Thursday after Labor Day in Philadelphia.

Very likely. I'm OK with it. Rather get that one over early. They do also play the Falcons, Saints and obviously the Cowboys, so it's not a lock.

Not really. They ran the ball a lot because they were often ahead. But in YPC they were not one of the better teams. Getting Cook back will be huge. It's pretty likely they lose McKinnon though.

Do you want in on my $1 million bet that I can’t afford and have no intentions on paying with Howie? The bet is the Redskins will get something of value for Cousin’s. Pretend put up or shut up buddy![emoji41]

Snyder is generally an idiot, so he very well might do it, it will just have been a foolish move IMO.

Very likely. I'm OK with it. Rather get that one over early. They do also play the Falcons, Saints and obviously the Cowboys, so it's not a lock.

Philly goes to New Orleans. It's the NFC East teams, Carolina, Atlanta, Indy, Houston or the Vikings. The NFL loves Dallas, so that's certainly a possibility.

Snyder is generally an idiot, so he very well might do it, it will just have been a foolish move IMO.

I hope I’m right; I can alway use a pretend million dollars. [emoji857]

On Sendejo, I’ve never been a huge fan but if I’m not mistaken, he missed almost the entire second half against the Saints; left with a concussion after that WR pick/block blindside when the score was still 17-0. I believe all of the Saints scoring came when he was OFF the field.

I could be wrong though?

You are correct and I was wrong Sendejo didn’t play 2nd half. Or I could go with; I was misquoted! [emoji9]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chipper: Vikings positioned to build on success, but wrong quarterback move could ruin it

The organization is positioned nicely in many facets. But instability at quarterback hovers over the entire operation and will determine whether the Vikings are able to build on a season that ended one exit short of the Super Bowl.

“Since the day that my brother [Zygi], myself and our family purchased the team,” owner Mark Wilf said, “this is the best that we have felt about the direction of the organization.”

That might sound like spin after a disappointing finish but it’s also a reasonable snapshot of the organization. Especially when examining the framework now compared to where things stood after a heartbreaking loss in the 2009 NFC Championship.

There’s no comparison in terms of stability, except one glaring area: quarterback.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-...ong-quarterback-move-could-ruin-it/472984123/

Skol Vikes!!

per ESPN:

The Minnesota Vikings, who are coming off a 13-3 season and with all three quarterbacks on their roster eligible for free agency, should be at the top of Cousins' wish list. They have the cap space to make it happen. They have an elite defense, top-level wide receivers, a strong running game and an offensive line that -- while it might need some maintenance work in the coming years -- did an awfully good job of keeping Case Keenum clean in 2017. The question with the Vikings is how committed they are to developing Teddy Bridgewater as their long-term solution and rewarding Keenum for what he did in 2017. If they bring one or both of those guys back, that probably rules out Cousins. But if they see themselves a Cousins away from the Super Bowl, maybe they change the plan and go for it.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...k-cousins-free-agency-trade-sweepstakes-begun

Skol Vikes!!

Teddy is a great guy and all. And his rehab is a nice story. That said, I do not think he will ever be at the level KC is. Or even have a year like CK had this year. Folks, his knee blew out dropping back to pass in a no-contact practice drill.

Teddy is a great guy and all. And his rehab is a nice story. That said, I do not think he will ever be at the level KC is. Or even have a year like CK had this year. Folks, his knee blew out dropping back to pass in a no-contact practice drill.

Not arguing with you, but Goose Gossage tore a stomach muscle sneezing once; weird things do happen sometimes.

First the glaring obvious; NOBODY in the solar system who makes NFL decisions thought Case could or would do what he did......why not Teddy?

Second, we have one QB flat out better than Cousins (Bradford) and another based on this season just as good if not better.

Third; you are basing your opinion on what Teddy did in year 1 and 2 to experienced vets. Teddy could be Joe Montana or Joe Webb, we don’t know.

For me it comes down to money and knowing the players we have. I would sign the cheapest of these four players in this order.

1. Sam
2. Case
3. Nick Foles (reasonable trade)
4. Kirk C.

Talent wise there’s not a big difference between 2-4. My preference would be Sam, Teddy as his back up and a big time left tack (Joe Thomas!)

Now with that being said....what the hell do I know? You could be right![emoji41]

The more I hear from people who do deep breakdowns of Cousins the more nervous he makes me. I'm starting to lean towards a combo of Bradford/Teddy and let the best man win and pray one of them has two healthy knees. I'd still make a play for Brees and Eli first though.

The more I hear from people who do deep breakdowns of Cousins the more nervous he makes me. I'm starting to lean towards a combo of Bradford/Teddy and let the best man win and pray one of them has two healthy knees. I'd still make a play for Brees and Eli first though.

Love your take and I agree with Brees and Eli. People are sleeping on Eli, dude plays huge in big games.

Love your take and I agree with Brees and Eli. People are sleeping on Eli, dude plays huge in big games.

I would definitely make a run at Brees, although I doubt he leaves that cesspool called New Orleans.

Eli? I have mixed emotions. He could very well have a lot left in the tank but I heard a compelling argument recently that he’s actually been crappy for the last four plus seasons, OBJ just makes him look good enough at times to hide the warts; kind of like how Carter and Moss made Culpepper look like a HOF’er for a while.

If you can get Bradford to take high-end backup money, I would sign him and either Bridgewater or Keenum, Cousins, whatever.

Top Bottom